Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah when I was in high school I knew a girl named Calliope, which is either some Greek nymph that nobody cares about, or she was actually named after the circus organ.

But Astral? Defy? Naming your kid an ADJECTIVE or a VERB should be grounds for CPS.

kalliope is not just some nymph, she is one of the muses

it is a good name, esp how it is pronounced in greek, with the stress on the last syllable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i will sell anybody the "naming rights" to my baby, the catch is that i will just name the kid after your SA username but still this is a pretty good value PM me w/ interest

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
It seems strange that no one has commented on the fact that Time is completely worthless garbage for children and retards

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Whatev posted:

It seems strange that no one has commented on the fact that Time is completely worthless garbage for children and retards

http://www.theonion.com/video/time-announces-new-version-of-magazine-aimed-at-ad-17950

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

nomadologique posted:

i will sell anybody the "naming rights" to my baby, the catch is that i will just name the kid after your SA username but still this is a pretty good value PM me w/ interest

This actually seems like it has potential because a person can just get a legal name change after the fact.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

radiatinglines posted:

I was named my name because it was in a Tom Hank's movie, but it's also a pretty popular name

U guys can try to guess it or just reflect on the fact that I am a millennial posting about myself

Nick the Dick?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i promise NOT to change the name of the child he or she or it will have to wait 18 years to do so if it desires!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

nomadologique posted:

you didn't catch that they have twin names did you?

oh good that makes it all fine and cool in my book then. twin names ftw !!!!

wish my parents had named me a verb

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

You Are A Elf posted:

Nick the Dick?

That's Keaton. God drat Millenials.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

God drat Millenials.

get a job

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That's Keaton. God drat Millenials.

Brush up on your Adrian Zmed filmography, son.

Also, not a Millennial. Get off my lawn :bahgawd:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

plain blue jacket posted:

I remember a time when people weren't giving their kids stupid names

it must have been before humans developed language because humans have been named stupid rear end poo poo for a long rear end time

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

oh good that makes it all fine and cool in my book then. twin names ftw !!!!

wish my parents had named me a verb

no i mean one is named star defy and the other is named defy star

your critique doesn't run deep enough

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

You Are A Elf posted:

All I'm saying is that Tom loving Hanks wasn't in Mr. Mom and it's an atrocious insult to the body of work that Michael Keaton has developed from Jack Frost to Multiplicity.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah when I was in high school I knew a girl named Calliope, which is either some Greek nymph that nobody cares about, or she was actually named after the circus organ.

But Astral? Defy? Naming your kid an ADJECTIVE or a VERB should be grounds for CPS.

learned hand is a cool name tho. on the other hand, adjectives and verbs are best reserved for HMS vessels and USN fighter/bombers

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Stinky_Pete posted:

If she's of Greek descent nothin weird about that. If not it's a little pretentious.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nomadologique posted:

kalliope is not just some nymph, she is one of the muses

it is a good name, esp how it is pronounced in greek, with the stress on the last syllable

Wait, there's another way to pronounce it?

Do people honestly say "Cally ope"?

\/\/\/Exactly. I've never heard anyone say it any other way than that.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 16, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

kallioPEE

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

unless you are asking about a diff way to pronounce it besides the greek way, which is stress on the second syllable (kallEYEopee)

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you have never heard the stress on the second syllable? that is very surprising, that is the way it is almost universally pronounced in the united states (dunno if you are american)

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

nomadologique posted:

Name your kid after me bacon is too too hot right now. Your spawn will blow up social media.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do people honestly say "Cally ope"?

there's a calliope street in new orleans that's pronounced exactly like that

i used to live a block off of milan street that was pronounced MILE-ann

new orleans is fun like that

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

no i mean one is named star defy and the other is named defy star

your critique doesn't run deep enough

Tarde Fyster

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's a calliope street in new orleans that's pronounced exactly like that

i used to live a block off of milan street that was pronounced MILE-ann

new orleans is fun like that

There's a town near me called Versailles pronounced "Ver-Sails". What can you do? If you pronounce it how you think it should be pronounced, nobody knows what you're talking about or thinks you're being pretentious and French.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
Treaty of Ver sails

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Portland OR has a street downtown named Couch. Except it's pronounced 'cooch'. I can't put that one on loving millenials; people in general seem determined to bolster their fierce regional group identity by butchering the pronunciation of a few things, and then acting indignant with the rest of the world that knows how the language properly works.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Seems like there's an awful lot of boys around the age of 10 with the name Hunter right now.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Mad Monk posted:

Seems like there's an awful lot of boys around the age of 10 with the name Hunter right now.

Knock off trolling around bass pro/cabelas

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mad Monk posted:

Hunter, Gunner, Tanner, Foster, Ryder,

and loving Jacksons everywhere

The next wave is all Cameron, Kayden, Brayden, Hayden, Tristan, Aiden, Mason, and Logan. gently caress you Wolverine.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Two baseball players I like are named Hunter and Madison :buddy:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gotta give my kid an unconventional individualistic name that all of the other kids have so that he can get a head start on his personal brand. its all about branding

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FogHelmut posted:

The next wave is all Cameron, Kayden, Brayden, Hayden, Tristan, Aiden, Mason, and Logan. gently caress you Wolverine.

Brayden, he's the one who married Brylee, right? Or was it Jaymee?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Hunter, Gunner, Tanner, Foster, Ryder

Interesting choice of job-classes.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

hi I'm joseph and this is my son gayretard it's from my favorite post apocalyptic graphic novella

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy living mother of gently caress. Is that JR Jim Ross off wrestling sportscasting fame, also sufferer of Bells Palsy, implying fellatio!?!?

Appropriate response, I think :vince:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The weird thing is that I've recently seen more WASPs give their kids normal names with really messed up spelling or pronunciation then turning around and looking down on black folks that do the same thing and have for god knows how long.

Oh sure, Jenniue is such a better name than Kassandrah, totally

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You got lovely made-up acquaintances.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You got lovely made-up acquaintances.

Hell no I don't want to talk go those people. Gf just coaches their kids and the roster sheet looks like alphabet soup

Ex: Linley (not Lindsey) pronounced "Lin-Lee" with a stop inbetween. Not a small Asian girl as I had though, just really weird WASP parents. Others: Ashlynn, Bruklyn, Brett, Skylur. All girls

VVV might just be my area. We live on the border of a pretty upscale "we aren't the one percent but want to pretend we are" town

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 16, 2015

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i coach a soccer team whose parents are mostly millennials, they have pretty normal names. Mia, Olivia, Madeline, Megan, Kate, Leanne, Emma, Elyssa, Carissa, Sonia, Zakia and Arushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FogHelmut posted:

and a friend of mine from hs has named two of her children after a video game and an 80s movie:

aeris seraphina (two first names)

bastian

we laughed our asses off when she announced over fb each time

• Locked thread