Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Jokes on him if he has the stock drz seat.

I'd suggest he swap it out with a piece of wood.

After riding a Tiger, I actually thought there was a block of wood on my seat when I got back onto my drz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

After riding a Tiger, I actually thought there was a block of wood on my seat when I got back onto my drz.

I'm assuming that you can't even perceive your rear end now that you have a zrex.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'm assuming that you can't even perceive your rear end now that you have a zrex.

In a good way?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Actually I don't totally love the stock seat. It isn't bad, but if I am going to tour with it I am going to have to get a Sargent. Plus girly can't stay put on the pillion and keeps trying to sit on my spine.

Still way more comfortable than the drz, especially on my commute to work. Now I can take it easy and listen to podcasts about Roman history or SA's own Alcohollywood! Commuting on the DRZ felt like a god drat workout every time. I would set the ipod to some :rock: and :black101: my way down the highway.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I had no idea how big Delaware is. Turns out it's loving tiny which I assume is your joke.

It's about a 5,000km round trip with a bunch of elevation/temperature changes. But the main hilarity is that he's a middle aged man and thinks two hours in the saddle with dual sport tyres on a drz is easily doable.

https://mapfight.appspot.com/texas-vs-nz/texas-new-zealand-size-comparison

Get hosed.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I had no idea how big Delaware is. Turns out it's loving tiny which I assume is your joke.

It's about a 5,000km round trip with a bunch of elevation/temperature changes. But the main hilarity is that he's a middle aged man and thinks two hours in the saddle with dual sport tyres on a drz is easily doable.

Is it that bad? 2 hours is a typical Saturday afternoon trail ride.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

It isn't bad, but if I am going to tour with it I am going to have to get a Sargent.

You just need enough miles to develop the proper nerve damage.

And a Bead Rider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

2.57:1 is also the size ratio between the average texan and me.

clutchpuck posted:

Is it that bad? 2 hours is a typical Saturday afternoon trail ride.

Someone with a DRZ chime in on this, what's two hours of motorway like on your piles?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Someone with a DRZ chime in on this, what's two hours of motorway like on your piles?

Once you get used to it, it isn't too bad. But I also spent a lot of time shifting around the seat, standing, dancing, etc. If I hadn't spent much time on it recently and then did a 2 hour ride without changing my posture much? I'd say it probably feels comparable to a day at the gym after not working out. Bit of soreness and instability, but overall bearable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dutymode posted:

I really don't want to winterize my bike. Is keeping it covered outdoors absolutely terrible? It would still be my primary transportation on dry/not snow covered days.

Depends entirely on your climate and how much weather it is exposed to. This bike was wintered outdoors, covered. Now look, LOOK AT IT.

You'll probably not neglect it as bad as me, but shelter it as much as you can. Next to a wall opposite the prevailing winds, under a roof if possible, ridden once in a while, it'll be fine. But taking the battery indoors and putting it on a tender now and then is worth the effort, even for a few weeks.

Quality > Quantity

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Quality > Quantity

Bearing in mind you're talking about Texas.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I took mine 700mi to death valley last weekend. the seats bad, but not klr bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Linedance posted:

Bearing in mind you're talking about Texas.

In large enough amounts, quantity becomes a quality.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Foxtrot_13 posted:

drat right.

Is there snow on the roads or ice?

If no then you can ride. All the winterising you need is ACF50 for the salt

I tried this.
It doesn't work so well. Motorcycle street tires don't like 20F weather.
That and when you get to work and it snows all day, you're pretty much hosed trying to commute home in traffic.
You're a danger to yourself and others trying to clutch it home creeping along in 5mph traffic.

Then again there's always this:

But it winds up feeling like this:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

2 hours aint poo poo, after the first one your rear end goes numb

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have some thoughts regarding one of your VFRs...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Too bad most of Texas is a flat, boring wasteland.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
People told me that and it's mostly true, but I-10 was curiously scenic and hill country is nice. Some good riding between Austin and San Antonio.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
On battery talk, mine died woo. Luckily autozone actually carries AGM batteries now. No more making double trips to buy it then let them charge and pick it back up. Although its nearly 2x the cost, figured I would give it a shot once. Scum tip straight from the autozone employee: Bring it back just before the 90 day warranty is up and they'll just give you a new one since they can't/wont test motorcycle batteries; not sure I'm up to actually do that though.

*edit*
Actually now I'm confused, are the ones you add liquid acid to and have them charge AGM? No idea wtf I got then, it said AGM on the side of the box, but it was pre-charged and I didn't have to add acid.

I guess both are AGM, did I just pay more to have it be pre-charged, or are the duralast golds in some way better than the normal duralasts?

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 17, 2015

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I bought a Shorai Lithium today for my Blackbird. The drat thing feels like a fake battery prop, incredibly light compared to the Yuasa its replacing, however the rated CCA output is pretty amazing. Anyone else have any experience with this brand?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Lotsa people get surprised that solid chunks of lead weigh more than lithium.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TEAH SYAG posted:

I bought a Shorai Lithium today for my Blackbird. The drat thing feels like a fake battery prop, incredibly light compared to the Yuasa its replacing, however the rated CCA output is pretty amazing. Anyone else have any experience with this brand?

I have a shorai too. It's great but apparently earthx is better. You need the shorai charger if you gently caress things up. Also, the whole amps thing is kind of funky and you should get the biggest battery that fits. This thread is the best info I've found on it but it's pretty dense. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/motorcycle-batteries-agm-gel-wet-lithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4.757934/

Also, in the winter/when it's cold you'll need to crank a couple times to get the juice flowing. Basically you need some electric flow to warm the battery up so it can deliver all its amps. Sort of the opposite of traditional where if you crank and it's not starting you just give up because your battery is done. For me that equates to cranking once or twice before it starts right up the first time I start the bike when it's cold (below 40ish F). So that sucks but on the other hand I haven't had any problem with the cold draining the battery like I did with a regular battery.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I tried this.
It doesn't work so well. Motorcycle street tires don't like 20F weather.
That and when you get to work and it snows all day, you're pretty much hosed trying to commute home in traffic.
You're a danger to yourself and others trying to clutch it home creeping along in 5mph traffic.

R1sjaak is a goddamn national treasure. :geert:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm trying to replce the little rubber compression grommet things on my CB500x, they are torn to poo poo.

Problem is, i've tried to order what i thought was replacements from bikebandit and they obviously the wrong part.

So help me out, how can i get the replacement grommet thing? Whats the actual part?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but maybe use this site to look up the correct part.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Honda Parts House is great, and check out local dealers. My local dealer, Western Honda, has the same prices and maybe even a little cheaper on their online parts list with free shipping to store. They use the same parts browser thing as Honda Parts House, so it's easy to navigate. They also ship if you're interested in ordering from them.

As for what you're talking about, I have no idea what you're talking about. The only rubber I can recall on my cbr500r is the pegs, rubber in the brake calipers, and the hole things that the fairings push into (plastic knob instead of a bolt).

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
Could there be any harm in using the tire pump for my bicycle also for my motorcycle tires? It's a solid pump that I use for my racing bike tires up to 9 bar (900 kPa); my motorcycle needs between 2 bar and 2.5 bar.

Last Sunday I had a mandatory safety and dynamics training (I got my license in August). It was very helpful and lots of fun. I think I handled my bike well in general, especially in cornering. However, braking was a significant problem for me and I always stopped much later than the other participants. My main problem was that I used the front brake way too little, and rear brake too much. I had no problem coping with the locked rear tire and the fishtailing, but of course this is a very bad situation overall.
I know that the biggest part of improving my braking is to ride, ride, and ride - and to do so consciously to get used to it and to improve. Other than that, do you have any suggestions for improvement?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ridgewell posted:

Could there be any harm in using the tire pump for my bicycle also for my motorcycle tires?

Only wear and tear on the pump and your joints, the difference in volume between the two is pretty big.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I use a floor pump to maintain my tyre pressures, it works fine, although I'm not entirely sure how accurate the analog pressure gauge on it is. I have a digital one I keep meaning to cross-check it with, but the bike has TPMS anyway.

For small tweaks to pressure a hand pump would be fine but if it's more than that, no thanks. I wouldn't want to have to pump a tyre up from mostly flat even with a floor pump, really.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ridgewell posted:

Could there be any harm in using the tire pump for my bicycle also for my motorcycle tires? It's a solid pump that I use for my racing bike tires up to 9 bar (900 kPa); my motorcycle needs between 2 bar and 2.5 bar

Record yourself doing it and then upload it to youtube at 10x speed with the Benny Hill theme over it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I use my bicycle pump for my motorbile tires all the time :confused:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

Same, it fills the tire really quickly.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

M42 posted:

Same. My only regret is that I didn't buy a pump with a built-in pressure gauge.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Grab an accugauge off Amazon for cheap, I'd trust that more than any gauge on a bike pump.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

I've used one of these on a race car:

It was tiring but works perfectly well on bikes.

On the other hand, one of these deserves the benny hill treatment:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Fifty Three posted:

Same. My only regret is that I didn't buy a pump with a built-in pressure gauge.

My bicycle pump has a built in gauge and it reads way too high. The little electronic doodad I have however works great.

It also surprises me how little pumps it needs to top up compared to a bicycle. A+ would pump again.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My lovely 900RR makes a single, soft popping noise under hard use of the front brakes. There's definitely noise due to the lack of backing plates on the pads but I thought it might be the stem bearings. I tightened the stem nut with a thin spanner wrench but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Maybe the bearings are just bad.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Slavvy posted:

On the other hand, one of these deserves the benny hill treatment:

I've beaded a Q2 with one of those. If you've ever attempted to seat the bead on a Dunlop, you'd know how impressive that is. Those pumps don't gently caress around, apparently.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Yerok posted:

My lovely 900RR makes a single, soft popping noise under hard use of the front brakes. There's definitely noise due to the lack of backing plates on the pads but I thought it might be the stem bearings. I tightened the stem nut with a thin spanner wrench but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Maybe the bearings are just bad.

It could also be the forks, or your rotor buttons, or the pads moving in the caliper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

I've beaded a Q2 with one of those. If you've ever attempted to seat the bead on a Dunlop, you'd know how impressive that is. Those pumps don't gently caress around, apparently.

:catstare: I have. What the gently caress.