Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mega Man is a democrat. Maybe they're thinking of Protoman who is a die hard libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Then what is Contra?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

greatn posted:

Mega Man is a democrat. Maybe they're thinking of Protoman who is a die hard libertarian.

Nah, Megaman is clearly a hard-working Patriot who respects his elders. He's clearly a Republican.

Bass, who has a bad rear end dog and no moral center is clearly the Democrat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

Then what is Contra?

Gun owners killing illegal aliens. They are the Minuteman Project.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

its incredibly chill how none of these dumbfucks have a clue what kind of fire they're playing with.

And some are even elected to national office!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

One even became President!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I don't know which is scarier, the ones that legitimately believe what they are doing is going to result in a positive outcome or the ones that are cynically doing it for personal gain despite knowing that it could lead to disaster.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

One even became President!

:raise:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.foia.cia.gov/collection/PDBs

The CIA has released a collection of 2500 Presidential Briefing Products, starting from the very first one given to JFK on June 17 1961, all the way to 1969 under the Johnson administration.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This ignores that Democrats aren't going to go along with removing Boehner while he's busy doing things they want done. Removing Boehnher would take a virtually unanimous vote of the Republican caucus without Democrats. And while many of the Republicans don't want to vote for the debt ceiling increase, they want someone else to vote for it and Boehner taking the blame is perfect for them.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 16, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's leaking that Bernie Sanders meet privately with Sandra Bland's mom but never publicized it, which is either a nice thing to do or a really smart calculated political move when you know it's going to come out later anyway and you get credit for not publicizing it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread .

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Did you guys see Kepler found a star that almost definitely is being orbited by a Dyson sphere ?

That's just one of their many running hypothesis for its behavior, hardly almost definitely.

Still cool af of course.

Weirdly if they reexamine the stars light pulsing it translates into Morse code:

B-E-R-N-I-E

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

This ignores that Democrats aren't going to go along with removing Boehner while he's busy doing things they want done. Removing Boehnher would take a virtually unanimous vote of the Republican caucus without Democrats. And while many of the Republicans don't want to vote for the debt ceiling increase, they want someone else to vote for it and Boehner taking the blame is perfect for them.

Oh, I know it's empty, but its telling none-the-less.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

But the house can't go Speakerless, right? So they can't remove Boehner unless they replace him with someone, and there aren't necessarily 218 votes to get a new speaker. Even though there are definitely 218 votes to get important bills passed, like naming post offices and not making GBS threads the world financial markets.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sullat posted:

But the house can't go Speakerless, right? So they can't remove Boehner unless they replace him with someone, and there aren't necessarily 218 votes to get a new speaker. Even though there are definitely 218 votes to get important bills passed, like naming post offices and not making GBS threads the world financial markets.

I believe that if the speaker's office is vacated that nothing can be considered until a new one is elected. So they can absolutely remove him without a new speaker, they just grind the entire place to a halt if they do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mods please change to USPOL October: “an economic fetal position.”

Good articles but I love that loving phrase.

evilweasel posted:

I believe that if the speaker's office is vacated that nothing can be considered until a new one is elected. So they can absolutely remove him without a new speaker, they just grind the entire place to a halt if they do.

And the Republican plan is revealed " This one great trick Democrats don't want you to know about shutting down the government"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 16, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

evilweasel posted:

so basically business as usual :smug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that's a win for the lunatic Republicans in their view. Having the US legislature just stop working. Not being able to pay Federal Workers, ending of Social Security payments ( SSI is first to go).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
After they get a continuing resolution and debt ceiling hike the democrats should absolutely help the right wingers if they want to try and eliminate Boehner. Their caucus can't get another speaker by themselves and the moderates will have to work with the democrats to get a consensus speaker or there will be no speaker.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No they shouldn't at all.

Also what's up with the DNC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'd rather not play apocalyptic games of brinksmanship with insane psychos.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm taking about after they get the Apocalypse out of the way. You think the Republicans will keep a non functioning literally cannot legally vote on anything leaderless Congress all the way through an election?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I read a FB post about how Obummer HATES OUR TROOPS SO MUCH that he's cut them down to two meals a day while MURDERERS AND RAPISTS GET THREE. What's the real story?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

As a senator Obama was against raising the debt ceiling

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Art 1 sec 2 says the house "shall choose their speaker" but I don't think that is the imperative or command form of shall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

Yeah I'd rather not play apocalyptic games of brinksmanship with insane psychos.

No I agree that they should get the debt ceiling increase but after that they should just let the Republican party tear apart it's membership.

Basically raise Debt Ceiling limit etc.. prevent catastrophe let the Republican party suffer more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

If the Republicans can't agree, is a Pelosi speakership possible? Does it require plurality or majority?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the Republicans can't agree, is a Pelosi speakership possible? Does it require plurality or majority?

No, and majority.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

zoux posted:

If you manage to avoid those games, all you're doing is maintaining the status quo through a delicate balancing act bound to go awry at any moment. This is the end game of the US political system - eventually you will have an apocalyptic game of brinkmanship over every last little thing, and then the government will just cease to function in any reasonable capacity. The only possible way it could not go that way is if the Republican party implodes and you have a left-of-center majority in Congress for a long, long time. And that last one is unlikely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was honestly surprised Paul Ryan did not accept on Wednesday. I think the party is trying to convince Boehner to fall on his sword and then they'll put someone in as the Speaker.

Democrats shouldn't do anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I read a FB post about how Obummer HATES OUR TROOPS SO MUCH that he's cut them down to two meals a day while MURDERERS AND RAPISTS GET THREE. What's the real story?

There isn't one.

I also read something today that Bernie received a donation from a pharma head in exchange for a meeting with him, and he donated the money to a hospital instead and still refused to meet with the pharma people.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stopping SSI payments would be a nasty surprise for the crusty olds who keep pulling the lever for Tea Party assholes because they think it'll hurt other people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

This is the end game of the US political system - eventually you will have an apocalyptic game of brinkmanship over every last little thing, and then the government will just cease to function in any reasonable capacity.

Nah this is a temporary aberration.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I *think* they could use the discharge petition to bring things to the floor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr. Nice! posted:

There isn't one.

Well I figured that but usually there's something they're willfully misinterpreting or exaggerating beyond belief to get to the level of Facebook image macro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

greatn posted:

I'm taking about after they get the Apocalypse out of the way. You think the Republicans will keep a non functioning literally cannot legally vote on anything leaderless Congress all the way through an election?

Yes, if the Rightwing base stays fired up and holding the keys to the bus.

All they're seeing is "Washington is broken and the insiders won't do what we want! Gotta vote 'em out!" As far as they're concerned, the fault lies with the moderates who can't/won't deliver them the world they were promised, not the hostage takers doing God's work. It doesn't help that three of the presidential front-runners (Cruz is third/fourth, right?) are actively fomenting that narrative among their faithful- who combined form a little more than half of GOP primary voters.

The Freedom Caucus hasn't compromised yet and it's in their immediate interest (at least as they see it) to stay the course.

I would expect to see Boehner stick around for a long time, if the Democrats can help it.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
CNBC has acquiesced to Trump's demand to limit the next debate to two hours. He can really make the media do anything he wants, can't he?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kro-Bar posted:

CNBC has acquiesced to Trump's demand to limit the next debate to two hours. He can really make the media do anything he wants, can't he?

Someone forgot the moral of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kro-Bar posted:

He is, in this regard, the Nega-Clinton.

• Locked thread