Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it says the ethics board only recommended the suspension, but Hans Joachim Eckhert has the final decision. The same Hans Joachim Eckhert who butchered the Garcia report because it was too damning of FIFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Guardian is reporting that Platini may also get suspended, which would rule him out from the presidency since he'd still be suspended past the nomination deadline. They followed up by pointing out that the two guys who would take over UEFA and FIFA while Blatter and Platini are suspended are also both crazy corrupt.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Guardian is reporting that Platini may also get suspended, which would rule him out from the presidency since he'd still be suspended past the nomination deadline. They followed up by pointing out that the two guys who would take over UEFA and FIFA while Blatter and Platini are suspended are also both crazy corrupt.

quote:

The extent to which Fifa remains mired in chaos is reflected in the fact that if Blatter is suspended then Issa Hayatou, the longstanding senior Fifa vice-president, would take over.

Hayatou was once censured by the International Olympic Committee over bribery claims, which he denied, and recently changed the statutes of the Confederation of African Football to allow him to retain the presidency he has held since 1988.

At Uefa, the immediate replacement for Platini would be the longstanding Spanish FA chief Ángel María Villar-Llona, who also remains under investigation by the Fifa ethics committee for failing to cooperate with Michael Garcia’s investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids. Garcia later quit in frustration with Eckert’s summary of his findings.

I loving love FIFA

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I can't wait for fifa president tokyo sexwale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
blatter has already made sure some korean billionaire who isn't one of his supporters is unable to stand for election lol

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003
Reuters are reporting the FIFA ethics committee has provisionally suspended Blatter, Platini and Jerome Valcke for 90 days, which may be extended for up to an additional 45 days.

Here's the release:

Independent Ethics Committee bans several football officials
The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee chaired by Hans-Joachim Eckert has provisionally banned FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, UEFA President and FIFA Vice-President Michel Platini, and FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke (who has already been put on leave by his employer FIFA) for a duration of 90 days. The duration of the bans may be extended for an additional period not exceeding 45 days. The former FIFA Vice-President Chung Mong-joon has been banned for six years and fined CHF 100,000. During this time, the above individuals are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately.
The grounds for these decisions are the investigations that are being carried out by the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee. The chairman of the chamber is Dr Cornel Borbély. The investigation into Joseph S. Blatter is being carried out by Robert Torres, the investigation into Michel Platini by Vanessa Allard.
The proceedings against the South Korean football official Chung Mong-joon were opened in January 2015 based on findings in the report on the investigation into the bidding process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cups™. He has been found guilty of infringing article 13 (General rules of conduct), article 16 (Confidentiality), article 18 (Duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting), article 41 (Obligation of the parties to collaborate) and article 42 (General obligation to collaborate) of the FIFA Code of Ethics.
The Ethics Committee is unable to comment on the details of the decisions until they become final, due to the provisions of article 36 (Confidentiality) of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm going to laugh my massive face off at most of the posters in this thread when Sepp (who is due for an honorary knighthood next year) retains control of FIFA in February by being the sole incorruptible member of the organisation.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Even if big Sepp goes to prison he'll remain head of FIFA

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
He'll never be charged or convicted never mind jailed. He's a victim as much as anyone else.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
gd please ban anybody who posts about john oliver being funny

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

platini can't attend the euro 2016 draw

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
90 days seems just and fair. Hopefully this provides closure to this whole messy affair.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

With a bit of luck and enough suspensions, the line of succession will fall to the janitor.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

With a bit of luck and enough suspensions, the line of succession will fall to the janitor.

I am lead to believe that janitors in Switzerland all have at least a doctorate. Good choice op.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Goetta posted:

90 days seems just and fair. Hopefully this provides closure to this whole messy affair.

Because of double jeopardy, this will be all the punishment he will face.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

MoPZiG posted:

I am lead to believe that janitors in Switzerland all have at least a doctorate. Good choice op.

Most of the janitors are from Albania or the Balkans. So less doctorates and more war criminals!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Blatter will control FIFA from prison using an old Nokia cellphone

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

advanced statsman posted:

lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

poo poo Farm posted:

gd please ban anybody who posts about john oliver being funny

I don't think you should judge other people's humour when you have a penny arcade avatar tbh

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

advanced statsman posted:

Is Sepp known for Nokia phones? I don't get the joke!

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Blatter did nothing wrong

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
FIFA may delay their presidential elections, presumably so Blatter can run again.

I loving love FIFA, me.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

This! This!!

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

If he's suspended then how will he be able to submit his resignation

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

oliwan posted:

I don't think you should judge other people's humour when you have a penny arcade avatar tbh

he's right though imo

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

We'll get through this together my friend

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/11/fifas-135m-payment-to-michel-platini-there-was-no-written-contract

Apparently the contract that said plantini was owed that 1.35 million euros doesn't actually exist but it's ok because sepp blatter made an oral agreement with plantini to pay him an extra 500k a year

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

UEFA and CONMEBOL both still want platini to be the next fifa leader

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
have they arrested anyone from a first world country yet?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

El Hefe posted:

have they arrested anyone from a first world country yet?

um...usa count?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MoPZiG posted:

um...usa count?

of course not lmao

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So we all cool with Sheikh Salman (Asia confed head) being the new FIFA godking?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

it's just a bit of banter

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

8raz posted:

it's just a bit of banter

It's a good thing for him the banter zone hasn't signed an extradition treaty with the USA.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MoPZiG posted:

So we all cool with Sheikh Salman (Asia confed head) being the new FIFA godking?

No, we're not. I've seen a few posters itt who are posting the same things I've been posting for months about blatter being literally the only good thing at FIFA, but I've got a feeling I'm the only one who actually believes that.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

MoPZiG posted:

wow they really went all out in retracting the fatwah

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

chuggo is BACK posted:

wow they really went all out in retracting the fatwah

Lol

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

No, we're not. I've seen a few posters itt who are posting the same things I've been posting for months about blatter being literally the only good thing at FIFA, but I've got a feeling I'm the only one who actually believes that.

It's because you sound like a parody and people assume you are trolling. You should reiterate how you think Blatter is the best thing to happen to football since Zidanes headbutt.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Sepp Blatter interview in German from today

Apparently during this interview, Blatter says "everyone is against Sepp Blatter and it is not fair and not sporting."

The interview ended with this:

The fuckin guy makes a fist with his thumb tucked inside lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dravs posted:

It's because you sound like a parody and people assume you are trolling. You should reiterate how you think Blatter is the best thing to happen to football since Zidanes headbutt.

Why the heck would I troll about this subject? I mean I know many people who posted here only posted here because of some ridiculous patriotic USA! USA! thing when the initial (for those posters) news broke about FIFA being corrupt. But still. This is a subject I'm genuinely passionate about, and while the joke among every single football fan alive was 'blatter is a oval office' most of us now realise he's actually got the interests of the sport at heart, not personal financial gain. Unlike most of the Americans involved in the organisation.

International organisation corrupt, breaking news.

Blatter helped change the face of international football for the better. He made sure world cups were played in Asia and Africa. His vision for football was solid. Has been solid. Unfortunately for him the people around him, who I'm pretty sure he had little say over, did what most capitalist cunts do in similar positions.

Me. Me. Me. Me. Me.

Blatter is not at fault and I'll be proved right on this eventually.