Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fintilgin posted:

Weird. The mini map literally says the title of the board game.

I imagine it's a placeholder because the event cards and description scream Hannibal.

Alikchi posted:

Oh this is fantastic! Last I heard the guy was working on another ancient era game so this comes completely out of left field for me.

The map looks straight-up awful, though. The art in general, really. Hopefully it's less offensive without jpeg compression.

e: oh it's not related to Hannibal: Rome & Carthage? I'm confused now. Makes sense though.

Yeah the art looks bad.

BTW, Hannibal: Rome & Carthage(The computer game) is not the same as Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage(a board game, one of the first CDGs after We the People).

The screenshots of everything other than the map look exactly like Hannibal from the combat to the cards, so i'm inclined to believe that it's placeholder stuff rather than a port of that game.

"The Genius of Napoleon" is basically a dead ringer for "Hannibal's Punic Tricks", for example.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TehKeen posted:

ruthless german efficiency :ghitler:

I'd be all over a new goon CM LP. I'd particularly like to see how all of the fancy modern stuff works in CMBS. This is probably wishful thinking on my part but are there actual on-map air units like helicopters, or just drones? I'd be all over having an air cav unit.

Working on the OP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

Working on the OP.

You magnificent bastard.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Grey Hunter posted:

Working on the OP.

:allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm hoping to see some FI action this time around.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Someone saying CM 4.0 made me try to look in to it. I'm an idiot for expecting their site to halfway function on a mobile device. Regardless, found a roadmap post on their forums and for anyone else like me who didn't know about it:

Their next family will be Battle Of the Bulge themed. Very little detail beyond timeframe (Oct-Jan 1944-45) and VERY basic unit details (US and Germany).

They're planning "Battle Packs" of scenarios and/or campaigns for existing games. First one is for CMBN and will tie the modules and vehicle packs together a little more.

They plan to start on FI's second module, "Gothic Line." This will take Italy through the end of the war.

Then they will start RT's first module. No details beyond, "The details are a little fuzzy at present, though it is safe to say it will be packed full of fun. Think winter combat and the inclusion of Waffen SS and LW forces not seen in Red Thunder." Hopefully the fun isn't limited to a $10 patch.

They haven't forgotten about Black Sea allegedly.

4.0: "Besides new content we are starting work on Upgrade 4.0 very soon. We aren't sure when it will be ready for release, or specifically what will be in it yet, though we do have a long list based on your suggestions, so no worries there. What I can say is we're focusing this Upgrade on long standing requests. I can think of one that was first suggested sometime around 1998."

Maybe this means they'll FINALLY fix their inexplicably unplayably poo poo performance! Unlikely though. Maybe it'll be a TacAI overhaul so it isn't a stupid piece of poo poo! Or maybe it's just AI in general so scenarios don't break after you know the scripting! The fact that they have very little idea themselves about what it'll contain is SUPER worrisome for a loving TEN DOLLAR PATCH!

"In semi-related news we're working hard on a new website, new store, and new Repository. It's been a while since we've overhauled these aspects of Battlefront and it's definitely time we did."

I just want their games to run well, I'll accept the terrible TacAI if I can just get 6030 FPS from my loving modern gaming rig.

Yeah no, not expecting any improvements on that front :negative:

Also Black Sea stuff sounding years off. Wouldnt be so bad If you could actually mod vehicles and make new ones beyond skins. So groggy, so mod unfriendly.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
But then people might not buy expansion packs!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Goon advice is best advice.

I managed to get a marginal victory in Flashpoint's A Time to Dance scenario.

There's a few things I could have done differently, looking forward to trying that out. But I can't help feel that there's a whole ton of map that's not doing anything. For some reason the Soviet artillery never fired on me, I didn't even know it was there until the end of the game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Working on the OP.

u no im v

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I found the British campaign in Flashpoint campaigns to be a lot of fun. Brit forces are a bit less high tech and mobile than US forces, but are very resilient and the missions are well designed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yooper posted:

But I can't help feel that there's a whole ton of map that's not doing anything.

I believe (but could be wrong?) that this is because the AI can follow several different preset "paths" around the map, so that no single game plays out in exactly the same way.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

THREAD - Come die for my entertainment minions!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
On that note I'd be down for some small-scale Black Sea PBEM games, I've never actually played with modern equipment against other people before.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

On that note I'd be down for some small-scale Black Sea PBEM games, I've never actually played with modern equipment against other people before.

I'd be down for a pbem.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAc6fgOhI8
This is from a PBEM :q:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

FUIT man

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jesus Christ NWS that poo poo :captainpop:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What the gently caress where those BBs supposed to accomplish. Please tell me he wasn't trying to bombard Singapore. :negative:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Holy smoke -- the allied player's dream come true.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I guess that's one way to start the war :stare: Hell of a thing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Why doesn't WitE get cool pseudo-animations like that?

(Just so I can turn them off 30 seconds after watching it)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pharnakes posted:

What the gently caress where those BBs supposed to accomplish. Please tell me he wasn't trying to bombard Singapore. :negative:

I assume it was to cover the Mersing gambit (turn 1 invasion just north of Singapore) but you should be running long range zero CAP over your ships if you are brave enough to try it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Mersing gambit without nearly enough effort expended in suppressing singers. I lost a CA and a CL and 3 DD the next turn.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Saros posted:

I assume it was to cover the Mersing gambit (turn 1 invasion just north of Singapore) but you should be running long range zero CAP over your ships if you are brave enough to try it.

Is that the first time a vildebeest has ever done anything?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Panzeh posted:

Is that the first time a vildebeest has ever done anything?

Dude, Vildebeests own. Allies have very few options for reliably delivering torpedoes in the first few months of the war and Vildebeests can do major damage if they never see an enemy plane.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Dude, Vildebeests own. Allies have very few options for reliably delivering torpedoes in the first few months of the war and Vildebeests can do major damage if they never see an enemy plane.

Seriously, Vildebeests are among the most lethal planes in the DEI and pretty much the only thing a Japanese player really has to worry about in the first month of the war.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ArchangeI posted:

Seriously, Vildebeests are among the most lethal planes in the DEI and pretty much the only thing a Japanese player really has to worry about in the first month of the war.

This. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks Battlefront, but I don't need a website icon installed on my desktop linking to your site everytime I install your games. It's not 1995 anymore, we have these things called 'bookmarks'.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even better are the installers for toolbars their games include. What the gently caress use would a Battlefront toolbar even be!?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This guy would love it.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Even better are the installers for toolbars their games include. What the gently caress use would a Battlefront toolbar even be!?

I wonder if they're a part of the HPS simulations web ring.

If my children ask me one day what the internet was like in the 90's, there will always grog websites.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for reminding me webrings were things.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I used to post on the Battlefront forums and I remember for YEARS the entire forums used to just be a frame embedded within the real website, so you couldn't use your forward/backward buttons, have multiple windows or tabs, link to specific threads... just basic forum functionality completely failing.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
A few years ago, I had to write some custom filters to get the Matrix Games forums to be tolerable.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Does anyone have any recommendations for strategic level Pacific War (as in World War 2) games that aren't ludicrously detailed/difficult to learn? Basically something simpler than War in the Pacific, but which still gets the feeling of the Pacific across.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Try War Plan Pacific http://www.shrapnelgames.com/KE_Studios/WPP/WPP_page.html. There's a demo that gives you a good idea of the gameplay.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Command: Northern Inferno is out today. First time I've been on the dev team for a game with a release!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Command: Northern Inferno is out today. First time I've been on the dev team for a game with a release!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno

:stare: that price.

Did they miss a zero or something? This isn't the Matrix I know.

e: I'm definitely getting this, but still... if you want me to buy the base game you are going to need to dig deep on the christmas sale discount.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 22, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, well at that price I'm pretty much obligated to buy it with how much I've preached about reasonable prices. gently caress.

E: And it's available on steam?!? :vince:

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And a tutorial that doesn't require me to refer step-by-step to a pdf manual to explain what's going on? What is this madness?