Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

That's why they didn't kill him and had him actually become Anarky at the end. Did you watch the whole episode?

I did, and at the end of the episode the torture loving hitman became a burn-victim torture loving hitman who killed two paramedics and drew the anarchy sign in their blood. Still nothing like Anarky from the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

I did, and at the end of the episode the torture loving hitman became a burn-victim torture loving hitman who killed two paramedics and drew the anarchy sign in their blood. Still nothing like Anarky from the books.

Well he's not from the books. He's from the TV show. Remind me how many other characters in the show are like their book counterparts again? Maybe half if we're being generous? The show is its own thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Well he's not from the books. He's from the TV show. Remind me how many other characters in the show are like their book counterparts again? Maybe half if we're being generous? The show is its own thing.

True, but it just feels like a shame that they didn't keep him close to the source material like they did with a character like Ras, especially with the direction the season is going. Something closer resembling the ideals of the original character would have made a great antagonist to Oliver's latest decision, but instead they took a complex character and reduced him to a one note forgettable villain.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

True, but it just feels like a shame that they didn't keep him close to the source material like they did with a character like Ras, especially with the direction the season is going. Something closer resembling the ideals of the original character would have made a great antagonist to Oliver's latest decision, but instead they took a complex character and reduced him to a one note forgettable villain.

Unless of course he comes back with a new found philosophical perspective since he got burned by all the existing power structures.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Powers Boothe is joining Agents of SHIELD as Gideon Mailick. Are they going to start revealing the shadow people from Avengers?

That's neat, mostly because Powers Boothe is gnarly as gently caress

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

X-O posted:

I think the point is that this is a pretty specifically defined character who they simply took the name of to use as some place holder serial killer, which is disappointing to anyone who even remotely thinks the original character is decent. It is about being disappointed in a massive loss of potential story telling, as opposed to some nerdy railing against a lack of comic book accuracy, imo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the point is that this is a pretty specifically defined character who they simply took the name of to use as some place holder serial killer, which is disappointing to anyone who even remotely thinks the original character is decent. It is about being disappointed in a massive loss of potential story telling, as opposed to some nerdy railing against a lack of comic book accuracy, imo.

I mean obviously. Anyone who's trying to act like it's anything else is being willfully obtuse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I mean obviously. Anyone who's trying to act like it's anything else is being willfully obtuse.

Didn't the producers say they had plans for him to come back?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Didn't the producers say they had plans for him to come back?

Is he going to come back with amnesia and a completely different personality?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Is he going to come back with amnesia and a completely different personality?

After being burned alive and still ticking he absolutely could change his perspective on life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MacheteZombie posted:

After being burned alive and still ticking he absolutely could change his perspective on life.

Killing paramedics is a bad way to start a new life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

This guy seems to be doing okay

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I mean he doesn't have be a murder loving torture hitman anymore. He could completely hate what the power structures around represent now that he's been spurned by the Villain Club.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Powers Boothe is joining Agents of SHIELD as Gideon Mailick. Are they going to start revealing the shadow people from Avengers?

What shadow people? You mean the world council from the first Avengers movie? They were shown in Winter Soldier. I think most of them died.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I decided to give Gotham another shot, I originally made it to episode 6 before bailing. I'm not on episode 12 and jesus does this poo poo every get any better?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I decided to give Gotham another shot, I originally made it to episode 6 before bailing. I'm not on episode 12 and jesus does this poo poo every get any better?

The kid playing ProtoJoker was pretty fun to watch, and it is hilarious to call out all the inconsistencies of the show, but all this will soon lead to a depression because Gotham existing means Gotham Central never will.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The kid playing ProtoJoker was pretty fun to watch, and it is hilarious to call out all the inconsistencies of the show, but all this will soon lead to a depression because Gotham existing means Gotham Central never will.

Well the actors cast to play Allen and Montoya were dreadful so that's a bullet dodged.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Well the actors cast to play Allen and Montoya were dreadful so that's a bullet dodged.

Which is hilarious because they started introducing a task force to work under Gordon, which would have been a great time to introduce those characters if they didn't screw them up so badly in the first season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A good example of how badly the first season was mismanaged is that their actors were actually series regulars, even though they barely showed up and not at all in the second half of the season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

"Better"? No, but it does get a bit more consistent. They manage to find a balance point between grit and camp while in the early stuff it feels like two different shows going on at the same time. Aside from Fish, she always feels like she's out of step with the rest of the cast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nothing will ever change the fact that Bruce Wayne was inspired by Balloon Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's such a tragedy that they're loving around with Anarky as a character when they've been completely faithful to every other representation of every other character they've had on the show. I really thought the show was going to be close to the comics with how well they captured Diggle and Felicity's relationship with Oliver's

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm mostly surprised anybody cared Anarky never struck me as having a following.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Anarky is an example of a character that is tied to his creator so much, that anyone trying to write him while not named Alan Grant is bound to fail - simply because nobody except Alan Grant would care that much about expressing the left-libertarian worldview through the medium of a Batman rogue. The best you can expect is some lame Occupy/pop-punk cartoon like in Arkham Origins.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Anarky is an example of a character that is tied to his creator so much, that anyone trying to write him while not named Alan Grant is bound to fail - simply because nobody except Alan Grant would care that much about expressing the left-libertarian worldview through the medium of a Batman rogue. The best you can expect is some lame Occupy/pop-punk cartoon like in Arkham Origins.

Origins Anarky would be 100x more interesting than generic serial killer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know anything about Anarky but it's pretty obvious they aren't done with the character on the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And he wasn't a generic serial killer, he only killed people who were holding him or guarding the person he was hired to get.

He was a mob trained killer who the new boss in town rejected which pissed him off and got him ranting about the power structure slightly before being caught.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

And he wasn't a generic serial killer, he only killed people who were holding him or guarding the person he was hired to get.

He was a mob trained killer who the new boss in town rejected which pissed him off and got him ranting about the power structure slightly before being caught.

And he killed the paramedics who were transporting him to the hospital. I'd say he is a generic serial killer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well you'd be wrong, a serial killer is a very specific thing.

He killed with purpose. He had clear reasons for it. That explicitly makes him not a serial killer, even without the other qualifications.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 16, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm sure there are more words written on the Anarky wiki than on some major literature novels.

fatherboxx posted:

This is pretty much the truth. The character was such a Grant mouthpiece that it almost seems any other use of him is a "gently caress you" to Alan Grant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope they use Mr. A as just a regular detective who never once complains about the parasites of society.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

And he killed the paramedics who were transporting him to the hospital. I'd say he is a generic serial killer.

Uh, cause they were guarding him and probably tried to prevent him from leaving the ambulance bro.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought this week's Arrow was very good, personally.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Uh, cause they were guarding him and probably tried to prevent him from leaving the ambulance bro.

I think paramedics are trying to keep you alive and not guarding you. There would be a police officer in the ambulance if they wanted to guard the patient. Plus it was apparently very gruesome in how he killed them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

I thought this week's Arrow was very good, personally.

It was, it is just that it was a little disappointing that they decided to name their generic killer psycho torturer after a character whose whole thing is that he takes social justice to often violent extremes.

Aphrodite posted:

Well you'd be wrong, a serial killer is a very specific thing.

He killed with purpose. He had clear reasons for it. That explicitly makes him not a serial killer, even without the other qualifications.

Oh my god, fine, he is not "technically" a serial killer, he is just a crazy murderer guy who also likes torturing people he captures and also he has multiple victims. He's a crazy mass murdering torturer. I am not sure why the distinction matters for a murderous character on a comic book TV show though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He didn't kill enough people to be a mass murderer either :flashfact:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He didn't kill enough people to be a mass murderer either :flashfact:

Gonna call him a serial killing mass murderer in this thread from now on just for you. :D

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They should have just made him some kid on a computer ranting about the system.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's what Noah Hawley had to say about his Legion show.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/legion-showrunner-noah-hawley-shares-details-on-shows-future-in-x-men-universe

Seems to me he had an idea for a show, took it to Fox, and they said "Hey this sounds like an X-Men character so let's just make the show that" which is a much believable set of events than someone actually wanting to make a Legion show in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

Walking Deads numbers are down from last year, and I don't think Fear the Walking Dead has been doing too well after an impressive start.

Anyways, the Moon Knight Netflix rumor is part of a story that originally was an April Fools joke, so I'd call bullshit on it unless it comes directly from Marvel or Netflix directly.

Kinda ironic that it gets low numbers on arguably the two best episodes for ages.