Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
When do reviews usually hit for new phones? If the 5x will be shipping soon, I would think that whatever NDA Google gave these websites should be ending soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Big sites usually the day before or day of release.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Canadian Play store shows 5X shipping Monday, 6P on waitlist.

Is the $50 Play credit US only?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

spoof posted:

Canadian Play store shows 5X shipping Monday, 6P on waitlist.

Is the $50 Play credit US only?

Yup.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the return policy on the 5X/6P? Any restocking fees?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Vinlaen posted:

What's the return policy on the 5X/6P? Any restocking fees?

15 day window to start the process to return for a full refund (minus any shipping fees, which right now for the 5x and 6p is $0)
https://support.google.com/store/answer/2411741?hl=en

Edit: I've already got my 5x pre-ordered but now I'm wondering if I might as well just go ahead and pre-order a 6p as well and see if I can live with the size. Oh, I guess 'leaves warehouse in 3-4 weeks' is the problem there.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 16, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have a 16GB iPhone 5s and have rarely ran out of room, except when I have a ton of videos I've recorded on it. We're talking months. Is there any reason I wouldn't be safe and happy with a 32GB Nexus 6P? Everything these days is streaming, so I'm not going to have anything on my phone besides apps and photos. I think I may have answered my own question.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I have a 16GB iPhone 5s and have rarely ran out of room, except when I have a ton of videos I've recorded on it. We're talking months. Is there any reason I wouldn't be safe and happy with a 32GB Nexus 6P? Everything these days is streaming, so I'm not going to have anything on my phone besides apps and photos. I think I may have answered my own question.

32gb on the S6 has worked fine. I'm not going to settle for 16gb but the 32 works just fine.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I've had a 32GB Nexus 5 for two years and it's 17GB full.

I don't shoot video often and I stream everything. I shoot LOTS of pictures, but technically they will be smaller files than the newer Nexus phones.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Rusty! posted:

Is it a Nexus you've recently used a factory image on? My N6 lost roughly that amount too, TWRP has a 'resize' option that fixed it.

MXPE came like that from factory.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There's a new official video out for the Priv showing off the Blackberry Hub and physical keyboard gestures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nO8EdLtJj0

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a new official video out for the Priv showing off the Blackberry Hub and physical keyboard gestures:

Totally failed to launch the maps navigation automatically from the address in the text message.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mr.Radar posted:

Why do I want this?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Why do I want this?

Buy it then sell it to me then I'll flip for mad profits.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

TraderStav posted:

Why do I want this?

Sales might reach the high hundreds of thousands

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Sales might reach the high hundreds or thousands

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
There's a Qualcomm certified car quick charger on Amazon for 7.99 using coupon code ZXPJ655P

http://amzn.to/1NN11Xe

$16.99 - $9 coupon = 7.99 final price

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
LG is rolling out Android 6.0 to G4s starting next week.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-announces-its-first-android-60-marshmallow-update

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I should just order the Nexus 5x and not wait for in depth reviews, right.

I feel like I always get burned with pre-orders. Then again, I'm still on a Nexus 5, which is a perfectly serviceable phone, and the site says the pre-order bonus is good until the 25th. I think I'm gonna hold out for reviews, which means it'll probably be awesome.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

dissss posted:

First of all check if its just your phone, or affects other phones on the same provider

Sorry, I'm an idiot and forgot to put the word WiFi in front of the word reception.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Sure would like to get it on my N6 someday

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't know whether to ask this here, the phone thread, or the android app thread, whatever: I'm upgrading from a Nexus 4 to Nexus 5 and obviously I want to bring across everything I can. Is this Lifehacker post still correct that it's basically a check-box on the setup screen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Lol look at how quickly you can type with that physical keyboard

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Lol look at how quickly you can type with that physical keyboard

Whats he hitting to select those suggestions. Doesn't seem to be actually hitting the screen or touch buttons.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Whats he hitting to select those suggestions. Doesn't seem to be actually hitting the screen or touch buttons.

They crammed a capacitive touch layer behind the keyboard so it can detect gestures over the surface of the keys.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Isn't this two cycles in a row that LG has been the fastest updaters? I don't remember any complaints about problems the upgrade either.

What's the world coming to?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Grumpwagon posted:

Isn't this two cycles in a row that LG has been the fastest updaters? I don't remember any complaints about problems the upgrade either.

What's the world coming to?

Google releasing preview builds is one of the best things they've done for their ecosystem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a strong suspicion that we won't be waiting long for any of this year's flagships to get marshmallow. Strong.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bull3964 posted:

I have a strong suspicion that we won't be waiting long for any of this year's flagships to get marshmallow. Strong.

Bull can't say it, so I will. Bull is in a soak test.

Fake edit: I assume. I don't know him or anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, marshmallow isn't shaping up to be the disaster that lollipop was and the dev previews were stable for a good long time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Marshmallow is basically Lollipop 2.0 anyways.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 17, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Swappa. Get something for cheap.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I'm looking to finally upgrade my ancient, pre-phablet era device. Is the xperia Z5 compact the only smallish phone that isn't a budget turd? My tiny hands and pockets are intimidated by giant screens.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nill posted:

I'm looking to finally upgrade my ancient, pre-phablet era device. Is the xperia Z5 compact the only smallish phone that isn't a budget turd? My tiny hands and pockets are intimidated by giant screens.

Yep. The Z3 Compact might have held up pretty well too, if you can't or don't want to spend enough for the Z5.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nill posted:

It might be worth trying a larger phone (there are phones between yours and phablets), and return it if you can't handle it.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody experience difficulty updating to 5.1.1 on a T-Mobile Nexus 6? Just running it via system update, plugged in over wi-fi. The phone is stock, not rooted, only running apps from the play store. Here's my log:

I wonder if I should just delete this block.map file?

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 17, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a Nexus 5 with Android Device Manager enabled but I want to remotely wipe the data since I cracked the screen last night and I have lost all touch functionality. My question is, is the wipe function on Device Manager connected with the actual device or the SIM card?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

I have a Nexus 5 with Android Device Manager enabled but I want to remotely wipe the data since I cracked the screen last night and I have lost all touch functionality. My question is, is the wipe function on Device Manager connected with the actual device or the SIM card?

99% sure it's the device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Not sure, but an alternative would be to wipe your data from recovery since that doesn't use the touchscreen.

Hold down the power button to force a reboot, then hold down both volume buttons to enter the bootloader. From there you can enter recovery and do a factory reset using the volume buttons to scroll and power button to confirm.