Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you head to Chitlom BTS and walk towards the giant Big C/McDonalds across from Central World, you should find a couple of currency exchanges in the back alleys after the Big C. There's a blue/green Super Rich and an orange Super Rich. Apparently the blue/green one gives the best rates. It's the one next to the Kasakorn Bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Does anyone know the best places to get good rates on foreign currency in Bangkok? I'm arriving next week, but I'm flying out to Tokyo and the Taipei towards the end of November and would like to arrive with cash, especially in Tokyo.

Also if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink or some food next week let me know, I'm a 31 year old dude, into music and food. I haven't been to Thailand for five years so it'll be cool to see how it's changed since I was there last. Can't wait to get out there!

Generally what you want to do is bring your ATM card and make large withdrawals at banks that let you do that. Kasikorn (it has a little plant in the logo) usually allows you to draw like 1000USD equivalent at one go, so the 5USD/transaction fee isn't such a big issue.

When you get money from the atm instead of getting 30,000B get 29900. Thai ATMs hold different denominations and this way you get a few smaller bills. The 1000B note is the largest in Thailand and most street vendors won't be able to break it (they will however take the bill and then run into a 7-11 or to another nearby vendor to work on breaking it for you, which is cute).

If you bring paper money for some reason there are exchange booths all over the place in any area tourists go to. They vary in rate a small amount, but in general so long as you're not at the airport (don't change money at the airport) they have an okay rate.

Years ago the very best rates were had from 3rd party cash to cash no-receipt exchanges in the basement of this one decrepit mall. That still might be the case, but it's probably not worth the hassle / atmosphere for you unless you're bringing like investment scale funds into Thailand.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 16, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The best place I found was in the lower level of Fashion Island but not really downtown by any stretch of the imagination.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Came back this weekend from 2 weeks in Phili. I flew to Manila, spent 2 days there, then 9 days in Cebu, then 1 night in Manila, then home. I mainly went to Manila since the plane ticket was cheap, but hey, I also like the bar nightlife, even though I was just drinking and chatting. I found out earlier this year that you can actually fly "directly" to Cebu, as in one booked trip. It usually goes via London, HK, Cebu, or even better, straight from Copenhagen to Singapore, then Cebu. It can be as little as around $100 more expensive than the Manila flight, which is still worth it, since you don't have to spend money in expensive Manila, deal with the shitshow of getting in and out of Manila, and just save yourself a lot of time.

Recently divorced, I went to Cebu again to meet with a girl I met the last time I was there, and had been staying in touch with online. We immediately clicked again, still great chemistry. Philippine girls are just super sweet, kind and comfortable company I must say; never experienced anything like them. Their looks are probably an acquired taste; but I find them really cute, simple and natural. If you see girls working in malls and supermarkets, don't judge them, because they are required by their employer to wear the "uniform" of heavy lipstick, blush, eye-shadow and their hair tied up in a bunch. They look more better au natural. A plain jane pinay is probably not your best bet if you're looking for a Mensa candidate, but hey, can't have it all.

We stayed in 3 days in Mandaue City (the area east of Cebu City) at first. When I walked around on the streets, it was like I was a celebrity or something; like 75% of people look, smile and/or stare. Pretty fun. :P It makes sense, since there's no point in going there unless you know someone living there. Mandaue is not as fancy as the area around Ayala, but it's about the same as the rest of Cebu City. More fancy for sure than Colon or Talisay and such. I found that Mandaue has a fair amount of entertainment to offer; plenty of malls, bars and restaurants, and also that newly opened LIV Superclub (at City Time Square), which I don't recommend though; it's just 95% Koreans chilling at paid VIP tables, no fun.

I also went to visit the place my girl lives. I knew it was a small room, but I thought it was in a tall building next to a street or something. We were walking down a fairly busy road in Mandaue, and she said "it's down here". We turn left and walk down an alley not 1 meter wide, poorly lit, with holes in the concrete pavement. We walk around 50 meters, turn left, turn right, and a whole little city opens up. Simple concrete buildings 1 or 2 stories high, small stores (those sari-sari stores that one person or one family owns, and typically live in the floor above), internet cafes, TV rooms, basketball court, etc. The "streets" were a mix of mud, stones and wood planks, all a big hodge-podge of buildings and paths to navigate. The whole place has no address; you can't receive a letter if you live there. Her rented room was around 8x8 feet (and shared with her brother), and lit by one single light bulb, a squeaky fan in the ceiling, and one of those "windows" with big plastic blinds. Outside was a combined toilet / bath, and a huge bucket of water to flush the toilet with and/or shower. There was also a microscopic kitchenette with a sink and a gas burner with a wok. Total rent for the room was 2000 PHP per month, and shared with her brother, so :20bux: rent per month. I wouldn't say I was shocked to see it, but I guess I was taken back a bit. I've seen worse on TV, but never in real life. You can't call it slum, since there's running water, electricity and closed sewer, but dang, it puts our Western luxury into perspective. The details we went time and money on...

Back in Cebu City at Mandarin Plaza near Ayala, pretty much the best hotel I know of, and affordable. Huge room, good aircon, TV, bathroom, free breakfast, taxi service, and amazingly friendly staff. It's always nice to walk around Ayala, hang out at IT Park, go party on Mango Avenue and Mango Square. We went to a disco on the 2nd floor (up the escalator next to Ultra / J Ave) of Mango called Club Holic, and that was probably the most fun disco I've been to. It was packed with 90% locals, friendly people, decent music, and nice layout of the disco. People giving me high fives and handing me free beers, while I danced like a champ/chump on platforms. Really fun.

We went to Bohol for one night, which was a mixed experience. There was a LOT of travel, which didn't ruin it, since even a cumbersome travel can be an experience when doing it for the first time, but we could have done it smarter. Taxi to Colon pier, boat to Tubigon, bus to Tagbilaran (with an insane bus driver), trike to Alona Beach. Like 6 hours on the road, jeez. Alona Beach is really nice; it's about a mile of nice white beach, packed with restaurants, bars and hotels. Good food, although priced for tourists (about the same as Ayala in Cebu). The next day we went for a walk up and down the sunny beach, then back to Tagbilaran in trike, catch a bus to Chocolate Hills. It rained like crazy when we got there, but oh well. Back in a bus to some city named Carmen, then in a van to Tubigon, then home. Way too much travel time. When I came back my friend told me that the proper way of doing it is to take the boat from Cebu straight to Tagbilaran. From Tagbilaran, hire a private van for around 2000-2500 PHP, and let him drive you straight to the tourist attractions you want to see, then back to the port where the boat leaves (or your hotel). More expensive, but hey, we're talking chump change in order to save hours of time and have a good vacation.

The trip home was a nightmare. Wait for the always-delayed plane from Cebu to Manila, then when I arrived in Manila I waited 2½ loving hours for a metered taxi. I was tempted to take a private car (around 1000 PHP), but I just kept thinking "ahh, the line can't take that long", mixed with sunk cost fallacy ("I've waited so long now"). Fuuuck that. In Manila I just ate dinner, had two drinks, then went back to the hotel. My plane the next day had a 9½ hour layover in Qatar (Manila -> Qatar -> Copenhagen), which I can't really recommend; quite boring, even though Qatar airport is really good, relatively speaking. Their quiet rooms are relatively quiet, but there's full power on the lights, and the reclined chairs are super uncomfortable.

Next time I'd like to visit Moalboal (on the west coast Cebu Island) which I hear is a cheap and nice beachfront area with less tourists.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 16, 2015

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anyone ever been to Phú Quốc Island? If I ever went back to SE Asia I was considering checking it out.

I'll be there for 3 days in about a month. It's a short 3 day beach break on a Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam tour. Anything in particular you want me to look for?

Aug 4, 2010

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Also if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink or some food next week let me know, I'm a 31 year old dude, into music and food. I haven't been to Thailand for five years so it'll be cool to see how it's changed since I was there last. Can't wait to get out there!

Id be up for this, this is my first time traveling to Thailand, fly out this Sunday, so super excited but totally bricking it at the same time. I think Ill only stay a couple of days in Bangkok though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Does anyone know the best places to get good rates on foreign currency in Bangkok? I'm arriving next week, but I'm flying out to Tokyo and the Taipei towards the end of November and would like to arrive with cash, especially in Tokyo.

Generally speaking, the SuperRich HQ at Narathiwat & Silom would be ideal. There are a shitload of non-brand name moneychangers in places like Yaowarat and Phradipat who have very good rates too.

I should be around early-mid next week if you guys want to grab dinner and a beer somewhere convenient to me wherever I am that day, heh. A number of other goons are also here now and could pick up the slack AHEM.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You're missing me by a day, I think, I'll be away the 19th to the 27th.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

www posted:

Id be up for this, this is my first time traveling to Thailand, fly out this Sunday, so super excited but totally bricking it at the same time. I think Ill only stay a couple of days in Bangkok though.

ReindeerF posted:

I should be around early-mid next week if you guys want to grab dinner and a beer somewhere convenient to me wherever I am that day, heh. A number of other goons are also here now and could pick up the slack AHEM.

Cool, shall we aim for some food and drinks on wednesday? My email is (removed, pm me) add me on facebook or shoot me an email, I'll edit out my email in a day or two so don't quote it please. Would be great to get a group together.

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 18, 2015

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

air- posted:

Further update on Vietnam, I'd be happy to meet up if anyone is along my route! I'm going to Sapa before heading southbound to Phong Nha, Hue, Hoi An, and Da Nang. Plan is still pretty much work in progress.

Very willing to go out of my way for good food and I've already been blown away by the pho and bun cha hanoi.

E: nearly forgot that I'm itching to do this in Hue:
http://asiainsider.asia360travel.com/2011/10/a-royal-dinner-in-imperial-hue/

Might you (or anyone) have a suggested visa on arrival letter writing agency that you'd suggest? Is that the route you took? Or does anyone have experience with it?

I'm trying to keep my plans in SEA as open and loose as possible, but Vietnam is bitchy about their visas for US citizens and requires more precise dates. So I'm trying to kinda feel out when I'd like to be there, and for how long, and once that's sorted, pick an agency to which I should submit my details so I can get my Visa on Arrival letter. Unless anyone can help sort me out for how the gently caress to figure out Vietnam's visa application process (which doesn't even include loving prices...) so that I could apply for a visa directly through the embassy.

I'd be looking at a 90 day multi entry. Yeah, huge expense by comparison to the other single entry shorter term ones, but I'm willing to pay to have the biggest possible window to visit/remain in country if I like it.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 17, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hey, I'm also carrying a US passport. I did a visa on arrival and used Vietnam-Visa.com. Super smooth process and the approval letter showed up exactly 48 hours after I sent them my info and payment.

I suppose the real question is why do you need a multi entry visa? Most people I've met doing the Hanoi/HCMC motorbike thing tend to knock that out within a month or two, but you'd know the answer as far as what kind of pace you want to have while going through Vietnam.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I'll be getting into Bangkok Monday the 26th and leaving Friday myself if anyone is around then and up for meeting also. Up in Mae Hong Son right now and going to go to Laos for 6 days here soon.

Always good to meet friendly people (maybe assuming too much) on the other side of the world.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm going back to Thailand in December and I'm 90 percent sure I'll just rent a place in Nimman for a couple of months like every other twenty-something retard with a blog. Except I dont have a blog, I have SA. Visit Chiang Mai, it's lovely

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

air- posted:

Hey, I'm also carrying a US passport. I did a visa on arrival and used Vietnam-Visa.com. Super smooth process and the approval letter showed up exactly 48 hours after I sent them my info and payment.

I suppose the real question is why do you need a multi entry visa? Most people I've met doing the Hanoi/HCMC motorbike thing tend to knock that out within a month or two, but you'd know the answer as far as what kind of pace you want to have while going through Vietnam.

My roommate has given me a ton of little tips about side trips around HCMC and Hanoi (which I'll share here) so I have no idea what kind of pace I'd be on.

I've got to be in Bali to meet a friend for several days in late February, so if I fly there out of HCMC / Hanoi, but I really enjoyed my time in either spot, I'd love to be able to just go right back, ya know?

The suggestions I've cobbled together include:

"I’ve been told to rent a motorcycle from near Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon) and bike south towards Cat Ba, and then north along the coast. I have no idea how long this could take.

Aim for a week in Saigon, have an escape plan
Bus to Da Lat?
Get weirded out in Bac Lieu
Motorcycle Vung Thau to Phan Tiet and Mui Ne, then along the coast to Phan Rang Thap Cham, then inland to Da Lat, then out to Nha Trang
Motorcycle all the way up to Hanoi?
Take a boat / overnight out to Ha Long Bay"

Boola posted:

I'll be getting into Bangkok Monday the 26th and leaving Friday myself if anyone is around then and up for meeting also. Up in Mae Hong Son right now and going to go to Laos for 6 days here soon.

Always good to meet friendly people (maybe assuming too much) on the other side of the world.

Got anything specifically good up in MHS?

Also, I've got an interview (if I want it) somewhere in Cambodia at a cocktail bar that'll be opening sometime after January... Details forthcoming but that was way outta left field.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So let's say hypothetically I wanted to fly into Hanoi and out from Bangkok, with the general idea of going south down Vietnam, over to Cambodia, then a bit of Thailand. I don't have the money for a bunch of flights so I'd be needing trains. Is this a bad idea? Where can I find good information about train routes/schedules? I'd probably have three weeks, which I don't want to spend entirely on trains but I'm not in a huge hurry either. Thailand I would probably spend the least time in since the only thing I'm interested in there is eating as much as humanly possible. I also don't care about beaches, whatever plan I made out would be centered around historical sites.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'd re evaluate your plans and if you only have three weeks, you should pick either Vietnam or Thailand. You'll feel very rushed by sticking to your original idea since you'll spend more time on travel instead of enjoying the experience.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
There's currently a 10-leg Air Asia travel ticket thing about. I don't have a link, but it's a good deal if you work it right and don't have luggage, heh.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

FaceEater posted:

Got anything specifically good up in MHS?

Sheep Goats (I believe, forgive me if wrong) had a pretty good write up on MHS awhile back in this thread. He was my inspiration for doing the MHS Loop and MHS in particular.

It's been my favorite place in Thailand so far. Great scenery, very laid back, great food and coffee, plenty to see and do if you don't need a lot of nightlife or modern amenities. Chiang Mai I actually liked quite a bit, but I also thought the 4 days I spent there was plenty.

Anyway, nothing specific here going on - just passing through and stopped for 3 days. Been doing a lot of hiking and sightseeing in the area. Staying at this place called Sang Tong Huts, which is in the top 3 places I've ever stayed at - expensive for the area but worth it (still only like $30 for their best unit). Moving on to Pai for a few days tomorrow, which I've heard mixed reviews on. It sounds like a place I'll still enjoy, though.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

FaceEater posted:

Also, I've got an interview (if I want it) somewhere in Cambodia at a cocktail bar that'll be opening sometime after January... Details forthcoming but that was way outta left field.

Is that in Phnom Penh? If you don't mind sharing, I'd be interested to hear the bar name/who the owner is, just for my own curiosity.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh BTW here are two posts I made relating to Mae Hong Son, Ringo R you add them to the OP when you getta sec ok la

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&userid=39889&perpage=40&pagenumber=44#post449848397

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&userid=39889&perpage=40&pagenumber=42#post447576712

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Boola posted:

Sheep Goats (I believe, forgive me if wrong) had a pretty good write up on MHS awhile back in this thread. He was my inspiration for doing the MHS Loop and MHS in particular.

It's been my favorite place in Thailand so far. Great scenery, very laid back, great food and coffee, plenty to see and do if you don't need a lot of nightlife or modern amenities. Chiang Mai I actually liked quite a bit, but I also thought the 4 days I spent there was plenty.

Anyway, nothing specific here going on - just passing through and stopped for 3 days. Been doing a lot of hiking and sightseeing in the area. Staying at this place called Sang Tong Huts, which is in the top 3 places I've ever stayed at - expensive for the area but worth it (still only like $30 for their best unit). Moving on to Pai for a few days tomorrow, which I've heard mixed reviews on. It sounds like a place I'll still enjoy, though.

Can't get enough of that MHS knowledge dudes. Thanks. Goats, I've got your post/map combo saved for offline reading, cuz gently caress using the internet while I'm there.

Boola, Sang Tong Huts was where I was thinking of heading for at least a couple nights. A bit of a budget buster (gonna be $38/night while I'm there), but a couple of nights there should be awesome.

I'd forgotten all about khao soi and sai oua. My God I'm gonna DESTROY some of that poo poo while I'm up there. Lotus of Siam in Vegas got me started, and Sticky Rice Chiang Mai in Chicago sustained me on it, but the genuine article awaits. Can't fuckin wait.

Tytan posted:

Is that in Phnom Penh? If you don't mind sharing, I'd be interested to hear the bar name/who the owner is, just for my own curiosity.

I'll PM ya once I hear more of a solid. I should see the guys who're putting me in touch tomorrow.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I stayed at Sang Tong Huts about five years ago, in Andy's Hut. It was excellent. The owners and staff couldn't do enough to show off the Mae Hong Son area, and the communal evening meals were a lot of fun.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
It's still the same. Stay there if you can. Although I did have to rush around in the middle of the night last night to make sure nothing important was getting wet - a big storm came through and there were a dozen leaks in my hut.

A few other little things in the area I'd recommend from my short stay: look up Su Tong Pae Bridge. It's a 1km long bamboo bridge built over rice fields that goes to a temple. Beautiful area and doesn't take long to see.

Walk up Wat Kongmu for a view over the valley and Burmese mountains. There's also a road behind the Wat you can walk up that gives you a little better view of the mountains to the west.

I liked Bai Fern, Ban Pleng, and Mae Si Bua restaurants a lot for Northern Thai and Burmese food.

Boola fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 19, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

everything about this story is just facepalm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/735124/broke-nana-tourist-busted-for-robbing-bank-for-ticket-home

:australia: :itwaspoo:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just read that Vietnam will reduce visa fees in November, though it'd be nice to just have a visa on arrival system instead, eh?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NVBNC37V90

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
50L or 70L pack for a 12 day backpacking trip to thailand? never been to thai.. never backpacked :x going to back light to begin with but im not sure if ill need much room to bring stuff back?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Migz posted:

50L or 70L pack for a 12 day backpacking trip to thailand? never been to thai.. never backpacked :x going to back light to begin with but im not sure if ill need much room to bring stuff back?

Go as light as possible. You can always buy another cheapo bag to hold whatever you buy on the way home. Anything you forget or is a 'maybe' can guaranteed be bought while you're here. You don't need many clothes, because there will be cheap laundry places everywhere you go. Underwear,a small thin towel, a few shirts, maybe one outfit that's a little nicer if you wanna go clubbing somewhere decent or just not look like every other backpacker ever, shorts, sandals. I'm struggling to think of much else that you couldn't just get here if and when you need it.

E:Also, I wouldn't really consider 12 days a backpacking trip. For that short a period, I would pick one or MAYBE two places, and actually have a good holiday instead of spending most of your time travelling around sweating with a huge fucken backpack.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 19, 2015

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I'm going with a 32L bag for a (6?) month trip. Walk 2 miles with your stuff before you go, less is more.

I just checked in and I'm starting to get nervous, I told the truth about no return ticket and they made me sign a waiver. Am I really going to be held hostage at customs until I buy a refundable ticket back?

I really hate lying but what are my options here? I'm googling hard for a fake airline pdf template or something, help

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Buy a fully refundable ticket then get it refunded once you're checked in. I'm planning to do the same using airline point redemption then canceling since I get my fees back if I cancel within 24 hours from initial booking.

I've been traveling since July with a Gregory Border 35, plus I'm carrying a travel CPAP which is a huge bummer since it takes up like 1/3 of my space :( You can easily go smaller for just 12 days. The general idea is that you want to carry as little as possible within just a backpack. Massive bonus points if you have a backpack like mine which meets carry on standards worldwide.

e: here's a list of what I packed minus tech/gadgets
5 pairs of quick dry boxer briefs
5 t shirts
a pair of jeans
light rain jacket
2 khaki shorts
a pair of light mesh basketball shorts
swimsuit
6 pairs of socks
microfiber REI travel towel
sunglasses
flip flops (easily bought here if you forget)
a broken in pair of sneakers, this is key since you'll walk a ton!!!
sunscreen

optional stuff that's nice to have:
bug spray with lots of DEET, ive just been buying it all locally and I can't tell the difference between what's sold here and the stuff with high DEET
a hat/buff something to wear on your head

air- fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 20, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If you get asked, say you're crossing the land border?

I've entered through Thai airport customs 9 times in the last two years, never been asked about a return ticket. I think that's more relaxed than Vietnam though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

air- posted:

I'd re evaluate your plans and if you only have three weeks, you should pick either Vietnam or Thailand. You'll feel very rushed by sticking to your original idea since you'll spend more time on travel instead of enjoying the experience.
To each their own... I've done 5 cities in 4 countries in SEA over two weeks, and I loved it. Just a little taste of each country.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Pilsner posted:

To each their own... I've done 5 cities in 4 countries in SEA over two weeks, and I loved it. Just a little taste of each country.

Ehhh that's fine I suppose, I've been a business traveler and have had more intense schedules than that. Like I said, you're spending more time moving around rather than enjoying the destination and to me, that's just not pleasant.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

My personal record is 5 countries in 3 days, with 3 flights and 2 international busses, all started off the back of an all-night session in a bar/club (a bar with music and dancing and people, really, not a proper nightclub) because I couldn't find a hotel near the bus station.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
One thing worth bearing in mind about only having a one way plane ticket is that it can invalidate your travel insurance, it did mine last time I was here in 2010. This time there was a clause in my insurance about it, though I can't remember exactly what it said as I've got a return ticket this time.

Agree on having as smaller pack as possible. Plus if you fly anywhere with air Asia they're gonna make you pay a lot more for your ticket if you have checked luggage full stop, worth remembering if you're going to be flying between several countries.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The ideal bag is just under carry on size and soft sided because a) it is portable b) it is adequate c) it should almost never have to be checked meaning you wait in airports less and d) it is the most widely useful in this regard.

The ideal posture towards bringing stuff back is a) pick portable souvenirs like cloth, maps, small books, etc, b) if necessary buy an okay bag to put them in to check on the return flight only, so that you never have to carry around more bag than you have to and so your are not tempted to over pack.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Have a day or two at the end, in your exit flight city, and buy any souvenirs there. Nobody back home cares whether you bought that curio halfway up a mountain on day 3 of 33, or at a busy market on the morning of your evening flight. It will always just be 'the thing that X brought me back from [country]', outside of the actual giving it to them

It'll be a memento, not an heirloom; that is, it will be valuable because it triggers feelings and memories, much as a photograph does, rather than physically embodying or being a physical representation of the event itself.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Grand Fromage posted:

So let's say hypothetically I wanted to fly into Hanoi and out from Bangkok, with the general idea of going south down Vietnam, over to Cambodia, then a bit of Thailand. I don't have the money for a bunch of flights so I'd be needing trains. Is this a bad idea? Where can I find good information about train routes/schedules? I'd probably have three weeks, which I don't want to spend entirely on trains but I'm not in a huge hurry either. Thailand I would probably spend the least time in since the only thing I'm interested in there is eating as much as humanly possible. I also don't care about beaches, whatever plan I made out would be centered around historical sites.

Migz posted:

I found that the thing with trains is that if you're looking to book the cozier 1st class or 2nd-class ones is that you really gotta book it in advance. (like a couple of weeks or months) That could really limit your flexibility in scheduling though. Also, while it is cheaper if you take into account you're saving on a night's stay at a hostel, but honestly, AirAsia flights without luggage is already cheap as hell. I'd suggest just saving a little extra and just go with the cheap flights and pack light.

If you still wanna do it, then the Man in Seat 61 is an awesome resource.
http://www.seat61.com/

As for Migz, like everyone else here, basically I'd go with the max carry-on size. So that's about 40L-ish. AirAsia and NokAir is pretty good with this, so you can always carry your carry-on sized pack, plus a daypack to hold other poo poo. The only time they actually weighed my carry-on was in Incheon Airport while flying with AirAsia. I was like 3 KG's over the supposed limit but they still let me through anyway without checking it. The various airports in Thailand didn't really care because my pack looked small enough.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

air- posted:

Just read that Vietnam will reduce visa fees in November, though it'd be nice to just have a visa on arrival system instead, eh?

Hell yes. I'll still take that, because it's a $45 savings. If I'm reading it right, it means the 3 month multi entry should be down to $50 instead of $95. I hope that's fully applicable to the VOA with a letter visas that they give at the airports...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
In terms of souvenirs, what I basically do is:
- do a pit stop in Bangkok
- buy the cheapest but sturdy checked luggage bag from MBK's basement
- use the wonderful luggage storage services in Lub D and store all my souvenir poo poo in said luggage bag
- go wherever in Thailand, Cambodia, etc. then come back and pick it up since I'm mostly flying back to Canada through Bangkok anyway
- pay for checked luggage on the return trip

It works out well since most domestic flights go through DMK anyway. You can also just pay a little extra and just get all your souvenirs in Bangkok and follow the same steps above.