Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ZigZag posted:

Do they actually play against good players or is it the usual just stomping on new players?

Well, it's random matchmaking. Which means you get a decent mix. About 10% are just terrible, 10% are great, and the vast majority are just competent but miss great options and make the odd bad decision. The quality of player on BB2 is pretty much identical to BB1, which is slightly (but certainly not massively) worse than fumbbl. If you're a good player you'll benefit from more concedes, though, on BB2.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Oh great I though bb2 was still 90% completely new players.

Which teams are in bb2 as of now?

Orv
May 4, 2011
WElf, HElf, DElf, Lizards, Humans, Orcs, Skaven, Dwarfs, Chaos and the Cyanide Bretonians.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stop doing that :argh:

^^^^

Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Dark Elves, High Elves and Skaven, with Wood Elves and Lizardmen as DLC.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!

ZigZag posted:

Do they actually play against good players or is it the usual just stomping on new players?

It's a hit and miss in the matchmaking, since I, guess cyanide is only taking TV into consideration when matchmaking, and the stupid coaches cap at lvl 20. Also the sage plays pretty good most of his opponents just concede after they haven't managed to hurt any of his players and he starts stalling in the TD zone.

Seen like one good match and I been following a few nights now. But like I said he do give out pointers to most people, who want them.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Orv posted:

Cyanide Bretonians.

When you say "Cyanide Bretonnians", what do you mean? Do they not exist outside of Cyanide's Blood Bowl, or are they different somehow? I haven't really played tabletop Blood Bowl much since uh, 1999

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They're from BB-megafan Plasmoids, not anything GW-sanctioned. I really don't know if they've been accepted by any TT tournaments, but they exist in Fumbbl's janky "secret league" along with a 50 other homebrew teams. Legitimacy is quite a difficult question since BB has been totally unsupported by GW for years.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Fanzay posted:

When you say "Cyanide Bretonnians", what do you mean? Do they not exist outside of Cyanide's Blood Bowl, or are they different somehow? I haven't really played tabletop Blood Bowl much since uh, 1999

They're not in the living rulebook, some random dude made them up and they got accepted a bit for house rule play. I have no idea why Cyanide put them in BB2.

Stats here: http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/blood-bowl-2-bretonnian-skills.5417/

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rapner posted:

I have no idea why Cyanide put them in BB2.

I'd say the idea was to present one "new" team to instantly distinguish BB2 from BB1 for added appeal. Of course, lacking a ton of other teams kind of stunts that appeal, but you know, gotta make that DLC money.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Cpt Stabbin posted:

It's a hit and miss in the matchmaking, since I, guess cyanide is only taking TV into consideration when matchmaking, and the stupid coaches cap at lvl 20. Also the sage plays pretty good most of his opponents just concede after they haven't managed to hurt any of his players and he starts stalling in the TD zone.

Seen like one good match and I been following a few nights now. But like I said he do give out pointers to most people, who want them.

But are people like 6 cheerleaders 4 rr's bad or like have absolutely no clue what they are doing?

How bad are the bugs? Last I heard It was unplayable due to extra apo's and stuff.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

ZigZag posted:

But are people like 6 cheerleaders 4 rr's bad or like have absolutely no clue what they are doing?

How bad are the bugs? Last I heard It was unplayable due to extra apo's and stuff.

I saw the extra Apo bug for the first time tonight. I'd never even heard of it before, but this Skaven coach apo's a BH and I laugh and smile and hope for some more injuries to come in. Next injury is a BH and i assume he didn't do anything because the timer went by real fast. Then I KO his rat ogre and he apo's it. I was wondering how. Maybe the game didn't display to me that he bought an Apo inducement. The guy was down enough he could have had one, but I didn't see him spend a gold of his free inducement money. So I figured that had to be the case but i look at the corner of his screen and he STILL has an apo card up there by his RR counter. There is no way he could have had three. I ask him in chat what the hell, and get no answer. I KO the rat ogre again after telling him it's now exploiting/cheating to keep rolling apo on everything, he apos the rat ogre to stunned for the second time. After the third apo use I see the counter go to zero so he is with out apo, maybe it's not a permanent thing or who knows how it works?

I surrounded his stunned rat ogre and fouled him with a peasant. Dead, no more magic apo BS, stayed dead.

Other than that, I can't really recall any bugs. Just the one time the game displayed that I had 428 rerolls. I did not actually get that many rerolls. And the feature that ought to be a bug of Juggernaut not being a choice but rather being mandatory.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ZigZag posted:

No. I haven't played a single person like that since release. I would go so far as to say I think I have played one player who it was apparent it was their first ever game of Blood Bowl. Everyone else is fairly competent, while most are certainly not masters.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ZigZag posted:

I'm not a good player, so take this with a grain of salt, but in around 20 matches or so I've only seen 1 "what the gently caress do you think you're doing" players.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm not a good player, so take this with a grain of salt, but in around 20 matches or so I've only seen 1 "what the gently caress do you think you're doing" players.

I am really awful, and I have only met Tv 2000+ murderchaos teams that at first glance are built reasonably well, until you notice the 10 rear end coaches and 10 cheerleaders. Then I stomp them with my fresh 980 humans because they don't understand how piling on works, and accuse me of cheating. 10/10 would play again

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cpt Stabbin posted:

How is he a good player when he's stalling in the End Zone in a pick up game in endless league? That sounds like the very definition of a bad player.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Speaking of new players and NAF, don't expect to play against anything but Chaos and Lizardmen in the NAF. I have a Wood Elf team that hasn't played against ANYTHING but those two teams.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

How is he a good player when he's stalling in the End Zone in a pick up game in endless league? That sounds like the very definition of a bad player.

It's a valid tactic in blood bowl especially for AG teams. Your personal opinion towards it doesn't really count.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
"wow this guy isn't going to let me score this half.. what a SCRUB!"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fat Samurai posted:

Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Chaos, Bretonnians, Dark Elves, High Elves and Skaven, with Wood Elves and Lizardmen as DLC.

Have they said if they're going to release a full version or are they going to stick with less than half the teams of BB1?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cpt Stabbin posted:

It's a valid tactic in blood bowl especially for AG teams. Your personal opinion towards it doesn't really count.

Okay, it's a stupid tactic for every team. If you're in perpetual league wins and losses don't matter unless you're aiming to be the top of the league and good luck with that given how incompetent Cyanide is about league tables.

So the only thing that matters in game is SPP unless you're super excited about the cash reroll you get from a win.

Given that, all stalling on the line does is reduce your chances to score touchdowns on future turns and generate more SPP. The only possible argument I could see is that when you score you grant 3 blocks against garbage LoS elves, but who cares? They'll be replaced with a loner next game anyway at worst.

Further, you also get to refield your team so important players are safe. If you're an elf team stalling on the line you are just begging for them to get a POW blitz on an important player and then see them get the poo poo fouled out of them.

It's not a smart idea to stall when your Win is irrelevant.

Orv
May 4, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Have they said if they're going to release a full version or are they going to stick with less than half the teams of BB1?

They're going to release teams one or two at a time for $6 a pop.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orv posted:

They're going to release teams one or two at a time for $6 a pop.

I guess I'll just wait for the chaos edition equivalent then because gently caress that. Maybe if the base game was $20 instead of $45.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If they stick to that model they won't make one. Best you'll get is 50% sales on teams or something a year and a half from now.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, it's a stupid tactic for every team. If you're in perpetual league wins and losses don't matter unless you're aiming to be the top of the league and good luck with that given how incompetent Cyanide is about league tables.

So the only thing that matters in game is SPP unless you're super excited about the cash reroll you get from a win.

Given that, all stalling on the line does is reduce your chances to score touchdowns on future turns and generate more SPP. The only possible argument I could see is that when you score you grant 3 blocks against garbage LoS elves, but who cares? They'll be replaced with a loner next game anyway at worst.

Further, you also get to refield your team so important players are safe. If you're an elf team stalling on the line you are just begging for them to get a POW blitz on an important player and then see them get the poo poo fouled out of them.

It's not a smart idea to stall when your Win is irrelevant.

Some people play to get SPP, some like their win/loss record.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

How dare you not play your satirical fantasy foosball exactly as I believe you should!

:jerkbag:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rygar201 posted:

How dare you not play your satirical fantasy foosball exactly as I believe you should!

:jerkbag:

Oh it's also boring as absolute sin. I was just also explaining why it's sub-optimal.

But y'know, feel free to do the thing that's both boring and bad, I'm not going to stop you, I just feel like games should be... fun?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh it's also boring as absolute sin. I was just also explaining why it's sub-optimal.

But y'know, feel free to do the thing that's both boring and bad, I'm not going to stop you, I just feel like games should be... fun?

Winning is fun.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

The fumbbl killed sound is my favorite sound in any game.

Winning feels better than losing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Practice how you intend to play. If you're playing an elfy team in perpetual and you ever intend to play in a non perpetual, you will want to stall at the line to see how your opponent pressures you. Stalling at the line is a difficult proposition in a lot of ways, so you can't just 'do' it when it suddenly counts.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Practice how you intend to play. If you're playing an elfy team in perpetual and you ever intend to play in a non perpetual, you will want to stall at the line to see how your opponent pressures you. Stalling at the line is a difficult proposition in a lot of ways, so you can't just 'do' it when it suddenly counts.

As an Elfy team I rarely can stall because the danger of stalling is greater than the reward. As a bash team though if I get a breakaway and there's turns to burn I ALWAYS stall. It's just foolish not to. I get more time to beat on them, they HAVE to try to come to me to prevent the score or try to run away. Like...why would you not?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Always stall with bashy teams, especially dorfs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The former is precisely why I say it is important to practice. Stalling the TD for an extra turn as an elf team makes it a lot less likely that the opposing bashy team will be able to pull off a running TD before the end of the half.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

The former is precisely why I say it is important to practice. Stalling the TD for an extra turn as an elf team makes it a lot less likely that the opposing bashy team will be able to pull off a running TD before the end of the half.

Oh I agree. I try to stall a turn or two, but it isn't like Bashy teams where I park the ball carrier in a corner and open the Thunderdome :black101:

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You should play to get spp instead of winning so that you can...?

The goal of the game is to win. The point of any competitive game is to have fun, while trying to win.
You can set other goals for yourself like leveling up your dudes, or murdering opponents, and everyone can agree as much as they want that stalling is boring,
but Im having a hard time wrapping my head around how someone can argue that playing to win is "bad".

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Stalling the ball is fantastic and lets me focus on punching more guys which will give me more xp, which means I can score next half too.

gently caress you, i'm stalling. Then i'm going to T16 foul you.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Haroshia posted:

As an Elfy team I rarely can stall because the danger of stalling is greater than the reward. As a bash team though if I get a breakaway and there's turns to burn I ALWAYS stall. It's just foolish not to. I get more time to beat on them, they HAVE to try to come to me to prevent the score or try to run away. Like...why would you not?

Agility teams are generally better at stalling because they can move around better and have less chance of loving up hand offs etc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Stalling is bad because it means I'm no longer moving fast enough horizontally to maintain flight.

On a serious note, the only time stalling in blood bowl isn't fun is when you don't have a chance at the ball because you have like, three dudes left.
It's still the same game of "One dude protects the ball, the other dude tries to take it." The literal only difference is that the defender is often playing for the tie instead of the win at that point.
Your turns don't take that long then, so it's no big loss. Also, nothing else is fun then anyways(Aside from pulling off bullshit because it was the only chance you had)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but stalling generally requires you to have players left on the pitch, which elves are bad at.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

People who like stalling are likely to like playing dwarves as well, making them subhuman at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
When I play I normally pick defense if I can, agility team or bash. This means that either my opponents score their first td in 2 turns leaving me plenty of time to score back or that I manage to stop them from scoring something much easier with 11 players to do. If I play elfs I sometimes even manage to steal the ball and score/ stall. If they take longer then that to score means I failed and have given them an opportunity to stall. When I get the ball 2 nd half my goal is to score as slow as possible - even if I am playing wooden. So stalling - hell yes it is how I play the game.

• Locked thread