Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erebus posted:

If you type cusses into Simcity 2000 the game realizes you need Jesus and decides to help

Churches tank property values, who woulda thought?

Agents are GO! posted:

If you use the voice command option in Binary Domain, and you swear into the microphone, your teammates tell you to quit whining.

Binary Domain can't process my bass 2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Rubberbanding is one of my least favourite things in video games.

Some ten years ago I played the first Need For Speed: Most Wanted and got really annoyed at how the AI in the "boss fight" races seemed pretty much free to pass me whenever they felt like it. After trying to get good for a while and finally beating a boss I had been stuck on, I felt I needed to blow off some steam. Off I went and got myself a trainer that let me unlock all the cool cars and a Ultra Nitro button that would essentially instantly propel me to somewhere in the 700 kph (435 mph) region of blinding speed.

Rolling out in my new top tier Porsche with all upgrades mounted I figured I should do one of the early races to get used to my new-found power. I get set up against a Volkswagen New Beetle in a simple race and the moment the light turns green I floor it. I shoot off like a rocket but the Beetle stays in my rearview mirror the whole time, driving a nigh-perfect line on every corner. I decide to try the Ultra Nitro. The game quickly turns into me sliding along the walls at speeds that completely divorce me from any control of the vehicle, effectively breaking the game engine's attempt at physics.

Then, on one of the few proper straights, out of nowhere comes the Beetle, leisurely overtaking me without even using nitro. I just stared as he elegantly passed and took the upcoming hairpin at 800 kph without even losing his line.

I hit Escape, quit the game, and uninstalled. Never played the game again.

Lots of racing games do this poo poo. The trick is to trail behind in 2nd or 3rd the entire time and then take 1st at the last possible second. Unless you're playing F-ZERO GX, because then if they get ahead, they loving stay ahead so you just hammer your boost button and hope for the best.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Every single NPC in that town (including the ones on the tower immediately in front of the tree) has text and can be reached without cheating or hacking. I know, because I checked.

Most are "Be careful!" Or "How did you get here?" Or "You weigh too much and are going to knock down my house."

That was one of my favorite games to test.

Fallout 3 has something similar. There's a guard in Megaton who's on a platform that's almost inaccessible without using the console. If you cheat or exploit your way up to him, he'll ask how you got there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Evfedu posted:

Level-scaling is always a bad idea, I think.

I'm not sure. If fights are going to happen, I want them to at least have a chance of being threatening. I play a lot of games because I want to hit or shoot stuff, but it's not as fun if it can't fight back.

I know two of my favorite games recently have been Dragon Age Inquisition and Dragon's Dogma. Neither have level scaling, and in both you can eventually reach a point where you are a god walking through grass and brushing it aside. Both games have a lot of stuff to do, and you can reach this point long before you've run out of things to do, so fights can become unexciting for a long time. In Inquisition in particular, it's easy to outlevel two or three zones worth of content, and then the final boss is reduced to a laugh.

However, Inquisition added "Trials" that add little modifiers to the gameplay if you toggle them on, and one of those makes enemies scale up to be close to your level, but never scale down. That means you can still go looking for or end up with stuff that you have no business dealing with, and then beat it anyway because you're clever or found good equipment before you were meant to, but it also means each fight you get in along the way at least has a chance of being exciting. It's been my favorite toggle.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

pretty soft girl posted:

Honestly, nearly the entirety of FF11 was the developers trolling the players, but that kind of goes without saying when it comes to post-EQ, pre-WoW MMOs.

Just remembered another good one. e: jesus this ended up long, sorry

Very early in the game's life cycle, Square introduced ultimate "relic" weapons that could be obtained from the most difficult end-game event of the time, Dynamis. All of them granted an exclusive weaponskill (special attacks that you could do by spending TP built from landing successful auto-attacks on the enemy), had marginally-to-much better damage than the leading non-relic weapon of its type, would occasionally do 2 to 3 times regular damage on hit, and granted some special perk, for example the Excalibur would sometimes deal additional holy damage on hit. When the game was still young these weapons were also kind of mysterious too, since lots of items had hidden effects and it wasn't beyond reason that the relic weapons would do some awesome stuff.

To put the level of effort for acquiring a relic weapon into context, you had to complete the following tasks:
- Collect an obscene amount of currency specifically dropped from the Dynamis event. It was about 20000 pieces total, and each of these specific pieces could cost anywhere from 3000 to 20000 gold in the player economy. Keep in mind that even at the height of an inflated economy in that game, 10-30 million gold was enough to have some seriously top of the line gear for near any class, and even 2-5 million would provide passable gear.
- Fight a specific enemy in one of the Dynamis zones and hope for an attestation drop for the weapon you were going for. An entire run would likely be tailored to this task, diverting your group of 36+ people away from other raid goals that would benefit the group.
- Fight another, even more specific enemy in the final Dynamis zone for another drop. The drop was 100% but the enemy itself would quickly express boredom and disappear entirely. This in itself was a riddle, as people had no idea how to consistently keep these things from getting bored for quite some time. This also was a task an entire run would be tailored towards, diverting your group of 36+ people away from other things in the raid.

Doing all of this required millions of gold and thousands of man-hours, and this was made more difficult by the fact that the event could only be done twice a week and the specific currency was constantly disappearing into weapons that people thought they could finish upgrading who gave up long before they finished, preventing prices from dropping. Because of the effort and cost involved, the relic shield and the relic harp were the only two items that most guilds would be willing to crowd source, as the shield made paladins ridiculously survivable in a way that no other item did, and the harp allowed bards to provide MP regeneration beyond any other method available at the time. Nepotism might get something like a Ranger's bow or a Samurai's katana done by a guild, but aside from shield and harp most of these things were vanity projects that individuals would fund themselves because they just didn't affect the bottom line of a guild's effectiveness all that much as opposed to putting the money and time towards something else.

With all this in mind, there was the relic staff: The Claustrum. Most of the relic weapons were at least best-in-class, even if they weren't necessarily worth the obscene money and effort. The Claustrum was hilariously bad, and because of the mystery surrounding it no one knew it until someone had spent months or years of their life getting one.

- The Claustrum was equippable by Black Mages and Summoners, two caster classes who were the only two classes that arguably never had a reason to melee, ever. Hybrids and other mages generally got access to some form of useful physical attack gear, moderate HP, strength and/or dexterity, and had a decent proficiency in a weapon that didn't suck, so you could make the circumstantial argument for them fighting up close on weaker enemies. Black Mages and Summoners had no access to melee gear, bottom of the barrel strength and dexterity, and lousy proficiency in a weapon class with low damage, high attack delay, and crappy weaponskills.
- The melee stats of the Claustrum were better than most staves but still pretty crappy compared to even player craftable weapons of other types. Its random additional effect on hit was Dispel, which was a spell that most support jobs would be likely able to cast in some form at level cap and was the sort of spell that you either needed or you didn't, so having it as something that happened occasionally on hit wasn't very useful.
- The Claustrum didn't improve the casting skills of the user in any way. Black Mages and Summoners of the time used a set of elemental staves (which were dirt cheap and extremely good) that they'd switch in for the appropriate spell- you'd switch in an ice staff for an ice spell, a thunder staff for a thunder spell, etc. A side effect of weapon switching was a loss of all your current TP, so if you were a Claustrum user your options were to either not use your elemental staves and severely handicap your casting, or switch in elemental staves for spells and handicap your melee.
- The Claustrum exclusive weaponskill granted a heavy MP regeneration buff, which would be useful for casters, but if you were meleeing enough to get access to it consistently, you probably weren't casting enough to warrant needing the regeneration. In the case of Summoners, I think having an appropriate elemental staff equipped probably would have saved just as much MP to boot.
- If you were a black mage or summoner, your party members didn't want you meleeing under any circumstances anyway. Besides being low damage and distracting you from focusing on casting, being in melee range meant you were going to take area of effect damage your caster HP couldn't handle and hitting an enemy successfully would give it TP, meaning it would use dangerous special attacks more often.
- To add insult to injury, the Claustrum was ugly as poo poo. Most of the relic weapons looked really cool and unique compared to other weapons. The Claustrum looked very similar to a staff that dropped from level 4 orcs in the starting zones with a slightly different coat of paint.

In summary, wasting all of your personal time and resources for months made you take more damage, made your party members take more damage, made you do less damage, and made you disappointingly poor and ugly to boot. If you ever checked out FF11 after its heyday and you wondered why the people still playing are the most miserable, abusive pricks imaginable, the game they've been playing for a dozen years is a good part of it, because the dev team behind the Claustrum were behind a bevy of other terrible and stupid design choices only conceivable by a rogue AI who hates humanity but only has access to PS2 game development tools instead of nuclear weapons.

The Claustrum was still really stupid, terrible, and unchanged when I stopped playing 7 years after its debut, but from what I hear the newer devs gave it some class compatible features and it's sort of useful now. That's probably not much consolation for the five or six people that got a Claustrum back in 2005 and either killed themselves or sought out a social life immediately afterwards.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ElwoodCuse posted:

A lot of people whine about how you become a walking tank in fallout as you approach the level cap but gently caress that, that's exactly what I want. I'd go even further and have pissant little Raiders and whoever simply run away from you by then.
On my most recent New Vegas playthrough, I used a mod that increased the power armor's damage resistance to what it was in the old isometric games. As in, nothing except energy weapons, hefty explosives or a hit from a large deathclaw even makes a dent and you can just stomp through almost everything while drinking whiskey and singing "Iron Man". :unsmigghh:

The power armors in vanilla New Vegas already offer a ton of protection so you don't exactly need the mod, but it was fun to run around as a walking tank. That whole playthrough was more or less my "loving around with mods" run anyway.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

On my most recent New Vegas playthrough, I used a mod that increased the power armor's damage resistance to what it was in the old isometric games. As in, nothing except energy weapons, hefty explosives or a hit from a large deathclaw even makes a dent and you can just stomp through almost everything while drinking whiskey and singing "Iron Man". :unsmigghh:

The power armors in vanilla New Vegas already offer a ton of protection so you don't exactly need the mod, but it was fun to run around as a walking tank. That whole playthrough was more or less my "loving around with mods" run anyway.

This is possible in Fallout 3's Operation: Anchorage DLC. The reward at the end is a bitchin' suit of indestructible T-51 power armor and from that point on the only enemies that pose a real threat to you are deathclaws and mutant behemoths. The DLC is extremely easy and the hardest part of doing it is worming your way through the godawful DC ruins to actually start it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

sitchelin posted:

This is possible in Fallout 3's Operation: Anchorage DLC. The reward at the end is a bitchin' suit of indestructible T-51 power armor and from that point on the only enemies that pose a real threat to you are deathclaws and mutant behemoths. The DLC is extremely easy and the hardest part of doing it is worming your way through the godawful DC ruins to actually start it.

It also gave you access to the Chinese Sneaking Suit that pretty much turned you into the Predator.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

sitchelin posted:

Lots of racing games do this poo poo. The trick is to trail behind in 2nd or 3rd the entire time and then take 1st at the last possible second. Unless you're playing F-ZERO GX, because then if they get ahead, they loving stay ahead so you just hammer your boost button and hope for the best.

See this is why I love Jak X. In the tutorial, Keira's telling you the basic controls and says something like "and when you die blah blah". I got all offended at her assumption, then I realized the point is you will explode multiple times per race in increasingly creative ways as you progress through the game. But if you get good enough at the controls and are smart at which pickups to use and when, you can leave the NPCs in the dust. I've won with more than a 30 second lead before. The best part is if you can manage to drop a slick of burning oil across the finish line and get to watch every NPC explode as they try to finish. It's just a never-ending rain of car parts. :allears:

For trolls though, Jak II does not have nearly enough ammo pickups considering how difficult that game is. There's a segment where you have to take down thirty or so Metal Heads in a forest, which doesn't sound so bad until you realize they're invisible. And all shooting at you. You have to spot the glint of their skull gems and utilize the map and shots coming at you to figure out where they are, all on limited ammo with no health pickups. If you run out during your attempts, you get to run back across the city to find other ammo crates and hope they're the kind you need.

There's also an entire mission that is borderline impossible on hero mode -- every enemy takes twice as many hits, but you can gradually unlock things like unlimited ammo, eco and invulnerability to make you feel like a drat god plowing through the game. Oh, except turrets don't get invulnerability. They still overheat if you shoot without pausing, and they still take damage at a regular pace while you try to shoot down extra strong enemies that were tough enough on normal mode. I know one single person who's ever beat it, and she said it took over a hundred attempts and she's not sure she could do it a second time.

Naughty Dog. :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sitchelin posted:

Sleeping Dogs was an rear end in a top hat with its AI races and the courses themselves. Especially motorbikes. You slightly clip something and you're dead, take a turn too sharp and you're dead. Enemy racer hits you, you're dead. Oncoming traffic? You're dead. Doing really well and winning the race? Well the AI will get a bullshit speed boost and catch up, pass you and flawlessly finish the course.

On the plus side there was one car that had built in guns. You could use this in some car races and in just by blowing up the rest of the competition.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

haveblue posted:

NBA 2K14 on Xbox One will give you a technical foul if it hears profanity through the Kinect.

I wish all sports games would do this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I think the FIFA games on Xbox One also do that and give you a yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I remember people complaining about this stuff a couple of years back. I just thought it was hilarious and the best use yet for the Kinect.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

How common are false positives? It would be a decent joke if it was perfect but if I cared about sports games I imagine I'd get pretty pissed if I failed because Microsoft's dumb camera incorrectly thought I said a word that's bad to say if you're like twelve. What good is a multilayer game without a little "healthy" banter between players? :v:

E: I mean come on this is a sport that inspires riots, it seems strangely puritanical to tell players they can't get a little salty. :shrug:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Oct 16, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fake audits in Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 arcade dip switch options have to be the biggest troll of all time, like the Kano morph for instance. Of course, there was no way to do it, but the game events audit page had a field for it that always said 0 to make people start rumors and such.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

AlphaKretin posted:

How common are false positives? It would be a decent joke if it was perfect but if I cared about sports games I imagine I'd get pretty pissed if I failed because Microsoft's dumb camera incorrectly thought I said a word that's bad to say if you're like twelve. What good is a multilayer game without a little "healthy" banter between players? :v:

E: I mean come on this is a sport that inspires riots, it seems strangely puritanical to tell players they can't get a little salty. :shrug:

It's their fault for owning a Kinect.

And a headset.

Online multiplayer is garbage, and the bigger it is the more horrible it becomes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Online multiplayer is garbage, and the bigger it is the more horrible it becomes.

But it's the future of gaming! Personally I can't wait until every game is the online equivalent of mario party.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Not too long back I went back and played Wipeout XL again. That game does not have rubber banding. What it does have however is subtly evolving ai throughout the course of the game. The later you get in the game, the less the AI cars care about getting first, as long as it's loving not YOU. They start doing all sorts of crazy poo poo. I was on one late-game track, and was coming towards the end of a lap, ahead of about 2/3rds of the pack and making good progress. There's a fork at the end, with one side taking you to the pits (which can cost you time, but recharge your energy) the other just a clean path to the lap line. Suddenly one car sideswipes me out of nowhere, which would have been bad enough slowing me down, but then a second then charges head on, t-boning me straight into the median between the two paths so hard I flip several times in the air (sideways) and pretty much hit unrecoverable last place. It was one of the most insane things I've seen in that whole franchise. And made me realize that maybe I needed to work a little more before getting to that challenge level.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

But it's the future of gaming! Personally I can't wait until every game is the online equivalent of mario party.

An online version of the classic Mario Parties with full voice communication would actually be pretty fantastic. If any game would benefit from being in voice chat with a bunch of complete assholes, it's Mario Party back when it knew how to gently caress with people.

The rest of gaming can go ahead and forget voice chat existed and be far better for it. I'd be quite happy if gaming as a whole decided online multiplayer wasn't the Thing To Do anymore, but taht's just me, I prefer single-player games and it feels like there's a lot less of them. The only game I think was better off with online elements was Dark Souls, and wouldn't you know it, that game knew voice chat was lovely.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

An online version of the classic Mario Parties with full voice communication would actually be pretty fantastic. If any game would benefit from being in voice chat with a bunch of complete assholes, it's Mario Party back when it knew how to gently caress with people.

The rest of gaming can go ahead and forget voice chat existed and be far better for it. I'd be quite happy if gaming as a whole decided online multiplayer wasn't the Thing To Do anymore, but taht's just me, I prefer single-player games and it feels like there's a lot less of them. The only game I think was better off with online elements was Dark Souls, and wouldn't you know it, that game knew voice chat was lovely.

I felt like such a tool recently when I bought cheap used versions of Battlefields 3 and 4 to play with my roommate not knowing there literally isn't a splitscreen option. It was like I was a grandma and I accidentally bought an Adventure Tume shirt at the flea market where Finn is actually David the Gnome in a suit of power armor

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But then again I don't mind games like Destiny that are essentially one player games with options to team up, but I'm sure that's 100% because I never wear a headset

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

But then again I don't mind games like Destiny that are essentially one player games with options to team up, but I'm sure that's 100% because I never wear a headset

Problem with this stuff is that you either wind up with a game where co-op makes it mind blowingly easy, because it's designed to be solo'd, or a game with arbitrary points that are stupidly hard because they're meant to be played co-op.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Problem with this stuff is that you either wind up with a game where co-op makes it mind blowingly easy, because it's designed to be solo'd, or a game with arbitrary points that are stupidly hard because they're meant to be played co-op.

as far as I can tell (I've only played through vanilla Destiny) the only really hard missions that demand Co-op are completely seperate from the standard ones and you're matched up with a few other players immediately. I think they're called strikes.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MGS2 and MGSV are the best trolls and videogames in all existence.

If you need proof of how good the MGSV troll was (inflicting a mental illness on ur diehard fans) check out r/neverbegameover

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Otana posted:

For trolls though, Jak II does not have nearly enough ammo pickups considering how difficult that game is. There's a segment where you have to take down thirty or so Metal Heads in a forest, which doesn't sound so bad until you realize they're invisible. And all shooting at you. You have to spot the glint of their skull gems and utilize the map and shots coming at you to figure out where they are, all on limited ammo with no health pickups. If you run out during your attempts, you get to run back across the city to find other ammo crates and hope they're the kind you need.
This is the best mission in the game. It's super tense and exciting. The lack of health and ammo makes it really interesting.

The big issue with Jak 2 is that the checkpointing is an inconsistent mess.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Dongicus posted:

If you need proof of how good the MGSV troll was (inflicting a mental illness on ur diehard fans) check out r/neverbegameover

My favorite r/neverbegameover post was the one about taking a bunch of numbers from Ground Zeroes and PT and trying them with various ciphers until he got something that said the last mission wasn't really the last, because it was basically that part from War and Peace where Pierre Bezhukov messes around with numerology until he can get it to say he's destined to kill Napoleon.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Otana posted:

See this is why I love Jak X. In the tutorial, Keira's telling you the basic controls and says something like "and when you die blah blah". I got all offended at her assumption, then I realized the point is you will explode multiple times per race in increasingly creative ways as you progress through the game. But if you get good enough at the controls and are smart at which pickups to use and when, you can leave the NPCs in the dust. I've won with more than a 30 second lead before. The best part is if you can manage to drop a slick of burning oil across the finish line and get to watch every NPC explode as they try to finish. It's just a never-ending rain of car parts. :allears:
The troll of Jak X was that it didn't loving work on a lot of PS2s :argh:

Also the first part of the final boss in Jak 3 where you have to shoot a bunch of glowing spots on the boss but they force you to use a lovely car with a fixed gun instead of the awesome one with the rotating turrets and also put some of the spots in positions where you have to drive head-on at the boss to shoot them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also the first part of the final boss in Jak 3 where you have to shoot a bunch of glowing spots on the boss but they force you to use a lovely car with a fixed gun instead of the awesome one with the rotating turrets and also put some of the spots in positions where you have to drive head-on at the boss to shoot them.
Every single vehicle mission in Jak 3. There are so many.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aesop Poprock posted:

as far as I can tell (I've only played through vanilla Destiny) the only really hard missions that demand Co-op are completely seperate from the standard ones and you're matched up with a few other players immediately. I think they're called strikes.

Yeah, strikes are meant for co-op, but they're also simple enough that they can be soloed if your teammates are complete idiots or AFK.

Raids are not simple and can't be soloed* and aren't matchmade either so you have to actually go out and talk to people to get one going. On the one hand this means you have some small level of surety that your teammates aren't complete idiots or AFK but on the other hand it means if you can't or won't put a group together you will never raid, which kinda sucks.

*Ridiculously good world-class players have soloed Crota's End

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Dongicus posted:

Hahaha oh wow, reading that stickied mod post about low morale etc. is amazing. Kojima broke these people.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Sleeveless posted:

One of the worst example of rubberbanding and also dev trolling was the final Canary Mary race in Banjo-Tooie. It's a race where you mash the A button to determine your speed and IIRC it is practically impossible to beat legitimately, you have to intentionally go slow for most of the race and mash like no tomorrow at the end to pull ahead.

Truth. I never beat that legitimately on an N64. I've only beat it on an emulator by slowing down the CPU speed so the game thinks I'm mashing the A button twice as fast as I actually am.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just started playing Hotel Dusk.

Early in the game a character basically goes "I know this really secret mystery, it's a real secret" and if you ask her what it is she says you're a nuisance. Then you walk downstairs and the owner of the hotel throws you out for asking too many questions and you get a game over.

Reload save. Re-do all dialogue. Don't ask about secret.

Very next NPC in the game tells you the secret without being prompted.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, I was playing around with Open Morrowind earlier, and the only crash I got was with this very helpful error message:

Helpful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's hilarious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, I was playing around with Open Morrowind earlier, and the only crash I got was with this very helpful error message:

Helpful.

Is the engine in German? Do you smell?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

It was like I was a grandma and I accidentally bought an Adventure Tume shirt at the flea market where Finn is actually David the Gnome in a suit of power armor

so a grandma that loving owns?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh my god, are people that serious about a video game? You are a sneaky man with a dog that has a knifesuit. Come on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dongicus posted:

I hate looking at Reddit, can someone with higher tolerance find some good examples?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the best mission in the game. It's super tense and exciting. The lack of health and ammo makes it really interesting.

The big issue with Jak 2 is that the checkpointing is an inconsistent mess.

Oh yeah, I love it. I do wish they'd had more reliable ammo locations though, running across the city and out to the mines just to get a couple of ammo crates only to have to go all the way back to the forest is a pain in the rear end. Jak II's one of those games I curse at constantly but pick up every couple of years to replay. I'm stuck in the war factory right now, that level's a total bitch.

And you're right about the checkpoints. I'm glad NDI paid attention and added more for Jak 3, made it way less frustrating to fail a mission when you know you hit an auto-save halfway through.

U.T. Raptor posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about that loving bug. For those who don't know, some copies of Jak X had a serious bug where it would randomly wipe your entire save file when it autosaved (which couldn't be disabled in the game settings) or if you were super unlucky, your entire PS2 memory card. The only workaround was to yank out your memory card after loading your save file, and then save manually when you were done. It was a huge pain in the rear end, there was no way to tell if you had a glitched copy until the worst happened and neither Sony or NDI did anything about it.

U.T. Raptor posted:

gently caress, I love that boss. I hated using that lovely little car, but roaring through the desert with a boss thirty times bigger than you with that awesome soundtrack was a great ending.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every single vehicle mission in Jak 3. There are so many.

What, you don't like chasing Marauders in a stupid bouncy car with lovely steering on slick sand in a timed mission?

At least they gave you missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Doc Morbid posted:

The goddamned Sword of a Thousand Truths. I know at that point of game nerfing you may as well not bother, but you repaired it with beer and I ran around the wasteland like, "Stan?! Staaaaaaaaaan."

Fallout has had pretty solid balancing even back in the PC only days. Not perfect but still doable.

I like that they make the kids in the game act like the biggest shitheads (you can't kill them...I mean, obviously, child killer is a little far for a post-apocalyptic romp through DC/the desert).

• Locked thread