Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
2017 is the year of linux on the desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

junior nerds are the dumbest

what owns about this post is i can basically guarantee i've forgotten more about unix than you'll ever learn

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You can disable/hide the win 7 tracking updates but they'll probably just push them again like they did for the one that nags you to upgrade to windows 10 :smith:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

deep impact on vhs posted:

what owns about this post is i can basically guarantee i've forgotten more about unix than you'll ever learn

ahahahaha

no.

there is absolutely no way that's true.

but if you'd like i could give you a test and embarrass you :angel:

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Computer user checking in. I have windows 10. I use the computer avidly. I enjoy win 10.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

ahahahaha

no.

there is absolutely no way that's true.

but if you'd like i could give you a test and embarrass you :angel:
i know more about eunuchs than both of you clowns put together

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

let's start easy

what are some of the major differences of BSD vs SysV?

describe the x86-64 calling convention on modern unix-derived systems, e.g. how are function parameters and return values passed between stack frames?

describe a stack frame.

describe the posix process initialization process. which system calls are made? how is memory laid out after the process starts? in which direction does the stack grow? what's the difference between stack and heap memory?

okay these are just some of the basic questions i ask during interviews to make sure applicants aren't total clowns, don't cheat and use google to answer :)

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
This thread just took a turn for the gay.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe the x86-64 calling convention on modern unix-derived systems, e.g. how are function parameters and return values passed between stack frames?

describe a stack frame.

describe the posix process initialization process. which system calls are made? how is memory laid out after the process starts? in which direction does the stack grow? what's the difference between stack and heap memory?

okay these are just some of the basic questions i ask during interviews to make sure applicants aren't total clowns, don't cheat and use google to answer :)

do I need to know this to upgrade to Win10? I'm hosed

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Oh no, not suggested apps! The horror!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
(nerd) fight fight fight! :popcorn:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ElGroucho posted:

Oh no, not suggested apps! The horror!

ikr? I mean who doesn't love seeing ads every time they launch an application. Bunch of whiny babies imo

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

Hey look, it's an autist face off like on that show mr robot.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

your office is probably a smelly, horrible place because the only people who memorize platform ABI details are turbo-sperg beardlords

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
"I know more about nerd poo poo"
"No I know more about nerd poo poo"

I hope they both have gross sex with each other and we all get to watch and laugh at how gross the sex is but secretly we all want to join in.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bamford Brownstone posted:

I hope they both have gross sex with each other and we all get to watch and laugh at how gross the sex is but secretly we all want to join in.

same

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

lessee

1) well, BSD usually confabulates the glonckers with an extra parity bit, and SysV re-dongles a DIMM/SIMM unit until chip creep is at maximum

2) the x86-64 calling convention usually calls between 3:00 and 4:00 am to beg for donations. function parameters are displayed on a teleprompter, and stacks of the donated cash are kept in frames for easy transport

3) the PPIP usually calls 911 for you incase of emergency or 411 in case of a pizza emergency. once the pizza is delivered, a game of memory is played, laid out ike normal i.e. a bunch of face down cards in a grid pattern. once the kids go to bed, my stack usually grows up, although my stack memory tells me there have been times it has actually shrunk and/or become a negative. stack emmory is also memory of all the phat stacks you've made, while heap memory only applies to times you jumped in a pile of leaves as a kid. watch out for slugs!

4) do i get thge job?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

this is really embarrassing, you should feel embarrassed

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear!

A naked man has few secrets, a keylogged man has none

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

This made me sad

You make me sad

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Claven666 posted:

lessee

1) well, BSD usually confabulates the glonckers with an extra parity bit, and SysV re-dongles a DIMM/SIMM unit until chip creep is at maximum

2) the x86-64 calling convention usually calls between 3:00 and 4:00 am to beg for donations. function parameters are displayed on a teleprompter, and stacks of the donated cash are kept in frames for easy transport

3) the PPIP usually calls 911 for you incase of emergency or 411 in case of a pizza emergency. once the pizza is delivered, a game of memory is played, laid out ike normal i.e. a bunch of face down cards in a grid pattern. once the kids go to bed, my stack usually grows up, although my stack memory tells me there have been times it has actually shrunk and/or become a negative. stack emmory is also memory of all the phat stacks you've made, while heap memory only applies to times you jumped in a pile of leaves as a kid. watch out for slugs!

4) do i get thge job?

hmmmm... hmmm.. yep it checks out. you start monday. welcome aboard!

*and thats how radium became admin, charlie brown*

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

I want to pee on them from like a balcony while they have shame sex in a back alley of SF's Tenderloin dist.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Walrus dick itt now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmbqrQbM0qk

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

the literal fact that you took the time to type this out is hilarious lmao

first off, literally none of this applies to my job as a sysadmin for a major software development company aside from sysv/bsd differences and we don't use bsd or any bsd derivatives in any of our environments

second, lmao at the fact that you would ask these questions in a technical interview- it's the year of our lord 2015, this poo poo is largely irrelevant unless you're a kernel developer or developing low-level utilities or otherwise doing something specialized

i'm honestly not sure why i'm even taking the time to reply to you considering you're an idiot but such is life i suppose

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm still on Vista because tbh I have no idea how to upgrade without losing my pics and music

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm still on Vista because tbh I have no idea how to upgrade without losing my pics and music

Makes sense

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

i love my technically illiterate goon grandma

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
goonma? grandgoon?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

she looks like a reall. nice lady and i hope i can meet a nice lady like her when i work in aged care

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

she looks like a reall. nice lady and i hope i can meet a nice lady like her when i work in aged care

one time when i was in middle school i volunteered at an old folks home and they were all really chill and cool

we played bingo and one of the ladies called me handsome and gave me chocolate :3:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

one time when i was in middle school i volunteered at an old folks home and they were all really chill and cool

we played bingo and one of the ladies called me handsome and gave me chocolate :3:

nice, all ive gotten so far is called fat and a cup of urine in the face. well i havent started yet but it will probably happen that way

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
for people that changed from 7 to 10

are you having a better time or is it just advertisements and data collecting you have to turn off

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

ashgromnies posted:

let's start easy

describe a stack frame.

It's people like you that make the world a horrible loving place and spawn the likes of ISIS.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

lonesomedwarf posted:

nice, all ive gotten so far is called fat and a cup of urine in the face. well i havent started yet but it will probably happen that way

just be nice to the old people and don't treat them like babies and you'll be fine, also make sure you communicate with the staff regularly so that you don't do anything wrong

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
we already knew this was the future of computing, we can finally say "the future is now!"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I surely wouldn't use a system with apps plastered all over the

oh.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
why do you need to buy or even search for an industrial robotic arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

CrashCat posted:

I surely wouldn't use a system with apps plastered all over the

oh.

slashdot mobile is literal hell on earth

• Locked thread