Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

edit: I never heard of American Vampire and Scalped, how is that?

They're great.

Vamp is written by the current Batman guy, if you've been reading that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're great.

Vamp is written by the current Batman guy, if you've been reading that.

That sounds very tempting.

Is there an author to avoid in the hellblazer collection, I know Ennis is great, but what about Delano and Jenkins?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Good timing with the Vertigo sale, I had to throw out a bunch of trades and was looking to replace them with digital versions.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Kurtofan posted:

Is there an author to avoid in the hellblazer collection, I know Ennis is great, but what about Delano and Jenkins?

Delano is very good, Jenkins is possibly the most underrated of the lot and builds on a lot of Ennis' work with Ellie and the First of the Fallen.

As for who to avoid, Mina for certain, Azzarello arguably.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also an Uber sale: $20 for everything that's been published to date. I really like the book, though the art is uneven, though the original "regular" artist has less than half of the issues currently out and won't be back.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

So, how is Hinterkind? It seems interesting enough and the art looks pretty lovely but I haven't heard much of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

all the Hellblazer collections on sale are great

this sale couldn't come at a worse time for my wallet. pumped to reread The Losers, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

all the Hellblazer collections on sale are great

this sale couldn't come at a worse time for my wallet. pumped to reread The Losers, though.

No poo poo, I just spent a ton of money on that Image sale. I'm going to limit myself to just Ex Machina and American Vampire and hope theres another sale one day.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Ah holy poo poo, I'd really like to get Preacher, Y, Hellblazer (I guess? Not a huge Constantine fan but I understand these are meant to be awesome), 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, and Ex Machina.

I've already read Y, Preacher and 100 Bullets, so of Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan and American Vampire, are any of those considered must-read or highly recommended over the others?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I could easily spend $200 on this sale, and I already spent way too much last week on image stuff.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, for budgeting reasons, if I'm only getting one or two Hellblazers, which volumes should I pick?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Dunbar posted:

Ah holy poo poo, I'd really like to get Preacher, Y, Hellblazer (I guess? Not a huge Constantine fan but I understand these are meant to be awesome), 100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, and Ex Machina.

I've already read Y, Preacher and 100 Bullets, so of Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan and American Vampire, are any of those considered must-read or highly recommended over the others?

I don't get the question, it seems like you've read most of what you're interested in? I thought ex machina was so so.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

hup posted:

Yeah, for budgeting reasons, if I'm only getting one or two Hellblazers, which volumes should I pick?

Ennis in order of release.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm actually gonna say volumes 1 and 5 are the truly essential ones (Original Sins and Dangerous Habits) although really 1-8 are all great. i don't like Jenkins' stuff quite as mich as Delano or Ennis, but it's still good.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Of the major series, I bought the ones I didn't own/haven't read--100 Bullets, Ex Machina, and DMZ. Figure I eventually want to read all of those, and they're all at less than $1/issue. I'll have to get more picky about other Comixology sales for the next little while, but I don't expect there will be a lot of stuff I'll wish I'd gotten instead of full classic Vertigo runs.

edit: And yeah, I knew these were the least-recommended of the long Vertigo runs (which is why I'd already read the rest of them and not these), but I've heard enough good stuff and liked the first few issues of each enough that I think I won't regret the buy. ( ::fingers crossed:: )

Dunbar posted:

Hellblazer, Transmet, and American Vampire are all highly acclaimed, all different. Hellblazer is foundational pre-Vertigo "weird DC," Transmet is classic Vertigo near-future sci-fi, American Vampire is modern-Vertigo historical/contemporary horror. (Transmet's from the "Preacher" era, AV is closer to the "Y" era.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Instead of spending $200, which of the series on sale are the best or most critically acclaimed? Aka, if you could binge just one of the series, which one would it be?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Instead of spending $200, which of the series on sale are the best or most critically acclaimed? Aka, if you could binge just one of the series, which one would it be?

Having not read Hellblazer, I'd say Preacher or Y the Last Man, though I like Transmet better than those. If you only want to spend $5, Daytripper.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rusty Kettle posted:

Honestly, for me, it'd be a toss up between Transmet and Preacher. I love Y-TLM, but I personally feel Transmet and Preacher are better. Asking me to choose between either of those would be impossible.

Having said that, I never cared for Hellblazer at all. I recognize that it deserves all the acclaim it gets, but it's just not my cup of tea.

EDIT:

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're all gonna be someone's favourite book, so pick what premise sounds the most interesting. You probably wont lose.

This is the correct answer.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 13, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're all gonna be someone's favourite book, so pick what premise sounds the most interesting. You probably wont lose.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I think Scalped and Sweet Tooth hold up the best throughout their runs. Hellblazer through at least issue 100 is very solid.

If anything I think it's easier to unrecommend in this case, to which I would say 100 bullets and Ex machina, with a caution on DMZ (never read, heard iffy things).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The main complaints I hear about DMZ are "UGH this isn't what MY New York is like!!" and "Brian Wood is an rear end in a top hat!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

The main complaints I hear about DMZ are "UGH this isn't what MY New York is like!!" and "Brian Wood is an rear end in a top hat!"

I would say it loses steam at a certain point and then sort of flounders for the rest of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
[quote="Endless Mike" post="451393651".
[/quote]

I have never heard either of these, I have heard that it sort of peters out,

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

My complaint about it is that the main character's personality (what little of it there is) is really wishy-washy, changing from arc to arc to serve the plot (instead of the plot being informed by his personality).

And, "ugh, Brian Wood".

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The only way this sale could have been more aggressive would have been to add trades for Sandman, Lucifer and The Invisibles. I'm trying hard to not check how much I've blown last week and today.

Scalped was on my short list of things I really wanted to get digitally. I remember regretting passing on a sale a couple of years ago.

With this and Astro City down, all that is left on that list is Planetary and Moore's Swamp Thing run.

Zachack posted:

I think Scalped and Sweet Tooth hold up the best throughout their runs. Hellblazer through at least issue 100 is very solid.

If anything I think it's easier to unrecommend in this case, to which I would say 100 bullets and Ex machina, with a caution on DMZ (never read, heard iffy things).
I would disagree on 100 bullets, I think it's a phenomenal run, but Ex Machina was a disappointment. It starts with a great premise, has its moments but falls a bit flat IMO. It's still a very enjoyable book though.

I read the 4 or 5 first trades of DMZ and completely lost interest along the way. That was before I got the memo about Wood.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn't see it advertised but on a whim I browsed around and there's a few Viz Bundles on-sale right now including :siren: ONE PUNCH MAN :siren: Volumes 1-5 for $19.99 (42% off). That's 5 out of the 8 released volumes and a drat good price too.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Viz has stuff on sale pretty regularly, usually pretty large sales too, but it's almost never advertised for some reason.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

It's also geoblocked. I assume they have licensed the digital rights for their comics to other companies.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
In typical nonsense fashion. I can't buy the English versions in Japan online, only the Japanese ones from Amazon or wherever.

Of course I can use a VPN to purchase them.

Pretty dumb because the Japanese rights holder isn't losing sales.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm saying this before I even click on the link, but if Ex Machina is for sale get Ex Machina. It's often overlooked and it's good comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comixology really needs a option I can check that says "Don't let me buy any more books from this sale"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

gently caress, now Marvel is doing a buy one, get one free sale. I'm assuming across their entire catalog, haven't had a chance to look.

https://m.comixology.com/Marvel-BOGO/page/8510

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

gently caress, now Marvel is doing a buy one, get one free sale. I'm assuming across their entire catalog, haven't had a chance to look.

Goddamn. This is awesome because it's a great way to make buying digital trades a crap ton less annoying and to fill in gaps with secret wars and other stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Uthor posted:

Oh man I can spend so much money on this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wellll gently caress. My comic budget for the month is about to get wrecked.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man I can spend so much money on this.

Last time I priced out Hickman's Avengers books and came out with over $100. Decided I'll pay for a month of Marvel Unlimited in a year instead. That leaves me with 2-3 titles that I'm interested in at this point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What the gently caress. Image, Vertigo, and Marvel sales. My wallet is so hosed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

THANKS FOR NOT DROPPING PRICES ON OLD BOOKS, MARVEL!

Anyway, can I get a recommendation on good single issues to buy? I have an odd number of books in my cart and would like a single thing to round it out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Uthor posted:

Last time I priced out Hickman's Avengers books and came out with over $100. Decided I'll pay for a month of Marvel Unlimited in a year instead. That leaves me with 2-3 titles that I'm interested in at this point.

I'm going to buy all Hickman's Fantastic Four...

And avengers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

THANKS FOR NOT DROPPING PRICES ON OLD BOOKS, MARVEL!

Anyway, can I get a recommendation on good single issues to buy? I have an odd number of books in my cart and would like a single thing to round it out.

Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra.