Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Update on my first game, I had asked about ideas here and after a think I went for Economic first for England, as it felt historically right and had some useful benefits. Admin if I remember right had merc stuff that didn't really appeal to me at the time. I've only hit the second one since and I went for Exploration.

Economic started useful then not and now I'm back with pleased again. More tax is always good as its my main earner, but initially less inflation seemed weak, reduced interest was useless because I was so rich I didn't need loans and I don't get how the autonomy mechanic works. I built up 4k around 1495, became DotF for a laugh and attacked France having swallowed up Flanders and Brittany.

But I feel like Economy must have been useful to help boost me to that level of wealth, the inflation drop was perfect for any event or peace deal where I got inflation, and this war had France destroy my troops, so having the money to pay for mercs for once, backed by the 1000 ducat loans I can take out at reduced interest means I like how it does feel like my game had an economic spin, and this would be different in other games with different ideas. Which is cool. I think I'll pick quantity next.

Still no idea what that monthly autonomy changer thing is though. I don't pay much attention to it but feel I probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Autonomy is very important. Every province has an autonomy level, and a province with 50% autonomy gives you only 50% of it's taxes and production income. But raising autonomy gives you -10 unrest, which is damned handy. Autonomy reduction means raising autonomy is less damaging, since provinces return to full worth faster.

Distant overseas provinces always have at least 75% autonomy though, so that only applies to your European holdings really.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Another VEN -> BYZ analysis: holy poo poo.

It seems like a very tough start, and I had to restart a few times prior to 1500 due to rebel problems, but by the time you form BYZ at about 1540/1550 you should be the dominant power in the region, if not Europe.

Some tips:
  • Day 1, set Adm focus. Never touch focus again.
  • Austria, Poland, France. Pick 2, buddy up to them for the first 100/200 years, kill the third in the cradle.
  • Pick an Italian minor to feed Italy to. Mine ended up being Milan, whom I fed pretty much all Northern Italy. They had the 5th largest standing army by the end, and were rolling around with a 60 stack by the 1700s.
  • Patrician Authority is your friend. With Plutocratic, Humanist, and Statue in Restraint of Appeals, and max PA, each Orthodox province is sitting at a natural -8 unrest. With Byzantine traditions and + missionary strength decisions, you can easily get 11.5% missionary strength, which will convert most provinces in about a year. With all that -unrest, you'll have few issues with rebels.

For ideas, I started Plutocratic / Humanist / Influence, and that was enough to keep me conquering constantly. The +Republican Tradition DHEs from Venice are the most rediculous thing I've ever seen. Over the course of the game, I had 31 different rulers with an average 4.5/3/3 stats. I had one guy for 36 years. I don't think I went below 70 RT at all. I stacked Offensive and Quality, went Innovative for the policies/-War Exhaustion, took a Exploration and the first idea to finish off Africa, then dropped that for Diplomatic and Economic. Moved from mostly mercenaries to a manpower based army some time in the early 1600s. I looked for colonizers that were vulnerable to full annexation and ate them, which is how i ended up with 16 colonies in 9 colonial regions.

What I would have changed:
I would have eaten harder into Asia than I did. Most of my wealth was from Production from about 1600 on, when i started averaging 50 ducats a month. I was missing out on a ton of new world trade keeping my trading center in Venice - when i moved to Genoa around 1800 trade earnings doubled.
I would have taken Diplomatic earlier and probably not taken Innovative, especially since I could have gotten more from each war.
I would have taken Admin early for coring cost discounts.
Maybe going Expansion would give me the ability to colonize the East instead of conquering everything. Would have saved me dip/adm in the long run, maybe.

Pictures: 1700

Ottomans not yet killed, France no longer an ally but not yet an enemy, Commonwealth broken, returning Aragonese Spain to Castile, still eating into Africa.

1817 - Apathy sets in.

Wanted to finish off England, so took 200% OE's worth of provinces, which lead to a couple new client states in ugly colors.

Ugly colonial colors: North American Edition

Ugly colonial colors: South American Edition

State of the world:
Saw the formation of Hindustan (2 games in a row!) and Qing

I have a little bit of leftover money

It's easy to manage liberty desire when you're rolling in prestige

Orthodox everywhere!

Ideas and economy

I think the guy who put the original Ven->Byz walkthrough up is right. WC possible, just need to be aggressive in Asia/Europe off the bat.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

:siren: Impressive border gore incoming:

Genoese Andalucia. A Poland that is more Hungary than anything. Austrian Egypt. loving HAITIAN Valencia.

(Haiti conquered Lousiana, btw.)

I am going to do the Revolution just to fix your poo poo Europe, come the gently caress on

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Petition to rename the new expansion

quote:

"The Cossacks" sucks. It's unimaginative, diminishes the vastness of the expansion, and abruptly ends the flowing, Latin pattern of previous expansion names.

:allears:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the "respectfully disagree x 87."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

merc stuff that didn't really appeal to me at the time
The key part with mercenaries is that, basically in opposite order of reality, mercenaries start out as kind of useless (because you can't afford them in any substantial number) and then become more useful as time goes on (since they let you stretch out your manpower).

I tend to go for mercenary infantry + non-mercenary cavalry and artillery when I can afford it, since infantry soaks up most of the casualties in combat and it lets you cycle a couple of big armies to wear down superior foes without punching a hole in your manpower that will take years to recover.

Fat Turkey posted:

Still no idea what that monthly autonomy changer thing is though. I don't pay much attention to it but feel I probably should.
The short version:
- Autonomy gives a penalty to all the stuff you get from provinces
- Autonomy ticks down over time, faster if you're at peace, even faster if you have the right ideas for that
- Newly conquered provinces (usually) start with 50% autonomy, plus +15% revolt risk that ticks down over time
- You can increase autonomy to lower revolt risk, usually for long enough that you can then ignore the +15% for a newly conquered province
- Provinces that you have cores on but somebody else owns can be reconquered by you with no autonomy or revolt risk increase

Fat Turkey posted:

I went for Exploration.
A fun Exploration gimmick to look out for in the future - each colony you have with 10 provinces gives you +1 merchant. If you completely conquer or vassalize another nation with colonies, you also steal their colonies, and any of those with 10 provinces also give you +1 merchant, even if they're in the same colonial region.

PittTheElder posted:

Distant overseas provinces always have at least 75% autonomy though, so that only applies to your European holdings really.
Note though that this gets kind of weird in the details of the 'distant overseas' mechanic. If you have holdings in Greece at 0% autonomy and (unconnected) holdings in Egypt at 75% autonomy, if you conquer things in between to connect them by a land path through Constantinople, suddenly all your Asian/African provinces will drop to 0%.

I am :argh: at Mexico in my current Inca game over this, since I only need a single province from them to have a land connection from Cusco up through to my Californian holdings.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Ah yes, the latin naming tradition with such titles as "Art of War", "El Dorado", and "Wealth of Nations".

This is probably one of those guys who would translate all of his mod names into latin and jacks off to the language before going to sleep every night.

Edit: I think the Paradox Forums have improved a bit. They're still a poo poo den of nationalism, but these posts from the same thread made me actually laugh.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 16, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Trip report, African Power: BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED I CANT DO ANYTHING

Oh gently caress yes. My dreams of recreating World War 2 in EU4 are coming closer now that I can Demand Danzig :hitler:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You can tell this is an official Paradox screenshot because only Paradox devs would use terrain mapmode.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

sloshmonger posted:

Another VEN -> BYZ analysis: holy poo poo.

It seems like a very tough start, and I had to restart a few times prior to 1500 due to rebel problems, but by the time you form BYZ at about 1540/1550 you should be the dominant power in the region, if not Europe.

Some tips:
  • Day 1, set Adm focus. Never touch focus again.
  • Austria, Poland, France. Pick 2, buddy up to them for the first 100/200 years, kill the third in the cradle.
  • Pick an Italian minor to feed Italy to. Mine ended up being Milan, whom I fed pretty much all Northern Italy. They had the 5th largest standing army by the end, and were rolling around with a 60 stack by the 1700s.
  • Patrician Authority is your friend. With Plutocratic, Humanist, and Statue in Restraint of Appeals, and max PA, each Orthodox province is sitting at a natural -8 unrest. With Byzantine traditions and + missionary strength decisions, you can easily get 11.5% missionary strength, which will convert most provinces in about a year. With all that -unrest, you'll have few issues with rebels.

For ideas, I started Plutocratic / Humanist / Influence, and that was enough to keep me conquering constantly. The +Republican Tradition DHEs from Venice are the most rediculous thing I've ever seen. Over the course of the game, I had 31 different rulers with an average 4.5/3/3 stats. I had one guy for 36 years. I don't think I went below 70 RT at all. I stacked Offensive and Quality, went Innovative for the policies/-War Exhaustion, took a Exploration and the first idea to finish off Africa, then dropped that for Diplomatic and Economic. Moved from mostly mercenaries to a manpower based army some time in the early 1600s. I looked for colonizers that were vulnerable to full annexation and ate them, which is how i ended up with 16 colonies in 9 colonial regions.

What I would have changed:
I would have eaten harder into Asia than I did. Most of my wealth was from Production from about 1600 on, when i started averaging 50 ducats a month. I was missing out on a ton of new world trade keeping my trading center in Venice - when i moved to Genoa around 1800 trade earnings doubled.
I would have taken Diplomatic earlier and probably not taken Innovative, especially since I could have gotten more from each war.
I would have taken Admin early for coring cost discounts.
Maybe going Expansion would give me the ability to colonize the East instead of conquering everything. Would have saved me dip/adm in the long run, maybe.

Pictures: 1700

Ottomans not yet killed, France no longer an ally but not yet an enemy, Commonwealth broken, returning Aragonese Spain to Castile, still eating into Africa.

1817 - Apathy sets in.

Wanted to finish off England, so took 200% OE's worth of provinces, which lead to a couple new client states in ugly colors.

Ugly colonial colors: North American Edition

Ugly colonial colors: South American Edition

State of the world:
Saw the formation of Hindustan (2 games in a row!) and Qing

I have a little bit of leftover money

It's easy to manage liberty desire when you're rolling in prestige

Orthodox everywhere!

Ideas and economy

I think the guy who put the original Ven->Byz walkthrough up is right. WC possible, just need to be aggressive in Asia/Europe off the bat.

You forgot to put the .png at the end of your screenshot URLs. It should probably look something like this.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think anyone here posts much or cares much about score, honestly.

If you have an ending screenshot of your political mapmode zoomed out, and maybe ones at ~1600 and ~1700 you can probably get half a dozen opinions on how to improve your next game :)

Edit: although for one thing you seem extremely short on ideas which probably means you're wasting a lot of monarch points somewhere.

Used a lot for coring and getting buildings made. Pretty much everything west of the Urals had at least three buildings in each area with a manufactories and stuff thrown on.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

Gah... I remember doing this way back. I was building The Serbian Empire :tito:... and nearing the end of the game, I was rich and able to hire many mercenaries, along with choking off the Ottoman Empire's huge stack of ships that usually protect its trade route. I did this huge prolonged war, and saw that they were suffering much more than I was from the war going on, so I just let it go and go and go and go... while I held a large portion of their provinces... letting the rebels rise up and take over those provinces as they went bankrupt and pretty much broke. Eventually the war weariness got bad enough that I ended it, returning most of their provinces... but by that time the Ottoman Empire has split up into about 5-7 countries and soon after Russia came in and declared war, sweeping up the pieces as it was in total ruin.

This is absolutely the most satisfying way to defeat a large nation. I hope one day to maybe do this to France, perhaps by establishing The Pentarchy... but it's been a while since I've played, so perhaps that's not as easy with all the changes from Common Sense and The Art of War :).

I did this with the Commonwealth, Ming and the Ottomans as Russia. Went from three empires to a dozen little countries. :toot:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does splitting a country in half by annexing a line of provinces through the middle have any positive effect? Or does it make me just feel better?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Avocados posted:

Does splitting a country in half by annexing a line of provinces through the middle have any positive effect? Or does it make me just feel better?

If they have provinces on different continents it will bump up the autonomy for a bunch of them. Also, it means if they get into other wars, as long as you refuse them military access they'll have inevitable army problems.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BCR posted:

Used a lot for coring and getting buildings made. Pretty much everything west of the Urals had at least three buildings in each area with a manufactories and stuff thrown on.

Buildings don't cost monarch points any more, do they?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

no

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Avocados posted:

It can have a pretty serious effect if you support rebels in the half without an army and deny military access.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

I always split them into as many pieces as possible. Makes it much more difficult for them to reinforce their armies.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finished up my silly 1776-1821 USA game. You can only really win the war with a lot of mercenaries, and all the land in North America is total poo poo (3 development everywhere) but it's pretty much your continent once you win. It's easy to overrun all the natives to get the center of the continent, and then i was able to colonize all the way to Oregon pretty easily. imperialist wars versus neighbors took care of the rest, and I grabbed a bunch of African provinces (even though I'd banned slavery) and some of the Caribbean. I did manage to hit my goal of becoming an official Empire by the end, with total development over 1000. The little dots inside america are Cree, Cherokee, and Spanish Louisiana (couldn't get enough warscore vs Spain.)

Also amusing: the Thirteen Colonies formed in British Florida and got free. After I jumped them they fled to a couple random provinces in La Plata, still the Thirteen Colonies forevermore.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No, but if you want three buildings in each province, you'll have to spend quite a lot on development to get more building slots.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ugh silly DoF question, Austria is defender of the Catholic faith, I am going to war with Orthodox Lüneburg. I can make Catholic The Hansa a co-belligerent, will Austria as DoF get called in?

Kinda want to finish eating up all of the Lübeck Trade node but Austria being DoF fucks with that a lot, so far I've just been force converting every HRE minor I can to Orthodox.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a hidden option somewhere to bind the cursor to the window in windowed or windowed fullscreen mode?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a new game as muscovy and holy poo poo am I bad at the beginning of this game. My Tuscany game spoiled me way too much, what with their weak neighbours and incredible land.

I started by allying denmark to help me with novgorod but it still took me 2 wars to annex like half their land (I tried to make them release a vassal or get one of their provinces and release it as my vassal to feed it but couldn't figure out how? No option to release nations on the peace treaty) and the mission to conquer them failed, my heir died, revolts all over, manpower shot to zero since the first war, and now denmark and poland are having a succession war for my throne since my ruler died too. I don't even have my first idea yet.

It's now 1465 and I am already pretty much hosed. Any tips on how to start up as Muscovy?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TorakFade posted:

I started a new game as muscovy and holy poo poo am I bad at the beginning of this game. I started by allying denmark to help me with novgorod but it still took me 2 wars to annex like half their land and the mission to conquer them failed, my heir died, revolts all over, manpower shot to zero since the first war, and now denmark and poland are having a succession war for my throne since my ruler died too. I don't even have my first idea yet.

It's now 1465 and I am already hosed. Any tips on how to start up as muscovy?

You're taking too long in the Novgorod war. Take the mission to conquer them and attack them ASAP so they don't get allies. You should be able to grab Novgorod itself on your own in the first war, after which they'll be so weak that no one will want to ally them when you go for them a second time. I wouldn't ally Denmark since they're going to be dealing with a Swedish independence war. As for your rulers dying, you're either making them generals or just getting very unlucky. If you're having a succession war that early into the game, just restart.

I believe you start with a decent general as Muscovy, so make sure he is present at all the battles with Novgorod troops, don't let your manpower bleed by overcrowding provinces, and you should be fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

First off, failing a mission isn't a bad thing. There are no penalties for it, you just lose any temporary claims the mission gives you. As long as you're still eligible for it, you can just take it again, although you can't take the same mission twice in a row so you'd have to take some other mission and immediately cancel it (again, no penalties for this). Because of the long truce times, what you should be doing is taking the mission, taking some land, start coring it and then cancel the mission and reselect it. You can conquer Novgorod without the mission, but I think the reward boosts the development in the province of Novgorod on success.

Don't ally with Denmark at the start. They won't be able to give you any troops and they'll most likely drag you into an independence war with Sweden.

For fighting Novgorod, you want to avoid attrition at all costs, because it's a real killer in the North. Focus on sieging down the province of Novgorod and then let you vassals handle the rest. I'd also wait until you get military tech 5 to attack Novgorod for the supply limit increase.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You don't need allies, you just need to harness the vassal swarm. Novgorod is a push over and you should be able to deal with them yourself. Your job is to take your amazing 4 shock general, smash Novgorod's armies, and let your vassals siege everything down for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

When I last played Muscovy I made sure I had mercs early on because attrition kills infantry pretty badly that early in the game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

I started a new game as muscovy and holy poo poo am I bad at the beginning of this game. My Tuscany game spoiled me way too much, what with their weak neighbours and incredible land.

I started by allying denmark to help me with novgorod but it still took me 2 wars to annex like half their land (I tried to make them release a vassal or get one of their provinces and release it as my vassal to feed it but couldn't figure out how? No option to release nations on the peace treaty) and the mission to conquer them failed, my heir died, revolts all over, manpower shot to zero since the first war, and now denmark and poland are having a succession war for my throne since my ruler died too. I don't even have my first idea yet.

It's now 1465 and I am already pretty much hosed. Any tips on how to start up as Muscovy?

I probably wouldn't rely too much on Denmark as an ally, most likely Sweden will declare an independence war and they're jerks by themselves but a wild Sweden often will rival you and ally Novgorod.

If possible see if you can ally Poland or Lithuania. You'll eventually want to rival them but at the start they're very strong allies. It might be possible to bring Lithuania into a war with Novgorod and cockblock Poland from forming the union? With Poland as an ally you can also "help" them take on the Teutonic Order but occupy Danzig and get it released as an OPM you can diplo-vassal and integrate for free Westernization. This is important as Poland is unable to inherit Lithuania and form the Commonwealth without Danzig and they also won't get their free Westernization.

Manpower will be tight because you're fighting in high-attrition provinces. Novgorod is happy to spam mercs at you, you should do the same to stretch your manpower. Don't make your rulers into heirs right away you start with a really good general.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also before going after Novgorod, I'd suggest forging claims on Tver and Ryazan and attacking them both. Vassalize Ryazan and give Tver to your other vassal Yaroslavl. The former is really important because the Golden Horde to the south usually goes after them early on.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Great, thanks guys. So basically grab the mission, declare war on Novgorod within spring 1445 to avoid attrition in the first months while I chase around their armies to smash them, then carpet siege their poo poo.

But one thing - novgorod has a lot of land. It's apparently impossible to grab it all in one go, since it easily goes over 100% warscore even with claims on every single province, and then the coring costs / overextension gently caress me over. How do I deal with that?

ps: my ruler / heir were not generals, heir got the sick event twice and kicked the bucket, ruler died in his 50s of natural death ... just unlucky I guess, I'll restart and try again

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 17, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't chase their armies, that's a good way to lose manpower to attrition. Wait until they try to siege your forts, or just ignore them and let THEM lose men to the winter. Also you don't need to attack them ASAP. Wait until you get military tech 5.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm coming back to the game after a year, I have all the DLC released so far. What would be an interesting medium to major power to get reacquainted with the game again, that is not France, and will not get curbstomped (especially by France) by some neighbor from the get go? Ottoman Empire?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TorakFade posted:

Great, thanks guys. So basically grab the mission, declare within spring 1445 to avoid attrition in the first months while I chase around their armies to smash them, then carpet siege their poo poo.

But one thing - novgorod has a lot of land. It's apparently impossible to grab it all in one go, since it easily goes over 100% warscore even with claims on every single province, and then the coring costs / overextension gently caress me over. How do I deal with that?

ps: my ruler / heir were not generals, heir got the sick event twice and kicked the bucket, ruler died in his 50s of natural death ... just unlucky I guess, I'll restart and try again

Novgorod is a 2 or 3 war job. Take the important provinces in the first war, and clean them up in the second. The claims you get from the mission will last longer than the truce timer, so you can do two wars easily. Never go over 100% overextension, the resulting events will ruin your game.

Taking their forts in war deals is a very good strategy, since that is one less fort you'll have to siege in the next war.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't chase their armies, that's a good way to lose manpower to attrition. Wait until they try to siege your forts, or just ignore them and let THEM lose men to the winter. Also you don't need to attack them ASAP. Wait until you get military tech 5.
You can manhandle them perfectly well if you attack them immediately. Either way works I imagine but that seems like a long time to wait when you can easily dickpunch them right away without too much hassle.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Antti posted:

I'm coming back to the game after a year, I have all the DLC released so far. What would be an interesting medium to major power to get reacquainted with the game again, that is not France, and will not get curbstomped (especially by France) by some neighbor from the get go? Ottoman Empire?

Poland is super strong out of the gate, you get a free Westernization by holding Danzig at ADM tech 10, they have a lot of unique events and achievements. You can get in on HRE stuff, beat up Russia, so forth.

England can always just hide on their island

Ottomans are very strong as always

outside of Europe I'd suggest Ethiopia, most of the SE Asia / Indonesian nations, the big Indian nations (Vijayanagar, Bahmanis, Delhi, Jaunpur, Bengal). Those are all fun playthroughs and Paradox has vastly improved the "rest of the world" experience. None of them have a huge scary neighbor likely to strangle them in the crib.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TorakFade posted:

Great, thanks guys. So basically grab the mission, declare war on Novgorod within spring 1445 to avoid attrition in the first months while I chase around their armies to smash them, then carpet siege their poo poo.

You don't need to hunt down their army. Unless something has gone very wrong, they will never be able to take you on in a straight fight, so just keep pushing them as they come at you.

You'll be able to take all the land that actually matters (the western bits) from Novgorod in the first war. You should try to connect to Pskov and take the Novgorod province as a bare minimum. In fact, it might be a good idea to not go for 100% worth of provinces as long as you hurt them enough to make them vassalisable in the second war. But Novgorod will be pretty much finished after the first one. They can never really recover from a good smacking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I probably wouldn't rely too much on Denmark as an ally, most likely Sweden will declare an independence war and they're jerks by themselves but a wild Sweden often will rival you and ally Novgorod.

If possible see if you can ally Poland or Lithuania. You'll eventually want to rival them but at the start they're very strong allies. It might be possible to bring Lithuania into a war with Novgorod and cockblock Poland from forming the union? With Poland as an ally you can also "help" them take on the Teutonic Order but occupy Danzig and get it released as an OPM you can diplo-vassal and integrate for free Westernization. This is important as Poland is unable to inherit Lithuania and form the Commonwealth without Danzig and they also won't get their free Westernization.

Manpower will be tight because you're fighting in high-attrition provinces. Novgorod is happy to spam mercs at you, you should do the same to stretch your manpower. Don't make your rulers into heirs right away you start with a really good general.

If anything, you want to support Sweden's independence, but then do nothing. They'll either win and you have a potential rival converted into an ally, or they get crushed by Denmark and you don't have to worry about them any more.

TorakFade posted:

Take as much land as possible, and you can finish them in two wars. Be sure to separate them from Poland and Lithuania as much as possible, so they have a harder time allying them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pellisworth posted:

Poland is super strong out of the gate, you get a free Westernization by holding Danzig at ADM tech 10, they have a lot of unique events and achievements. You can get in on HRE stuff, beat up Russia, so forth.

England can always just hide on their island

Ottomans are very strong as always

outside of Europe I'd suggest Ethiopia, most of the SE Asia / Indonesian nations, the big Indian nations (Vijayanagar, Bahmanis, Delhi, Jaunpur, Bengal). Those are all fun playthroughs and Paradox has vastly improved the "rest of the world" experience. None of them have a huge scary neighbor likely to strangle them in the crib.

England is kind of run of the mill - it was my first and longest EU3 game - but Poland could be a lot of fun. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Antti posted:

England is kind of run of the mill - it was my first and longest EU3 game - but Poland could be a lot of fun. Thank you!

The unique Elective Monarchy that Poland has now works like this: other nations can send diplomats to support their candidate to the elective throne of Poland-Lithuania. Their score ticks up monthly based on dip rep and their relations with you. You can spend Legitimacy to support your own local Polish candidate who will have slightly better stats. These scores can change by event too.

Home-grown candidates will have low Legitimacy, so it's probably only worth spending Legitimacy to elect a local candidate if they are really good and young. Foreign kings will have high Legitimacy but you'll lose one diplomat (oh well). Sometimes you can luck out on PUs since you're cycling through kings of various dynasties.

When a new King comes to power you'll get an event where the Sejm decides to play nice or say gently caress YOU DAD. The main advantage to Elective monarchy is no regencies and the potential for lucky PUs. After 1600 you'll get an uprising and can choose to end the Elective monarchy and go Absolute.

• Locked thread