Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
RS1 has the best setlist you've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Kiss Song Pack II

Strutter
???
???

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

Kiss Song Pack II

Strutter
???
???

Here's hoping for Domino actually.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

All this talk about RS1 songs that no one's heard of and none of you mentioned the best one :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjMeOnqAPI

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

All this talk about RS1 songs that no one's heard of and none of you mentioned the best one :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFjMeOnqAPI

No idea if you were joking or not, but I am pretty sure that is an on the disk 2014 track.

That is a great song that I did not like to play at all when my skill was not where it needed to be, but I enjoy playing it a lot more now. I think part of my dislike was the of the large bend and how bends don't seem to do so well in rocksmith.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Bright Lights was DLC for 2012.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Te best song on RS1 was Jules, and wasn't carried over. In fact it was the only one not ported.

I did end up getting the song other ways.

It's the only one I ever did, only because I'm been trying to perfect this song to play for my daughter (shares the name) someday.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

Kiss Song Pack II

Strutter
???
???

Favorite Kiss song is Beth but I can't imagine that would be much fun to play in rocksmith.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'm gonna hold out a little bit of hope for Sure Know Something, because it's my favorite Kiss song. I have a halfway decent custom of it, but I'd like to switch it out for officially charted, if I can.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

Te best song on RS1 was Jules, and wasn't carried over. In fact it was the only one not ported.

These weren't ported as well, at least for the US version
Eric Clapton - Run Back to Your Side
Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
Seth Chapla - Star Spangled Banner
Chris Lee - Boss

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I am playing the Spinal Tap songs on bass and those things are no joke. Some parts of the song I think the joke is on me while I am fumbling around trying to keep up.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
KISS Song Pack II – $7.99

* KISS – “God of Thunder” – Eb Standard
* KISS – “Love Gun” – Eb Standard
* KISS – “Strutter” – Eb Standard

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygF29U41rhA also this

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
looks like Rock Band 4 has killed this thread but is anyone interested on playing Rocksmith 2014 on PS4? Just need your cable.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

toymach1ne posted:

looks like Rock Band 4 has killed this thread but is anyone interested on playing Rocksmith 2014 on PS4? Just need your cable.

Are you inviting us over to play some rocksmith? I'll bring over my sweet rear end Washburn t25 bass I just got.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

toymach1ne posted:

I still play rocksmith, however at this point I use it as rolling tabs and not much more.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Talking about PS4, if you're on PS4 and have been dealing with SCEE's nonsense then it looks like they've actually found out how to give people the RS1 tracks. Is that the last of their major screw ups now?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Oh there'll be plenty more, don't you worry. :negative:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

poonchasta posted:

Are you inviting us over to play some rocksmith? I'll bring over my sweet rear end Washburn t25 bass I just got.

Haha, I have a code for the PS4 game and Hendrix DLC

*taps foot*

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 15, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I kept doing goals and started wondering why I wasn't unlocking anything new. Then I went and checked and realized I had unlocked the last thing last time I played. I thought I had at least 4 or 5 left.

I guess the next thing is to try and unlock all the rest of the steam achievements.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

JHVH-1 posted:

I kept doing goals and started wondering why I wasn't unlocking anything new. Then I went and checked and realized I had unlocked the last thing last time I played. I thought I had at least 4 or 5 left.

I guess the next thing is to try and unlock all the rest of the steam achievements.

You have unlocked the best bonus song ever

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So many of the steam achievements are for doing things I just don't normally do. Getting high scores in score attack or guitarcade, or just jam session for an hour. Sounds super uninteresting but I'll probably end up doing them one day too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Score attack is really fun and challenging, when the note detection doesn't screw you over anyway. It's like normal 'play a song' mode for pros

e- I don't mean actual pros, just people who've got a song down and are ready to prove it

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

toymach1ne posted:

You have unlocked the best bonus song ever

Self-Destruct is such a great song and i'm still really mad that it's not up on iTunes or something like that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Achievements are the dumbest things ever added to a video game, especially a learning tool like this one. I'm not going to do whatever silly thing it takes for E-peen credit.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

toymach1ne posted:

Haha, I have a code for the PS4 game and Hendrix DLC

*taps foot*

If it's free I'll take it, it'll give me a chance to practice on my electric acoustic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Except concrete goals and challenges (with unlockable prizes) are a really good thing for a learning tool? I mean yeah they're stupid as hell in a lot of games, especially popping up in the corner of single-player story stuff, but this is stuff like 'master three songs' or 'experiment with session mode and see what it has to offer'

This is why score attack is the best mode, once you can ignore all the stuff flashing around - it challenges you to hold it together, and any flub can hurt your multiplier and ruin your chances of beating your score. There's nothing like chugging through a fast riff racking up the points knowing that you have to keep your speed and accuracy up just a little longer so you can nail it perfectly

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Making sure to include a piece of Orange gear in my setup taught me so much!

If the achievements were actual challenges/goals that couldn't be cheated and actually meant you did something awesome sure! But the achievements the game has are easily some of the most low effort pieces of garbage they could have made.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah there's a few obvious sponsor things (the Ernie Ball one is better though) but it's not like you have to do them all, unless you're some kind of completist. And I mean I'm not going to play all the Guitarcade stuff a million times either, mostly because I have detection issues, but if you do go for that challenge then you'll at least get some hardcore practice out of it, which is kinda the point! And eventually you win more songs to play, or neat little customisation things, so it's not just yo check out my cheevos

And if you didn't build a full Orange stack immediately I don't know what to tell you :colbert:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

There are good achievements and bad achievements, obviously

If you don't want to do them you don't ever have to look at them, what's even the problem

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I didn't realize this thread existed until just now but I wish I could send the Rocksmith devs some love because this has rekindled my interest in guitar to the point I ditched my lovely first guitar and bought a new one and actually PLAY almost every day. I've reached the point now where I can play a few songs ( easy punk ones of course ) just by memory which is honestly, loving amazing to me. Frankly I've had to intentionally NOT play every day because now the knuckles on my fretting hand are killing me even though I do all the stretches and do a 30-45 minute warm-up. Probably just pressing too hard before I adjusted the truss rod/string height but that's probably more Guitar-thread oriented. This game has me playing for hours at a time, I honestly completely lose track - I start and then get up to piss and realize it's been 4 hours kind of thing.

The only thing I'm concerned about now though is of course the limited scope of the songs available. I'm kind of reaching the point where I want to try something insanely hard ( to me ) as a kind of Everest to try and conquer one day, but I want it to be a song or band I actually regularly listen to so at least I know how it SHOULD sound, the rhythm etc ( Immortal - At the Heart of Winter is my current Everest ). Since what I'm looking for isn't ever going to be in Rocksmith I have to stick with regular tabs and gently caress, I find it so much harder than a nice video game-ified "live" tab with pretty colours on a big screen.

Has anyone else made the transition from purely Rocksmith to mostly regular tabs?

I'm sure using regular tabs is better for me and learning to play because then the sky is more or less the limit and I'm not constrained to what I can get off my PS4 but it feels like I'm playing in a vacuum instead of getting a kind of instant "you hosed up" or very clear "place your fingers HERE' sign/s.

It's sort of like being scared to take off the training wheels on my bike. :kiddo:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You'll probably be fine with tabs, they're really simple to read - just helps to have some familiarity with the song, since you have to read along with it (unless you're using something like Guitar Pro), and you have to listen and compare what you're playing to what you're hearing

But the thing about tabs is a lot of them really suck, especially on the internet where any schmuck can bang out their 'interpretation' of what they think they're hearing. There are some people who do a really good job, and you can buy professionally transcribed tab books too, so that helps. But with things like metal where there's a bunch of widdly lead, it really helps to have a grasp of theory. Memorising an arbitrary sequence of several hundred fret numbers is hard going, but being able to recognise that 'oh this bit is in Em' will make the going a lot easier, and then the tab becomes more of a helpful guide to what you're hearing

Ideally you'll be transcribing stuff yourself - sitting down and listening, rewinding and trying to work it out. Even with a simple song, it's an important skill and helps a ton. You can still refer to tabs for guidance, but listening and working stuff out yourself will teach you the song way better than having it all handed to you on a plate. (This is a problem with Rocksmith too - how many people can play songs they 'know' away from the game?)

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

Self-Destruct is such a great song and i'm still really mad that it's not up on iTunes or something like that.

There's a delay of like a quarter beat on that song from when I strum to when I hear the note play

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Freak Futanari posted:

I really love Monochrome. Also not available anywhere.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Zachack posted:

If it's free I'll take it, it'll give me a chance to practice on my electric acoustic.

Awesome, can you PM me, I've never done that on here so I have no idea how it works

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

toymach1ne posted:

Awesome, can you PM me, I've never done that on here so I have no idea how it works

You can't do PMs because you don't have plat and I'm not even sure how to get that (I was grandfathered in way back when). Are you on GAF with the same username but with a letter instead of number? I could PM you there (it'll be from of all trades).

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Zachack posted:

You can't do PMs because you don't have plat and I'm not even sure how to get that (I was grandfathered in way back when). Are you on GAF with the same username but with a letter instead of number? I could PM you there (it'll be from of all trades).

that's me, go for it

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Just picked up this game and a new-to-me guitar, and wow do my long days of trombone in high school help not at all. Played viola for a few months before losing interest, and this looks like a great way to keep practicing every day.

Holy poo poo do I suck right now, and holy poo poo do my left fingers hurt. It hurts a bit to even type!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TwoQuestions posted:

Just picked up this game and a new-to-me guitar, and wow do my long days of trombone in high school help not at all. Played viola for a few months before losing interest, and this looks like a great way to keep practicing every day.

Holy poo poo do I suck right now, and holy poo poo do my left fingers hurt. It hurts a bit to even type!

Haha yeah it's a workout alright. There've been times when I've got done with an hour of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and the like and my left forearm is on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Bought this and thought as an intermediate player I'd be rocking out asap.
Boy, was I wrong.