Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man was produced by Sony, actually. It's why it got cancelled after the Disney/Marvel deal.

It died on their watch, they green lit Ultimate in it's stead, it's on them as far as I care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

yeah hopefully Hirsch's show is like something more highbrow and progressive like the Melancholy of Haruhi.

agreed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I feel like it's simply a case of the episode would've run too long if they had Mabel sneaking into Ford's room to get the rift and bring it back, so they had to have Dipper have it in his backpack

Bill trying to break the rift should've been it's own episode, and they kind of squandered a great setup for Bill possessing the whole town with that "no escape" like they dropped a couple of times from different groups in the episode.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It seems pretty clear that the show, like the summer and the world, is coming to an end.

My kid and I would read the hell out of a Gravity Falls comix series, though. If I had a Twitter I'd lobby Hirsch for that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So we gotta wait another fortnight for a release, yeah?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WarpedNaba posted:

So we gotta wait another fortnight for a release, yeah?

October 26th, so yeah.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Whadawe do till then?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

It died on their watch, they green lit Ultimate in it's stead, it's on them as far as I care.
They would have had to pay Sony for the rights to the art assets and story, which they weren't gonna do in a million years. Sony had a choice between keeping the TV rights and the movie rights, and they obviously chose the movie rights because money. Now they've hosed that up and have come crawling to Marvel saying they'll let them make a Spider-Man movie in the loving goldmine that is the MCU as long as they get a piece of the pie.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Whadawe do till then?

Oh right, you're new here, aren't you?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

Whadawe do till then?

Post.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

don Jaime posted:

On the other hand, it wasn't particularly funny. I guess there's something wrong with me that I don't like it when comedies go into full serious mode and don't do anything funny. I'm finding Ford and the big, big showdown kind of lame. I liked this show better when it was two goofy kids trying to solve a mystery they never can solve. Now...I'm not liking it anymore.

I must be the weirdo here because I think Ford is hilarious. JK Simmons is perfect for him, he's clearly channeling a lot of Cave Johnson for the role, he's a convenient character because his knowledge allows them to condense a lot of the mystery stories in the limited time they seem to have left with the show. I find it funny how flippant he is about everything. He's the best adult role model Dipper and even he's awful. It's great.

I think the episode in general was still really funny. It had a serious tone, to be sure, but that didn't mean it was devoid of any comedy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheDon01 posted:

They are telegraphing a time travel plot so hard I'm amazed it didn't show up in the latest episode.

The perfect setup for a theatrical gravity falls movie do it hirsch

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gmqf6Jg4Fk

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The preview didn't show Pacifica at all which I'm kinda bummed about. They gave her a couple episodes focusing on her this season, I was really hoping she was gonna be more important and also be the llama symbol. Then again I guess Robbie wasn't really that important past his episodes either and he's still on the wheel
She appears in a group shot alongside her parents, Mr Corduroy and his sons, Grenda and Candy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grenda's house is kinda messed up.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
You know, this is the Stanford/Stanley = Dipper/Mabel parallel we were afraid of.
One twin wants to leave and go do 'greater things', the other is attached to them and their previous plans of "Bff 4ever", ends up breaking something in an attempt to keep the status quo intact, and generally fucks poo poo up.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In Stan's case he didn't actually intentionally do anything (other than trying to hide his fuckup), Ford and their dad just assumed he did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This really fits with the running trend of Mabel not giving a poo poo about Dipper's nerd poo poo and constantly benefiting at his expense. It wasn't happening as much this season, but this time it's one step too far.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

This really fits with the running trend of Mabel not giving a poo poo about Dipper's nerd poo poo and constantly benefiting at his expense. It wasn't happening as much this season, but this time it's one step too far.

Yeah, but it was because Bill caught her in a vulnerable moment and the main reason that she was vulnerable in that moment was because of Ford pushing Dipper to separate from her. Ford is kind of selfishly selfless. Along with viewing Dipper's relationship with Mabel through the distorted lens of his own relationship with Stan, Ford was thinking in terms of the future and protecting the town. Dipper is clearly very capable and with Ford teaching him, he'll be moreso. Saving people from the weirdness trumps the temporarily hurt feelings of Mabel in Ford's mind.

Of course, Ford doesn't factor in the idea that weird stuff has been happening in the Gravity Falls area for millions of years. It was happening long before he got there. It continued to happen between the time he was trapped in the other dimension and the arrival of Dipper and Mabel. Ford doesn't factor in the idea that while he may have been helpful to the town (when he wasn't being tricked by Bill into sowing the seeds of destroying it and the rest of the universe), he wasn't really necessary and neither is Dipper.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

johntfs posted:

Saving people from the weirdness trumps the temporarily hurt feelings of Mabel in Ford's mind.

Of course, Ford doesn't factor in the idea that weird stuff has been happening in the Gravity Falls area for millions of years. It was happening long before he got there.

Does he ever phrase it as wanting to save people? I'm pretty sure he always says "unlock the secrets of Gravity Falls" or similar -- he just wants to know for the sake of knowledge. Which, according to Neil deGrasse Waddles, is not always good.

He DOES acknowledge the timeline of weirdness, though, when talking about the aliens. The line is something like "Did the alien ship cause the weirdness, or did the weirdness draw the ship?"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

pksage posted:

Does he ever phrase it as wanting to save people? I'm pretty sure he always says "unlock the secrets of Gravity Falls" or similar -- he just wants to know for the sake of knowledge. Which, according to Neil deGrasse Waddles, is not always good.

He DOES acknowledge the timeline of weirdness, though, when talking about the aliens. The line is something like "Did the alien ship cause the weirdness, or did the weirdness draw the ship?"

He does mention that one reason he wants Dipper for his apprentice is to help protect the town.

While Ford acknowledges the timeline of weirdness, he doesn't take it to the conclusion that the town survived the weird before him and will likely survive the weirdness once he's gone.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

johntfs posted:

Yeah, but it was because Bill caught her in a vulnerable moment and the main reason that she was vulnerable in that moment was because of Ford pushing Dipper to separate from her.

Yeah, but also because her two best friends were skipping her party and she didn't want to start high school in two years. She acted really bratty. I'm curious if she will be at all contrite about it, or even challenged about it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
What are the odds that Bill possessed Grenda, Candy, Wendy and Soos during Mabel's trip through town? Who knows, maybe he made sure that everything went wrong for Mabel on that day after it started so well, thus ensuring her emotional vulnerability at the end of the day and greater chances that she would do something foolish? For all we know, she just needed to sleep it off and have another talk with Dipper and maybe Stan in the morning.

pksage posted:

He mentions wanting to protect the town, but considering how withdrawn he was from the people living there, I find that motivation dubious. Not to mention that, as already mentioned, the town predates him by at least a century. All that Ford really want is to investigate the weirdness of the town and find its source.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What if Gideon made a deal with Bill that it had to be Mabel and use Bill's magic to keep her in Gravity Falls with him forever.

It'll be summer forever, with Gideon.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

X_Toad posted:

What are the odds that Bill possessed Grenda, Candy, Wendy and Soos during Mabel's trip through town? Who knows, maybe he made sure that everything went wrong for Mabel on that day after it started so well, thus ensuring her emotional vulnerability at the end of the day and greater chances that she would do something foolish? For all we know, she just needed to sleep it off and have another talk with Dipper and maybe Stan in the morning.

He mentions wanting to protect the town, but considering how withdrawn he was from the people living there, I find that motivation dubious. Not to mention that, as already mentioned, the town predates him by at least a century. All that Ford really want is to investigate the weirdness of the town and find its source.

People possessed by Bill have those weird yellow eyes. Which is why she didn't notice it right away.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mulderman posted:

People possessed by Bill have those weird yellow eyes. Which is why she didn't notice it right away.

That said, I always assumed that was for the connivence of the viewer, as no-one ever reacts to it. But it's possible that Mabel did, and not just to the laughter.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Things would have went way more smooth in the ufo if Stan actually got to have that conversation with Dipper about his sweatiness

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

X_Toad posted:

For this reason and more, I really find Ford to be a fascinating character. Since this is ostensibly a kid's show its easy to just watch it on a surface level and take him on face value, and you know that in HIS mind he's doing the right thing, but on closer inspection there are tons and tons of clues and indications from the writers that Ford is actually kind of a huge rear end in a top hat with a cripplingly large ego and superiority/hero complex that is going to inevitably result in putting everyone around him in danger. It's really smart and subtle writing that works on a surface level while also rewarding devoted fans who are willing to look one step further.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Voxx posted:

Things would have went way more smooth in the ufo if Stan actually got to have that conversation with Dipper about his sweatiness

I still can't help but feel Stan knew exactly what had happened to Mabel and Dipper that day and did that solely to gently caress with Mabel.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
On a side-note, I really want McGucket to come back for that last stretch of episodes. At least the quick mention in the last episode gave me hope.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

X_Toad posted:

On a side-note, I really want McGucket to come back for that last stretch of episodes. At least the quick mention in the last episode gave me hope.

Speaking of McGucket, was he zapping his brains out while Ford was still around? Because that would be the mark of a pretty awful person to just let your friend do that to himself.

And if Ford wasn't aware that McGucket is a crazy old man now, you'd think he would have asked after him.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Red Oktober posted:

That said, I always assumed that was for the connivence of the viewer, as no-one ever reacts to it. But it's possible that Mabel did, and not just to the laughter.

Nope, it's in-world. Remember when Dipper thought Bill had possessed Ford? Ford told him to "look at his eyes" to verify that he wasn't.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Red Oktober posted:

In "The Last Mabelcorn" Ford explicitly tells Dipper to look at his pupils to see that he's not possessed. Mabel didn't notice Blendin's pupils because they were covered by his glasses

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Speaking of McGucket, was he zapping his brains out while Ford was still around? Because that would be the mark of a pretty awful person to just let your friend do that to himself.

Well, Ford knew what the mind-erasing gun was and how to use it, so odds are good that McGucket was abusing it in the time frame before Ford left.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Nope, it's in-world. Remember when Dipper thought Bill had possessed Ford? Ford told him to "look at his eyes" to verify that he wasn't.
Yeah, but he told him to do so by bringing him really, really close to his face. I agree with the previous poster, I thought that the yellow eyes with the vertical black line in the middle of them were for the viewer's benefit, and not something that actually happened in-universe, in which it would be much more subtle.

Although at this point I'm happy to call it "inconsistency for the plot's sake", because apparently Mabel caught on immediately upon seeing Blendin's eyes, yet didn't seem at all weirded out by those eyes back when Dipper was possessed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm surprised no one has brought up the visual similarities between the X-shaped tear in the sky and the cross-like Angel weapons from Evangelion. I wonder if there's a little homage there.

Overall, great episode, though I'm wondering why Bill didn't use Blendin's time travel powers to just go back to any point at which the rift was unguarded and smash it then, or kill the children or any number of insidious time things.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Applewhite posted:

I'm surprised no one has brought up the visual similarities between the X-shaped tear in the sky and the cross-like Angel weapons from Evangelion. I wonder if there's a little homage there.

Actually, it's a reference to Rurouni Kenshin.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Paladinus posted:

Actually, it's a reference to Rurouni Kenshin.

It's where One Piece is buried under

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

X_Toad posted:

Yeah, but he told him to do so by bringing him really, really close to his face. I agree with the previous poster, I thought that the yellow eyes with the vertical black line in the middle of them were for the viewer's benefit, and not something that actually happened in-universe, in which it would be much more subtle.

Although at this point I'm happy to call it "inconsistency for the plot's sake", because apparently Mabel caught on immediately upon seeing Blendin's eyes, yet didn't seem at all weirded out by those eyes back when Dipper was possessed.

The first time a Bill possession happened, Mabel didn't pay attention to the eyes, and the second time she did! It's definitely a plot hole and not something silly like a character acquiring experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

johntfs posted:

In "The Last Mabelcorn" Ford explicitly tells Dipper to look at his pupils to see that he's not possessed. Mabel didn't notice Blendin's pupils because they were covered by his glasses

In addition, in "A Tale of Two Stans", the very first thing Ford does after summoning Stan to Gravity Falls is examine his pupils with a light to make sure he isn't possessed.

• Locked thread