Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Astroniomix posted:

Ah there you are I have important information for you.

I've always ignored those guys; I'm assuming they just want to lure you away and kill you?
e: oh

I wonder what kind of a nightmare it's going to be to land on planets. I played some other, kind of janky space game on Steam that I forget the name of and landing was a bitch. Took FOREVER and was completely unrewarding. Only semi-cool thing was walking around inside your ship.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What happens if you stop? Do they just attack you?

This whole sothis run thing really demonstrates how terrible the procedural mission event things are.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Astroniomix posted:

This whole sothis run thing really demonstrates how terrible the procedural mission event things are.

It's fairly clever as long as you run missions between civilized systems but the Sothis run kinda pushed aside the smoke and mirrors.

Still was pretty fun having a tranquil trip to Sothis and have it feel like Wacky Races all the way back.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The biggest issue with sothis runs is just the way the following npcs act, destroying the fourth wall, which has been an issue as long as they have existed. There's no reasonable explanation for how they follow you so closely or how they even know what missions you have.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Literally Kermit posted:

It's fairly clever as long as you run missions between civilized systems but the Sothis run kinda pushed aside the smoke and mirrors.

Still was pretty fun having a tranquil trip to Sothis and have it feel like Wacky Races all the way back.

Actually having the same NPC interdict you repeatedly after you've already killed him twice is annoying, and a thing that happens even in short range missions.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Astroniomix posted:

Actually having the same NPC interdict you repeatedly after you've already killed him twice is annoying, and a thing that happens even in short range missions.

And in the Sothis run case, offered me 222 credits for my 1,200,000 biowaste caper.

"Clever" doesn't necessarily mean "good"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

AndroidHub posted:

The biggest issue with sothis runs is just the way the following npcs act, destroying the fourth wall, which has been an issue as long as they have existed. There's no reasonable explanation for how they follow you so closely or how they even know what missions you have.

NPC: Good job finding you!
*jump to next system*
NPC: Good job finding you!

Why do npcs get the faster charging FSD right

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It would make more sense if they actually calculated your route, or had someone intercept you, instead of blindly pop up every system and say hello.

Of course we're talking about a game where we cheese the bulletin board system to get enough missions to justify a 30 million credit payout, so it's not like Frontier is the only guilty party here.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I'm sure that will be addressed at some point

Before that though I am going to only equip a FSD, fuel bins, a scoop, and cargo space, sell everything else that I can, and go crazzzy

e: http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4A3D3D3D4C----00-0202032of2f2.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
All this Sothis-talk really makes me wish we could have multiple commander slots. I really do love being 10k light years from civilization, but having to travel back several weeks of gaming time if I want to try new ships is getting old.

At least CQC lets me shoot ships if I want, so I'm not totally demoralized but still. Two commanders and the ability to transfer funds between them. Do that and I'm happy, Frontier. :colbert:

On the other hand, being forced to continue exploring due to not being able to do anything else means I can drop more data on our new home, which means more influence for the Diamond Frogs.

Edit:

Oh I almost forgot, I found some kind of data recorder in a debris cloud, 9k light years from civilization. Sadly, I later jettisoned it because I thought getting 0,2 ly more range would allow me to get to the Outer Arm faster. But most of the problem stars in my way are so far apart from each other (like 40+ light years apart), having a single data cache in my cargo hold would have been completely irrelevant.

Welp, I still have a screenshot as proof. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Smuggling thread is up on the ED forums. Countdown until it turns into arguments about Sothis.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Guess I better hop on the Sothis train before it gets patched if I ever want to fly a ship bigger than a Vulture.

Out of curiosity, who has made the bulk of their funds through exploits / poor design choices? I managed to grind myself up to a few million the old fashioned way, but most of my money came from farming combat credits under the shadow of that Battleship in the old broken combat zone event, and and then another big chunk from a server update or something putting everyone into the top 1% for missions they hadn't turned in yet.

Without those I'd probably be in a D-fit Vulture at best.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

I legit got myself to an a rated viper. If it wasn't for the vulture price drop I'd still be there.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Guess I better hop on the Sothis train before it gets patched if I ever want to fly a ship bigger than a Vulture.

Out of curiosity, who has made the bulk of their funds through exploits / poor design choices? I managed to grind myself up to a few million the old fashioned way, but most of my money came from farming combat credits under the shadow of that Battleship in the old broken combat zone event, and and then another big chunk from a server update or something putting everyone into the top 1% for missions they hadn't turned in yet.

I would say about 90% of my net worth comes from cheese.

Cheese just pays so well. I ran exploration for a week and came back with a 5M pay day. I ran Sothis once over 2 hours and came back with 50M payday.

They need to find a middle ground between months of grinding and Sidewinder to Anaconda in a week.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shine posted:

Smuggling thread is up on the ED forums. Countdown until it turns into arguments about Sothis.

Literally the first reply.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Voyager I posted:

I came into the game late 1.3. I started with the standard sidewinder and 1000 credits. That was approximately 6 weeks ago. Now I'm sitting on 595,890,122 CR in total assets, 387,324,402 Cr cash money. I farted around the first 2 weeks doing basic smuggling missions until I had enough to get into an Adder, then a Cobra, and then finally a Vulture.

Then I found out about the Power Play/Undermining grind and started making a hundred million credits a week. Sadly that's not really a thing anymore, as interdicting is much harder now. I'll probably continue to make shitloads of cash doing the smuggling runs until they nerf the poo poo out of that, and hopefully by then I'll be a billionaire and just not care anymore.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FDEV are churning out videos and preview content at an alarming pace lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H-dHS-E1c

This either means they are hurting for cash, or that they are getting better at this. Probably both?

In other news..

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=4e7e00d790

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
UGH! I literally just got to Sothis. They better not patch this before the weekend is out!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dante80 posted:

FDEV are churning out videos and preview content at an alarming pace lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H-dHS-E1c

I forgot this game has music. I muted it like a year ago so I could play the FTL soundtrack. I should turn it back on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was thinking of submitting this as a news article to GalNet:

Date/Time: Current Event
Title: Pilot Advisory: Infestation Hazard at Skvortsov Orbital, 63 G. Capricorni
Description: Pilots flying in and out of Skvortsov Orbital are advised to scan their cargo holds and life support systems for an invasive species of translucent amphibian. While no planet of origin has been established, locals have begun calling the creatures “ledzhaba”. They range in length from a few millimeters as limbless larvae to several centimeters as quadrupedal adults. Ledzhaba are characterized by translucent bodies and a distinct odor produced by the thick, sticky slime covering their skin. Adults seeking a mate (they do so constantly) produce an unpleasant croaking sound capable of reverberating through deck plating. They are attracted to sewage and are most commonly found in water treatment systems. Although they pose no direct threat to humans there have been examples of colonies of ledzhaba clogging up inlet filters. Left unchecked this can lead to backflows or costly repairs. Standard sanitary backflush and decontamination procedures are recommended.
Commander Name: Beer4TheBeerGod

"Ledzhaba" is a lovely Russian translation of "ice toad". If they like it long term I was thinking of producing new articles that make the infestation worse and worse.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I came into the game late 1.3. I started with the standard sidewinder and 1000 credits. That was approximately 6 weeks ago. Now I'm sitting on 595,890,122 CR in total assets, 387,324,402 Cr cash money. I farted around the first 2 weeks doing basic smuggling missions until I had enough to get into an Adder, then a Cobra, and then finally a Vulture.
That is probably more money than I've made since they reset the game for launch, first grinding trade routes and rares, then getting sick of it and running off to explore.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Voyager I posted:

I have an Anaconda

I got this after grinding out enough money in a HRES for a Type-7, then basically trading my way up to Python/Type-9/Anaconda :suicide:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was thinking of submitting this as a news article to GalNet:

Date/Time: Current Event
Title: Pilot Advisory: Infestation Hazard at Skvortsov Orbital, 63 G. Capricorni
Description: Pilots flying in and out of Skvortsov Orbital are advised to scan their cargo holds and life support systems for an invasive species of translucent amphibian. While no planet of origin has been established, locals have begun calling the creatures “ledzhaba”. They range in length from a few millimeters as limbless larvae to several centimeters as quadrupedal adults. Ledzhaba are characterized by translucent bodies and a distinct odor produced by the thick, sticky slime covering their skin. Adults seeking a mate (they do so constantly) produce an unpleasant croaking sound capable of reverberating through deck plating. They are attracted to sewage and are most commonly found in water treatment systems. Although they pose no direct threat to humans there have been examples of colonies of ledzhaba clogging up inlet filters. Left unchecked this can lead to backflows or costly repairs. Standard sanitary backflush and decontamination procedures are recommended.
Commander Name: Beer4TheBeerGod

"Ledzhaba" is a lovely Russian translation of "ice toad". If they like it long term I was thinking of producing new articles that make the infestation worse and worse.

This is a good idea

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I mean I've done basically this path (though Eagle -> Cobra -> Vulture), but how the hell did you get that much that quickly

I've been playing since June, but I guess I only really put huge effort in recently, and even I'd like to think I've done pretty well so far.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I mean I've done basically this path (though Eagle -> Cobra -> Vulture), but how the hell did you get that much that quickly

I've been playing since June, but I guess I only really put huge effort in recently, and even I'd like to think I've done pretty well so far.

It was a couple hours a week doing the undermining of enemy factions (10k merits to start, then 5k a week after) + an hour or two in a RES a week to make 100 million. Everyone moans about the grind, but coming from old school MUDs and WoW and poo poo, the grind is effortless to me. I actually kind of enjoyed it, because the combat/flight model is so good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It was a couple hours a week doing the undermining of enemy factions (10k merits to start, then 5k a week after) + an hour or two in a RES a week to make 100 million. Everyone moans about the grind, but coming from old school MUDs and WoW and poo poo, the grind is effortless to me. I actually kind of enjoyed it, because the combat/flight model is so good.

Maybe this game just warps my sense of time but it feels like merits took for loving ever, and an hour in RES was getting me maybe half a million, even with shooting the hell out of every wanted dude

e: I say this as a dude also accustomed to many a grinds

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 16, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Ledzhaba" is a lovely Russian translation of "ice toad".

I don't see anything wrong with just calling them "ice toads" in the story. :confused:

But also, where are GalNet stories submitted nowadays? Is there still a general thread for it, or didn't we have a contact at some point for RJR stories?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alehkhs posted:

I don't see anything wrong with just calling them "ice toads" in the story. :confused:

But also, where are GalNet stories submitted nowadays? Is there still a general thread for it, or didn't we have a contact at some point for RJR stories?

There's a general thread for it in the forums.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101801

The reason I'm calling them "ledzhaba" instead of ice toads is because I figured if the infestation started on a station named "Skvortsov Orbital" then perhaps they might use a Russian reference.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah, explaining the joke is always fun let's do that

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's a general thread for it in the forums.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101801

The reason I'm calling them "ledzhaba" instead of ice toads is because I figured if the infestation started on a station named "Skvortsov Orbital" then perhaps they might use a Russian reference.

Ah. I had thought it had to do with that, but wasn't sure. Was just looking for easy familiarity among ED players should you want to run it as a series. v:shobon:v

I do like ledzhaba though!

Libluini posted:

Yeah, explaining the joke is always fun let's do that

HAHAHAHA get it?! They're toads! :geno:

Whew, glad we got that out of the way. I'm sure the suspension woulda killed someone.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Maybe this game just warps my sense of time but it feels like merits took for loving ever, and an hour in RES was getting me maybe half a million, even with shooting the hell out of every wanted dude

Are you are bounty hunting in 63 G. Cap or any other anarchy system? If so, then you are gimping your income because there are no laws to break, so you won't have local bounties to cash in (only KWS stuff, which might give you bounties for random systems that you'll never visit). Go to a RES in a lawful system and you can rack up local bounties in a quickness. A single Anaconda can be worth about 500,000, and there are usually a bunch of wanted FAS' and Clippers and such. I like HazRES for bounty hunting because there aren't any cops taking out criminals before you can get to them. Easily earns several million in an hour.

Combat zones are also decent for money as long as you don't get spammed by railguns. Even though the per-ship payouts aren't as high as RES, it's such a target-rich environment that you can blow up dozens of ships in no time. Plus, giant space battles are fun. I'm working on the PGS thread's current combat zone operation and just made about 1,000,000 in less than an hour.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

For those of you that likes the livestream this week:

Frontier posted:

We're hosting another stream on Wednesday October 21 at 7PM BST, with a live demo showcasing the handling and controls of the SRV. Tune in to our official YouTube channel at 7PM to watch Designer Mike Evans talk you through the SRV's controls in a live environment.

To add to the excitement of the night, Art Director Chris Gregory will show and tell us about the artistic decisions behind the Scarab, from concept to completion. We’re sure there will be time for questions afterwards, so don’t miss this must-see event!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shine posted:

Are you are bounty hunting in 63 G. Cap or any other anarchy system? If so, then you are gimping your income because there are no laws to break, so you won't have local bounties to cash in (only KWS stuff, which might give you bounties for random systems that you'll never visit). Go to a RES in a lawful system and you can rack up local bounties in a quickness. A single Anaconda can be worth about 500,000, and there are usually a bunch of wanted FAS' and Clippers and such. I like HazRES for bounty hunting because there aren't any cops taking out criminals before you can get to them. Easily earns several million in an hour.

Combat zones are also decent for money as long as you don't get spammed by railguns. Even though the per-ship payouts aren't as high as RES, it's such a target-rich environment that you can blow up dozens of ships in no time. Plus, giant space battles are fun. I'm working on the PGS thread's current combat zone operation and just made about 1,000,000 in less than an hour.

Fairly certain it's always been lawful areas. I'm still trying to find RESes near Kamadhenu which is my usual base.

I've killed condas before (with a lot of NPC help) and never seen one worth that much, my god. Usually they FSD out because I don't think NPCS get hit by mass disruption as hard as players, how the gently caress can one blink out when 5 ships are close range pounding him?

I'm not a fan of CZ's because if 2 Elite Vultures get a bug up their rear end about me I'm finished.

e: I haven't been using a KWS because when I would use one, I never found a guilty person, so I gave up. Do I not get the extra bounties without scanning?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

e: I haven't been using a KWS because when I would use one, I never found a guilty person, so I gave up. Do I not get the extra bounties without scanning?

You don't get them without KWS scanning, no. That's why most people suggest running a KWS when bounty hunting. Also, the KWS doesn't affect the Clean/Wanted in the lower-left corner, if that's what you were looking at. To see the additional bounties it picks up, you need to check the Contacts tab. Incidentally, the reason why a target with KWS bounties can still be Clean is because Clean/Wanted only refers to their status in the current system.

Some of the additional bounties may be for small, random systems you'll never visit, but you'll often pick up a major faction bounty that you can cash in next time you visit that faction's space. For example, while RES hunting in Federation space your KWS might pick up a bunch of Empire bounties that you can later claim from an Imperial system.

e: In CZ's, keep an eye on your radar to see how the battle is going, so you know when it's a good time to run. I was recently in a CZ for 30 or so minutes, when I noticed there were suddenly very few green contacts on radar. I began retreating, and shortly after I did I was targeted by like 6 ships. I got away easily because my head-start gave me enough distance to make chaff more effective, and to lessen the FDS mass disruption. It's easy to get tunnel vision in CZ's and not notice that the battle has swung way in the other side's favor.

Shine fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 16, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Decided to hop back in and cash in on Sothis runs, discovered I'm also suffering from the "Witchspace takes literal minutes to resolve" bug.

Thanks, always-online Singleplayer experience.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Decided to hop back in and cash in on Sothis runs, discovered I'm also suffering from the "Witchspace takes literal minutes to resolve" bug.

Thanks, always-online Singleplayer experience.
If you are playing Solo and don't want to deal with random players, switch to the Private Group. That seems to help immensely and the only other players ramming/shooting/scoop-touching you will be goons. :keke:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Literally the first reply.

4 hours later there's only one new reply. I don't think this is as bright on the radar as we think. Just people snooping SA.

On SRVs..

...we've had so much trouble getting more than 6-7 players into the same instance. My hopes are high but I have my doubts in regards to big smashing races through canyons and across small moons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LCL-Dead posted:

4 hours later there's only one new reply. I don't think this is as bright on the radar as we think. Just people snooping SA.

On SRVs..

...we've had so much trouble getting more than 6-7 players into the same instance. My hopes are high but I have my doubts in regards to big smashing races through canyons and across small moons.

The funny part is that I made a reply when I was in the "mods must approve" portion of my forumhood. That post never appeared.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The funny part is that I made a reply when I was in the "mods must approve" portion of my forumhood. That post never appeared.

Yeah - I've replied to that thread as well, but it gave me the "mod must approve" message and it hasn't appeared yet... even though I've posted on the forums before without a problem. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
we're not alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGyx4-lDfBM
:tinfoil:

• Locked thread