Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The combat benefit of chaff really depends on the ship you're flying. Chaff is best for small, nimble ships like Sideys, Eagles, Vipers, Diamondbacks - I'd say the biggest ships that really benefit from chaff are things like Cobras and Vultures. Any bigger ships than that (I'm looking at you Asp) tend to be so big that even if their gimbals are going nuts, chances are they're going to hit SOMETHING on you.

It does, however, keep people in PVP from punking your subsystems regardless of ship size (assuming they're not using fixed guns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Instead of nerfing smuggling, they should add actual consequences for getting caught. If the police scan you and you have illegal poo poo, then have them threaten action if you don't drop it (as if you're being pirated). Drop it, and you get a fine. Refuse, and they open fire and you get a bounty. They could take it even further by having stations deny/revoke your docking permission if the local cops detect illegal cargo, again unless you drop it.

With consequences like that, there'd be a real reason to do some of the ninja silent running heatsink module shutoff stuff people talk about. As it stands, I just waltz up to the station, and if they scan me then big deal; I just got fined $30,000 for a mission that pays 10 to 300 times that. Right now smuggling missions are just freight missions that clutter my transactions screen.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So get there, cheese the mission resets to fill up my log and hold, then get back to civilization and drop it all off?

How do you cheese the bulletin board missions? Just log in and out? I want to try this Sothis thing out with my Asp.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rasmussen posted:

How do you cheese the bulletin board missions? Just log in and out? I want to try this Sothis thing out with my Asp.

Switch between solo and private group modes via the main menu.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

This is what I was doing but I was finding, as stated before, sometimes it would "jam" and not change them for a while.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It took about a half hour of switching back and forth but I eventually made 23 mil on a smuggling run in my asp. Good times.

How long does it usually take for them to nerf this sort of thing? I'd like to get a couple more runs in.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It took about a half hour of switching back and forth but I eventually made 23 mil on a smuggling run in my asp. Good times.

How long does it usually take for them to nerf this sort of thing? I'd like to get a couple more runs in.

I personally don't think they will.

I did a few Sothis 400ly runs and 4m for the effort (20mins) is about the same as doing ring runs.

[Opinion]I think this is a balancing act because

1) Running rare nets you between 500k-3m/hr (depending on ship) regardless of rank
2) Running commodities depends on ship thus falls back on your rank (credits earned)

Sothis smuggling runs require rank to net you high value missions.

I'm at Entrepreneur rank and the missions I get vary from 3.5m - 5m at Sothis. I think its quite fair, and more of additional gameplay options than just boring commodity runs.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shine posted:

Instead of nerfing smuggling, they should add actual consequences for getting caught. If the police scan you and you have illegal poo poo, then have them threaten action if you don't drop it (as if you're being pirated). Drop it, and you get a fine. Refuse, and they open fire and you get a bounty. They could take it even further by having stations deny/revoke your docking permission if the local cops detect illegal cargo, again unless you drop it.

With consequences like that, there'd be a real reason to do some of the ninja silent running heatsink module shutoff stuff people talk about. As it stands, I just waltz up to the station, and if they scan me then big deal; I just got fined $30,000 for a mission that pays 10 to 300 times that. Right now smuggling missions are just freight missions that clutter my transactions screen.

Yeah, this would make far more sense and would balance it out pretty nicely.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Shine posted:

I support all of these proposed changes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
FYI if you call yourself a Diamond Frog you're basically required to run the current community mission of doing conflict zones in several systems cause conflict is what we do.

Drake_263 posted:

The combat benefit of chaff really depends on the ship you're flying. Chaff is best for small, nimble ships like Sideys, Eagles, Vipers, Diamondbacks - I'd say the biggest ships that really benefit from chaff are things like Cobras and Vultures. Any bigger ships than that (I'm looking at you Asp) tend to be so big that even if their gimbals are going nuts, chances are they're going to hit SOMETHING on you.

It does, however, keep people in PVP from punking your subsystems regardless of ship size (assuming they're not using fixed guns).
Even keeping half the enemy fire off you is better than having every shot hit. I know that I hold fire on enemy Anacondas when they pop chaff because even at half a klick enough of your shots are being thrown off that I usually feel I'm just wasting energy blasting away.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
This just in the FAS is cash money. Ditch that weeny shield and get beefy like a space man.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

no_recall posted:

I did a few Sothis 400ly runs and 4m for the effort (20mins) is about the same as doing ring runs.
You can clear 20m/hour or more in an Asp without a ton of difficulty, it just takes a larger up-front time investment stacking a bunch of missions.

I think the only thing that's come close to this in terms of rapid profit potential is the old Seeking Luxuries shenanigans.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
edit: It didn't work :sigh:

Sard fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 16, 2015

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shine posted:

Does it only work if you're playing Solo? I'm in Open but I'm just doing whatever comes along.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, this would make far more sense and would balance it out pretty nicely.

amazeballs posted:

I support all of these proposed changes.

Thanks! I submitted a thread about it on the official forums (though it's not visible yet because mods :arghfist::().

Aramoro posted:

Does it only work if you're playing Solo? I'm in Open but I'm just doing whatever comes along.

Could you paraphrase? I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Aramoro posted:

You're just switching between modes to get the board to offer you more/different missions. Once you've accepted a mission it doesn't matter what mode you play in.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

You can clear 20m/hour or more in an Asp without a ton of difficulty, it just takes a larger up-front time investment stacking a bunch of missions.

I think the only thing that's come close to this in terms of rapid profit potential is the old Seeking Luxuries shenanigans.

I sat in Sothis for about 15-20 mins before I got bored of refreshing and headed out with roughly 15 million worth of smuggled goods. My Asp has a good 80t of space and enough fuel to deliver everything without having to scoop or stop. It was actually fun, and felt like how smuggling should be, barring the mission stacking cheese.

I was Merchant rank when I started so I had to pass up on a juicy 7.6 million smuggle job which made me sad. Made it to Broker so hopefully I won't miss a good one like that again too often.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 16, 2015

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shine posted:

Could you paraphrase? I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

You said switching between Private and Solo play refreshed the mission board, I'm currently playing in Open, if I switched mode to private and back would that have the same effect? Can you even do that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I kill enough of these people trying to send me messages, will they stop chasing me?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The smuggling stuff seemed totally awesome at first, with the police chasing me after I did the old "submit then run" tactic and the same two guys following me from system to system shouting about having an alternative offer for me. The shine came off pretty quickly once I found out that killing those guys didn't stop them turning up again after every jump and that the system authority "pursuing" me was actually just being randomly generated when I entered a system. It was hugely disappointing because I want nothing more out of life than a Smokey and the Bandit simulator. :v:

I went to the brown sea to check if "being in hyperspace for five minutes every jump" is a known issue (apparently it is) and it's safe to say that place isn't getting any less hideous: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191668

SynthOrange posted:

If I kill enough of these people trying to send me messages, will they stop chasing me?
No. :frontear:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pilchenstein posted:

The smuggling stuff seemed totally awesome at first, with the police chasing me after I did the old "submit then run" tactic and the same two guys following me from system to system shouting about having an alternative offer for me. The shine came off pretty quickly once I found out that killing those guys didn't stop them turning up again after every jump and that the system authority "pursuing" me was actually just being randomly generated when I entered a system. It was hugely disappointing because I want nothing more out of life than a Smokey and the Bandit simulator. :v:

I went to the brown sea to check if "being in hyperspace for five minutes every jump" is a known issue (apparently it is) and it's safe to say that place isn't getting any less hideous: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191668

No. :frontear:

Amusingly cops will interdict you even in uninhabited systems, meaning that even if they scan you, nothing happens because it's an anarchy system so nothing is actually illegal.

Also after doing several runs, loading your ship down with enough fuel to make the run without stopping is the way to go. Though running a 6A fuel scoop on an asp is a close second.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WTF is the "brown sea?"

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Astroniomix posted:

Also after doing several runs, loading your ship down with enough fuel to make the run without stopping is the way to go. Though running a 6A fuel scoop on an asp is a close second.

:aaaaa:

Somehow all this time I never noticed that you could buy and add additional fuel tanks. Wow. Today I Learned.

Side note: how many extra tanks and what size is needed to get the Asp up to full run distance?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Insert name here posted:

Yeah Sothis runs are still a thing. Get as many as you can in while you still can in-case they decide to nerf it!
So I went back a couple pages and still not sure I understand, what is this Sothis smuggling thing?

It sound like a station where if you start in open play you get big bux smuggling missions and then just switch to solo for safety of the trip?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

WTF is the "brown sea?"

The official forum.

Siets posted:

Somehow all this time I never noticed that you could buy and add additional fuel tanks. Wow. Today I Learned.

Side note: how many extra tanks and what size is needed to get the Asp up to full run distance?

That was added recently. A lot of people have probably missed it :v:
I think Shine made an Asp with a C6 cargo rack, D3 shield and rest fuel tanks.

slidebite posted:

So I went back a couple pages and still not sure I understand, what is this Sothis smuggling thing?

It sound like a station where if you start in open play you get big bux smuggling missions and then just switch to solo for safety of the trip?

The latest patch introduced long distance missions with the payment scaling up with the distance travelled. Apart from two other systems nearby, Sothis is about 350LY away from the nearest station so a lot of the missions from there pay very well. You can reset the BB by switching between solo/group/open and pick up 10+ each worth several million.

Lima fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 16, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Siets posted:

putting a 64 ton tank in the size 6 slot will get you over 580ly on a single tank, which is enough to get from sothis to pretty much anywhere it's going to send you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus I did a Sothis run in a Cobra and ended up with 15 million bucks at the end of it. It took awhile to get there and awhile to get back but drat.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lima posted:

That was added recently. A lot of people have probably missed it :v:
I think Shine made an Asp with a C6 cargo rack, D3 shield and rest fuel tanks.
As long as you have an extra fuel tank in the C5 internal slot, you can just fill the remaining with cargo racks and still make the crossing. :keke:

E:
niiiiice!
\/\/\/\/\/

radintorov fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0RbIa9WmuI

also, a reply about tectonics from the Livestream thread.

Howdy folks.
I wanted to try and explain a little more about our system to hopefully lay some concerns to rest. For a plate-based tectonic system on a planet, a large enough temperature gradient is required to have a phase difference between a relatively thin crust and the deeper innards. That temperature gradient can be driven by things such as gravitational compression on a large enough body, or gravitational stress from orbiting a much larger body closely.
So yes, smaller terrestrial worlds, unless under rather specific conditions, will likely have crustal plates too thick for a tectonic mask to make sense. However, tectonic interactions is not the only way in which surface features can be formed.
Asteroidal impacts can create shockwaves across an entire planet's surface, deforming the crust in interesting patterns. The formation of a planet from the cataclysmic merging of two planetoids would liquify most of the material, but there is the chance for old solid outcrops to survive or influence the shape of the resulting body. Gravitational stressed can be enough to drive volcanism which forms mountain ranges on a surface. An event in a planet's past might alter its orbit from the previously stressful one to a wider/eccentric one, solidifying the new features. Impacts can cause rifts, ridges, and hill ranges as well as the expected crater.

To get back on topic, our 'tectonic mask' system takes into account various factors from Stellar Forge, such as:
expected gravitational stress / sibling and parent orbits
gravitational compression heating
material of the planet
size of the planet
tidal locking state
expected core, mantle, and crust temperatures
viscosity of mantle
deformability of the materials
age of the system
expected frequency and magnitude of meteorite collisions
nearby sources of regular debris
and more

The system creates masks for areas of potential crustal deformation activity. Those areas may reflect the shapes and activities of tectonic plates if it's sensible for that particular planet.
It may reflect other shapes if the sources of those deformations isn't bona fide tectonic activity. The same system is used for large and small planets, and adapts as it needs to.
We ended up calling it the 'tectonic mask' because it's short, snappy, and places the same kind of visual features (even if what physically would have generated them might have been different).

TL;DR "tectonics mask" is a shorthand way we've been describing all the regions of crustal major deformation from a variety of sources.

(p.s. similar thing with the limestone material on an oceanless planet question. Limestone is a short, relatable name for development compared to "calcium carbonate rich analogues" )

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

:vince:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gently caress me, I just went from six to midnight!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

That looks really fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have the weirdest boner right now.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
We are gonna do sooooo much stupid fun poo poo in those rovers. Grand Prix on New Africa, demolition derbies, anaconda ramping. Oooooh maaaan. :v:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Holy poo poo I'm getting the biggest Mass Effect Mako boner, it's just as I hoped
now just add on more detail and things on the surface and omigosh :flashfap:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
After finishing my Sothis run I switched back to my Vulture to go kill some dudes

And uh

It just wasn't fun anymore

I got immediately dicted by another Vulture using a cannon and apparently perfect aim (thanks npcs) and barely made it out at 8% hull. I repaired and made it to the nav beacon and it was just really boring and slow. Having dual C3 gimbaled lasers doesn't help that I'm sure. I realize that nav beacons are terrible for cash but it was late and I just wanted some combat but after the payday of Sothis anything else seemed like a waste of time, especially with my weird FAS boner

I almost want to just do Sothis runs for the next week or however long I can stand and then slip into that 88m beast I specced out and see if I can do Haz.

e: Probably the problem is that 2 weapon slots is actually not compelling gameplay, especially when your multi is so much shittier than laser.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 16, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Don't forget chaff won't help if your enemies are good at aiming. Because you can just de-select your target und still shoot your gimbals like fixed weapons. A very good pilot won't be affected by chaff that much.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ah there you are I have important information for you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What happens if you stop? Do they just attack you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They usually give you an alternate drop off point and say they'll pay you like 16k

That being said with the way npcs follow you now you may drop off to tak to a friendly guy but get jumped by 3 unfriendly npcs

• Locked thread