Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Chamale posted:

I'm going to make a fun multiplayer deck that has very few cards actually capable of winning the game, and a theme of killing my opponent with their poo poo. I'm torn between using a WUR commander for Scrambleverse and Thieves' Auction, or WUB for Worst Fears.

Anyone have thoughts on what might be better? I'm considering Oloro, Sen Triplets, Zedruu, or Ruhan.

Also, is Enduring Ideal actually fun? I'm trying to picture a game I win with Enduring Ideal, and all I see is Solitary Confinement -> Greater Auramancy -> Honden of Seeing Winds, unless I'm deliberately playing badly. I'll definitely want to play Eternal Dominion.

I mocked up the skeleton for a Rubinia Soulsinger deck that worked on much the same angle. I gave up on it, it was not super competitive while feeling a bit too feel-bad for scrub games, but it would be fun to pilot, and green brought some fun interactions to the table (e.g. Survival of the Fittest/Birthing Pod) as well as just being probably the second best color in Commander.

If you want to go Esper though, Merieke Ri Berit seems worth consideration for something more interesting and synergistic than the Couchmaster Supreme.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

There is a possible spoiler on salvation. RW commander. 3/3 for 4. Double strike vigilance. When you play a 5 or more cmc creature gain an experience counter. "" gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

There is a possible spoiler on salvation. RW commander. 3/3 for 4. Double strike vigilance. When you play a 5 or more cmc creature gain an experience counter. "" gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.

Yea, he will be the alternative to Kaalia I think. He is the "play your dragons, angels and giants" plus voltron commander. At 6 commander damage off the bat those experience counters (that don't go away upon death) and a Sword of X & Y is all it would really take to start being a threat.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Not super interesting. I'll have to see the final text to see if it can benefit from Evoke or other alternate CCs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea, he will be the alternative to Kaalia I think. He is the "play your dragons, angels and giants" plus voltron commander. At 6 commander damage off the bat those experience counters (that don't go away upon death) and a Sword of X & Y is all it would really take to start being a threat.

It's a "she". :eng101: And if you want a R/W big-dudes commander, you might as well play Aurelia and just get lots of extra battle phases.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

It's a "she". :eng101: And if you want a R/W big-dudes commander, you might as well play Aurelia and just get lots of extra battle phases.

In a more 'good stuff'-y list, sure, but she fulfills a niche as a more general Giant tribal list, whereas Brion Stoutarm has a wrinkle of maybe preferring more white creature reanimation/red artifact recursion effects.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Aurelia is more of a big dudes and lots of combats style deck, while this new commander would be more voltron with big beats for back up. I know it isn't a giant difference in play styles but just small variations.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Im just going to throw it into my Iroas deck. Instant-speed damage to all creatures during combat step as a one-sided board wipe is nice. If I don't have those spells handy, they can't usually block me anyway, so damage gets through no matter what.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Not super interesting. I'll have to see the final text to see if it can benefit from Evoke or other alternate CCs.

She can. Alternate casting costs are still casting and don't affect CMC.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

She can. Alternate casting costs are still casting and don't affect CMC.

I don't know why people just didn't link the image (or copypasta the text proper).

quote:

Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas - 2WR
Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier
Double strike, vigilance
Whenever you cast a creature spell with converted mana cost 5 or greater, you get an experience counter.
~ gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.
3/3

Anyway, yeah, I guess you could try and angle-shoot some stuff in that casts for less than its printed CMC.

Still not very interesting.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ingot Chewer, Spitebellows, and maybe Glarewielder are all cute with it, I guess. Still a boring general in the worst color combination though.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I don't know why people just didn't link the image (or copypasta the text proper).

Anyway, yeah, I guess you could try and angle-shoot some stuff in that casts for less than its printed CMC.

Still not very interesting.

I was on my phone, dick.

Find your own news next time. :emo:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Ingot Chewer, Spitebellows, and maybe Glarewielder are all cute with it, I guess. Still a boring general in the worst color combination though.

The problem is playing 5CMC+ creatures isn't usually want you want to do in a Voltron deck, which she clearly is, so it feels like maybe 5 cards different from a generic RW voltron deck. I mean, she seems like a pretty good RW Voltron commander, what with 3/3 double strike, but when your LEGENDARY COMMANDER is a french vanilla with minor upside, that's kinda flat.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 16, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

hoobajoo posted:

The problem is playing 5CMC+ creatures isn't usually want you want to do in a Voltron deck, which she clearly is, so it feels like maybe 5 cards different from a generic RW voltron deck. I mean, she seems like a pretty good RW Voltron commander, what with 3/3 double strike, but when your LEGENDARY COMMANDER is a french vanilla with minor upside, that's kinda flat.

That's kind of why I like a Giant tribal theme/sub-theme, because only so many of them are playable so you have room to fit in Equipment/Auras. Hell, Stonehewer fulfills both of these themes while giving you an Experience Counter.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

That's kind of why I like a Giant tribal theme/sub-theme, because only so many of them are playable so you have room to fit in Equipment/Auras. Hell, Stonehewer fulfills both of these themes while giving you an Experience Counter.

I do think she's pretty good and there's a deck for her, she's just not exciting. But then again, my favorite card is Fact or Fiction, so I'm pretty far away from a RW player.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Some keywords, a method to get bigger, the ability to keep that bigness.

It's fat slow Skullbriar in completely different colors.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Archenteron posted:

Some keywords, a method to get bigger, the ability to keep that bigness.

It's fat slow Skullbriar in completely different colors.

Skullbriar is cool because he has haste.

A Voltron general with no haste, no protection, no hexproof...

I'd rather play Uril or something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I honestly can't imagine a situation where I'd rather have a Kalemne deck than a Uril deck. Or a Rafiq deck.

If you're gonna play Voltron do it in colors that are fun and good. This is also true for all other archetypes.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I really hope they push the design space on the other RW legendary, if there is one. Voltron/playing-dudes isn't really anything new for Boros.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Aranan posted:

I really hope they push the design space on the other RW legendary, if there is one. Voltron/playing-dudes isn't really anything new for Boros.

they've always had 3 commanders per precon afaik so there should be 2 more.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Pyronic posted:

they've always had 3 commanders per precon afaik so there should be 2 more.

One is a reprint.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm thinking the reprint cycle for these will be the enemy-color legends printed in the first commander set, Edric and Basandra and such. Otherwise they'll just go with whatever fits thematically, and I'm guessing in that case the RW one will be Brion.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm thinking the reprint cycle for these will be the enemy-color legends printed in the first commander set, Edric and Basandra and such. Otherwise they'll just go with whatever fits thematically, and I'm guessing in that case the RW one will be Brion.

Brion seems very likely if they have any sort of 'big creatures'/Giant subtheme, which honestly is a bit of an interesting change when you consider how much of a token themes lots of RW decks can have (that Metalcraft +3/+0 commander comes to mind).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wasn't Brion in the first set? I can't imagine they'd print him again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wizards posted:

Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas - 2WR
Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier
Double strike, vigilance
Whenever you cast a creature spell with converted mana cost 5 or greater, you get an experience counter.
~ gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.
3/3

This is designed poorly. A Hill Giant with Double Strike is a fairly efficient face-smasher. but straight-up smashing face only goes so far in FFA multiplayer, and Boros is pretty much only good at smashing and blasting. It would be great in Tiny Leaders if it was a 2/3 for 3... except of course the 5CMC bit wouldn't work. Le sigh.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Gynovore posted:

This is designed poorly. A Hill Giant with Double Strike is a fairly efficient face-smasher. but straight-up smashing face only goes so far in FFA multiplayer, and Boros is pretty much only good at smashing and blasting. It would be great in Tiny Leaders if it was a 2/3 for 3... except of course the 5CMC bit wouldn't work. Le sigh.

The vigilance helps with the FFA multiplayer problem, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah a Giant subtheme actually seems pretty likely with the new one and Brion as potential commanders, because Sun Titan and Stonehewer Giant are both shoe-ins that are also Giants and there are surely a few others that are printable in a commander set.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Sarcastro posted:

The vigilance helps with the FFA multiplayer problem, though.

No one ever gives vigilance the love it deserves in edh. You can't beat swinging all in with your team, and still having them all ready to block. Especially a voltron.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

No one ever gives vigilance the love it deserves in edh. You can't beat swinging all in with your team, and still having them all ready to block. Especially a voltron.

As someone still tweaking a traditional tribal Sliver Hivelord deck, it's my third favorite keyword, right after indestructible and sliver.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Edit. Wrong thread sorry

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I remember listening to a commander podcast, and they summed it up by pointing out that, in a normal 1v1 game, you're on the attack once and then defending once, so it's better to be aggressive if you can. In multiplayer commander, however, you're on the attack once and then on defense, potentially, three or four times before you go again, so tapping out all your blockers is super risky. Vigilance lets you get around that problem entirely!

Stuff like Brave the Sands or Reconnaissance in a fatty deck, like Kalemne wants to be, can give people fits.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Okay, it would appear that my group is moving to be much more competitive. I had originally kept my Narset deck fairly tame and left out some things that would instantly win (Omniscience and Enter the Infinite for example). I've decided that since they are moving in the much more cut throat direction that I want this deck to move that way too. I've added some more of the cards needed to make this deck top notch. I DO want help with the lands...I can't afford Dual Lands so lets not include those suggestions. I need to make a few cuts obviously, but I've had trouble narrowing down what to take out. Should I take out the Storm cards? Are my Planeswalkers fine?

Creatureless Narset

I've made a lot of the changes that you guys have suggested before, but I think there are obvious cuts that you guys will see that I don't...

Thanks in advance for the look over.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Wanna make people real mad in 1v1 just play Wort, the Raidmother Land Destruction.

It's more fun than Grand Arbiter

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pretty good. The only cut would be Sphinx-Boner Wand; that's pretty much a win-more card. Put Ajani Vengeant in, and add Decree of Silence.

All that land destruction will create a lot of feelbads, so be sure you've read your playgroup right.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Pretty good. The only cut would be Sphinx-Boner Wand; that's pretty much a win-more card. Put Ajani Vengeant in, and add Decree of Silence.

All that land destruction will create a lot of feelbads, so be sure you've read your playgroup right.

They've all moved to degenerate decks...Skithiryx, Zur, etc.

Where games used to take an hour or so we are seeing a winner in like 10 minutes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OssiansFolly posted:

They've all moved to degenerate decks...Skithiryx, Zur, etc.

Where games used to take an hour or so we are seeing a winner in like 10 minutes.

The true utopia of EDH.

But, lolskittles.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

The true utopia of EDH.

But, lolskittles.

It is pretty common to see 1 person going out around turn 4 thanks to Skithiryx. Sucks for the person that didn't get exactly what they needed in their opening hand. Part of the reason I like Narset so much is I will straight mulligan down to 5 cards in an attempt to get all land/mana rocks in my opening hand. I don't need any other loving cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
That Narset deck need a lot of work. You need to be racing. Get rid of every CiPT land, all the expensive artifacts, all the goofy auras, put in a set of Greaves, dump all the walkers except fat Elspeth, add in some of the untap spells (Frantic Search, Snap, Treachery), pick a good finisher (or even a bad one, like Beacon of Destruction), drop in THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE, put in more 2-mana rocks (the MRD ones are great, so is Grim Monolith), add some tutors (definitely Mystic and Enlightened), add some more baller instants so you have stuff to do mid-combat (Submerge, Momentary Blink, Jilt (NOT MY HANNA!), Dig Through Time ), consider sunder, add some more countermagic (Miscalculation, Izzet charm, Swan Song, Remand, etc.).

Stop trying to win more and just win.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

That Narset deck need a lot of work. You need to be racing. Get rid of every CiPT land, all the expensive artifacts, all the goofy auras, put in a set of Greaves, dump all the walkers except fat Elspeth, add in some of the untap spells (Frantic Search, Snap, Treachery), pick a good finisher (or even a bad one, like Beacon of Destruction), drop in THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE, put in more 2-mana rocks (the MRD ones are great, so is Grim Monolith), add some tutors (definitely Mystic and Enlightened), add some more baller instants so you have stuff to do mid-combat (Submerge, Momentary Blink, Jilt (NOT MY HANNA!), Dig Through Time ), consider sunder, add some more countermagic (Miscalculation, Izzet charm, Swan Song, Remand, etc.).

Stop trying to win more and just win.

Okay, I took your advice and went through my list.

Can you take another look and offer some cuts?

I left counters out because last time I posted here people told me not to worry about counters...just get Narset out and swinging so other people don't get turns. Do I have too many extra turns and combat spells (is that possible with her)?

I can probably add Sunder if I figure out what fat to cut...do I need to get rid of some of the protection auras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, I took your advice and went through my list.

Can you take another look and offer some cuts?

I left counters out because last time I posted here people told me not to worry about counters...just get Narset out and swinging so other people don't get turns. Do I have too many extra turns and combat spells (is that possible with her)?

I can probably add Sunder if I figure out what fat to cut...do I need to get rid of some of the protection auras?

There is literally never enough extra turn/combat spells in Narset, that's basically all you want to do. I would cut the protection for Sunder for sure, since after you cast it, it'll be tough for anyone to kill her before you kill them. Narset's natural hexproof means only sweepers really kill her, I'd rather have counterspells instead of indestructibility effects in those slots, since those will be more general answers that should still be enough to protect you from Wrath; they'll also protect your daisy chain of extra attacks, and help make sure you get to resolve Narset. Without counterspells, a simple Forbid could just lock you out of winning the game. Don't go crazy on them, but I feel like 4-7 counterspells is a good number.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 23, 2015