Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lurdiak posted:

Okee dokee, here's something to get the ball rolling: Gambit giving advice in the area he's most experienced in.

From Avengers Academy 38. The entire issue is full of great interactions like this.

Ok, that's pretty good but I still can't get "It not you it Gambit" out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keeshhound posted:

Ok, that's pretty good but I still can't get "It not you it Gambit" out of my head.

Do wat Gambit say, not wat Gambit do, chere.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Toshimo posted:

Marvel Graphic Novel #1

It was the start of the standalone Graphic Novel line which also gave us classics such as X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills, Dazzler: The Movie, The Sensational She-Hulk, Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa, Daredevil: Love and War, The Mighty Thor: I, Whom The Gods Would Destroy, and Silver Surfer: Judgement Day.

Cool, thanks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I was 50/50 on posting this to the badass thread, but...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Keeshhound posted:

Same.

X-Men '92 #4

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That... sure is a face on her on the left.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That... sure is a face on her on the left.

Oh God. I think that might be a Funky Winkerbean smirk face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toshimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXaMnkmGq0

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Toshimo posted:

That would be a million times more effective if he wasn't using a weapon he got off a god.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Boogaleeboo posted:

That would be a million times more effective if he wasn't using a weapon he got off a god.

Considering Beta Ray Bill beat the crap out of Thor before he got his hammer, I'm guessing he sees the Asgard as just another race of highly advanced aliens.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Hah, it's funny because I actually had that picture in the first post, but the links apparently expired, so you totally picked the right thread for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

Marvel Graphic Novel #1

It was the start of the standalone Graphic Novel line which also gave us classics such as X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills, Dazzler: The Movie, The Sensational She-Hulk, Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa, Daredevil: Love and War, The Mighty Thor: I, Whom The Gods Would Destroy, and Silver Surfer: Judgement Day.

If you want the whole story including the lead-up, you need Captain Marvel #31-34 and Avengers #125. The Hachette reprint covers Invincible Iron Man #55, Captain Marvel #25-30 and Marvel Feature #12 as well.

Overall DoCM is a bit mawkish as you might expect, but the bit at the end when Thanos shows up is magnificent.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Considering Beta Ray Bill beat the crap out of Thor before he got his hammer, I'm guessing he sees the Asgard as just another race of highly advanced aliens.

Depending on the author, sometimes Thor can just go visit an afterlife if he wants (his niece runs one), and other times it's as much a mystery to him as it is to humans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All this talk about Captain Marvels and you guys leave out one of the greatest costume updates ever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rhyno posted:

All this talk about Captain Marvels and you guys leave out one of the greatest costume updates ever.

I put my faith in Greenlightning Cock.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That ain't a costume update...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Looks like everyone there is just as horrified.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Did Golden-Age Flash lose an eye or is that just a shadow?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love how this costume makes it look like Alan's trapped in that pose in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

He can't bend his elbows, but his shoulders/armpits have all the freedom in the world.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah, he's got a bit of this going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwn8l_AEAe4

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are those just poofy sleeves are did he develop massive arm tumors?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure he was paralyzed when he had this costume and it was acting as an exoskeleton.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toshimo posted:

It seems kinda silly to be an atheist in a universe where the Fantastic Four actually visited God (turns out that its Jack Kirby).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

After a while of living in said universe where thirty different people claim to all be different gods, you stop caring. Or just assume them to be yet another alien with Sufficiently Advanced Technology masquerading as magic.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 18, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Alhazred posted:

It seems kinda silly to be an atheist in a universe where the Fantastic Four actually visited God (turns out that its Jack Kirby).

I'm pretty sure at one point Reed Richards also spurned the idea of God and an afterlife (despite, you know, visiting it himself.)

Comic books continuity!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Alhazred posted:

He does say that even if there is anything divine, he doesn't like the idea of worshiping it anyway. Which fits, I mean if I rubbed shoulders with Thor or any of the other divinities, I'd probably find the idea of praying to them weird, to say the least.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

He does say that even if there is anything divine, he doesn't like the idea of worshiping it anyway. Which fits, I mean if I rubbed shoulders with Thor or any of the other divinities, I'd probably find the idea of praying to them weird, to say the least.

Even Odin prays to Thor when poo poo goes bad.

See also: Godbombs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, when you've seen as much poo poo as Bill has, it starts getting hard to not see higher powers as just more evolved powers. And prayer does seem pretty blasphemous and wrong at that point. You could worship Thor, but then you clearly have beings above him, like Galactus. And beings above him like Eternity or The Living Tribunal. Where does it end? Who's the real creator worthy of answering to?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, when you've seen as much poo poo as Bill has, it starts getting hard to not see higher powers as just more evolved powers. And prayer does seem pretty blasphemous and wrong at that point. You could worship Thor, but then you clearly have beings above him, like Galactus. And beings above him like Eternity or The Living Tribunal. Where does it end? Who's the real creator worthy of answering to?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

^ Close but

Choco1980 posted:

Alhazred posted:

(turns out that its Jack Kirby).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point Reed Richards also spurned the idea of God and an afterlife (despite, you know, visiting it himself.)

Yeah, someone posted panels earlier in this thread of him leaving a kind of video/hologram will to his kids with no sound with him writing out stuff about there being no God or Heaven, etc.

Then someone reposted the Beta Ray Bill panels, pointing out it was basically the same thing Reed was trying to convey, but phrased much better.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Teenage Fansub posted:

Who is the lightning lady in the back? I can name everyone else, but her. Also, I feel like she is tied with GL for silliest costume.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anora posted:

Who is the lightning lady in the back? I can name everyone else, but her. Also, I feel like she is tied with GL for silliest costume.

Literally, Lightning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(DC_Comics)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anora posted:

"That's an original Alex Ross design from Kindgom Come and because I loved Kingdom Come it is therefore great and needs to be a part of the mainstream DCU along with the Red Robin costume"

:goonsay:

This is what too many people at DC in the 00s actually believed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

mind the walrus posted:

"That's an original Alex Ross design from Kindgom Come and because I loved Kingdom Come it is therefore great and needs to be a part of the mainstream DCU along with the Red Robin costume"

:goonsay:

This is what too many people at DC in the 00s actually believed

I miss Magog.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

I miss Magog.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Gavok posted:

I miss Magog.
He was literally the only Kingdom Come insert I didn't hate just for the way he was used in Generation Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

He was literally the only Kingdom Come insert I didn't hate just for the way he was used in Generation Lost.

:arghfist::saddowns: Don't remind me of JL:GL. We missed out on a great JLI relaunch because of the stupid reboot.