Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Khizan posted:

There's also a 6-7 dollar Kindle version of that book.

I already have that; I just want something on my physical bookshelf. There are very few dead tree books that I actually buy these days, and "everything penned by Butcher" is on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
For some reason, I really really enjoyed the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. I like the characters and I think I've read, like, six books o the series (there may be 8 total).

It's definitely on the chick side of Urban Fantasy (sex and romance and silly alpha male shapeshifter bullshit, like seriously shut the gently caress up about that crap you silly gits) rather than the dude side of UF (well, all the other silly stupid poo poo that guys tend to focus on like m'ladying and whatever Harry Dresden does these days), but it finds a reasonable balance.

I liked the characters and much of the dynamics, and it's got an interesting world. The shapeshifter pack politics are kinda cool, and the vampires are mindless husks psychically inhabited by corporate necromancers blah blah. Pretty dope. It's really actiony.

John Ford's The Last Hot Time is fuckin' fantastic, however.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 16, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

The Bigfoot stories aren't going to be exclusive to the $35 hardcover, are they? I mean, as far as we know, they'll get re-re-printed in Side Jobs 2 eventually, right?

Most likely, but we won't know for certain until a table of contents is released, and I'd wager that's still a year or two away at least.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Drifter posted:

For some reason, I really really enjoyed the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. I like the characters and I think I've read, like, six books o the series (there may be 8 total).

It's definitely on the chick side of Urban Fantasy (sex and romance and silly alpha male shapeshifter bullshit, like seriously shut the gently caress up about that crap you silly gits) rather than the dude side of UF (well, all the other silly stupid poo poo that guys tend to focus on like m'ladying and whatever Harry Dresden does these days), but it finds a reasonable balance.

I liked the characters and much of the dynamics, and it's got an interesting world. The shapeshifter pack politics are kinda cool, and the vampires are mindless husks psychically inhabited by corporate necromancers blah blah. Pretty dope. It's really actiony.

I agree about Kate Daniels- if you can deal with the alpha/romance BS, they're pretty enjoyable.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

torgeaux posted:

Kate griffin midnight mayor series.

The Fool mentioned it a few posts up, I added it to my list. I also had The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins jotted down somewhere and forgot to mention it before.

At least that one's not a 10 volume series; it's awesome discovering a new author/character and finding out you have 10something more books to go through, but sometimes it can be a bit daunting.

I'll probably give Kate Griffin a shot, followed by Garret P.I. (since those are the two that are getting mentions, aside from the massive "no" that Nightside got); that should keep me busy for a while.

I also have The Croning here, but I may be too much of a wuss to start it. :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Drifter posted:

Ford also wrote How Much For Just The Planet, the best Star Trek novel there ever has been, or ever will be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

docbeard posted:

Ford also wrote How Much For Just The Planet, the best Star Trek novel there ever has been, or ever will be.

Never having read any star trek novels, is it good standalone, or are you saying it's good like how the best Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance novel is good, but still mostly poo poo compared to real books.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Drifter posted:

Never having read any star trek novels, is it good standalone, or are you saying it's good like how the best Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance novel is good, but still mostly poo poo compared to real books.

I'm saying it ends with a pie fight, is what I'm saying.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Seconding How Much for Just the Planet. It ain't high literature or anything, but it is hilarious.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Just saw that you mentioned the Pax Arcana books. They're pretty solid so far, I'd definitely recommend them.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Khizan posted:

Just saw that you mentioned the Pax Arcana books. They're pretty solid so far, I'd definitely recommend them.

As a secondary opinion, I listened to the first one and found it wholly unremarkable. It seemed somewhat generic and I felt like it was far too much "tell, not show".

I also really disliked the romance subplot. Reminded me of Correia's bullshit in MHI.

I didn't hate it, but I have felt no compulsion to continue the series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Russad posted:

As a secondary opinion, I listened to the first one and found it wholly unremarkable. It seemed somewhat generic and I felt like it was far too much "tell, not show".

I also really disliked the romance subplot. Reminded me of Correia's bullshit in MHI.

Monster Hunter International was something I read and thought had I been 15 or 16 I would've found it pretty awesome. Four years ago, however, it was slightly above mediocre. Definitely not a book I'd recommend to anyone.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Russad posted:

As far as male led Urban fantasy goes John and Sig's romance is above par. The series wins points for making Sig important in a way beyond "rugged hero dude's love/lust object", and John himself isn't as goony as he could've been. Granted, most of the development in their relationship takes place in later books.

Things can always change in book 4, but the series has yet to hit any cringeworthy bullshit when it comes to that aspect of the story.

Personally I enjoy the series, although the first two books do kind of drag a little.

Drifter posted:

I enjoy the Kate Daniels books, although they're incredibly frustrating because at one point midway through the series it starts to look like some of the characters are about to call the shapeshifter is out on their bullshit (the shape shifters are basically overactive homicidal militia with all of the impulsiveness and emotional self control of teenagers) and then nothing happens.

Also, an artifact of one of authors being a big Paranormal Romance author is that once a book there's an unnecessary poorly written sex scene that just kills the momentum dead. Whatever happened to a good fade to black?

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 16, 2015

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, all that introduction text is so I can ask you guys for recommendations. So far I have these on my list:

Twenty Palaces series. Start with Child of Fire. It's about a secret modern-day organization of sorcerers which has their goal to eliminate magic, which is heavily lovecraftean. Main character is a sorcerer's flunky.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Check out The Bone Key by Sarah Monette.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

cultureulterior posted:

Twenty Palaces series. Start with Child of Fire. It's about a secret modern-day organization of sorcerers which has their goal to eliminate magic, which is heavily lovecraftean. Main character is a sorcerer's flunky.

I'll second this, I enjoyed these.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cultureulterior posted:

These were pretty great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drifter posted:

It's basically a parody of star trek novels that he got away with writing under the official license. He never got a contract for another star trek licensed novel again.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

cultureulterior posted:

Hasn't Twenty Palaces been cancelled?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hasn't Twenty Palaces been cancelled?

Yes, but the three existing books are still pretty good.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The two Eric Carter books by Stephen Blackmoore are pretty good. Dark, but still pretty good.

Twenty Palaces is frustrating because it got cancelled due to lack of sales just as it was picking up.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Wouldn't you start with the prequel though?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ika posted:

Wouldn't you start with the prequel though?

You start with the first book, as it is the first one written. Do things by date published.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drifter posted:

You start with the first book, as it is the first one written. Do things by date published.

I strongly disagree for Twenty Palaces

The first book is confusing as hell. Start with the Prequel.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Starting with the first book" is the entire reason why the series stopped at three books. ;)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mars4523 posted:

The two Eric Carter books by Stephen Blackmoore are pretty good. Dark, but still pretty good.

Twenty Palaces is frustrating because it got cancelled due to lack of sales just as it was picking up.

Seconded on the Eric Carter books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drifter posted:

I'm pretty sure the first book written was the prequel, it just wasn't the first book published.

But really you can start with either. Starting with the prequel will make certain aspects of the first book a lot less mysterious, but if you're easily confused then it's definitely the way to go.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So, I'm not sure how long we're Spoil Blocking Cinder Spires stuff so I'm just going to spoiler this whole paragraph to be safe.

In chapter seven, Grimm is on his way to see the Spirearch (presumably about Predator and her needed repairs) when he is ambushed by the Silkweaver. Right before the attack, Bayard was going to retrieve Grimm for the Spirearch. This is all before the raid, so it has caused me to wonder why the Spirearch was sending for him then. Perhaps he already had suspicions the Aurorans had spies within the Spire? Perhaps he just saw an opportunity to subtly strong arm Grimm into his service, as he does after the attack? What do you think?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

So, I'm not sure how long we're Spoil Blocking Cinder Spires stuff so I'm just going to spoiler this whole paragraph to be safe.

In chapter seven, Grimm is on his way to see the Spirearch (presumably about Predator and her needed repairs) when he is ambushed by the Silkweaver. Right before the attack, Bayard was going to retrieve Grimm for the Spirearch. This is all before the raid, so it has caused me to wonder why the Spirearch was sending for him then. Perhaps he already had suspicions the Aurorans had spies within the Spire? Perhaps he just saw an opportunity to subtly strong arm Grimm into his service, as he does after the attack? What do you think?

I think the former, but suspicions only.

The Spirearch was always planning on shanghaiing Grimm. This conversation convinces me it had already been decided (before the meeting with the Spirearch):

quote:

“Ah!” he said. “Aha! Captain Grimm, welcome, welcome, so good to be able to speak to you when you aren’t delirious.” He glanced aside at the girl and mumbled out of the corner of his mouth, “He’s not delirious, is he?”

The girl shook her head with wide eyes that didn’t leave the ground. “No, master.”

Grimm was quite unsure how to respond with courtesy to such a greeting, but he settled for bowing slightly at the waist. “We haven’t met, sir. I’m afraid you have the advantage of me.”

“Yes, we did, tomorrow,” the old man said.
Pretty sure Ferus is referring to Grimm's future meeting with the Spirearch and himself.

One thing that stood out to me on my first read-through was that Spirearch == Gaius Sextus, a whole lot more competent and dangerous than he first appears.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 17, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

flosofl posted:

I think the former, but suspicions only.
Pretty sure Ferus is referring to Grimm's future meeting with the Spirearch and himself.
appears.

Oh that passage definitely refers to that. I was just wondering what has got Addison looking for him beforehand. I get that Ferrus may see the future, I just wonder where Addison is coming from.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Continuing with The Rhesus Chart:

This chapter I've just finished had Bob investigating the bank, only to find out Mhairi has already asked for the vampires to join the Laundry in the interim. As a result, the entire first third of the book now feels like the first two or three hours of Kingdom Hearts II, i.e. The longest prologue ever.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cinder Spires

So long guns are cooled by water tanks, does the text say what cools Airship cannons?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Cinder Spires

So long guns are cooled by water tanks, does the text say what cools Airship cannons?

The power crystal. misread.

Probably rate of fire and air flow due to actually flying. Or if we want to be accurate, authorial fiat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can I ask about Dracula here? Specifically, is there a good "origin story" for Dracula I could read?

If I recall correctly, in Stoker's novel, Dracula has spent centuries mastering alchemy and black magic and now wants to realise his dreams of conquest, but the most we hear about his early years (and, based on what I remember) is Harker's guess that he could be the same man as Vlad the Impaler. Obviously there's not going to be anything "official" but has anyone written a good story exploring how Dracula became a vampire, and how he was before?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever written a good story about Dracula period?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

The original Dracula is quite good so yes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Continuing with The Rhesus Chart:

This chapter I've just finished had Bob investigating the bank, only to find out Mhairi has already asked for the vampires to join the Laundry in the interim. As a result, the entire first third of the book now feels like the first two or three hours of Kingdom Hearts II, i.e. The longest prologue ever.

Now you can read my spoiler. :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Now you can read my spoiler. :)

Thanks!

<goes back; reads>

Exactly!

The bit in the very next chapter where he introduces Old George would have made for a perfectly good prologue.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anilEhilated posted:

I enjoyed The Historian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The original Dracula is quite good so yes.
Really? I found it way too Victorian for my tastes.

Ornamented Death posted:

I enjoyed The Historian.
This looks pretty interesting.