Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What do Tomes and Grimoires do

They take up slots that could be filled with healing items/potions while doing nothing in game. They give you extra loot dice at the end of a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, ok. Cool. I had one but my group died after blowing the horn. RIP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kamikaze Raider posted:

They take up slots that could be filled with healing items/potions while doing nothing in game. They give you extra loot dice at the end of a level.

It kind of makes me laugh how people in the beta are frothing at the teeth for the tomes while barely making it through the level alive (or not at all) all for the sake of loot that will be gone in a week

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What do Tomes and Grimoires do

Grimoires also reduce the entire party's max health and once dropped disappear forever. The dice they give you is a guarenteed face however.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It kind of makes me laugh how people in the beta are frothing at the teeth for the tomes while barely making it through the level alive (or not at all) all for the sake of loot that will be gone in a week

Unless I misread it, they said your beta progress will transfer to retail. Unless it meant old beta to this.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, I guess I've heard conflicting reports.

Isn't this the pre-order "beta," and didn't they say that they weren't going to wipe prior to release unless they absolutely had to?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless I misread it, they said your beta progress will transfer to retail. Unless it meant old beta to this.

No, this is the beta that will be persistent, UNLESS they discover some game breaking bug that people have been taking advantage of to game the system. THEN they will do resets, but they hope not to.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was referring to people doing that in the old beta that ended yesterday, that I believe they explicitly said would not carry over. This new preorder beta I have no idea, I guess it does carry over

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All progress from this beta will carry as long as there isn't some massive technical bug where they have to rest to fix it

I'm hoping they'll do Skaven playable DLC cause Skavens helping man-things to beat other Skavens is completely true to Skaven nature. Skaven are the best

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I was referring to people doing that in the old beta that ended yesterday, that I believe they explicitly said would not carry over. This new preorder beta I have no idea, I guess it does carry over

They've said, barring some catastrophic bug that needs to be fixed with a wipe, progress from this beta will carry over.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All progress from this beta will carry as long as there isn't some massive technical bug where they have to rest to fix it

I'm hoping they'll do Skaven playable DLC cause Skavens helping man-things to beat other Skavens is completely true to Skaven nature. Skaven are the best

I'm hoping more for an Ork one. Think of how much fun the lines will be for an Ork talking with the rest of the characters, and what he says when krumpin' rats?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Grimoirs give you extra loot dice if you can drag it to the end of the map, but it sits in your first aid slot and cuts everyone's max health while is being carried

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyone got a cliffs notes on how this is different from L4D / what to do / where to go for someone who's just playing the beta for the first time

I'd like to spend a minimum of time getting yelled at (or at least getting yelled at where I deserve it)

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Note that cursed dice, tomes and grimoires do not give you extra dice, but rather upgrade one of the 7 you get.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

terrorist ambulance posted:

Anyone got a cliffs notes on how this is different from L4D / what to do / where to go for someone who's just playing the beta for the first time

I'd like to spend a minimum of time getting yelled at (or at least getting yelled at where I deserve it)

Always stick with your group. If you're familiar with L4D you should already know this but given how this more of a melee centered game, it's a can be a lot more difficult to regroup/get saved if you separate.

Block! Even blocking the rat ogre's swing! Pushing is super effective as well but know that it draws aggro. Unless you're playing a board and sword char (Dwarf or sgt) try to save it for when you need some breathing room only.

Aim for head especially on specials

If you play bright wizard you can cool down your overcharge by hitting the reload key but you will take damage.

Depending on what FoV you set your game to, the range of your melee swings might be a little longer than you think

Dodge! spacebar + direction

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

Note that cursed dice, tomes and grimoires do not give you extra dice, but rather upgrade one of the 7 you get.

Correct, they upgrade the dice to ones with better odds of 'hitting'. IE, they have more faces. Grimoire dice have 6 faces (100%), Tome dice have 3 faces (50%), Cursed Dice have 2 faces (33%), and normal dice have 1 face (16.5%).

Grimoires sit in your booster potion slot, and cut your teams health by 25%. This stacks if both are carried.

Tomes sit in your health item slot, but have no ill effects and can be dropped and picked up whenever.

Cursed dice sit in hammer space and take no slots, but MAY have spooky bad luck effects.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

terrorist ambulance posted:

You don't want to do the marathon race to the end like l4d. Take a bit more time and scavenge because you want to get those bonuses to loot that come from the dice. There are more obstacles that will slow you up and one way barricades that can cause you to get separated in a way that your friends can't rescue you. I'm specifically unsure if there are respawn closets on the low difficulties like there is on l4d, but I would not hedge your life on it.

Ranged weapons tend towards limited ammunition and/or sketchy accuracy or reuse time or damage. Don't think you can mouse1+W your way through this like left 4 dead. Hacking your way through a mob of rats will take way longer than blasting your way through a l4d horde with shotguns while sprinting full tilt.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also you want to go a little slower because there are patrols of extremely strong Stormvermin that march through the level, specifically designed to gently caress up the unwary/unlucky.

There are definitely respawn points but they're not rooms, the Skaven just leave you hogtied on the ground. :v:

Great runs with goons tonight, we did all three levels out of order so I guess the Plot Immersion was kind of broken but we were too busy killing rats to care. Someone got a cool flaming sword and I got an axe-and-shield combo that made rats fly back a dozen yards when you bashed them, good stuff.

Then we tried Hard mode and got our faces absolutely pushed in.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
There are respawn places, though they tend to be further apart. It IS important to keep moving in this, as specials and hordes will keep spawning if you waste time, but the important part is to be moving forward together. It's a lot harder for someone to get to you if you run into trouble, even a few clanrats can seriously ruin a rescue attempt.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just played a few games with pubbies and while I was able to get through the Horn of Magnus and sewer level just fine, they can not seem to grasp the idea of the grain level. As soon as we get to the sacks they split off thinking they'll just grab a sack each and get done with it quick. It's obvious that the idea is to stay together while transporting one, maybe two sacks at a time back to cart. Nope.

They also seem to love fighting rat ogres inside of houses for some reason. This is a bad idea. Do not do this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I just played a few games with pubbies and while I was able to get through the Horn of Magnus and sewer level just fine, they can not seem to grasp the idea of the grain level. As soon as we get to the sacks they split off thinking they'll just grab a sack each and get done with it quick. It's obvious that the idea is to stay together while transporting one, maybe two sacks at a time back to cart. Nope.

They also seem to love fighting rat ogres inside of houses for some reason. This is a bad idea. Do not do this.

Probably another case of L4D memory seepage; the best way to gather gas cans was to just split off into pairs and go hunting.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Can anyone give me access privileges for the vermintide channel in CTS please? Name of tarbrush

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
The trick with the sacks, as I see it, is to keep picking them up and dropping them. They don't blow up like gas cans, so there is no risk of them getting blown up when things get hairy. So you can set up a convoy, grab 3 sacks, and have 1 person covering while moving them back to the wagon. Also, you don't need to carry them straight back to the cart in one go, you can move them in steps, like with Payday 2. So if you can get them all in one spot, it's easier for 2 people to cover while 2 others grab/throw them in the direction of the cart.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Can anyone give me access privileges for the vermintide channel in CTS please? Name of tarbrush

Check the CTS thread, you don't need access, you just need to register your username with the mumble server.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
WEll, stormvermin are insane.

Bright wizards - how do they work? Can you friendly fire? You blow up at max charge, or you have an increasing chance to blow up as you build charge?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Tried my first game of the pre-release beta. Bots are still OK on normal, but they are REALLY quick to discard tomes for healing items. Still got my first Grudgeraker out of it though, so I can't complain too hard.

I also may be the only person in the world that likes the Witch Hunter's rapier over his Zweihander. The big stick feels so clumsy, while the rapier is a precision instrument. I'm guessing it comes down to taste.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Elpato posted:

Tried my first game of the pre-release beta. Bots are still OK on normal, but they are REALLY quick to discard tomes for healing items. Still got my first Grudgeraker out of it though, so I can't complain too hard.

I also may be the only person in the world that likes the Witch Hunter's rapier over his Zweihander. The big stick feels so clumsy, while the rapier is a precision instrument. I'm guessing it comes down to taste.

Not the only one, I love the rapier. It really makes mince meat out of Stormvermin, as you have high block and you can usually fire off your charged thrust before they can attack. It's always armor piercing, so you don't have to hit the head for it to work, and the offhand pistol is an extra 16 shots. It also attacks fast, and makes mincemeat of slave rats.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Been playing a couple rounds as the dwarfo. Holy poo poo this game is fun!

Had what was otherwise a pretty good run go quickly to poo poo when split up for just a second when two packmasters and a gutter runner hit us (and then an invasion started.) This game took no time in punishing us for splitting up.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Bright wizards are pretty fun. As far as I can tell, you build up charge with each spell, and vent it with R. The small area in the middle of the meter is "free" charge; once you hit the notches on the overcharge, you take damage while venting. If you max out your charge, it vents automatically and you take lots of damage.

It's a fun game of trying to cause as much damage while minimizing the hurt to yourself / team. No idea if you can friendly fire with fireballs, I just do it anyways.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
This is pretty legit! Everyone plays like you'd want them to play, including the witch hunter having an offhand pistol and the elf having that Legolas as poo poo bow. I'm really digging this and I'm glad I got interested in it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm enjoying playing witch hunter again... makes me miss the old age of reckoning days!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really like the soldiers repeater gun, it seems to occasionally go through two rats, killing both!

Aside from that the shield is ridiculously good and I got through the entirety of the horn of magnuses onslaught part without taking damage. Threw my bomb on the first swarm, shot most coming up the stairs and when I got swarmed i'd just bash with the shield, gives you more breathing room than you need.

Also if a ratling gunner is aiming at you and a load of rats are running in the way, just block, he'll kill them all and have to reload before he breaks your shield.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The inn rooms for each hero actually have a lot of cool little details in them. The dwarf appears to be slowly replacing the boards covering his windows with bricks. Good, solid dwarven engineering.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Where do you switch up your weapons / gear?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Go to the inn, or the start of each level

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Any tips on graphics settings to boost framerate? Even set to 'lowest', it seems pretty clunky.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
To clarify, you can technically avoid the stormvermin patrols if you're quiet/sneaky enough, right?

(Also, good god this game is awesome. Bugger your black-powder, longbow and arrows for life.)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Not just technically can, but should be able to in most cases

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I tried the Empire guy with a sword and board. The combat feels loose on first impression. Like a slash just kind of hits everything on screen with a very forgiving range, and the push seems to go way out. Is it like Chivarly where you do more damage based on where within your swing the hit connects?

Some guy was talking about dice a lot too. Kept asking if we were getting them when he picked them up. No idea what he meant, but the end of mission screen said something about bonus dice so I guess we got them too. Should I be looking for dice too or let other dudes worry about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

whats the deal with the game glitching out and restarting the level? Had it happen twice on the first mission - once right after you blow the gate w/ the barrels, and the other after you sounded the horn.

• Locked thread