Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

It amazes me how large a percent of people who are for guns seem to believe that having a gun will allow them to fight off multiple armed attackers, likely by pressing in both thumbsticks (or Ctrl on the PC) to activate their bullet time ability.

That's literally what it can do. It's a force multiplier.

All you have to do is google "man defends home with gun" and there are plenty of instances of it happening. Yeah I get that a man with a caved in skull from a bat won't be at his tip top fighting shape, but you're definitely better equipped to resist an attack with a gun than not. How is that even an argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

That's literally what it can do. It's a force multiplier.

0 x 1000 is still 0, buddy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

various cheeses posted:

How is that even an argument?
I'm going to guess a lot of it is having never actually faced any variety of threat due to a rounded corners world, helicopter parents, coddling during schooling, living someplace with low crime and a functional police force, and being white so you can actually call the police to help you. I could be wrong though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

0 x 1000 is still 0, buddy.

What are you even arguing? That it's impossible to resist an attacker without a gun, so it's also impossible to resist with a gun?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

various cheeses posted:

What are you even arguing? That it's impossible to resist an attacker without a gun, so it's also impossible to resist with a gun?
I think what he was saying is that you should hit an intruder with your keyboard or your controller or something.

I mean, I guess kudos to him for recognizing that it's not as simple as point and shoot. Though the anti-gun side usually thinks it's as easy as point and shoot for criminals, but impossible to actually hit anyone while defending yourself.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

I'm going to guess a lot of it is having never actually faced any variety of threat due to a rounded corners world, helicopter parents, coddling during schooling, living someplace with low crime and a functional police force, and being white so you can actually call the police to help you. I could be wrong though.

Please, enlighten me to your personal story of totally owning those criminals who busted into your house all hopped up on PCP looking to kill and rape your entire family.

various cheeses posted:

In many cases, yes. There are, in fact, also cases where going for your gun will get you killed where you might have survived. I'm sorry, but you can daydream about it all you want all day every day, but you aren't going to pull out a gun and fire it faster than a criminal who already has his gun ready and aimed at you is going to put you down. Congratulations, you got yourself killed for no reason, but you got to pretend to be a big manly-man while you did it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Please, enlighten me to your personal story of totally owning those criminals who busted into your house all hopped up on PCP looking to kill and rape your entire family.
poo poo no. I live in a safe neighborhood. Pretty much everyone has guns.

Who What Now posted:

In many cases, yes. There are, in fact, also cases where going for your gun will get you killed where you might have survived. I'm sorry, but you can daydream about it all you want all day every day, but you aren't going to pull out a gun and fire it faster than a criminal who already has his gun ready and aimed at you is going to put you down. Congratulations, you got yourself killed for no reason, but you got to pretend to be a big manly-man while you did it.
Because this is literally the only scenario you can every defend yourself in. There is literally no way that having a gun would have stopped any of this before that point. People who want to do you harm always walk up to you with their guns drawn on you, just like the police (well, except for Tamir Rice. He just got glocked the gently caress down in cold blood). Stop with all your gun fantasies, guys.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Your logic's pretty good.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

love in iron sight

or

How I met your mother

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

poo poo no. I live in a safe neighborhood. Pretty much everyone has guns.

Correlation is obviously causation, as we all well know.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

love in iron sight

or

How I met your mother
:drat:

Who What Now posted:

Correlation is obviously causation, as we all well know.
Oh, those were two unrelated statements. Sorry, I should have put a line break between them.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

stealie72 posted:

I think what he was saying is that you should hit an intruder with your keyboard or your controller or something.

I mean, I guess kudos to him for recognizing that it's not as simple as point and shoot. Though the anti-gun side usually thinks it's as easy as point and shoot for criminals, but impossible to actually hit anyone while defending yourself.

Lol oh yeah I forgot about that.

Things I have learned in this thread:

Criminals:
  • Won't take anything other than your money/xbox - leave them alone and let them work safely!
  • Approach the point of invincibility, never miss with their guns which they always have
  • Ninja-silent, can kill you in your sleep or before you can react - there's no point in trying to resist
  • Are always rational actors, and should always be given the benefit of the doubt

Gun owners:
  • Only dream about murder
  • Guns are pointless toys and useless for self defense
  • Are helplessly inept to the point of comedy
  • Dangerous and unpredictable, always assume the worst when dealing with

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

"There are cases of one thing and also other cases of other things" doesn't really help much. Care to provide some statistics on defending yourself with a gun vs defending yourself with your pissed-in slacks?

lol this thread is so fun

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ozmiander posted:

Your logic's pretty good.

For your viewing pleasure, I present a pro-gun poster's plan in event of an attacker threatening them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxLY9jQuzw

They've practiced this move in their imagination within the safety of their suburban white neighborhoods for years, and they are always ready to bust it out at a moment's notice should a blah... *ahem* criminal break into their house.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

a blah... *ahem* criminal
Why are the anti-gun people so quick to bring up fantasies about killing black men. . .

The last guy who tried to break into my place was white, you KKK-loving piece of poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Things I have learned in this thread:

Gun owners:
  • Are helplessly inept to the point of comedy

How are you only just now learning this? This has been self-evident for decades. gently caress, just look up statistics for self-inflicted accidental injuries.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

For your viewing pleasure, I present a pro-gun poster's plan in event of an attacker threatening them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxLY9jQuzw

They've practiced this move in their imagination within the safety of their suburban white neighborhoods for years, and they are always ready to bust it out at a moment's notice should a blah... *ahem* criminal break into their house.

poo poo man, if The Boss wanted my poo poo, i'd toss her my keys and lay face down on the floor. Have you SEEN her CQC moves?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

How are you only just now learning this? This has been self-evident for decades. gently caress, just look up statistics for self-inflicted accidental injuries.

A small subsect of idiots shooting their dicks off by accident does not represent a majority or even a significant number of gun owners, no matter how hilarious it is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Why are the anti-gun people so quick to bring up fantasies about killing black men. . .

I dunno, why are gun owners so prone to talking about theirs? Find me one gun forum that isn't SA and isn't filled to bursting with posts indistinguishable for Stormfront.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 16, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ozmiander posted:

poo poo man, if The Boss wanted my poo poo, i'd toss her my keys and lay face down on the floor. Have you SEEN her CQC moves?

I'm not arguing there. MGSV should have been about The Boss.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

I'm not arguing there. MGSV should have been about The Boss.

Ozmiander, Do it!

*shits self in fear*

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Who What Now posted:

I'm against anyone pushing for any gun regulation in any form in this country, HTH

Interesting. Why is that then? Is it because in your opinion gun proliferation has made self-protection with guns the only possible way to ensure personal safery?

Ozmiander posted:

In actual serious talk, i think it's amazing how a large percent of people against guns seem to believe that the best course of action is to simply submit to an aggressor, even if you or your loved ones are facing immediate violence/death/rape/etc.

Who said "submit"? All we've posted is "barricade yourself", or "evacuate if you can". A position that is shared by law enforcement officers and self-defense and security bloggers.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Interesting. Why is that then? Is it because in your opinion gun proliferation has made self-protection with guns the only possible way to ensure personal safery?

Already answered this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've been violently attacked twice in my life, once result in quite serious injuries. Both times having a weapon would not have helped my situation, since surprise surprise people who want to do you harm are a statistical anomaly so small that to take adequate precautions against them would make you a paranoid lunatic afraid to leave your house.

The first time was in a nightclub bathroom. I had my cock out and was pissing when a bunch of men caught me by surprise with a knife. I suppose if I had a gun or a knife I could have predicted that some guy would grab my head and slam it into the wall, or more than likely I would have just stumbled around blindly with my cock out and end up doing sweet gently caress all like what happened anyway. Or maybe they would have taken my gun and shot me. Who knows?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

I've been violently attacked twice in my life, once result in quite serious injuries. Both times having a weapon would not have helped my situation, since surprise surprise people who want to do you harm are a statistical anomaly so small that to take adequate precautions against them would make you a paranoid lunatic afraid to leave your house.

The first time was in a nightclub bathroom. I had my cock out and was pissing when a bunch of men caught me by surprise with a knife. I suppose if I had a gun or a knife I could have predicted that some guy would grab my head and slam it into the wall, or more than likely I would have just stumbled around blindly with my cock out and end up doing sweet gently caress all like what happened anyway. Or maybe they would have taken my gun and shot me. Who knows?

You not being able to defend yourself means no one else should try. Gotcha.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

You not being able to defend yourself means no one else should try. Gotcha.
He may have tried peeing on their shoes, he didn't mention.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who said "submit"? All we've posted is "barricade yourself", or "evacuate if you can". A position that is shared by law enforcement officers and self-defense and security bloggers.

Not every criminal has a gun, not every crime involves the use of one. A gun is just simply the most effective tool for defense. I'm not arguing it will make you an invincible superman, but if given the chance to defend yourself, there is nothing better to have.

Also not every house has an impenetrable panic room, and not everyone can just jump out a window.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Who What Now posted:

Already answered this.
Is this it?

Who What Now posted:

There are none. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Bath in the viscera of the innocent slain. Offer their souls, and yours, to the alter of the gun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That's the more succinct one, yes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

various cheeses posted:

Not every criminal has a gun, not every crime involves the use of one. A gun is just simply the most effective tool for defense. I'm not arguing it will make you an invincible superman, but if given the chance to defend yourself, there is nothing better to have.

Also not every house has an impenetrable panic room, and not everyone can just jump out a window.

No it's not. Time and again it has been shown that having a gun in your house increases the risk for you. For a pacified society, reduce the amount of guns in circulation.
You have the mentality of a lottery player. Oh! I'll focus on such and such unlikely scenario where having a gun will make me the hero of the day, and not take into account the much likelier chance that it will backfire and get you or a loved one injured or killed.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

For a pacified society, reduce the amount of guns in circulation.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Given the number of ridiculous and implausible stories about being attacked gun owners tell me on the internet I can only conclude that owning a gun comes with some supernatural baggage that makes you a magnet for crazy people.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mavric posted:

The amount of time gun owners spend thinking about what if murder scenarios is starting to seem like maybe they are all just a little unstable? Maybe it's the constant fascination with weapons?

The gun control people in this thread seem to spend far more time thinking about what if murder scenarios and have far more of a fascination with weapons, judging by what's been posted.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Plinkey posted:

Didn't some company try to get away with only the adapter that screws onto the barrel is the 'silencer' part and was basically durable and never needed to be replaced so that the baffles would be cheaper? I vaguely remember something like that but I assume the economies of scale made it not worth it because waiting 6+ months to buy a literal screw adapter is dumb.

Fake edit:

I was thinking of econ-cans and solvent-traps.

Pictured: A part you have to wait 6+ months and pay $200 for the privilege of buying. If your local chief of police lets you.

e: I think that last one was the wrong picture.

You can also buy the same thing on amazon but if you install it without a stamp, it's a felony. Makes perfect sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Adapter-Anodized-Aircraft-Aluminum/dp/B00PE0JPFW/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SY4CB9AS9SPD15J4KZT

Doesn't that option make the oil filter a suppressor too so you have to declare each oil can for a stamp?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

-Troika- posted:

The gun control people in this thread seem to spend far more time thinking about what if murder scenarios and have far more of a fascination with weapons, judging by what's been posted.
Guns are taboo to them. Taboos are always a turn-on.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

-Troika- posted:

That's hilarious coming from the people who think their shooty toys are so important as to completely determine votes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Reminder for Friday, October 16th 2015 that some 80 people have perished or will perish in the United States of America beause of guns today. There have been a couple shootings on street corners, a bunch of suicides with guns, a few gun-related accidents resulting in death today, and some cops shooting people. A good fraction got killed by people they knew and who had no criminal record. Owning a gun was actually the number 1 cause of death for these people because the injuries that led to most of their deaths were self-inflicted, and some were shot by their own guns.
Reminder as well that an unknown number of guns were stolen today from their legal owners because of improper storage, increasing the amount of illegal guns in circulation. If anyone has an amount, please supply it so I can add it to tomorrow's reminder.

All this to say that the 2nd Amendment in no way precludes intelligent regulation of guns, selective bans, and the registration of gun owners, all of which would contribute to a pacified society and the gradual elimination of this ghastly gun culture.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

That's hilarious coming from the people who think their shooty toys are so important as to completely determine votes.

And fell in love with guns because of an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Reminder for Friday, October 16th 2015 that some 80 people have perished or will perish in the United States of America beause of guns today. There have been a couple shootings on street corners, a bunch of suicides with guns, a few gun-related accidents resulting in death today, and some cops shooting people. A good fraction got killed by people they knew and who had no criminal record. Owning a gun was actually the number 1 cause of death for these people because the injuries that led to most of their deaths were self-inflicted, and some were shot by their own guns.
Reminder as well that an unknown number of guns were stolen today from their legal owners because of improper storage, increasing the amount of illegal guns in circulation. If anyone has an amount, please supply it so I can add it to tomorrow's reminder.

All this to say that the 2nd Amendment in no way precludes intelligent regulation of guns, selective bans, and the registration of gun owners, all of which would contribute to a pacified society and the gradual elimination of this ghastly gun culture.

I love the argument that these crimes happened BECAUSE OF GUNS. Not because someone wanted to kill themself, others, etc.

• Locked thread