Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey clan wars people, is the Safari event as hilariously unfun and terrible as the rules made it look? There was no actual prize so I'm sitting this one out - did I make the correct choice, or has Wargaming finally made a fun clan event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Couldn't tell you too busy playin' AW

But it sure looks like a giant pile of poo poo

Edit: Since they introduced cw 2.0, cw seasons and this lovely campaign, wargaming has basically killed the cw sandbox and have shown no will to bring it back.

BUY MY TANKS GUY

Salean fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 16, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I found the T-43 to be an amazing little tank. Just have to learn how to shield that front right quarter. Mind you I came into it from the KV-13 (which is also awesome) and didn't drive the T-34-85, excluding beta, until I bought my Rudy.

Well to be fair, if you drove the T-43 then you also drove the T-34-85, even if you didn't technically do it.

Cardiac posted:

Nah, the Chi-ri is hardly a keeper.
As for the Chi-ri, I kinda played it like a fat kid with a smg. The snap shot meta is beneficial to it since it has good gun handling so one can just auto aim, pop out and spray bullets. Reload is pretty good for the clip as well. Being able to land 400 damage is pretty great for a medium and allows it in some situations to trade hp with tier 8 hts.
But in all honesty, the chi-ri is a clean up tank that is great for killing low hp enemies. Which incidentally means that the game is already won by then.
I have some video clips on my YT for those interested how I played it.

Tl:Dr.
It is a fun tank for some players, but not all.

I guess I didn't mention [recently] that I skip stuff via free XP (either part or all of a grind) if I don't think it's going to be fun for me. I've skipped tanks like the Chi-Ri that I didn't think I'd enjoy at all, but I'm still playing some lovely tanks (e.g. T28) that I think I can do something with. I always have the option of free XPing out of something, like I did towards the end of the A-44, but opted not to bother trying the Chi-Ri.

Nordick posted:

Regarding the Challenger, I am endlessly confused why WG upguns some tanks to make them viable at their tier, but not some others. The Challenger wouldn't be nearly as pathetic if they gave it the 20pdr.

I still didn't hate the tank, and I actually ground all the way through it, but I do agree it's really weak.

They probably could add the 20 pdr, change nothing else about the tank, and it would still not be OP. See: SU-101 upcoming un-nerf.

stephenfry posted:

http://tank-compare.com/en/compare/t-34-1/kv-13/t-43#T1=440I355I303I542I203&T2=376I259I233I472I174&T3=365I259I243I456I172

the redeemingest feature is the insane camo. the reload is just long enough to get unspotted before peaking totally to get a well aimed shot off. Train 6th sense.

It's the fact that you have to fight with the gun to get it to work that makes the tank so frustrating. It might be small with good camo, but there are other problems with the T-34-1 that make it frustrating to play. I'll ask the question from before: did you keep the T-34-1 after finishing the grind?

frood posted:

You're playing it wrong, the T25/2 is the best tier 7 medium.

Pros:
Utterly fantastic gun
Unbelievably fantastic gun handling
Quick in a straight line, hull rotation is acceptable
Ridiculous mantlet
Fantastic viewrange

Cons:
850hp (think of it as "I started out already shot once")
Turret rotation is slow

If you play it as a flanking medium and avoid brawls you'll do very well.

As far as it in comparison to the 25AT it's kind of an apples and oranges thing, but I've never played the 25AT. I will say that I have literally never seen a 25AT do anything noteworthy in a game and I have never ever been afraid of one so maybe I need to see someone competent in one? I basically think of them as exp pinatas when I see them.

Well I finished the T25/2 years ago, so all of that is kind of useless for me at this point, but if I re-bought the tank I'd certainly do even better with it now. I didn't mind playing it (although I did mind that one match where I was the only tier 7 on our team, top tier, matched against a Tiger H on the other side :suicide:) but it's not really good or memorable. I'd rather play the same-tier T20, with a slightly worse version of the same gun but much better mobility. Again, did you keep the T25/2 after the grind?

You should probably play the T25AT to see what it's all about. To be honest they're pretty rare (at least on NA), but the gist of it is that it is fast, small, good camo, good depression, and a nice gun, the 105. It's as solid as the JP, and they're both better than the T25/2 even though the latter is the only one with a turret. Again, I didn't mind the T25/2, but it's not a keeper and isn't really good compared to the tier 7 competition.

Baron Porkface posted:

When is it a good time to go premium? I'd assume youd need a baseline income for the bonus silver to be better than buying silver directly.

One day of premium is 250 gold, which is worth $1. Unless you literally have no income, you can afford to spend $1/day to play a game, particularly since it makes your time more valuable. It literally makes you 50% more profitable, and has no downside. You can even buy it in bulk and save on the gold/day. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I should need to say to convince you to use a premium account every time you play.

Going into a little more detail though, 250 gold is worth 100k credits. You could make 100k credits over 2-3 decent tier 8 premium tank games, or even one really solid game. If you were playing lower tiers, making 20k a game, premium account would give you an extra 10k per game, meaning you'd break even by playing 10 games in a day. So, if you only have time to play a few games, you could skip the premium account, but any time you play a long session just do it. This doesn't even touch on the extra XP, which helps the grind and makes your future games easier.

Hellsau posted:

I liked the T25AT. I hate the JPanther. This drat 105 on the JPanther spews way too many shots around and the shell velocity makes me want to vomit. Hopefully the velocity changes in 0.10.0 will make it work better.

I think I switched back & forth between the 88 & 105 on the JP. Both are totally viable at that tier, but it's been a while since I played it. For the AC 46, I actually used the 90 over the 100 because the latter had shittier handling.

Super 3 posted:

I actually enjoyed the T25/2 and still have it in my garage. The gun handling on it is fantastic and besides the turret rotation annoying me it's a solid T7, especially flanking and hull down. That being said I don't play it for fun as much as I do the T29.

My response to the first half of your post would've been "Why would you play the T25/2 [for fun] when you could play the T29?" That's really the point of this whole discussion: there's a chunk of tanks (i.e., the ones that I wrote up) that might be bad, OK, or just unremarkable, and pretty much everybody just goes through them and sells them afterward even though some may like them. They're not universally acclaimed as being great and keepers (e.g. the T29, E-50, AMX50 100, etc.)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nothing can replace the Comet or VK3002D for me.

This is my VK3002D. It was made for me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The T29 is dreadfully boring.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

sc0tty posted:

I used to it think you guys were being overly dramatic when you would talk about how awful this game is / how you need to be drunk to have fun / how awful teammates are / etc but it turns out you weren't joking and all of these things are actually true.

It's only now that I've started to get above a 50% WR and a 2k recent WN8 that I've started to see how truly awful it all is. I enjoyed this game much better when I was chugging along in my Churchill III not knowing poo poo.

The only thing keeping me going at the moment is my T-54. At least in this thing I don't need to give a poo poo about anything my dumb pubbie teammates do and just zoom around the map shooting HEAT through everything. Obj 140 is my last hope it seems.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That's basically accurate for average fun, but the lows get real low sometimes.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I guess I didn't mention [recently] that I skip stuff via free XP (either part or all of a grind) if I don't think it's going to be fun for me. I've skipped tanks like the Chi-Ri that I didn't think I'd enjoy at all, but I'm still playing some lovely tanks (e.g. T28) that I think I can do something with. I always have the option of free XPing out of something, like I did towards the end of the A-44, but opted not to bother trying the Chi-Ri.

Fair enough. The Chi-ri grind was pretty decent, way ahead of the loving a-44 and if you can stand the T28, it would have been nothing strange.
If you play to its gimmick, it was a decent grind.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Atomizer posted:

Well I finished the T25/2 years ago, so all of that is kind of useless for me at this point, but if I re-bought the tank I'd certainly do even better with it now. I didn't mind playing it (although I did mind that one match where I was the only tier 7 on our team, top tier, matched against a Tiger H on the other side :suicide:) but it's not really good or memorable. I'd rather play the same-tier T20, with a slightly worse version of the same gun but much better mobility. Again, did you keep the T25/2 after the grind?

Not only did I keep it, it's my go-to tank any time I'm platooning and they want to play tier 7s. To be honest the tank didn't really click for me until Hellsau threw out the "The 25/2 is the best tier 7 medium" line (which was before he found his precious VK3002D). Once I started playing it like that and not like a TD, it clicked for me.

I also have the T20 in my garage, which I rebought to fix my stats in (American mediums were my first line). The T25/2 is a far superior tank to the T20, the only appreciable thing the T20 brings to the table is more HP.

I'm probably going to need to rebuy the T29 so I can finish some of these T55 missions though, so maybe I'll like that more at tier 7 than the 25/2. I kinda doubt it because I like mediums more than heavies. My heavies are all tier 10 save the Conqueror and some of these kill XX 2 tiers higher or 1 tier higher or whatever bullshit missions get difficult to manage in the tier 10 "TDs around every corner" environment

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

My German is a bit rusty, but does that sentence even make sense?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ZombieLenin posted:

My German is a bit rusty, but does that sentence even make sense?

Don't think about it.

It is better that way.

Bully Report Update: T54 still kicks a crazy amount of rear end.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Hellsau posted:

Nothing can replace the Comet or VK3002D for me.

This is my VK3002D. It was made for me.

I need to re buy the Comet. I remember when I first got it and had a few lovely games and thinking 'this kinda meh'. Then RNG smiled upon me and I had a few amazing games and it all clicked.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Hey clan wars people, is the Safari event as hilariously unfun and terrible as the rules made it look? There was no actual prize so I'm sitting this one out - did I make the correct choice, or has Wargaming finally made a fun clan event?

Show up, fight SG/RDDT/SSGS for five minutes on Airfield and log off. Gonna get my second FCM!!

Most of our officers don't even show up for it, they're playing AW. RIP Ziddy and Allurai, they've gone to a better (equivalent) place.

Mesadoram posted:

Bully Report Update: T54 still kicks a crazy amount of rear end.

I keep my T-54 around exactly for that reason. The days of HEAT-54 are long past, unfortunately.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Green Dam posted:

RIP Ziddy and Allurai, they've gone to a better (equivalent) place.

Allurai is back, though. At least for the campaign.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

You ain't getting an Ace in the tier 5, 6, or 7 for a while anyway, so you might as well wait. The requirements are ludicrous for the actual good tanks in that line.

I read this right before I played my O-I (first game of the day). 5 kills and 2900 damage later, I had my Ace :smugdog:

The trick is to get a top tier match. I swear WG hosed up the weighting for the 5 and 6...the tier 5 seems to get top tier all the time, while the 6 is almost always tier 8s. This is like the 3rd match ever with it as top tier. It is a :killdozer:

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

WayAbvPar posted:

I read this right before I played my O-I (first game of the day). 5 kills and 2900 damage later, I had my Ace :smugdog:

The trick is to get a top tier match. I swear WG hosed up the weighting for the 5 and 6...the tier 5 seems to get top tier all the time, while the 6 is almost always tier 8s. This is like the 3rd match ever with it as top tier. It is a :killdozer:

i only got first class 5 kills 3200 damage 1764 XP... RIP.

Exia00 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 16, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

The requirements must have dropped by a lot if 5 kills and 2900 damage was enough for the ace. I guess that means it's time for more O-I funtimes instead of pref 5s.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

From a few pages back

Bleremiah posted:

Did anyone else really enjoy the Alecto? I remember running around with the howitzer, occasion getting a high enough firing arc to penetrate the top of tanks. Specifically KV-1S's back when they were tier 6.

The Alecto is the best tier 4 artillery, scout and tank destroyer rolled up into one tiny package. Well, the scout part is debatable, but with optics it's still got a good view range and very good camouflage and speed, and with the howitzer I've managed to counterbattery artillery using 3rd person view multiple times. I love mine and refuse to sell it.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
:siren: INSCRIPTIONS AND EMBLEMS ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING :siren:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/tank-customization-10-0/

it's here and it's total loving garbage. I don't *care* that in the end bittervets like us will have the established best setups down, it's more fiddly crap that makes us bitter.

:psyduck:

what is that

why

who did this

which game designer is this loving bored

why does this game need this

what happened to your loving overspend on esports aspirations

do you hate money

do your game design and market penetration/community departments hate each other

quickybaby has a goddam doctorate the sad spritely gently caress and now he is going to be talking about the relative merits of the bangladeshi and sri lankan flags while neglecting his girlfriend again

you KNOW the bulk of those requirements are things smart players will take one look at and know to be useless 99.9% of the time

jesus. SerB trolled me good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I think this is the tank gods telling me to stop playing the Hellcat right now and do something more productive today, because it's only downhill from here.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I carried.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hellsau posted:

The requirements must have dropped by a lot if 5 kills and 2900 damage was enough for the ace. I guess that means it's time for more O-I funtimes instead of pref 5s.

Well...

Wargamming posted:

To qualify for any of the 4 classes of the Mastery Badge, you need to earn more experience in a single battle than the average highest experience of certain percent of all players who have been playing the very same tank within the last seven days.

I'm not quite sure what the "average highest experience means," but based on the way it is explained here and in game, my intuition is that you need to be in the top 1 percentile of experience earners for a particular tank based on everyone who has played the tank in the last 7 days.

A lot depends on how they calculate this within a "7 day period"; however, any methodology they use is going to result in "rolling," or changing, experience criteria for awarding ace tanker badges.

So it is completely reasonable someone on Monday only got a first class badge with 3.5k XP, while someone on Friday gets an Ace badge for 3.2k XP.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Just spent a couple of hours finishing off the T-34-85, then just messed around IS-3, AMX 50 100 and AMX 30. I've reached that point where rather than playing certain tanks because I want to progress, I've actually reached the tanks I've been aiming for and they're a blast.

The AMX 50 100 is great for punishing tanks, but really needs at least one person nearby to help out. It's so long ago that I started this line that I can't remember the rest of the tanks other than the M4 45. Shoot gold in the 105 and it's playable.

The IS-3, unlike most tanks I play, actually has usable armour and I beat some blue WZ-111 gently caress in a 3-man blue platoon one on one just now. Then we won a match we probably shouldn't have. Blocking HEAT is fun. Can't comment much on the current line before the IS (which is the best). Old KV was great, old (tier 6) KV-1S was loving amazing and I still miss it. People still seem to love the KV-1, unsure about the KV-85?

Still working on the top gun for the AMX 30, but it keeps somehow blocking shots I'm 100% sure it shouldn't. Probably because I'm used to the CDC's paper armour. Looks like the mantlet is pretty strong, probably that. Good fun, shame about the traverse. The AMX-12t is pretty great, not as good as when it was a tier lower and had fuckall in the way of competition, but still. Only played the ELC a couple of times since it appeared in my garage, also good fun. AMX 13 75 is not a good tank in a line with quite a few good/fun tanks. Lack of gun handling on the AMX-1390 is probably necessary otherwise it'd be a bit silly.

When I actually need to earn credits I've got:

The CDC, put in the game for T49 and artillery players.
The KV-220 T, actually more for powertripping. Can't bring on that frontal armour buff fast enough.
The Jgtiger 8.8 for really churning out those credits, and a constant reminder that as soon as you dare move into the enemy's half of the map playing a slower tank, your team will self implode and the enemy will capture your base before you can get back. Only playing when necessary. Can be great hull down.

Just hit 52.5% winrate, may actually be enjoying this game. Should probably quit before I hit that green trough in the chart posted earlier.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

stephenfry posted:

it's here and it's total loving garbage. I don't *care* that in the end bittervets like us will have the established best setups down, it's more fiddly crap that makes us bitter.

what is that

why

who did this

do you hate money

do your game design and market penetration/community departments hate each other

quickybaby has a goddam doctorate the sad spritely gently caress and now he is going to be talking about the relative merits of the bangladeshi and sri lankan flags while neglecting his girlfriend again

you KNOW the bulk of those requirements are things smart players will take one look at and know to be useless 99.9% of the time

I get the emblems and inscriptions but what is all the other word salads for the temporary bonuses?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
So what if I don't want to put random loving scripts or doodles on my tank? Am I just going to have to (slightly) handicap myself? gently caress that. I might change my nation flags sometimes, but that's it. This sucks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

stephenfry posted:

what is that

why

who did this

do you hate money

welp this is bullshit

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

drat I was really hoping that emblem stuff would get tossed out due to the outcry, but apparently they're doubling down on making more irritating micromanaging bullshit by making several emblems/inscriptions have separate effects so you have to change which ones you want to use for a given purpose.

This is their worst idea in...more than a year? I can't remember the last feature they added because they haven't added any features in a year booyah!!! that was this poorly thought out since individual missions, or maybe historical battles

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i dont know about you but when i got into WoT my dream was to micro-manage emblems. THIS is exactly what I look for in a tank game.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Luckily enough our swedish insideman ensured that kitting out your tanks with the SomethingAwful-MemorialGrenade is the optimal option, as such you'll neither have to worry about tank aesthetics nor about spreadsheets.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

RanKizama posted:

So what if I don't want to put random loving scripts or doodles on my tank? Am I just going to have to (slightly) handicap myself? gently caress that. I might change my nation flags sometimes, but that's it. This sucks.

Yeah, I don't want to stick ugly poo poo all over my tanks. Much less pay money for it. If I wanted to do that I would have done it already. At the least there should be an option to get the effect without the visuals. And what about tanks like the Rudy and ISU-122S, can they even take emblems?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
For some reason I instinctively read this post in my head in Billy Connolly's voice, and it nearly made me choke on my coffee laughing.

As for me, I still think that system sounds kinda nifty and goons being all aghast over it amuses me greatly. Bless you guys. <3

Also I'm pretty sure the effects will be marginal enough that the only thing "forcing" you guys to micromanage that poo poo will be your own autism.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Such bullshit, the American flag should make any tank it's on invincible and 1 shot kill all other tanks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Israeli flag should also turn all other tanks into Palestinian children.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The Soviet flag should allow me to mass murder countless Slavs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Agrajag posted:

The Soviet flag should allow me to mass murder countless Slavs

All German tanks immediately explode when they spot you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

All German tanks immediately explode when they spot you.

Given how slow most people are to repair their racks (if they even carry repair kits) German tanks, especially Tigers, frequently explode once they're spotted.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What do BR flags get you? All my tanks either have the BR flag on them or if they are Russian the Ukrainian flag.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BadLlama posted:

What do BR flags get you? All my tanks either have the BR flag on them or if they are Russian the Ukrainian flag.

Probably get to hear the crew hum "Rule, Britani! Britania rules the wave!" as the wreckage of your tank burns.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MariusLecter posted:

Probably get to hear the crew hum "Rule, Britani! Britania rules the wave!" as the wreckage of your tank burns.
Ah, yes, the famous Brazilian Anglophilia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nordick posted:

Ah, yes, the famous Brazilian Anglophilia

Oh, lol. I thought BR was short for British.