Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I'm really starting to like this painting. Dammit, I'll have to go to the Prado again.

I like the guy in the chair who is all "Look at this poo poo. Just loving look at it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

It's not very fast though -

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/pigeon-powered-internet-takes-flight/

Note that it's IP, btw, not specifcally TCP/IP; it can handle ICMP and UDP just fine :science:
For reasons of utter pedantry TCP/IP is functionally equivalent to plain ol' IP, but not necessarily actually using TCP. Because gently caress you and everyone else who ever wants to learn networking of any kind :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

I like the guy in the chair who is all "Look at this poo poo. Just loving look at it!"

art of the period is full of dudes gesturing at poo poo

edit: AND you can see englishmen running like gently caress in the background

edit 2: hapsburg pink and red silk banners on display; bunting on ships was only used for war, so imagine a galley going into combat and unfurling its bunting. everything at this time is deliberately engineered to look as cool as possible

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 16, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

feedmegin posted:

It's not very fast though -

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/pigeon-powered-internet-takes-flight/

Note that it's IP, btw, not specifcally TCP/IP; it can handle ICMP and UDP just fine :science:

You could speed it up pretty considerably by switching to 200GB microsd cards rather than paper. The problem is then measuring the carrying capacity of an otherwise unladen carrier Pidgeon.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

You could speed it up pretty considerably by switching to 200GB microsd cards rather than paper. The problem is then measuring the carrying capacity of an otherwise unladen carrier Pidgeon.

Also packet loss from falcons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

xthetenth posted:

I wonder if you could attach the data storage to a helium balloon big enough to achieve neutral buoyancy, then tie the balloon to the pigeon so that the pigeon wouldn't be so much carrying but towing the thing. :ducksiren:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Literally cloud storage

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ArchangeI posted:

Also packet loss from falcons.

"I sent you the report over email, but a cat ate it!"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tomn posted:

Is...is that describing carrier pigeon?

Haha. Yes. It is an IT nerd joke: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh hey the thread has 700 pages already?

Also, know what'd be interesting? if some goon is willing to cover the history of ROCKET ARTILLERY.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

if that happened to anyone, it would have happened to the saxons at breitenfeld.

breitenfeld went like this:
0. someone from the swedish side literally rides out and hands tilly a note from gustavus adolphus and It's On
1. cannons fire for about two hours
2. pappenheim gets tired of this and charges baner's cav. he's on the imperialist left. tilly is heard to say "You will deprive us of the victory and the Emperor of his lands and people," so he's mad
3. the cav on the imperialist right, seeing this happen, thinks everything is starting, so they advance as well. they attack the saxons on the swedish left.
4. the saxons waver and the imperialist infantry presses the attack. these saxons are brand new and they had just been cannonnaded for two hours straight. they are also in very "bookish," small formations--the sort of thing protestant military theorists have been thinking about since maurice of nassau. these are less strong than tilly's spanish escuadrons. whatever the cause, they crumble.
5. the swedes attack the imperialist infantry while they're dealing with the saxons. not only are these formations vulnerable to getting attacked from two directions at once, lots of the imperialists had to walk past the swedes to get to the saxons. most of the imperialists fold, but four escuadrons do not surrender. at some point during this fight, tilly and aldringen are both wounded severely, but both will live.
6. that night, the imperialists retreat in disorder and everyone deserts. gg.

were there any saxons that tried to get quarter from any imperialists and also service, only to be surprised later when the swedes saved the day? i'm not aware of any. looking through monro's autobiography I don't find any, but he was with the Swedes so he might not have seen it happen. if i find any i will let you know, tho

look how monro describes the battle, he spends most of the time barely knowing what the gently caress:

This is interesting. Englund's book makes it sound as if the Saxons practically ran away before the battle really started and the Swedes had to fight the rest alone. Nice to see they apparently at least fought before they crumbled like wet tissue paper. He also claims the Swedes barely had any losses and the Imperialists practically took it up the rear end. (To be fair, I can't even remember if he mentions the four imperial units who didn't break, so I may be off. I can't find the book right now, it seems to be have disappeared after I put it between some books about Soviet robots and spacecraft some time ago.)

Pellisworth posted:

German science is well-funded and highly reputable, make no mistake. It has a reputation for preserving disciplines otherwise thought insignificant (lol virology that's stupid HELLO HIV/AIDS) but in terms of methodology and instrumentation it's almost always needlessly complex for American research thinking.

Well, there's a reason the first programmable computer was made by Germans. Also I've heard people coming back from working in America often say how sloppy American research is. :v:

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't think that catapults shot exploding/burning things on battlefields. And they were rarely used on battlefields at all.

There were ongoing excavations at the Red Sea in Jordan before the entire Middle East blew up. They found a trading city with lots of weird spherical clay pots all over the ruins, in the weirdest places. Even a lot of them outside the walls. After a lot of research, it was concluded the Babylonians sieging the city 5000 years ago used catapults to shoot those clay-spheres into the city. You could speculate, since a lot of them were hollow or broken shells, that the Babylonians maybe used them like firebombs.

Then again, it was a siege and not a battlefield and it was 5000 years ago, so a lot of questions a modern historian would have, can only be answered with a "We don't know".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

This is interesting. Englund's book makes it sound as if the Saxons practically ran away before the battle really started and the Swedes had to fight the rest alone.
is his source monro or some other swede? if so that's the reason

the poor things though, i cannot stress how new they were. and it was less "fighting" and more "getting cannoned a bunch"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Libluini posted:

There were ongoing excavations at the Red Sea in Jordan before the entire Middle East blew up. They found a trading city with lots of weird spherical clay pots all over the ruins, in the weirdest places. Even a lot of them outside the walls. After a lot of research, it was concluded the Babylonians sieging the city 5000 years ago used catapults to shoot those clay-spheres into the city. You could speculate, since a lot of them were hollow or broken shells, that the Babylonians maybe used them like firebombs.

Then again, it was a siege and not a battlefield and it was 5000 years ago, so a lot of questions a modern historian would have, can only be answered with a "We don't know".

Maybe they were throwing sassy messages over the walls in an attempt to shame the defenders :v:

YO MOMMA SO FAT SHE WAS THE BOAT IN THE ENUMA ELISH

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I wanna believe your adventures in wikipedia pissed off some Russian sperg who reported you. Possibly saying 'German big cat tanks are bad' shatters dreams and are thus detrimental to children?

I don't edit Wikipedia, but I do sometimes get hits from it, so I guess someone does.

Arquinsiel posted:

Given that you're not in Russia, as you said... what the gently caress did they expect you to say to that except :byewhore:?

The blog was blocked in Russia, I guess they didn't care further than that.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Libluini posted:

Yeah, on sieges all kinds of machines and ammunition were used, but on battlefields they were rare. Romans and Alexander the Great used some of the smaller machines in small numbers on battlefields.

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe they were throwing sassy messages over the walls in an attempt to shame the defenders :v:

YO MOMMA SO FAT SHE WAS THE BOAT IN THE ENUMA ELISH

They did this with sling bullets, from Wikipedia:

Very often, symbols or writings were moulded into lead sling-bullets. Many examples have been found including a collection of about 80 sling-bullets from the siege of Perusia in Etruria from 41 BC, to be found in the museum of modern Perugia. Examples of symbols include a stylised lightning bolt, a snake, and a scorpion - reminders of how a sling might strike without warning. Writing might include the name of the owning military unit or commander or might be more imaginative: "Take this," "Ouch," and even "For Pompey's backside" added insult to injury, whereas dexai ("take this" or "catch!")[7] is merely sarcastic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found a book in the library called Blood on the Snow: The Carpathian Winter War of 1915 by Graydon Tunstall, about the Austro-Russian front in the mountains during WW1. Anyone know if it's worth a read? I've never read anything about that theater of the war.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747012

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

You are German? Did you apply for citizenship when we weren't looking?

Man, rowdy trouts are as stupid as I would have imagined. I am disappointed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The soviets won world war ii and defeated fascism OP

This thread gets it.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Don't you know that having even a passing interest in German military history makes you German and a Nazi?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Knock it off w this helldump poo poo

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

You are German? Did you apply for citizenship when we weren't looking?

Man, rowdy trouts are as stupid as I would have imagined. I am disappointed.

I guess they classify America as an unsafe country of origin because of all the shootings, so she's a refugee like all the others

She's also in Saxony so it all checks out

Molentik posted:

Don't you know that having even a passing interest in German military history makes you German and a Nazi?

I was actually German before I became interested in German military history. I also learned recently that my Great-Grandpa thought the Nazis did a lot of good for the country, so take that as you will.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ArchangeI posted:

I was actually German before I became interested in German military history. I also learned recently that my Great-Grandpa thought the Nazis did a lot of good for the country, so take that as you will.

They managed to get rid of all that antiquated industrial machinery and those cramped medieval cities so that General Marshall could build brand new ones.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That actually raises a question for me: How/why did you get into 30yw reenacting? Is it a common thing for grad students studying the 30yw to do? I can't imagine there are enough grad students to make up a significant portion of your, uhhh, squad or whatever. Running crew?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LordSaturn posted:

That actually raises a question for me: How/why did you get into 30yw reenacting? Is it a common thing for grad students studying the 30yw to do? I can't imagine there are enough grad students to make up a significant portion of your, uhhh, squad or whatever. Running crew?

she is a huge nerd

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LordSaturn posted:

Regiment. Brigade if you want to get technical, since we're Swedish. Most of the people who reenact with me are hobbyists, with the majority of that being working class--my best friend drives a forklift, a woman I know drives a truck, etc. They're just people who are interested in history. I'm one of the few people I know who also does this "officially," I guess, although I do know a woman who's a professional hand seamstress. It's not a common thing for history grad students to do, although plenty of archaeology grad students head out into the woods with stone axes and so forth to see what it actually feels like to work wood with those things. And the people building trebuchets are usually grad students in some trebuchet-related discipline.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

she is a huge nerd
the hugest

hey woodrow, it's been a while

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Found a book in the library called Blood on the Snow: The Carpathian Winter War of 1915 by Graydon Tunstall, about the Austro-Russian front in the mountains during WW1. Anyone know if it's worth a read? I've never read anything about that theater of the war.

If I'd discovered it 12 months ago instead of 6 months ago I would have spent the entire 1914-1915 winter stealing liberally from it; as it is, that theft will have to wait until I start kicking 1915 into shape for the next book releases. It's both very good and absolutely horrible.

From the recollections of Colonel Georg Veith:

quote:

On 23 January we rushed forward into the icy hell. We stormed the Uzsok, Verecke and Wyszkov Passes, but on the northern slope of the mountains we encountered a blizzard. The reports from these days are shocking. Every day, hundreds froze to death. The wounded that were unable to drag themselves forward were left behind to die.
Each night, the regiment dug in until the last man was found frozen to death at daybreak. Pack animals could not advance through the deep snow. The men had to carry their own supplies on foot. The soldiers went without food for days. At -25 Celsius, food rations froze solid. For seven days, the Division battled overpowering Russian troops with no warm food to sustain them.

It continues at some length on this theme. The narrative itself is slightly dry and full of "The escalating threat to Third Army's right flank lines delayed the decision of whether their units could transfer to bolster the Second Army...", but that's exactly the kind of official history-level stuff you need in a book that's the first major English-language work on the theatre.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 16, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

hey woodrow, it's been a while

hey bb

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trin Tragula posted:

If I'd discovered it 12 months ago instead of 6 months ago I would have spent the entire 1914-1915 winter stealing liberally from it; as it is, that theft will have to wait until I start kicking 1915 into shape for the next book releases. It's both very good and absolutely horrible.

From the recollections of Colonel Georg Veith:

It continues at some length on this theme. The narrative itself is slightly dry and full of "The escalating threat to Third Army's right flank lines delayed the decision of whether their units could transfer to bolster the Second Army...", but that's exactly the kind of official history-level stuff you need in a book that's the first major English-language work on the theatre.

Sounds great, thanks! I'm reading the introduction now and Jesus Christ is the entire Carpathian front sounding like one of the most godawful military theaters in the history of war.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Endman posted:

The best way to ride an APC is on top and then jump off when the shooting starts.

Not in an NBC environment it isn't!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Molentik posted:

It's largely an honesty thing. "Passing Interest" doesn't mean deifying Ferdinand Porsche or Wallenstein, it means being interested in learning their flaws, too, and at times making stupid jokes about bad armor design, surprise onboard pyrotechnics, ridiculous letter-writing, or comically mismanaged industrial output. It means you've got to take the record as it happened and not exclude aspects of a design or plan or strategy for convenience. There's a lot of colorful poo poo going on in German/Prussian military history, but the reason people talk poo poo about wehraboos is because they ignore how German factories could only make like 2 tanks a day in the best of conditions at insane cost.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Libluini posted:

Well, there's a reason the first programmable computer was made by Germans.

The first programmable modern computer is agreed to be the the Colossus codebreaker, made by the British in December 1943. What are you referring to? The Z1? It's not versatile enough to be called a computer as we understand them today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blood on the Snow posted:

Readers of this investigation will note the frequent depiction of Habsburg troops as utterly exhausted and increasingly apathetic. At the risk of sounding repetitive, the mental and physical condition of Habsburg troops is critical to understanding the Carpathian Winter War. The exhaustion experienced in combat under winter conditions is incomprehensible to those who have not suffered under such circumstances. Reading the daily log-books of Habsburg units participating in the Carpathian Winter War, one would be hard-pressed to find an entry that did not include the words ganz eschopft ("utterly exhausted"). The men's physical and mental exhaustion was exacerbated by hunger. Food supplies often did not reach the front, and those that did were often frozen solid. The men began to hallucinate about food, driving them to near insanity. In the winter of 1915, not only did Habsburg Supreme Command decide to deploy massive armies into a region unfit for a major combat operation, but also, it did so with no provision for the most basic of necessities - food, clothing, and shelter.

The worst conditions were experienced during winter months. Weary soldiers spent the long winter nights struggling to stay awake to avoid frostbite or freezing to death. Emotional fatigue set in, compounded by the impact of the elements and the lack of food and sleep. Compasses malfunctioned, leading units, some as large as regiments, to march blindly in circles in dense woods during blizzards. Water jackets froze, leading machine guns to misfire or fail to fire. The troops often had to resort to warming their rifles over fires so the weapons functioned properly.

The Carpathian Winter War provided significant for many reasons. It would be the final campaign for the once revered k.u.k. army. In the chaos of the opening battles, the Habsburg army sacrificed 40 percent (420,000 men) of its mobilized combat troops (100,000 dead, 220,000 wounded, 100,000 prisoners of war). Only 404,000 professional officers, noncommissioned officers, and soldiers of the million-man army fought in the initial August-September campaigns. Thus, well over half of the Habsburg army was now made up of reservists or Landsturm troops (comparable to the U.S. pre-Iraq War national guard). Tons of war materiel, weaponry, food, 216 artillery pieces, and 15,000 railroad rolling stock and hundreds of kilometers of railroad tracks and locomotives were also forfeited in the battle and subsequent retreat. Furthermore, in sacrificing Galicia, grain warehouses and important manpower were also lost. How could these be replaced?

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's almost like winters in Eurasia are harsh as hell and have crucially contributed to the defeat of many an army over the past 1000 years and change.

But on the other hand there's land to be grabbed and enemy to be vanquished!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And this is why my great-great-grandfather surrendered to the Russians the first chance he got. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
How to make an already infamously brutal and miserable war worse: set it in the high mountains, during the winter, and make one of the combatants Austria-Hungary. Making the other side Russia is optional but recommended.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Cythereal posted:

How to make an already infamously brutal and miserable war worse: set it in the high mountains, during the winter, and make one of the combatants Austria-Hungary. Making the other side Russia is optional but recommended.

You may wish to reconsider this assessment by the time we get to the Eighth Battle of the Isonzo.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Keldoclock posted:

The first programmable modern computer is agreed to be the the Colossus codebreaker, made by the British in December 1943. What are you referring to? The Z1? It's not versatile enough to be called a computer as we understand them today.

The Z3. Konrad Zuse did develop his ideas, you know

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Are India and China still stationing poor bastards up in the Himalayas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trin Tragula posted:

You may wish to reconsider this assessment by the time we get to the Eighth Battle of the Isonzo.

I never said that was the only way to make WW1 even worse. :v: I've read bits and pieces about the clusterfuck known as Italy's involvement in the war. This is my first time reading about the Carpathian front.

• Locked thread