Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Another KS just launched that my friends are excited about. Sword & Sorcery. Its some DM-less, mini's, dungeon crawl game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sword-and-sorcery-epic-fantasy-co-op-board-and-min/description
There is a first 24hours limited early bird price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of bummed that he's going to put the expansion direct-to-retail. It's great for most people, but for me KS is convenient and because I'm in the ME the shipping is about the same anyway (if retail will even send me the stuff).

But of course I wouldn't expect him to change things especially for an edge case like me. I have options, they're just less convenient.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It sounds like Jamey works with the same distributors on his direct to market products as he does with Kickstarter. He'll probably throw up a pre-order page for expansions like he did with the Viticulture Essentials edition, and in his post about that process he talks about distributing product to his various global distributors, the same way he does with Kickstarter.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm kinda curious how much of the expansion they already have planned, since it would theoretically mean they can plan ahead and fit it all in one box, unlike Viticulture/Tuscany.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Another KS just launched that my friends are excited about. Sword & Sorcery. Its some DM-less, mini's, dungeon crawl game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sword-and-sorcery-epic-fantasy-co-op-board-and-min/description

Huh, this looks like the kind of game I was asking about yesterday in the chat thread (a lighter Descent-style crawler that can be played solo), but $100? That's probably out of my price range.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

It sounds like Jamey works with the same distributors on his direct to market products as he does with Kickstarter. He'll probably throw up a pre-order page for expansions like he did with the Viticulture Essentials edition, and in his post about that process he talks about distributing product to his various global distributors, the same way he does with Kickstarter.

Oh, if I can buy directly from Jamey's store that'll be excellent!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kinda curious how much of the expansion they already have planned, since it would theoretically mean they can plan ahead and fit it all in one box, unlike Viticulture/Tuscany.

Some quotes, although it doesn't really address the same box thing.
"We're planning 2 expansion factions (Celtic and Japanese inspired), but the max player count will remain at 5."
"They're just conceptual at this point. We don't like to release expansions at the same time as the base game, as it kind of takes away the thrill of adding new stuff to the game after you've already played it for a while."
"The expansion factions are still in flux, so we're open to ideas for them. Though the purple faction is intended to be Japanese-inspired."
"It's possible in the future that we'll have more than one faction per color (you could only use one at a time)."
Mostly from August, so relatively recent. I kinda doubt it'll be a one box thing :P

E:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, this looks like the kind of game I was asking about yesterday in the chat thread (a lighter Descent-style crawler that can be played solo), but $100? That's probably out of my price range.

It is based off Galaxy Defenders' system (same company, they just refined their idea apparently), maybe ask in the thread if anyone has played that one?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Seems pretty generic. Plus tits, so I'm sure it'll do well, especially if there's a stretch goal or two adding more boob girls.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Pretty sure I saw somewhere in the comments that the existing box is going to be full to the brim leaving no room for an expansion in the box, and that moving to a bigger box would make everything drastically more expensive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Jus got the notification that my copy of Blood Rage was delivered. Looking forward to cracking that open when I get home.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My Dracula Dossier / Dracula Unredacted came. The books are gorgeous, and I love the idea of Dracula Unredacted as a book.

Honestly, if that stupid Pride and Prejudice and Zombies can become a movie, Dracula Unredacted absolutely deserves to be made.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

Seems pretty generic. Plus tits, so I'm sure it'll do well, especially if there's a stretch goal or two adding more boob girls.

They will add one boob to each girl per $100k raised by the campaign.

V20: Lore of the Clans just released the final PDF, haven't had the chance to read it but that's some solid progress.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

ChiTownEddie posted:

It is based off Galaxy Defenders' system (same company, they just refined their idea apparently), maybe ask in the thread if anyone has played that one?

I haven't played the Galaxy Defenders expansion stuff yet, but the base game was really great with only some minor stuff that kinda sucked (character could die so player removal. I house ruled it out). It seems with this one they already addressed some issues (no player elimination) and it seems like it's a similar system to GD but with some pretty cool changes.

I backed myself because I feel like the company gives you your money's worth.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Andarel posted:

They will add one boob to each girl per $100k raised by the campaign.

I would take out a loan to support that

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tulul posted:

Call of Cthulhu quote
This quote seems to be more focused on the fact that the prisoners in question are mentally disturbed and cultists - yes, he mentions race, but just in the context of "it wasn't just a bunch of asians/blacks/whites." The term "mixed-blooded" is not necessarily racism, it just implies a mixed heritage - had he said "half-breeds" then yeah, I'd be on board with you. Mulatto is also not racism, as it was accepted at the time (and still is for some parts of Africa) but has since been replaced by "biracial."

Tulul posted:

Dunwich Horror quote
He's referring to a group of backwoods hillbillies involved in murder and incest - I don't see any racism here.

Tulul posted:

Shadow Over Innsmouth quote
You do realize he's talking about fish people, right?

Tulul posted:

The Street quote
Ok, this one I'll partially give to you. It's related to the Anarchist bombings around the time the story was written. The use of the term "swart," which is another way of saying "swarthy" which probably refers to the fact that the Anarchists were Italians, is on the level of saying "dark skinned people took down the Twin Towers on 9-11." On the other hand, had he said "Italian Anarchists" in the story, I'm sure the Internet would be flipping out about that too, even though it was really a thing. The "Anglo-Saxon freedom," admittedly, is pretty bad sounding, close to the "thousand year Reich" level.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family posted:

The boxed object was delivered at Jermyn House on the afternoon of August 3, 1913, being conveyed immediately to the large chamber which housed the collection of African specimens as arranged by Sir Robert and Arthur. What ensued can best be gathered from the tales of servants and from things and papers later examined. Of the various tales, that of aged Soames, the family butler, is most ample and coherent. According to this trustworthy man, Sir Arthur Jermyn dismissed everyone from the room before opening the box, though the instant sound of hammer and chisel showed that he did not delay the operation. Nothing was heard for some time; just how long Soames cannot exactly estimate, but it was certainly less than a quarter of an hour later that the horrible scream, undoubtedly in Jermyn’s voice, was heard. Immediately afterward Jermyn emerged from the room, rushing frantically toward the front of the house as if pursued by some hideous enemy. The expression on his face, a face ghastly enough in repose, was beyond description. When near the front door he seemed to think of something, and turned back in his flight, finally disappearing down the stairs to the cellar. The servants were utterly dumbfounded, and watched at the head of the stairs, but their master did not return. A smell of oil was all that came up from the regions below. After dark a rattling was heard at the door leading from the cellar into the courtyard; and a stable-boy saw Arthur Jermyn, glistening from head to foot with oil and redolent of that fluid, steal furtively out and vanish on the black moor surrounding the house. Then, in an exaltation of supreme horror, everyone saw the end. A spark appeared on the moor, a flame arose, and a pillar of human fire reached to the heavens. The house of Jermyn no longer existed.

The reason why Arthur Jermyn’s charred fragments were not collected and buried lies in what was found afterward, principally the thing in the box. The stuffed goddess was a nauseous sight, withered and eaten away, but it was clearly a mummified white ape of some unknown species, less hairy than any recorded variety, and infinitely nearer mankind—quite shockingly so. Detailed description would be rather unpleasant, but two salient particulars must be told, for they fit in revoltingly with certain notes of Sir Wade Jermyn’s African expeditions and with the Congolese legends of the white god and the ape-princess. The two particulars in question are these: the arms on the golden locket about the creature’s neck were the Jermyn arms, and the jocose suggestion of M. Verhaeren about certain resemblance as connected with the shrivelled face applied with vivid, ghastly, and unnatural horror to none other than the sensitive Arthur Jermyn, great-great-great-grandson of Sir Wade Jermyn and an unknown wife. Members of the Royal Anthropological Institute burned the thing and threw the locket into a well, and some of them do not admit that Arthur Jermyn ever existed.

The Transition of Juan Romero posted:

It was not long after my arrival and employment that Juan Romero came to the Norton Mine. One of the large herd of unkempt Mexicans attracted thither from the neighbouring country, he at first attracted attention only because of his features; which though plainly of the Red Indian type, were yet remarkable for their light colour and refined conformation, being vastly unlike those of the average "greaser" or Piute of the locality. It is curious that although he differed so widely from the mass of Hispanicised and tribal Indians, Romero gave not the least impression of Caucasian blood. It was not the Castilian conquistador or the American pioneer, but the ancient and noble Aztec, whom imagination called to view when the silent peon would rise in the early morning and gaze in fascination at the sun as it crept above the eastern hills, meanwhile stretching out his arms to the orb as if in the performance of some rite whose nature he did not himself comprehend. But save for his face, Romero was not in any way suggestive of nobility. Ignorant and dirty, he was at home amongst the other brown-skinned Mexicans; having come (so I was afterward told) from the very lowest sort of surroundings. He had been found as a child in a crude mountain hut, the only survivor of an epidemic which had stalked lethally by. Near the hut, close to a rather unusual rock fissure, had lain two skeletons, newly picked by vultures, and presumably forming the sole remains of his parents. No one recalled their identity, and they were soon forgotten by the many. Indeed, the crumbling of the adobe hut and the closing of the rock-fissure by a subsequent avalanche had helped to efface even the scene from recollection. Reared by a Mexican cattle-thief who had given him his name, Juan differed little from his fellows.

An American to Mother England posted:

England! My England! can the surging sea
That lies between us tear my heart from thee?
Can distant birth and distant dwelling drain
Th’ ancestral blood that warms the loyal vein?
Isle of my Fathers! hear the filial song
Of him whose sources but to thee belong!
World-Conquering Mother! by thy mighty hand
Was carv’d from savage wilds my native land:
Thy matchless sons the firm foundation laid;
Thy matchless arts the nascent nation made:
By thy just laws the young republic grew,
And through thy greatness, kindred greatness knew.
What man that springs from thy untainted line
But sees Columbia’s virtues all as thine?
Whilst nameless multitudes upon our shore
From the dim corners of creation pour,
Whilst mongrel slaves crawl hither to partake
Of Saxon liberty they could not make,
From such an alien crew in grief I turn,
And for the mother’s voice of Britain burn.
England! can aught remove the cherish’d chain
That binds my spirit to thy blest domain?
Can Revolution’s bitter precepts sway
The soul that must the ties of race obey?
Create a new Columbia if ye will,
The flesh that forms me is Britannic still!...

Lines on Gen. Robert Edward Lee posted:

Whilst martial echoes o’er the wave resound,
And Europe’s gore incarnadines the ground;
Today no foreign hero we bemoan,
But count the glowing virtues of our own!
illustrious LEE! around whose honour’d name
Entwines a patriot’s and a Christian’s fame;
With whose just praise admiring nations ring,
And whom repenting foes contritely sing!
When first our land fraternal fury bore,
And Sumter’s guns alarm’d the anxious shore;
When Faction’s reign ancestral rights o’erthrew,
And sunder’d States a mutual hatred knew;
Then clash’d contending chiefs of kindred line,
In flesh to suffer and in fame to shine.
But o’er them all, majestic in his might,
Rose LEE, unrivall’d, to sublimest height:
With torturing choice defy’d opposing Fate,
And shunn’d Temptation for his native State!
Thus Washington his monarch’s rule o’erturned
When young Columbia with rebellion burn’d.
And what in Washington the world reveres,
In LEE with equal magnitude appears.
Our nation’s Father, crown’d with vict’ry bays,
Enjoys a loving land’s eternal praise:
Let, then, our hearts with equal rev’rence greet
His proud successor, rising o’er defeat!
Around his greatness pour disheart’ning woes,
But still he tow’rs above his conquering foes.
Silence! ye jackal herd that vainly blame
Th’ unspotted leader by a traitor’s name.
If such was LEE, let blushing Justice mourn,
And trait’rous Liberty endure our scorn!
As Philopoemen once sublimely strove,
And earn’d declining Hellas’ thankful love;
So followed LEE the purest patriot’s part,
And wak’d the worship of the grateful heart:
The South her soul in body’d form discerns;
The North from LEE a nobler freedom learns!
Attend! ye sons of Albion’s ancient race,
Whate’er your country, and whate’er your place;
LEE’S valiant deeds, though dear to Southern song,
To all our Saxon strain as well belong,
Courage like his the parent Island won,
And led an Empire past the setting sun;
To realms unknown our laws and language bore,
Rais’d England’s banner on the desert shore;
Crush’d the proud rival, and subdued the sea
For ages past, and aeons yet to be!
From Scotia’s hilly bounds the paean rolls,
And Afric’s distant Cape great LEE extols;
The sainted soul and manly mien combine
To grace Britannia’s and Virginia's line
As dullards now in thoughtless fervour prate
Of shameful peace, and sing th’ unmanly State;
As churls their piping reprobations shriek,
And drat the heroes that protect the weak;
Let LEE’S brave shade the timid throng accost,
And give them back the manhood they have lost!
What kindlier spirit, breathing from on high,
Can teach us how to live and how to die?

On the Creation of Niggers posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

Serf
May 5, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

You do realize he's talking about fish people, right?

The fish people are not just fish people. While, as demonstrated by the quotes Tulul provided, Lovecraft wasn't shy about being racist as gently caress, he still used his fictional creations as stand-ins for the kinds of people that scared him. The Deep Ones represent immigrants, obviously those of non-white origin. Obed Marsh is "corrupted" by fraternizing with Polynesian natives, and the hybrids are the the results of miscegenation (which Lovecraft was terrified of) between the white inhabitants of Innsmouth and the Deep Ones. I hesitate to even call it subtext. Racism is pretty blatant in Lovecraft's work.

I'm surprised no one pointed to "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family" which in addition to having the most boring title possible also concludes with a white man burning himself alive because he can't deal with the fact that his great-grandmother was a "white ape" from Africa.

E: holy poo poo loving beaten. Also, lol owned

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Also the name of his cat

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

S.J. posted:

Also the name of his cat

The Rats in the Walls posted:

As I have said, I moved in on 16 July 1923. My household consisted of seven servants and nine cats, of which latter species I am particularly fond. My eldest cat, "friend of the family-Man", was seven years old and had come with me from my home in Bolton, Massachusetts; the others I had accumulated whilst living with Capt. Norrys' family during the restoration of the priory.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

S.J. posted:

Also the name of his cat

Oh, I'm totally on board with that one.

Serf posted:

The fish people are not just fish people. While, as demonstrated by the quotes Tulul provided, Lovecraft wasn't shy about being racist as gently caress, he still used his fictional creations as stand-ins for the kinds of people that scared him. The Deep Ones represent immigrants, obviously those of non-white origin. Obed Marsh is "corrupted" by fraternizing with Polynesian natives, and the hybrids are the the results of miscegenation (which Lovecraft was terrified of) between the white inhabitants of Innsmouth and the Deep Ones. I hesitate to even call it subtext. Racism is pretty blatant in Lovecraft's work.

I'm surprised no one pointed to "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family" which in addition to having the most boring title possible also concludes with a white man burning himself alive because he can't deal with the fact that his great-grandmother was a "white ape" from Africa.

E: holy poo poo loving beaten. Also, lol owned
Yeah, but those natives were also worshiping and interbreeding with Deep Ones, hence the corruption angle. And the "white ape" is clearly some sort of missing link ape-man hybrid creature - it has nothing to do with race at all!

I agree that there is some stuff there, and I'm not condoning it at all, but I think people really go cherrypicking for things in his stories just to prove their racism angle correct. I know that Lovecraft's personal writings were pretty terrible, but I think that a lot of the Mythos stuff is misconstrued as racism, when, in fact, he's talking about corruption at a core level.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but those natives were also worshiping and interbreeding with Deep Ones, hence the corruption angle. And the "white ape" is clearly some sort of missing link ape-man hybrid creature - it has nothing to do with race at all!

I agree that there is some stuff there, and I'm not condoning it at all, but I think people really go cherrypicking for things in his stories just to prove their racism angle correct. I know that Lovecraft's personal writings were pretty terrible, but I think that a lot of the Mythos stuff is misconstrued as racism, when, in fact, he's talking about corruption at a core level.

There are a lot of people out there who will interpret any fantasy as allegorical.

Lovecraft has many letters, it's probably a known fact whether he meant those stories are allegories or as purely fantastical tales. I don't know.

Either way, the guy is disturbingly racist, and like Serf is saying, that creeps into his stories in a very noticeable way even if the creatures aren't meant to have a one-on-one relation to real-life people.

I just wish RPG designers would let go of the Mythos already. It's been overdone at this point.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Except that the natives and the Deep Ones are one and the same. The Deep Ones represent Lovecraft's fear of immigrants and the hybrids are the mixed-race children that come with them.

Given the time in which the story was written, I don't think we need to look to hard to figure out what the "white ape" represents.

Where Lovecraft's racism isn't blatantly presented to us, it is still lurking just off to the side like one of the monsters in his stories. Many of the works that are derivative of him feature a lot of that, mostly without realizing it. I mean the Call of Cthulhu d20 book featured the Tcho-Tcho in the bestiary as recently as fuckin 2001. Of course no one working on it thought "hey maybe having Tibetan cannibals turned Asian-gangsters in our game as a monster with a statblock is kinda racist" because we're talking about tabletop games and who are we kidding.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

I just wish RPG designers would let go of the Mythos already. It's been overdone at this point.

It's really a shame they don't get with the program and start making more games about zombies, dicklions, and zombie dicklions.

Edit: but really, I am sick of Lovecraft. Cthulu is bacon and Chuck Norris arranged in indescribable non-Euclidean geometry that is nonetheless exhaustively cataloged and thoroughly described.

homullus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 15, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Up until this moment, I didn't really believe there were people stupid enough to deny Lovecraft's racism. Guess I know better now! :stare:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Up until this moment, I didn't really believe there were people stupid enough to deny Lovecraft's racism. Guess I know better now! :stare:

Don't be a dick - nobody is denying it, I'm just saying that it isn't as prevalent in Mythins stories as people make it out to be.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Don't be a dick - nobody is denying it, I'm just saying that it isn't as prevalent in Mythins stories as people make it out to be.

Ultimately that decision is up to the reader. I personally find Lovecraft's writings absolutely steeped in anxiety about the human-seeming yet ultimately alien and degenerate "other" claiming their victims.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

The cat is the last thing you should be on board with. The squadron mascot of the Dambusters was a dog called friend of the family, and it had nothing to do with racism beyond the casual "what's wrong with that?" sense.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No one denied it. You are being an rear end in a top hat.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The Lovecraft discussion would fit better in the Lovecraft thread.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What's the status/timeline of the Ryuutama supplemental material? The game dropped completely off my radar until the beautiful hardcover showed up on my doorstep, and now I'm incredibly jazzed to have more more more of it. I looked over the Kickstarter page, but couldn't find a good list of what all I'm getting with my original Electronic Plus Plus other than the one in the original project post, or a timeline of how it's all looking (specifically, after reading Jim Butcher's new Steampunk book, I want to play an Air Pilot character...)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just as a heads-up for people who were asking about Rippers: someone from Pinnacle went on RPGNet and said (without getting spoilery)

quote:

We aren't going to retcon it, but the damning aspect of Rippertech is gone and the players discover why during the course of the new Plot Point Campaign. Rather than pretend it never happened and discount the first Plot Point Campaign and the actions of the previous heroes, it's explained how it was overcome because those heroes discovered the truth.

I guess that makes sense for people who played through the old version.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Impossible Landscapes, the Carcosa campaign has been unlocked! Get the PDF for $20 or the book for $50. Plus we have new shipping rates for the UK and Canada: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1384584

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Cyphoderus posted:

This. If there is one complaint I have about Ken and Robin talk about stuff, it's that they talk about too much cthulu stuff. I like all the history and other stuff but get bored and tune out whenever they start in on how to add cthulu to perfectly good and interesting material.

It's still the best podcast of its type, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
For better or worse, Cthulu does push issues off the shelves. The popularity is dying down, but it is one of those "in" nerd things at the moment. Makes sense to play to it. Though, like I said before, it's on it's way out to be replaced by some new nerdy trope.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My copy of Ryutamma just arrived! :dance:

Man, this is a pretty book.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

For better or worse, Cthulu does push issues off the shelves. The popularity is dying down, but it is one of those "in" nerd things at the moment. Makes sense to play to it. Though, like I said before, it's on it's way out to be replaced by some new nerdy trope.

Quick, someone make a "large breasted woman feeding a zombie Cthulu bacon" boardgame featuring the cast of Dr Who and Big Bang Theory. Kickstarter exclusive Firefly figures! Expansions that replace the bacon with craft beer and coffee for the hipsters. Another expansion that has chibi Cthulu.

Rules? gently caress you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hope the next "in" thing is ray gun gothic. All kinds of giant space ants and 50 foot women attacking cities and poo poo. Maybe some death robots?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LordAba posted:

Quick, someone make a "large breasted woman feeding a zombie Cthulu bacon" boardgame featuring the cast of Dr Who and Big Bang Theory. Kickstarter exclusive Firefly figures! Expansions that replace the bacon with craft beer and coffee for the hipsters. Another expansion that has chibi Cthulu.

Rules? gently caress you.

I wasn't arguing in favor of sexism -- not sure how we went there -- I was just saying Cthulu is, for better or worse, popular so people use him, for better or for worse. I really don't like it, I was just saying the reasoning. Also, I really, really don't like the fact that women don't get fair representation in our industry and I don't feel my prior statement is similar to ones where someone says "sex sells" to justify unfair representation of women since including Cthulu isn't offensive, just a lazy design move. In other words, I get what you're saying -- "appealing to the common denominator for a quick buck likely means your creatively bankrupt and likely to engage in offensive behavior" --, but I feel the need to clarify that my stance.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Jimbozig posted:

This. If there is one complaint I have about Ken and Robin talk about stuff, it's that they talk about too much cthulu stuff. I like all the history and other stuff but get bored and tune out whenever they start in on how to add cthulu to perfectly good and interesting material.

It's still the best podcast of its type, though.

Saying that Kenneth Hite should talk less about how to make the Mythos interesting is pretty close to saying that he should knock it off with all this history or secret society stuff. That's a significant part of what he's built his career on. Robin Laws is no slouch in that department either; his collection "New Tales of the Yellow Sign" is a great example of interesting things to do with the themes associated with Hastur/the King in Yellow.

It's totally fine if that isn't your particular thing, but judging from other kickstarters, a lot of people are still interested in either Cthulhu (as a marketing force) or in the story ideas of cosmic horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd prefer for more things to be Mythos esque than directly using well known mytho characters. So basically I want more Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Is that so much to ask?

• Locked thread