Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

Now to tackle the age old question of is something overpowered, too easy to be good at, or is everything else just too weak?
I'm a natural with anything fire-based but I was able to consistently be on top as 16 Support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Junkie Disease posted:

Zerks pretty drat fun as well. Haven't touched one past Hard mode but firebug and Zerk have been stupid fun for me. Any suggestions for skrake and fleshpounds if I'm melee beyond the normal hit em when they are not looking at me?

The biggest boon you can grant your team is drawing scrake and FP focus away from them and tanking the heavy hits. You actually want to close in and initiate as early as possible to ensure aggro stays on you. Stand your ground if you're out in front (especially if the team is camping a corridor for instance) to prevent the rest of your team from sharing the AoE damage from heavy zed arcing attacks and to give demo enough distance for their explosives to arm.

The video linked earlier is out of date unfortunately and doesn't take into account the new melee changes. You can no longer freely and consistently stumble heavy zeds with parry thanks to their added glowing attacks, nor can you constantly run around attacking their 7 o'clock until their AI breaks thanks to the more aggressive aggro state. So getting hurt and straight up tanking is now the current meta for heavy zeds. Definitely take Fortitude on Suicidal and Hell on Earth (and even lower difficulties) to give you added survivability and more room for your medic to work. Smash is the other skill you'll want for damage mitigation as it knocks enemies down for a short while.

Other random tips:

- If you're the second berserker and a heavy zed's aggro is definitely fixed on first berserker, it's better to go around and attack from the back so that you don't share damage from frontal swipes. Your medic can keep his healing on just one tank and you won't accidentally block darts this way as well.

- If you're taking too much damage, don't be afraid to block or even run away. I know I said you should stand your ground earlier but it's always better to catch a breather and get healed up over dying.

- A scrake's most dangerous attack is the one where he thrusts his chainsaw forwards and holds it there for a bit. Back off of him to avoid the sudden jump in DPS or stagger him to cancel it out.

- Double zerk grenades will kill rage state, toss out a pair during double fleshpound waves especially.

- Zweihander's thrust and Pulverizer's alt-attack will cause stagger.

- Crouch to let your team shoot over you. You can still reach a heavy zed's head from this position for Smash attacks.

- Smash procs on Pulverizer's light attacks as well.

- Switch to Poison Resistance when fighting Hans to mitigate damage from his gas grenades.

- Press reload to wipe blood off of your weapon and paint the floors red :black101:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
What's the general consensus on the Eviscerator? I don't know why, but I just don't do well as Berzerker unless I'm using that instead of the Pulverizor or Zweihander.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

What's the general consensus on the Eviscerator? I don't know why, but I just don't do well as Berzerker unless I'm using that instead of the Pulverizor or Zweihander.

it's real bad

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
any berserker you see using the eviscerator shouldn't be relied upon at all

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the zweihander is more efficient in every way despite being 1000 times lamer

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really wish the Eviscerator was good. Its chainsaw mode does massive damage, but it burns through fuel so fast you can't rely on it. It's buzzsaws hit hard and pierce forever, but they don't hit as hard as the AA12 and a leveled up Support will shoot through just as many enemies and hit a wider area too. The buzzsaws also have only 25 shots. Once you run out of buzzsaws and gas, it becomes a pulverizer with no explosions and slower attacks, which is just not worth having. Especially since it is too heavy to equip it and a pulverizer at the same time. Also, you cannot tank or stall fleshpounds with it, which is the main job people want out of the berserker. It can still stall Scrakes, though - buzzsaws to their kneecaps or face will stumble them, and you can fire them fast enough to keep them stumbled until they die. It's also incredible for dealing with Sirens and Bloats, who normally give the berserker a bit of trouble, because it will take off their heads in a single hit, from range, no matter how many enemies are between you and their face. The Eviscerator also deals absolutely absurd damage to Hans if you can get behind him and chainsaw right into his backpack.

Short version: It's very powerful, but only in short bursts, and only in certain situations, and it doesn't have the ammo to last an entire later game wave. It doesn't do the main job people want the berserker to do (tank the fleshpound), and you cannot equip it with another weapon that CAN tank a fleshpound. I want to love it but right now it's just not good enough to drop the pulverizer for it.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 15, 2015

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

moot the hopple posted:

- Press reload to wipe blood off of your weapon and paint the floors red :black101:

This is the only thing you need to know as a Berserker.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there any situation where Tactical Reload is the perk to roll with? Any at all?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any situation where Tactical Reload is the perk to roll with? Any at all?

every single imaginable situation

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coolguye posted:

any berserker you see using the eviscerator shouldn't be relied upon at all

Dunno, I had a zerker with an eviscerator win me a round...

Because he died like a chump, as did everyone else on the team, but he dropped his Eviscerator which let me finish soloing 3/4ths of the wave as a medic after my medic guns ran out of bullets.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Are you dead? Tactical Reload

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Are you using nothing but off-perk weapons for some reason and you don't get the benefits of tac reload? Use Tac Reload

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Did your son tell you he's gay and also he's loving your wife? Tac Reload

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe he meant commando's tactical reload?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Ruggington posted:

Did your son tell you he's gay and also he's loving your wife?

Hey, the Metal Gear thread is that way.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I need to look at the perk trees again because I could swear that wherever Tac Reload showed up, the alternative was better. Yet I'm looking at Commando now online and I'm totally wrong.

Also Steam has Chivalry on sale this weekend for $5 in case you want to burn some dosh to get the LARP knight crossover character (yes I just did this I'm a dummy).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I need to look at the perk trees again because I could swear that wherever Tac Reload showed up, the alternative was better. Yet I'm looking at Commando now online and I'm totally wrong.

Also Steam has Chivalry on sale this weekend for $5 in case you want to burn some dosh to get the LARP knight crossover character (yes I just did this I'm a dummy).

Tac reload is the superior option on both commando and support, so never not tac reload.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chivalry is basically the melee version of KF.

Basically if every shooter had Tripwire do the weapon handling and the Chivalry dudes handle the melee combat life would be perfect.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah seriously, Chivalry is a great game. It can be frustrating, but if you get a group going it's a great way to have some drinks and die laughing.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

But how does Chivalry compare to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in terms of melee combat? Because that's the platinum standard as far as I'm concerned.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's better than DMoMM except for the lack of Mighty Booting, and except for the fact that two-handers are OP as gently caress because they never introduced a minimum swing distance for large weapons, so two-handers have range, speed and damage advantage over everything not two-handed.

e; also, it has screaming, so I feel the loss of the Mighty Boot is fine. It's a tradeoff.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 16, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's better than DMoMM except for the lack of Mighty Booting, and except for the fact that two-handers are OP as gently caress because they never introduced a minimum swing distance for large weapons, so two-handers have range, speed and damage advantage over everything not two-handed.

e; also, it has screaming, so I feel the loss of the Mighty Boot is fine. It's a tradeoff.

It is also missing the spike traps that are conveniently placed next to enemies.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

sushibandit posted:

But how does Chivalry compare to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic in terms of melee combat? Because that's the platinum standard as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't matter. Chiv is a screaming simulator.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

It is also missing the spike traps that are conveniently placed next to enemies.

And the ice slick spell. Like I said, no Mighty Boot. :v:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Chivalry fuckin owns and is a great way to keep yourself from getting burned out on KF until the next content update, if you are worried about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgabdT4avM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02TDI_Fafs0

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 16, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=113526

tier 1:

tier 2:
M1911

tier 3:
Deagle

tier 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1d7i3i0LLI

also the FP is getting reworked sounds and voice lines

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 16, 2015

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
a S&W .500? :flashfap:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Huh, so dual 9mms are offperk, then? Interesting.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Ruggington posted:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=113526

tier 1:

tier 2:
M1911

tier 3:
Deagle

tier 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1d7i3i0LLI

also the FP is getting reworked sounds and voice lines

I AM EXCITE

Seriously, dualie 500s is going to be so wonderfully gruesome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm not really impressed. Those are all high-calibre pistols with ten rounds in the mag or less. What about a Glock 18 or 93R? Also not a single Boondock Saints gun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Also not a single Boondock Saints gun.

Good.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Shumagorath posted:

I'm not really impressed. Those are all high-calibre pistols with ten rounds in the mag or less. What about a Glock 18 or 93R? Also not a single Boondock Saints gun.

Ever seen a double-stacked M1911? They can hold 14 in the mag.

And this isn't even considering goofy extended-mags.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
get some of these on the magnum..

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

it's not gunslinging if you use boring baby guns

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I will laugh a lot if swapping cylinders to reload on the Remington 1858 is a level 15 skill unlock and the starting default way to reload is pouring loose powder, ramming in a ball, and capping a nipple for each chamber. It would be hilarious if this zombie shooter becomes the first game to replicate the authentic 5 minutes to ready 6 shots reloading experience of a blackpowder revolver.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Level 10 gives you paper cartridges. Level 15 you can swap cylinders. Level 20, you can carry a brace of Remington 1858s and do New York reloads. Level 25 Zed time perk, you go into the future and pick up a metallic cartridge conversion cylinder.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

moot the hopple posted:

Level 10 gives you paper cartridges. Level 15 you can swap cylinders. Level 20, you can carry a brace of Remington 1858s and do New York reloads. Level 25 Zed time perk, you go into the future and pick up a metallic cartridge conversion cylinder.

I like the idea of New York reloads for the gunslinger, but they shouldn't have to buy backup guns. Maybe I just want to leave a trail of empty weapons. I dunno.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Just go full shitfest and get Tediore's great-granddaddy to make your 1800s revolvers. Grenadier reloads are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

moot the hopple posted:

Oh my god make the level 20 an actual level 25 perk for your pistols, instead of reloading your perk gun literally just drop the gun and pull out a new one basically instantly during zed time.