Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Onion is a National Treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think you're confusing contemporaneity with causation. The republicans had refused to bargain at other points in time and it never made a difference in the narrative any of those other times, and there's no especial reason to think it did then, either.

Occupy Wall Street occurred during the fall of 2011, which to the best of my knowledge was also during the first crisis that had the Republicans in the majority position.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So Michael Bay's movie about Benghazi will be released 2 weeks before the Iowa caucuses. I haven't heard much about the movie, does anyone have any idea how bad this can be for Hillary? I don't know how much Bay embellished what happened, but what are the odds of it being closer to the GOP version instead of what actually happened?

Article from the guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/15/michael-bays-benghazi-movie-hit-hillary-clinton-campaign

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

All I see is Jeb! in a blonde wig

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

So Michael Bay's movie about Benghazi will be released 2 weeks before the Iowa caucuses. I haven't heard much about the movie, does anyone have any idea how bad this can be for Hillary? I don't know how much Bay embellished what happened, but what are the odds of it being closer to the GOP version instead of what actually happened?

Article from the guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/15/michael-bays-benghazi-movie-hit-hillary-clinton-campaign

It won't feature Hillary and it most likely will not feature a scene with "orders from the Secretary of State" for the agents to stop, so it probably won't make any waves outside of the areas that don't matter already.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Occupy Wall Street occurred during the fall of 2011, which to the best of my knowledge was also during the first crisis that had the Republicans in the majority position.

Yeah it was a thing in Fall 2011 and then a straggling mess in early 2012. The Grand Bargain was finally dead in November 2011. It died entirely because the Republicans were dumb enough to think they could get something better.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A match made in Heaven.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

First Hermione, now Malia? Brown's moving up in the (Ivy) world!!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Um, what the hell is crowd sourced news journalism? What is that link?

reddit?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evilweasel posted:

lawl everyone has been using the SAME HARDCODED RANDOM NUMBER

the same one

so the NSA spent a year to break that one random number and can now read everyone's encrypted traffic that uses that number

Yup. It can't just be random, it has to be a prime with a size greater than 1024 bits and only a few of them have the mathematical properties that make them desirable. There are like a few dozen commonly used ones, but mostly they're clustered on a few of them.

Just knowing the number doesn't buy you anything. Basically you take the prime to a secret number of powers and then take a modulus or something like that. What they're doing here is brute forcing a giant rainbow table of all the values of the other secrets for the primes that are popular, so when they see the encrypted key exchange they can look up the secrets that generate it and see which decode the traffic. It's a bunch of work but it's feasible if you are a nation-state and you buy custom hardware.

The quick fix is to bump up to 2048-bit keys, which currently can't be brute-forced. But there's a bunch of middleware out there that only uses 1024-bit keys and won't understand 2048-bit. A bunch of Cisco stuff apparently only understands 768-bit keys. A bunch of that stuff probably will never have patches released, and some of it may not be firmware flashable.

With one prime, they could break 75% of the SSL traffic, 25% of the SSH traffic, and a large chunk of the VPN traffic.

Guess that explains why they recommend analysts try to decrypt VPN traffic!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Harvard & Yale are full of bozo's and Gulf-Arab goobers. Completely ruined their reputations.

Stanford & Brown are the new hotness.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Taeke posted:

I don't know about fingerprints, but IIRC with DNA they only check specific markers (for obvious reasons) and there's a 1 in 6 billion or so chance of anyone on earth having the same as you. The chances of a screw up in the lab loving you over is infinitely larger than all the tests etc. being done correctly but you happening to have the same markers as the culprit. It's not random chance that produces the 'duplicates' but human error.

Ah. I must have confused the two. Thanks!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nonsense posted:

Harvard & Yale are full of bozo's and Gulf-Arab goobers. Completely ruined their reputations.

Brown is the Ivy League Brooklyn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah it was a thing in Fall 2011 and then a straggling mess in early 2012. The Grand Bargain was finally dead in November 2011. It died entirely because the Republicans were dumb enough to think they could get something better.

There were still other prior attempts that had also failed, and Grand Bargain was only part of the narrative shift; DEBT and DEFICIT mostly went out the window too, at around the same time. Theorizing that that shift happened because of inside- baseball negotiation stuff that the public and.media mostly ignore, rather than because of a massive series of public mass demonstrations, just seems like the sort of wrong side you have to be a huge politics junkie to believe.

Anyway I'll propose a test (I'd do it.myself, but on phone). Pull up google trends for debt, Deficit, inequality, and 99%, and see when the respective upticks and downticks happened, exactly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

Sources please.

Nah man you know how much the passionate gun rights folks love people named Clinton. She really shat the bed here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anyway I'll propose a test (I'd do it.myself, but on phone). Pull up google trends for debt, Deficit, inequality, and 99%, and see when the respective upticks and downticks happened, exactly.

"Debt" kind of overpowers everything else but here's the others:

As you can see, 99% has a huge jump (not unexpected), whereas deficit and inequality are about the same, maybe a bit lower now for inequality compared with the present but that didn't start until what looks like the end of 2013.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

"Debt" kind of overpowers everything else but here's the others:

As you can see, 99% has a huge jump (not unexpected), whereas deficit and inequality are about the same, maybe a bit lower now for inequality compared with the present but that didn't start until what looks like the end of 2013.

Hrm, yeah, that doesn't really look like much either way. Maybe a lexis/nexus search?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I hope this wasn't posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfkYfPNckIM

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

There were still other prior attempts that had also failed, and Grand Bargain was only part of the narrative shift; DEBT and DEFICIT mostly went out the window too, at around the same time. Theorizing that that shift happened because of inside- baseball negotiation stuff that the public and.media mostly ignore, rather than because of a massive series of public mass demonstrations, just seems like the sort of wrong side you have to be a huge politics junkie to believe.

That's the point though: Grand Bargaining died before Occupy had gotten into the swing of things, after repeated attempts failed due to Republican intransigence. When the Republicans had made it clear "cut some stuff and we'll give you what you want elsewhere" wasn't going to be an option, there's was no longer a point to continuing that line of deals.

Occupy was at best a side show that survived only in the 99% soundbite going through - while most of the general public was still on about "why are they whining".

Occupy's real good was done later, when Occupy groups separate from the weirdos who insisted on continuing the permanent encampments got up to rolling jubilee, or real homeless support, or later 2012 Sandy relief.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

I think it was, I would have never forgotten if uh, I think..well, if you hadn't posted it, but..well no, the other ones, well, no I mean if it had been posted sometime within the millienia..

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The New York Times got in touch with a few FBI investigators who are working on e-mail-gate angry about Obama trying to defend the party. The Times also politely likens the situation to David Petraeus.

Whoever it is is going around to news outlets to claim that Hillary is liable for 10 years in prison for the debacle but only the Daily Mail bit.

Drudge, naturally is having a field day about this.

I swear to God, the NYTimes hates the Clintons more than any other right wing rag sheet, more than any talking head on radio. Years ago, Bill must have butt hosed some matriarch of the Ochs-Sulzberger family and left without even a goodnight kiss because they are more bitter and spiteful than all the right wing media groups combined.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever and whatever happened. That space shuttle. Certainly not the Columbia (its maiden flight dedicated to the Afghan People by Reagan) - and certainly not carrying one of the first Israeli astronauts before the invasion of Iraq. Just sad - let's focus on voting for a Third Bush.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

Obama could have talked about income inequality all he wanted. It wasn't till a mass movement like OWS though that cause the media and the politicians to really pay attention to it though.

note: the need for a mass movement was also in Obama's 2008 campaign

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone posted it a while back but basically the media has always hated Hillary Clinton because she hates the loving press and they feel they're entitled to 24/7 all access to every aspect of her life; she tells them to gently caress off.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh my god dubbya WAS the smarter and more charismatic one

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

radical meme posted:

I swear to God, the NYTimes hates the Clintons more than any other right wing rag sheet, more than any talking head on radio. Years ago, Bill must have butt hosed some matriarch of the Ochs-Sulzberger family and left without even a goodnight kiss because they are more bitter and spiteful than all the right wing media groups combined.

Did she do anything to piss of the NYT in particular or is it a general "we hate clinton" kind of thing?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nonsense posted:

Last time I even thought about Ivy rankings was over a decade ago. Is Dartmouth still the safety school of the bunch?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don't First Kids usually have secret service assigned to them? Not that I'd be surprised to see the secret service let her go to a party (or want to crash the party too) but either way who gives a poo poo?

mdemone posted:

I wonder which chucklefuck will be the first to convince himself that making GBS threads on the President's daughter would be a Good Career Move.

Rush Limbaugh already proved this to be effective back in the 90s. Can't wait for the trash to get spewed about Malia being some drunken harlot or whatever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Filthy Hans posted:

Last time I even thought about Ivy rankings was over a decade ago. Is Dartmouth still the safety school of the bunch?

Lisa's going to Dartmouth! Lisa's going to Dartmouth!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rollofthedice posted:

Did she do anything to piss of the NYT in particular or is it a general "we hate clinton" kind of thing?

My personal opinion, after going through the years of the great american dick hunt, specifically Bill's dick, during which I actually subscribed to the NYTimes, its more a general, "we don't like these uppity, uncouth hillbillies from Arkansas" type of hatred.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Went to Barnes and Noble today to look at books to buy on Amazon later, and walked out with the new Robert Reich book, which I'm about halfway through. It's predictably excellent, with some great points about "free markets" that I hope will get some traction. That's not why I'm posting though, this is:

This is probably the single greatest book cover I've ever seen, just for the sheer amount of crazy packed into one tiny rectangle.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Yoshifan823 posted:

Went to Barnes and Noble today to look at books to buy on Amazon later, and walked out with the new Robert Reich book, which I'm about halfway through. It's predictably excellent, with some great points about "free markets" that I hope will get some traction. That's not why I'm posting though, this is:

This is probably the single greatest book cover I've ever seen, just for the sheer amount of crazy packed into one tiny rectangle.

Seems like Dees' work, or someone inspired by him.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

silvergoose posted:

Lisa's going to Dartmouth! Lisa's going to Dartmouth!

At least it's not Vassar.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sorry for being late and a old fart but can someone explain the meaning of "casual" here? I feel like it's Ruby Rodd saying how green it is.

Also: narcing on the president's daughter, the smoovest of moves.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 17, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sorry for being late and a old fart but can someone explain the meaning of "casual" here? I feel like it's Ruby Rodd saying how green it is.

Basically think of it like "I'm not freaking out here but I'm totally freaking out because it's someone famous".

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

zoux posted:

We're also at the absolute height of political cynicism so wet behind the ears college kids millenialsplaining how it really works is even more exhausting this cycle.

Willa?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

James Franco went there for like 2 weeks. :toot:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

If only this was in any way true.

There's a Bernie-supporting Super PAC, remember that one of the cornerstones of his campaign is that he isn't taking Super PAC money like the other candidates so it actually has nothing to do with him, that probably disappeared with $50000 of Daniel Craig's money, which I think basically makes it the Star Citizen of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

MC Nietzche posted:

If the email defense and handshake at he debate did not convince you that the long-term game Bernie Sanders is playing is to force Clinton to the left and motivate the base to vote for her then, I'm sorry, but you've left reality behind. Bernie Sanders is playing at being a kingmaker, not the king.

I only hope that Sandersistas aren't so shallow to think that this isn't a position of power, perhaps moreso at the moment than being President.

Long live Bernie, and may his supporters grow up to be as wise as he.

• Locked thread