Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

You don't get them without KWS scanning, no. That's why most people suggest running a KWS when bounty hunting. Also, the KWS doesn't affect the Clean/Wanted in the lower-left corner, if that's what you were looking at. To see the additional bounties it picks up, you need to check the Contacts tab. Incidentally, the reason why a target with KWS bounties can still be Clean is because Clean/Wanted only refers to their status in the current system.

Some of the additional bounties may be for small, random systems you'll never visit, but you'll often pick up a major faction bounty that you can cash in next time you visit that faction's space. For example, while RES hunting in Federation space your KWS might pick up a bunch of Empire bounties that you can later claim from an Imperial system.

e: In CZ's, keep an eye on your radar to see how the battle is going, so you know when it's a good time to run. I was recently in a CZ for 30 or so minutes, when I noticed there were suddenly very few green contacts on radar. I began retreating, and shortly after I did I was targeted by like 6 ships. I got away easily because my head-start gave me enough distance to make chaff more effective, and to lessen the FDS mass disruption. It's easy to get tunnel vision in CZ's and not notice that the battle has swung way in the other side's favor.

drat well thanks

I'll toss a KWS on my Vulture and try to find a High I guess

e: oh yeh dicked around at a really slow nav beacon and it easily tripled my payout. Sweet

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Guy goes out exploring, runs out of fuel, calls the Fuel Rats, makes song about it:

https://soundcloud.com/elementz_360/hotel-dalgarno-fuel-rats-parody-of-hotel-california

This is really good.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

xiansi posted:

Guy goes out exploring, runs out of fuel, calls the Fuel Rats, makes song about it:

https://soundcloud.com/elementz_360/hotel-dalgarno-fuel-rats-parody-of-hotel-california

This is really good.

That poo poo needs to be in the OP, it's fantastic!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Perhaps a dumb question, but debating getting into this, and:

The implication on this is that if I buy the "Horizons Preorder" now, I won't actually be able to play the base game until Horizons comes out? Is that accurate?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

The implication on this is that if I buy the "Horizons Preorder" now, I won't actually be able to play the base game until Horizons comes out? Is that accurate?

Yes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ewwwww Steam it is. :shobon:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you buy the base game now, you'll still have to buy Horizons later to get the new features. If you can wait, you'll get the base game free.

They very rarely miss a release date, so Horizons is six weeks away tops.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How many expansions are planned? I can't imagine the lifetime pass would be worth it!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

tooterfish posted:

They very rarely miss a release date, so Horizons is six weeks away tops.

Ten Weeks*

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Roughly one a year, for as long as they can get away with it.

There'll be at least a couple more I think. We've got atmospheric and volcanic planets, life bearing planets and ambulatory gameplay (walking in ships, stations and on planets and all that entails) to go.

How much was the expansion pass again?

AndroidHub posted:

Ten Weeks*
Yes, my apologies.

Been Christmas shopping today, my head's clearly still in a funny place.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm going to spend the entire winter boost driving around a dead planet for no reason and it will be wonderful.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The funny part is that I made a reply when I was in the "mods must approve" portion of my forumhood. That post never appeared.

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah - I've replied to that thread as well, but it gave me the "mod must approve" message and it hasn't appeared yet... even though I've posted on the forums before without a problem. :tinfoil:

They both appeared just now, but are sandwiched between the two replies that were already there. I can understand why in the technical sense, but wow that's dumb.

LCL-Dead posted:

4 hours later there's only one new reply. I don't think this is as bright on the radar as we think. Just people snooping SA.

What, Sothis smuggling? There's a huge thread about it in the main ED forum and the traffic report there shows thousands of Asps.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still one hundred percent sure the melody used in stations is the same song from the age of ultron trailer

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
At the moment since smuggling pays such a ridiculous amount, it's worthwhile considering putting a small cargo hold on your Vultures and doing some smuggling. Most of the smuggling runs I do rarely have more than 8 units of cargo for a good half million or so.

Bare in mind, I'm at a low rank and could barely afford my Vulture :). At higher ranks it's probably not worthwhile, but for the time being...

3 quick questions:

#1) Is a KWS really worth it? I use it when doing bounty missions and I have no idea how much extra money I'm getting from all the scans.

#2) My sensors only show orange blips, never any greens\reds or any of the other stuff I see you guys talking about. Why not?

#3) My Vulture has some power issues (what a shock right?). I've been spending most of my money on upgrading power plant\coupling, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Should I expect it to help out or is it just this ship?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

xiansi posted:

This is really good.

Eh, who needs rats when you've got frogs?

Now, his song about the miner's life - that I can get behind dig! :downsrim:

https://soundcloud.com/elementz_360/learn-to-mine-elite-dangerous-parody-of-learn-to-fly-foo-fighters

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 17, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

H13 posted:

At the moment since smuggling pays such a ridiculous amount, it's worthwhile considering putting a small cargo hold on your Vultures and doing some smuggling. Most of the smuggling runs I do rarely have more than 8 units of cargo for a good half million or so.

Bare in mind, I'm at a low rank and could barely afford my Vulture :). At higher ranks it's probably not worthwhile, but for the time being...

3 quick questions:

#1) Is a KWS really worth it? I use it when doing bounty missions and I have no idea how much extra money I'm getting from all the scans.

#2) My sensors only show orange blips, never any greens\reds or any of the other stuff I see you guys talking about. Why not?

#3) My Vulture has some power issues (what a shock right?). I've been spending most of my money on upgrading power plant\coupling, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Should I expect it to help out or is it just this ship?

1. Yes. You can get an idea of how much extra cash it's earning you by looking at your Contacts screen after you scan someone, but the easy answer is yes, it's worth it. If you're cramped for power, then just get the grade E version.

2. When you enter a combat zone and select a faction, your chosen faction ships will all turn green, and the other side will turn red. You'll also see greens in other parts of the system if you are allied with a faction.

3. Even with a 4A plant, the Vulture doesn't have much power available. Here is my loadout, for example. You can see that I had to make a few concessions on gear (B-grade shield, E-grade KWS, etc.), and several modules depower when I deploy my hardpoints. It's one of those ships that'll force you to learn power management if you want to upgrade it a bunch.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
If you need Imperial or Federation rep and you are currently doing the smuggling thing, make sure you are operating on the fringe of your faction's space and check every destination for charity missions. Kill two space-birds with one pulse laser.

Also I watched a video of another guy doing the smuggling thing and learned that if you position your ship between the space station and the celestial body it orbits before leaving supercruise you are going to be positioned on the side of the mail slot, making the dodging copper scans part of the experience a lot easier. This is probably smuggling 101 for most people but there ya go for people like me who didn't know. Happy Han Solo'ing :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Didn't know that. Thank you.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

amazeballs posted:

Also I watched a video of another guy doing the smuggling thing and learned that if you position your ship between the space station and the celestial body it orbits before leaving supercruise you are going to be positioned on the side of the mail slot, making the dodging copper scans part of the experience a lot easier. This is probably smuggling 101 for most people but there ya go for people like me who didn't know. Happy Han Solo'ing :v:

I was having trouble visualizing this so I looked this up. The guy's accent is also entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqpvtLnYq8

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm a total newb, what does KWS stand for?

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I was having trouble visualizing this so I looked this up. The guy's accent is also entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqpvtLnYq8

Thanks, I was just about to look this up myself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kill Warrant Scanner, which lets you see if ships are wanted in jurisdictions/systems other than the current one. Mostly used to scan already wanted ships to hopefully get an even bigger payout.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm a total newb, what does KWS stand for?

Kill Warrant Scanner. It allows you to find out what bounties a ship has, outside the current system. (However if a ship has no bounties in the current system you're in, but bounties outside that system - e.g. in the Empire, but you're in the Federation somewhere - then it'll still be illegal for you to shoot them. It's just a bonus amount of cash for shooting ships that you probably would've shot at anyway, really)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A while back somebody posted up a really good guide on mining with the limpet improvements with recommendations of locations, anybody happen to have the link?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AndroidHub posted:

Ten Weeks*

Ain't nobody got time for that :colbert:

Picked it up, the ability to fly a spaceship with a dualshock was worth the cost of entry and something I've wanted to do since abortive attempts to hack that exact thing together with an old copy of X-Wing Alliance and a PS3 controller years ago. They really do need to swap the roll and yaw in the default bindings, though.

Now to try and figure out how to find a station again before I run out of fuel in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Major Isoor posted:

Kill Warrant Scanner. It allows you to find out what bounties a ship has, outside the current system. (However if a ship has no bounties in the current system you're in, but bounties outside that system - e.g. in the Empire, but you're in the Federation somewhere - then it'll still be illegal for you to shoot them. It's just a bonus amount of cash for shooting ships that you probably would've shot at anyway, really)

Yeah, I recommend putting the KWS on the same function as your primary fire and you'll scan everything you're shooting down.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Kws is painful but dang does it increase payouts

It takes the ID process a few secs longer than the normal Wanted or not check

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's an FAS besides fetal alcohol syndrome?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A kinda iClipper.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

What's an FAS besides fetal alcohol syndrome?

Federal Assault Ship.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ain't nobody got time for that :colbert:

Picked it up, the ability to fly a spaceship with a dualshock was worth the cost of entry and something I've wanted to do since abortive attempts to hack that exact thing together with an old copy of X-Wing Alliance and a PS3 controller years ago. They really do need to swap the roll and yaw in the default bindings, though.

Now to try and figure out how to find a station again before I run out of fuel in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Don't swap yaw and roll. You need to get used to rolling then pitching up or down. Yaw is much slower than pitching and rolling.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
What faction should I pledge if I'm taking advantage of the sweet, sweet Sothis runs before they patch it out?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When smuggling, make sure to press L to turn your headlights off. You're a smuggler for god's sake.

thetechnoloser posted:

What faction should I pledge if I'm taking advantage of the sweet, sweet Sothis runs before they patch it out?

Doesn't matter. Get to Sothis!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chaosapiant posted:

Don't swap yaw and roll. You need to get used to rolling then pitching up or down. Yaw is much slower than pitching and rolling.

The default keybinding has roll and pitch on the same stick, which is pretty drat dumb imo. The only time I yaw is when I'm parking.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The default keybinding has roll and pitch on the same stick, which is pretty drat dumb imo. The only time I yaw is when I'm parking.

It's been a while since I saw default bindings. Are you sure it's not just set for "yaw into roll" which is dumb I don't like it. Otherwise I'd agree you're right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does gaining Fed rank prevent me getting Alliance or Imp rank?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When smuggling, make sure to press L to turn your headlights off. You're a smuggler for god's sake.

Doesn't matter. Get to Sothis!

What kind of runs?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

Does gaining Fed rank prevent me getting Alliance or Imp rank?

No. You can be a Prince in the Empire and a Whatever in the Federation if you want.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jILVwBJ5Y

If you ain't froggin' you doggin'

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I managed to so far resist the urge to cheese (mostly because it'd turn out I'd be working until they patched it out) but decided to try sOthis for shits and giggles.

I've done three runs that have netted me maybe a total of 130M. Poured the first 20M into upgrading my Python, now I have 110M liquid sitting in my bank account and the last run kicked me up to Enterpreneur.

I told myself I'd stop when I can afford a T9, but I'm tempted to go for one last caper, help me!

Also, increasingly tempted to buy myself the 'military' paintjob pack on the Frontier netstore so I can fly a giant pink warehouse.

'Military Sand Red' my foot, that's pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
lol check out the traffic report in Sothis:

• Locked thread