Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
I have a king and a hognose and they both like to check out what's going on when I get up in the morning. When I walk by the tanks someone's always pressed up against the glass. They don't know who I am obviously but I DO think they know that they are fed by people, because when they're hungry they're much more eager to get close to me and less shy in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Buttercup, the BTS, usually hears me waking up/ stares at me waiting for me to get up since his tank is in front of my bed. Usually it is because he, like all Northern BTS, are gluttons for food and will hoover everything in their path. But some days he doesn't actually want food and just wants me to let him out so he can take a nap on my bed instead.

Also you're sorta right Guava, reptiles are dumb, but some do have enough mental capacity to recognize individuals and most remember, "oh yeah this dude brings me food. Hes cool, I shouldn't bite him anymore unless he smells like food then gently caress him, I'm going for it." Obviously certain families of reptiles are smarter than others. In general for lizards, it seems the bigger, the smarter they are.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 17, 2015

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Got a friend with a baby hognose and she's worried about it not eating

I'd guess that like other snakes they can go through periods of not eating just fine but she'd appreciate someone from here more knowledgable putting her mind to rest.

On the plus side Pliskin hasn't had any issues feeding since getting him, He's on fluffs now without any issues.
Recently shedded and is being a pain for getting that last bit of skin off him so I'll bathe him today.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

freelop posted:

Got a friend with a baby hognose and she's worried about it not eating

I'd guess that like other snakes they can go through periods of not eating just fine but she'd appreciate someone from here more knowledgable putting her mind to rest.

On the plus side Pliskin hasn't had any issues feeding since getting him, He's on fluffs now without any issues.
Recently shedded and is being a pain for getting that last bit of skin off him so I'll bathe him today.

How long has it gone without eating? Does it usually take mice really well? Some hognose are fussy about mice because they eat mostly frogs and toads in the wild, but there are ways around it. The one I have right now is the best eater of any snake I've ever seen though. I don't think she's literally ever refused a feed since I got her a year and a half ago.

On the other hand, my king was a CRAZY fussy eater when he was young, mostly because he was a super nervous guy and he would get too wigged out by me opening the cage (tried feeding him in a separate container but that freaked him out even more). Since it's a baby it could be that too. If that's the case, it'll outgrow that! Now that he's bigger Cocoa only ever refuses a feed if he's getting close to shedding or deciding to hibernating.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

A Scary Little Dog posted:

Does anyone else have a critter that greets them in the morning?

I mean, I know he's not really greeting me, he's probably just seeing the light come on and "hearing" me stomp around angrily at 6:30am to get ready for work. But without fail my hognose will slither his front half out of his hide and right up to the side of his tub to observe things, always sometime between when I get a shower and when I leave. He'll sometimes do this when I get home, but not always.

I doubt it means anything but it's adorable as poo poo. :colbert:

My tree frogs like to stare at me at night. Usually around 7-8pm they'll come to the front of their tank and watch Human TV®.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went to the Pittsburgh Reptile Show today! While I was there, I met and fell in love with uromastyx, and cresties. :kimchi: The uromastyx was SUPER SUPER CHILL! I was surprised by how chill he was! Just kinda hung out on my hand and looked at me. On the other hand, cresties have these adorable sticky toes...

Some questions --

I know cresties are incredibly easy to care for, but I have cats in the household, and I don't want the poor little guy to drop his tail. Is there a high risk of that kind of predator reaction?

Are uromastyx always pretty easy to handle? Are they fussy eaters? Do they have any special care requirements? What kinds of things should I watch out for at reptile shows -- anything in terms of poor health that I should avoid? The one uromastyx I handled had a couple of lumps/scars on his back, and a couple little whitish marks that almost looked kinda fuzzy, like a fungus or something. :\ I understand they benefit from very high temps and a burrow space, but is humidity a big concern? I've had a little trouble keeping the tank of our ball python consistently humid (something I'm hoping his new tank will address).

Thanks for any info!

Edit: :c00l: chameleon --

And a couple of tinycute cresties --

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2015

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

my cat is norris posted:

I know cresties are incredibly easy to care for, but I have cats in the household, and I don't want the poor little guy to drop his tail. Is there a high risk of that kind of predator reaction?

Are uromastyx always pretty easy to handle? Are they fussy eaters? Do they have any special care requirements? What kinds of things should I watch out for at reptile shows -- anything in terms of poor health that I should avoid? The one uromastyx I handled had a couple of lumps/scars on his back, and a couple little whitish marks that almost looked kinda fuzzy, like a fungus or something. :\ I understand they benefit from very high temps and a burrow space, but is humidity a big concern? I've had a little trouble keeping the tank of our ball python consistently humid (something I'm hoping his new tank will address).

I have had a Niger uromastyx for a couple of years but he's my only experience with the species, so I can speak only to him. He was freaked out by my cats and wouldn't come out of his hide AT ALL until I moved him to a room the cats can't go in. He's very skittish and doesn't want to be handled, even though I worked with him slowly from the time I got him as an older juvenile from a breeder, shipped to me (probably unhandled til I got him, which I guess was too late?). I have only once in two years seen the little fucker eat, when I showed up at the right time to see him downing a dandelion flower. He gets a full mix of stuff including everything my tort gets plus a mix of seeds but seems to eat almost nothing...yet still has grown well.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the input. Whatever I do purchase, the new baby would live in a room away from the cats, just like Salazar. It's possible cats will get in on occasion (as Jack can hit the door handle the right way if he throws himself at it enough times), but exposure would be very infrequent.

I have another month until the next show, and will continue to research. If anyone else has thoughts/opinions, I'd love to hear from you.

Edit: Man, after looking at some of the immense desert clones people have set up for their uros, I'm thinking I'll ease into lizards with a crestie.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

How would I go about a) preping to purchase and b) purchasing a rosy boa? I understand they are good first time and handler friendly snakes and I would ideally like to have the snake in a nice display like set up. This is a long term, thinking ahead type thing, so no need to worry I am dashing off ahead with no info. This is like 6 months to a year out.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a couple leopard geckos the other day (ahh they're cuties) and they've got a UTH as a primary heat source, but the room they're in can get a little chilly so the ambient room temp at the moment in there is about 68F which I'm feeling is too low, and especially with winter coming I want to make sure it's not too low for them. I've made up a little basking spot with a piece of slate and have a lamp overhead, but I don't have a bulb yet because I'm trying to figure out which to use. Should I just get them a regular heat bulb and turn it off for the night? Or should I pick up a red-tinted bulb and leave that on overnight for them? I can't find a consensus of whether leopard geckos can see the red light or not and I don't want to stress them out with it but I'd still like to be able to see them at night too.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
They can see red just fine. I've teased mine with a red laser pointer before. The whole reptiles can't see red thing is mostly bullshit.

Red and Blue are suggested for night lights because they're a lot less bright and won't bother them nearly as much as a bright white light would.

You probably don't need the lamp at all. If their warm spot is hitting like 90 and the overnight temp stays around 70ish then you'd be fine. Invest in a cheap instant read digital thermometer. They're like $15 on Amazon and amazingly useful.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Guava posted:

How long has it gone without eating? Does it usually take mice really well? Some hognose are fussy about mice because they eat mostly frogs and toads in the wild, but there are ways around it. The one I have right now is the best eater of any snake I've ever seen though. I don't think she's literally ever refused a feed since I got her a year and a half ago.

On the other hand, my king was a CRAZY fussy eater when he was young, mostly because he was a super nervous guy and he would get too wigged out by me opening the cage (tried feeding him in a separate container but that freaked him out even more). Since it's a baby it could be that too. If that's the case, it'll outgrow that! Now that he's bigger Cocoa only ever refuses a feed if he's getting close to shedding or deciding to hibernating.

Thanks for the reply, it has eaten this past weekend. She thinks it was a little intimidated by the size of the pinkies it was getting.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti says, "Happy Halloween!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When I had my leos, I had a breeding quad in a 40 breeder. I had a large plastic shoebox filled with moss for them to shed in, and because I was a smart little rear end in the pre-Google days, the heat light went right over it. This often resulted in me finding a fifth or sixth gecko running around the tank. Mom geckos would lay their eggs in the moss, deep in it, I'd never see the eggs, and with the temperature eventually they'd hatch. I kept the red night light on 24/7 which might explain some things.

New ball Dragonfly is doing good. He's down with prekilled mice.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote a long rambling post but accidentally deleted it oops.

Basically I'm moving next year and going to be getting a snake. I've owned milk snakes and corns in the past (Sinaloan milks, specifically). I was wondering what everyone's favorite colubrids in general are. I'm leaning towards getting a corn because it was my first and favorite kind of snake, but I've never owned a king and they look so cool! I like being to handle whatever snakes I have pretty regularly. No kids or anything around.

Weirdly enough the only snakes I've ever been bitten by despite working with several was a western hognose (which hurts a lot, by the way).

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Catnipped posted:

Basically I'm moving next year and going to be getting a snake. I've owned milk snakes and corns in the past (Sinaloan milks, specifically). I was wondering what everyone's favorite colubrids in general are. I'm leaning towards getting a corn because it was my first and favorite kind of snake, but I've never owned a king and they look so cool! I like being to handle whatever snakes I have pretty regularly. No kids or anything around.

Weirdly enough the only snakes I've ever been bitten by despite working with several was a western hognose (which hurts a lot, by the way).

Kingsnakes are cool. Some bite a lot but it's pretty easy to tell if it's going to be bitey by picking it up and seeing if it bites you.

My favorite by far are bullsnakes. They get big, hiss if you make them mad, and are really easy to care for. Also Asian ratsnakes are rad. I have a little Japanese rat that is a pretty green color with a bright red tongue and he's really loving cute.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm kinda partial to Rhino Rats. I love the vibrant green with that cute little horn.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm retarded for corns and always will be and while the world screams "baby basic bitch snake" I won't care and will point at the ridiculous rainbow of easy feeding labrador-level snakes I have.

E: The hypo lavender I have doesn't count. She ate furred mice for me last night :colbert: You know. After three solid years of being a pain in the dick about it. And it still took a half hour.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have this weird feeling I'm going to end up with more than one snake, lmao.

I've never actually cared for any rat snakes either, but jeez there are a ton of gorgeous ones too. I'm all sorts of indecisive! I'm not super experienced though so I don't know if a snake like a rhino rat would be okay. My dream snake is a bamboo rat snake though for real.

I mean just look at em. Little traffic cones.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Catnipped posted:

Kings are probably my favorite snake, definitely my favorite colubrid! I've never had such an active snake in my life; every time I look over at the tanks he's doing some interesting behavior. I also like that they get a little bigger than corns and I love a lot of the morphs that are out there. My next snake purchase is definitely a Mexican Black.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Catnipped posted:

I have this weird feeling I'm going to end up with more than one snake, lmao.

I've never actually cared for any rat snakes either, but jeez there are a ton of gorgeous ones too. I'm all sorts of indecisive! I'm not super experienced though so I don't know if a snake like a rhino rat would be okay. My dream snake is a bamboo rat snake though for real.

I mean just look at em. Little traffic cones.

Bamboo rats are awesome but you gotta have AC if you want one. If they get overheated they keel over.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Place I'm moving to has central air (and is in Minnesota) so I don't think that'd be an issue. But I won't be getting one of those till much later. For now it's mostly "do I want to get a corn again or branch out into something new". And these posts are seriously making me consider a king or rat snake of some kind. There's too many snakes to choose from. :(

On the bright side I have a long time to figure it out, I don't even move till May.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Bull/gopher/pine snakes are really under appreciated. They are big dumb derpy snakes that throw the best hissy fits when you annoy them.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Bull/gopher/pine snakes are really under appreciated. They are big dumb derpy snakes that throw the best hissy fits when you annoy them.

The black pine I got to play with at the expo the other week was gorgeous. I'm a big fan.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugh I got to play with a cape gopher recently and I'm basically hiding my credit card from myself because No.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have such a soft spot for snakes that bluff and hiss and throw fits. Part of why I loved caring for hognose, too bad they don't get very big.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I'm in the middle of a Three Mile Island situation in my breakup, possibly turning to a Chernobyl one, due to an albino bull snake we adopted together. He's been my emotional support animal for over a month, happily crawling into my shirt and cuddling down near my belly for warmth, and successfully strike-feeding from my hand. He used to be tank-aggressive, but no longer is with me. However, my ex-partner has a huge bond with snakes, and would rather I leave him behind as we transition apart.

I may be able to adopt a fluorescent orange corn snake as a way to sort of fill that void, and I am investigating the differences between species.

Either way, the place I'm moving to will need a new enclosure and equipment for whatever herp I bring with me. I have a line on a good heating pad and thermostat, and some 'furniture' (plant life, branches for climbing, etc), and may be getting some help to acquire those, as I am but a poor barista, but I'm wondering what sort of enclosure would be best. Should I try and sucker persuade someone to help me get a fancy ExoTerra job? Or will something smaller suffice?

The albino bull snake, Hondo: http://i.imgur.com/nxQlZb5.jpg

The corn snake, William Snakespeare: http://www.seattlechannel.org/CityStream/Pets?videoid=x59550

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Like I read the rest of that and I care but mostly I went "don't feed your snake from your hand" so, don't feed your snake from your hand. Legally whoever paid for the snake owns it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sorry to hear about your situation, BlueInk. Good luck sorting things out. :( If finances are a concern, maybe you could just start with a basic ventilated plastic tub?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Like I read the rest of that and I care but mostly I went "don't feed your snake from your hand" so, don't feed your snake from your hand. Legally whoever paid for the snake owns it.

Okay, I should have specified. I did/do use tongs. Stupid brain, being all maudlin and poo poo. But that's getting back into E/N territory.

my cat is norris posted:

Sorry to hear about your situation, BlueInk. Good luck sorting things out. :( If finances are a concern, maybe you could just start with a basic ventilated plastic tub?

That's a possibility. My parents have volunteered their Amazon Prime powers to help get a new setup started.

Also hoping to meet the corn snake this afternoon and see how I feel.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Best of luck, BlueInkAlchemist. I bet you'll meet Sir Snakespeare and fall in love. :3:

So I won free tickets to the local reptile expo on Sunday (though I was going anyway), and I came out with a new son. Going with the name Casper for now, but I'm not completely sold on it. He's two months old and is a silly baby who slithers out to watch me in the mornings, greeting me with big yawns. Also he slept in my sweater for an hour yesterday. He's a good boy.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

A Scary Little Dog posted:

Best of luck, BlueInkAlchemist. I bet you'll meet Sir Snakespeare and fall in love. :3:

So I won free tickets to the local reptile expo on Sunday (though I was going anyway), and I came out with a new son. Going with the name Casper for now, but I'm not completely sold on it. He's two months old and is a silly baby who slithers out to watch me in the mornings, greeting me with big yawns. Also he slept in my sweater for an hour yesterday. He's a good boy.

Thank you, and WHAT A CUTIE.

I'm eyeing up a 15-gallon tank on Amazon, along with a heat pad, thermostat, liner, and this great-looking skull hideaway that would be perfect if I do in fact feel something when I check out William Snakespeare. Here's hoping. It would make things a lot easier.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Chilling horizontally on the sofa under me duvet with my baby beardie all wrapped up just zoning out to TV when he decided he'd be much much happier sat on my drat face. They don't half have sharp nails, christ. Little guy (gal?) is awesome though. As is my wee corn snake, went to check on him when I got in from work and freaked out cos I couldn't see him in his tank or under the paper we're using as substrate so lifted the lid off and the little sod dropped into his tank. How do snakes DO that? Just chillin', defying gravity, average day for Pringle the corn snake.

God I want more snakes, and more beardies. I swear, when we move house I'm gonna make sure we've got a proper reptile room.

edit: ogod the way he wiggles when he's asleep and smacks his lips how are lizards so adorable I had no idea they could be this cute :3:

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 27, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Thank you, and WHAT A CUTIE.

I'm eyeing up a 15-gallon tank on Amazon, along with a heat pad, thermostat, liner, and this great-looking skull hideaway that would be perfect if I do in fact feel something when I check out William Snakespeare. Here's hoping. It would make things a lot easier.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but as of last week Petco was doing $1 a gallon sale. I picked up a 40 breeder for the Spider Ball I bought at Tinley Park.

I decided to try out velcro to hold the top down...It worked very well cuz I had trouble removing it myself at first and now the velco on the backside of the tank works kinda like a hinge. Neat. Didn't fit as nicely as I would have wanted since I had to bend out the lid a bit to get it to fit around the velcro's thickness.

So I've been taking care of my sister's ball python. Even though she knew we were going to Tinley Park, she couldn't wait and bought it at Petco. Turns out it came with free mites! Thankfully Professor Snake is nowhere near my collection so it hasn't made the jump to my critters. This mite thing did come with one advantage. All the soaks allowed me to figure out the gender. Because like all boys, the snake had to play with its weiners in the bath.

I wish the fucker would hurry up and shed though. He has been in a temp tub waiting for this shed, so I can move him back to his normal enclosure. I forgot unlike the Corns who poo poo and shed like clockwork, Ball Pythons hold back as long as they can on doing both things. He just poo poo out like 4 weeks worth of rats the other night. That was a huge turd. Still no shed even though he has been close for over a week.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ScaryDog, that is adorable!

Cless Alvein posted:

I don't know if they're still doing it, but as of last week Petco was doing $1 a gallon sale. I picked up a 40 breeder for the Spider Ball I bought at Tinley Park.

I decided to try out velcro to hold the top down...It worked very well cuz I had trouble removing it myself at first and now the velco on the backside of the tank works kinda like a hinge. Neat. Didn't fit as nicely as I would have wanted since I had to bend out the lid a bit to get it to fit around the velcro's thickness.

Dollar per gallon should be going until 11-7, at least that when my dog training classes go back to normal price. The only problem, and the only reason Spaghetti doesn't have a brand new 40 gallon tank right now, is that I don't like the screen tops we sell and don't really trust the screen clamps to hold the lid down. Especially when I compare it to the nice slide in, locking top screen with the little padlock hole the Zilla kits come with.

Do you have pics of your top?

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

happyflurple posted:

As is my wee corn snake, went to check on him when I got in from work and freaked out cos I couldn't see him in his tank or under the paper we're using as substrate so lifted the lid off and the little sod dropped into his tank. How do snakes DO that? Just chillin', defying gravity, average day for Pringle the corn snake.

Oh god, I had so many 'has he got out?!' scares with my corn when he was a snaby. And he still climbs the walls - these days I know he's doing it because I can hear the styrofoam tank decor creaking. I don't know what the attraction is, they're not arboreal in the wild are they? I've given him some artificial vines to assist him in exploring the tank's ceiling, anyway.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My first corn snake did that a lot. I put more stuff in the tank but they kept doing it, so I just kind of assumed she was testing boundaries. She stopped when she got too big and would just fall instead.

Snakes are like cats, seriously.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Meet Ginger!

Sticky feet. :kimchi: She's just the cutest little thing. Feeding Pangea tomorrow, but aside from feedings, I'll be hands-off for a couple of weeks while she acclimates and while I make sure she has a cozy enclosure!

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Sooooo. Went to the Seattle Animal Shelter to meet this snake named William Snakespeare, and think about if he and I would get along. The moment he came out of his tank and into my hands, he rose up and booped my snoot.

Pretty much love at first sight, I guess.

I was wearing my Chrome bag, and the curious little baby crawled up the strap, under the pouch I wear above the buckle, over my shoulder, and found his way INTO THE BAG ITSELF.

Fucker was already planning his escape.

Who was I to argue? I adopted him.

The shelter gave me a coupon for a vet checkup, provided I schedule in the next seven days, and a temporary shelter and heat lamp to use until I get my own. Speaking of which, if I recall correctly, corn snakes like to burrow, so aspen chips seems like the way to go substrate-wise, but would having a liner under the chips make things easy to clean? Also, as I add bowls to his habitat, would it be good for me to have more than one water source, and a bowl dedicated just to food?

EDIT: I may go with a combination of liner and substrate to put a heat mat within the enclosure without Will wrapping himself around an electrical whatchamajig and also because the pad has no adhesive.

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Adorable! :kimchi: