Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Power levels are bullshit.

I bet the DBZ wikis were probably frantically when the movies stated the power level and they had to re write everything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kild posted:

in his base form which had like a power level of 300k or something

530,000. He says it all the time now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So 2.5 times as strong. Assuming his (old) 100% final form also went up 2.5x, he could...almost handle 17 or 18? Sound right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

So 2.5 times as strong. Assuming his (old) 100% final form also went up 2.5x, he could...almost handle 17 or 18? Sound right?

Closer to handling Perfect Cell I think. Since SSJ2 is basically double the power of SSJ1.

Kild fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Power levels are bullshit.

I bet the DBZ wikis were probably frantically when the movies stated the power level and they had to re write everything :v:

Right up until a voice actor said it was 13 trillion

Which honestly sounds like a completely believable number at this point

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

We're watching Dragonball for the first time, and we just finished the episode where Yamcha gets his rear end kicked by that mummy. It all goes downhill from there. (I grew up watching DBZ but he's never seen any of it. This is great!)

I'd say that started from the very first tournament.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think what we're all forgetting is that DBZ dropped power levels as a plot device when Freeza hit his Second Form and all power levels from that point forward is just fan speculation.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure 100% Frieza at 120M and SS1 Goku at 150M is canon? Isn't it? I know Trunks at 5 is.

E: I think that was from a Kanzenshuu. Are those canon? Are they secondary canon? Am I taking crazy pills?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Am I taking crazy pills?

You're partaking in a power level discussion, so yeah.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I always heard 15 and 12 million for Goku and Frieza. I think an episode had that plot point. It was filler though, so.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's filler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Although I'm not going to dismiss filler that doesn't contradict the mang as non-canon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The important thing to know is Freeza got stronger than Goku in SSJGSSJ by training for four months, but got killed by the energy drain. Trying to put exact numbers to it, especially when the creator clearly did not care, is kind of obsessive and nerdy.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Goku owns

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Covok posted:

The important thing to know is Freeza got stronger than Goku in SSJGSSJ by training for four months, but got killed by the energy drain. Trying to put exact numbers to it, especially when the creator clearly did not care, is kind of obsessive and nerdy.

Oh no, I wouldn't want to appear nerdy when discussing children's cartoons on a paid anime forum. That would ruin my reputation at the yacht club.

Covok
May 27, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh no, I wouldn't want to appear nerdy when discussing children's cartoons on a paid anime forum. That would ruin my reputation at the yacht club.

Hey, hey, hey!...It's not a paid, anime forum, it's a paid, general bullshit forum with a section for anime. Big difference. (sarcasm)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm cool with Frieza becoming ridiculously powerful from training several months, since he's a member of some bizarre race with only like 3 members that we know little about.

I'm not okay with Piccolo losing against a Zarbon equivalent (that kind of goes beyond normal power level shenanigans) or Gohan forgetting that he should be at least as strong as SSJ3 Goku.

Aside from the fact that, as mentioned, all power levels past Frieza's 2nd form are from databooks or video games, I also don't think it was ever stated if they're a linear thing or if they work like decibels or something. Like, a power level of 50,000 doesn't necessary mean a guy is only twice as strong as a guy with a 25,000 power level. This would be supported by the fact that people having power levels of only several thousand more than each other in the Namek Saga results in them effortlessly curb-stomping the weaker guy.

Speaking of Gohan, is there any reason they didn't just repeat the Super Saiyan God ritual for every single saiyan? I mean, they were able to do it with Vegeta apparently, so why not also hook Gohan up with that sweet god ki.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Covok posted:

I think what we're all forgetting is that DBZ dropped power levels as a plot device when Freeza hit his Second Form and all power levels from that point forward is just fan speculation.

get loving educated before arguing meaningless lore bullshit please

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Because Gohan's a chump and in one million years of trying could never be as cool or good as Vegeta much less top-tier Saiyan Warrior Future Trunks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Gohan, is there any reason they didn't just repeat the Super Saiyan God ritual for every single saiyan? I mean, they were able to do it with Vegeta apparently, so why not also hook Gohan up with that sweet god ki.

Super actually gives a pretty good explanation for this. Goku punches so hard with God Ki that he almost destroys the entire universe. Probably not something you want in the hand of Gotenks or a dude with severe anger issues.

(Probably not Vegeta either honestly.)

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Why is this thread's tag not the mr satan tag.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bacontotem posted:

Some things are too good for this thread.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bacontotem posted:

Someone really wanted the Dad tag, for some reason.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ImpAtom posted:

Probably not something you want in the hand of Gotenks
Yes, yes we do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Because Gohan's a chump and in one million years of trying could never be as cool or good as Vegeta much less top-tier Saiyan Warrior Future Trunks?

I read this post and my nose started bleeding from the anger I feel towards it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gohan has always needed other people to get anything done. The second he tries to fight alone he usually fucks up hilariously badly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Change the tag back to daily dose!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

Yes, yes we do.

We the viewers do obviously because the universe being murdered and replaced by a donut is hilarious.

Raxivace posted:

Gohan has always needed other people to get anything done. The second he tries to fight alone he usually fucks up hilariously badly.

This applies to most of the cast, especially in Z. Name one fight Goku won alone post-Dragonball.

Edit: I guess the dude who sucks energy?!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uh Nappa, Recoome, Jeice, Burter, and Yakon IIRC. If you don't count Krillin's death motivating the Super Saiyan transformation, Goku defeated Frieza alone as well.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

We the viewers do obviously because the universe being murdered and replaced by a donut is hilarious.

This applies to most of the cast, especially in Z. Name one fight Goku won alone post-Dragonball.

Edit: I guess the dude who sucks energy?!

Goku vs the Ginyu squad. Goku vs Nappa. Goku vs Mecha Frieza.

e: Oh and Yakon. He would've beat Kid Buu too if he didn't let Vegeta get his turn.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kild posted:

e: Oh and Yakon. He would've beat Kid Buu too if he didn't let Vegeta get his turn.

I don't think you can grant Kid Buu just to Goku. He may have launched the actual Spirit Bomb, but couldn't have set it up without Vegeta and Satan's help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Goku vs Ginyu: Two were taken out by Vegeta and Goku lost his body and had to be rescued by other people.
Goku vs Nappa: I guess it counts. Nappa took a pounding but it didn't slow him down.
Goku vs Mecha Frieza: Didn't happen. I guess techically it happened in another timeline but in another timeline Krillin beat Majin Buu so hey.
Goku vs Buu: Nah, he'd have gotten his face pushed in if not for Vegeta (plus Satan assist)

Vegeta and Future Trunks probably have the best solo record. Vegeta for his long-rear end killing spree on Namek + a few kills after and Trunks since he technically ganks two Androids, Cell, Frieza and King Cold without help.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 17, 2015

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Nappa? Burter? They weren't really big fights though.

e: gently caress I need to reload the page

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Goku vs Ginyu: Two were taken out by Vegeta and Goku lost his body and had to be rescued by other people.
Goku vs Nappa: I guess it counts. Nappa took a pounding but it didn't slow him down.
Goku vs Mecha Frieza: Didn't happen. I guess techically it happened in another timeline but in another timeline Krillin beat Majin Buu so hey.
Goku vs Buu: Nah, he'd have gotten his face pushed in if not for Vegeta (plus Satan assist)

Vegeta and Future Trunks probably have the best solo record. Vegeta for his long-rear end killing spree on Namek + a few kills after and Trunks since he technically ganks two Androids, Cell, Frieza and King Cold without help.

Goku regained his body on his own and took out Ginyu. He wasn't really rescued.
Goku says he could have beat Buu but because he wasted time letting Vegeta get his licks in / have a go at it he couldn't anymore and had to rely on the Spirit Bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Goku regained his body after Ginyu got his poo poo pushed in by other people. He'd have died otherwise.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Goku regained his body after Ginyu got his poo poo pushed in by other people. He'd have died otherwise.

Considering how weak Ginyu was in Goku's body was I think even Goku in Ginyu's hurt body could've beat him. And its not like they beat him up to get Goku's body back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Considering how weak Ginyu was in Goku's body was I think even Goku in Ginyu's hurt could've beat him. And its not like they beat him up to get Goku's body back.

Yes they did. That is in fact how Goku got so badly injured and why he needed to be healed.

At this point you're also arguing "Well, he probably COULD have won that fight" instead of "he did win that fight" which kind of defeats the point. Goku did not defeat Kid Buu or Ginyu on his own.

(Edit: Also, looking it up, I don't see where Goku says he could have beaten Kid Buu.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 17, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kild posted:

Goku says he could have beat Buu but because he wasted time letting Vegeta get his licks in / have a go at it he couldn't anymore and had to rely on the Spirit Bomb.

You're misremembering. What goku said was that he could have beaten fat buu but he wanted the kids to do it instead. Against kid buu he couldn't maintain ss3 so they had to go with the spirit bomb instead

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes they did. That is in fact how Goku got so badly injured and why he needed to be healed.

At this point you're also arguing "Well, he probably COULD have won that fight" instead of "he did win that fight" which kind of defeats the point. Goku did not defeat Kid Buu or Ginyu on his own.

(Edit: Also, looking it up, I don't see where Goku says he could have beaten Kid Buu.)

Their goal was not to beat Ginyu up so badly he'd swap with Vegeta and have Goku toss himself in.

Namtab posted:

You're misremembering. What goku said was that he could have beaten fat buu but he wanted the kids to do it instead. Against kid buu he couldn't maintain ss3 so they had to go with the spirit bomb instead

Pretty sure he says it to Vegeta when he says he has to use the spirit bomb but I could be misremembering.

e: Also Kid Buu is weaker than Fat Buu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Their goal was not to beat Ginyu up so badly he'd swap with Vegeta and have Goku toss himself in.

I... guess I'm not sure how you're arguing that as a solo win for Goku considering it was part accident and actively involved Ginyu being distracted fighting someone else while Goku threw a frog.

• Locked thread