Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for linking my spider translation, Silver2195!

Namtab, if you reach the end of those and want to catch up with where most of the discussion is, there's another translator that's blazing through it far more quickly (and far less comprehensibly) than I am: http://turb0translation.blogspot.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

blastron posted:

Thanks for linking my spider translation, Silver2195!

Namtab, if you reach the end of those and want to catch up with where most of the discussion is, there's another translator that's blazing through it far more quickly (and far less comprehensibly) than I am: http://turb0translation.blogspot.com

I'm going to read yours seeing as it reads better although I'm gonna judge you for the banner pic

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Namtab posted:

I'm going to read yours seeing as it reads better although I'm gonna judge you for the banner pic

Uh that spider is kawaii as gently caress don't hate

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Just wanted to thank you as well, blastron. Your translation's quite nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is too bad that I seem to have either already read all of the translated wuxia wn's that aren't by i eat tomatoes (I'm kinda burned out on him) or intensely dull. I guess I'll have to go further afield for my terrible fiction fix.

Edit: I'm not counting the approximately 800 series that only have like 20 chapters done, though I'm sure most of those are also pretty boring.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 17, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ty for translating it blast-chan, i couldnt get into the other one because of the horrendous writing

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Blood 23-25: Mahou Shoujo Sophia experiences genre shift and finds herself in an otome game.

Algid fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 18, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Wow, the Kumo-chan author wrote 6 chapters in the last couple days. Normally he only does 1 or 2 per day.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im glad that not even the book about the girl being a spider is free from being an MMO

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Write what you know, japan

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Kumo-chan is the best adoptive mother.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Still catching up on Kumoko, currently at S-10 (after Ch. 65).
It probably doesn't matter with how crazy things seem to be in the later chapters, but do you ever find out why those monkeys attacked her?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Tamba posted:

Still catching up on Kumoko, currently at S-10 (after Ch. 65).
It probably doesn't matter with how crazy things seem to be in the later chapters, but do you ever find out why those monkeys attacked her?

Yes, the reason is revealed during the Human-Demon Great War, after ch 110.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It is important to test the flavor of your excellent brat as they age.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Excellent brats automatically taste excellent, otherwise they wouldn't be excellent. That being said, it's important to do quality control to ensure that there aren't any non-excellent brats slipping into the herd.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Like wines, excellent brats do get better with age, but there is always the risk of a brat going bad, so continued vigilance is important to maintain quality. After all, nobody likes a spoiled brat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I found a very interesting wuxia cultivation wn. I doubt the story will stay here (and I'm not very far into it), but the current focus is on magical farming which is rad. https://wwyxhqc.wordpress.com/%E4%BF%AE%E7%9C%9F%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C-world-of-cultivation/

Unfortunately, the translation is deliberately bad, what with all of the untranslated terms. Everything else about it is fine, but those wankers who are morally opposed to localizing annoy me.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Wow, you aren't kidding about that translation. Cool concept, but I'd rather not reference 5 untranslated words (with footnotes!) per paragraph.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Having read further, I retract my recommendation. This translation is unreadable once it has to convey anything remotely complex.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I was using aho updates, but novel updates is much nicer, thanks. Plus, it doesn't list blog posts as releases. This one guy seems to have declared himself the grand arbiter of translation ethics and just seeing the titles of his blog posts irritates me.
:salt: https://oniichanyamete.wordpress.com/ :salt:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
You assholes! Who the hell mentioned Kenkyo, Kenjitsu wo Motto ni Ikiteorimasu?

Plodded through the entire thing, and it's wonderfully wonderful, hilarious and charming and cozy. Like the best shoujo manga turned inside out. It's just that when it started in mid-2013, the author posted 225 chapters on a daily basis over the first six months, yet since April of 2014, the remaining 20 chapters have randomly appeared with 1-2 month breaks. The very latest chapter 244 came out in July 2015, and there's seemingly been no sign of life from the author ever since. And the story has a bunch of miles left in it.

This is as bad as getting addicted to HxH!

Someone on 2ch mentioned that Kenkyo was even more of a popularity tornado than Kumoko is these days, in spite of the site having way less visitors back then. Still #2 on the all-time ranking for Narou. So good.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Ah, because I won't be eaten by Master anymore, it might be better.

Good for Vampire baby, bad for Kumo-chan.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Ah, because I won't be eaten by Master anymore, it might be better.

Good for Vampire baby, bad for Kumo-chan.

It's a common rite of passage. A child goes off to school so they can become independent and so that their mother can't get drunk and eat them.

There was a whole lot of hype at the end of the last chapter.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I'm guessing Ruler of Wrath means it's time for hulk smash.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yay, master killer

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Okay, there's a reason nobody's translating Honzuki no Gekokujou: it is loving HUGE. The writing is actually good, and has things like "metaphor" and "imagery" and "tone" which, of course, makes translation harder, and each chapter is probably about 5 times as long as any other web novel I've seen. There's also basically been a chapter a day for three years, so nobody working at any reasonable speed will ever be able to catch up.

What I've been able to get through so far is super interesting, though, so I'm definitely going to work on translating it. Bootstrapping modern technology into pre-industrial civilizations is one of my favorite plots. It's just going to be... slow, especially if I keep up with translating Kumoko at the same time. I'm going to try to get a buffer of maybe 4 or 5 chapters together, and then, assuming I haven't given up by then, start releasing them probably once a week.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

sweet

thanks for the hard work blastron, always cool to check out new and good web novels :3:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Blastron is truly the hero animus don't deserve. Banzai.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, we're pretty much all caught up on Kumoko now, so our daily fix is going to have to drop dramatically. I feel like what we're getting is the last bit of setup before we proceed from the Elf Village battle, and then our storylines are all going to be going at about the same timeframe. We'll probably shift back to Kumoko's perspective when that happens, too.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I took a brief look at the Chinese web novel aimed at the female audience on Baidu. It's just as bad as the male side, only with reincarnation instead of game systems/cultivation bullshit. I really would like to see something interesting, but I guess hoping for quality free literature on the web (the Chinese part at least) is hoping you get the 10% good stuff with Sturgeon's Law when it's the other 90% that's wildly popular due to it being read by people who lacks perspective on what's decent writing.

Seriously, I would like to see a work where a person wins through sheer innovation and cunning instead of just powering through problems because they're either over-leveled or imbalanced. Something like Worm's Taylor Hebert, where they have to munchkin the hell out of what they have to win against people who won the powers lottery.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Coiling dragon is legit good during the parts when Linley is behind the power curve. The rest of the time, though...

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I guess the male web novel writers have power fantasies because that's what they lack, so they write stories with easy to understand power gain mechanics; the female writers on the other hand seems to regret past choices, so they write a lot of reincarnation ones. Who knows, either way having actual meaningful conflict is not something that these writers wish to have in their stories.

E: there/their/they're. Goddammit, I hate missing my own grammar errors.

jwang fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 26, 2015

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

jwang posted:

I guess the male web novel writers have power fantasies because that's what they lack, so they write stories with easy to understand power gain mechanics; the female writers on the other hand seems to regret past choices, so they write a lot of reincarnation ones. Who knows, either way having actual meaningful conflict is not something that these writers wish to have in there stories.

Reincarnation is super popular both for men writers and women writers. Douluo Dalu, BTTH, ATG and a ton more begin with those. Likewise, the specific "assassin reincarnated" is especially popular both with women and men writers.

If there is a big difference, it's how they treat love interests: both have love interests obviously being super pretty (bijoushos...) but women writers tend to have them strong in a relevant ways.

Well, more or less. Descent of the Phoenix still has the love interest be very much token eye candy.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Novel Updates are great. I can go down the list of recent translation updates and check out titles that seems interesting, then go check to see if it's worthwhile. One such story I found really enjoyable was My Father-in-law is Lu Bu. So far I'm 42 chapters in and it's reasonably enjoyable, though I kind of doubt that aluminum armor can actually fend off iron weaponry.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

My father-in-law is Lu Bu's summary posted:

Cosplayer Liu Mang accidentally cross through time and arrived at the Eastern Han Dynasty wearing Aries Gold Cloth.
He arrived on top of the walls of Xiapi right when it was about to fall to Cao Cao.

Hahaha what?

I gotta read this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

I guess the male web novel writers have power fantasies because that's what they lack, so they write stories with easy to understand power gain mechanics; the female writers on the other hand seems to regret past choices, so they write a lot of reincarnation ones. Who knows, either way having actual meaningful conflict is not something that these writers wish to have in there stories.

That is probably true for the people who start those trends, but not necessarily the hordes of imitations. Sure, some of them are probably genuine fans of the more popular authors, but when money is involved others are certainly just following trends.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Yeah, Father-in-Law Lu Bu is actually surprisingly decent despite its quite terrible summary. The protagonist is a weakling when he arrives in the Three Kingdoms era, and it's only because of sheer luck, prior knowledge of history, and superior modern technology that he survives a lot of the time. There's actually some decent enough conflict, instead of just someone power leveling another faction to steamroll over the opposition. Prime example of this is that even with superior cavalry (in terms of both horses and equipment), superior tactics, terrain, and sheer numbers can cause massive problems for the protagonist's side.

By the way, do horses need special training to be used in cavalry? Because I find it hard to believe that modern horses, especially those bred for racing and such, have the temperament or capability to be ridden into combat. Don't they spook easily if they aren't trained?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well it's not so much they spook easily as horses are one of the most profoundly stupid animals on the planet and are fairly death prone if they do......basically anything. You are holding out an apple and the horse is excited and whoops she just tripped over her own feet and snapped her neck. "From the moment horses are born, they spend their entire lives trying to kill themselves" and all that.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I stopped reading Lu Bu when the translator dropped it and an MTLer took over, but then picked it back up when I realized the drop in quality wasn't very significant. Some guy is going over, editing the MTL chapters, but is quite a few chapters behind.

Edit: Also, OSO v7 is being translated now :swoon:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's great news, I'm really looking forward to this one since it looks like the focus is on Taku.

EDIT: One of the things I really like about OSO is how much it emphasizes that the big flashy VR MMO is a game. I can totally believe somebody would rather spend their time hiking through the virtual scenery than trying to get stronger.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread