Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

Stock GTI/Golf-R turbos are Borg Warners. :) Pretty much the newest tech, too.
I work a mile or two from Full Race.

e: gently caress, they are IHIs

Not the MK6s, I've still got the Borg :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Who made the turbos that were grenading on some early MK7 GTIs?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
There are a few companies offering EFR kits for VAG engines as well as different versions of the K03 and K04 as upgrades. Full Race isn't the only supplier of EFRs, they were just a launch partner.

P.S. It's BorgWarner, no spaces.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Styles Bitchley posted:

Who made the turbos that were grenading on some early MK7 GTIs?

IHI. I guess they are still having issues, which is why I am wary about modding it so early.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Movie rights to the scandal have already been snapped up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/12/us-volkswagen-emissions-movie-idUSKCN0S627020151012?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Who are they gonna cast to play me? I hope Leo wants to appear in the movie as well as produce. But I don't think my character will have a meaty role.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Wish I could just propose a book and get a six figure movie deal.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I think I blew up the motor in my 2009 GTI at autocross this past weekend. It was on the first run so it's not like it was getting beat on all day. Four hours of labor at $115 to open up the motor to find out what's wrong seem reasonable? It makes a terrible rattling sound while running so I haven't tried to drive the car since this happened. Definitely isn't the timing belt rattle that is only heard for a second or two at start up. Oil might've been a little low and it might've been bounced off the red line a little bit. No OBDII codes and I don't have access to any kind of VAGCOM scanner. Also any recommendations for shops in the Boston area?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You spun bottom end bearings, time to pony the gently caress up. You can diagnose it by draining the oil and watching glitter pour out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm about to hit 60k anything I needed to do in terms of maintenance? I recently got the spark plugs, oil and air filters changed out. I'm driving an 08' GTI.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

obi_ant posted:

I'm about to hit 60k anything I needed to do in terms of maintenance? I recently got the spark plugs, oil and air filters changed out. I'm driving an 08' GTI.

Due for DSG service if you've got one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

obi_ant posted:

Someone asked the same a month ago. Here's what I said.

Uthor posted:

Brake fluid every 2 years or so. Coolant probably around 60k. I changed the transmission oil and spark plugs at around 75k, though I don't think there's anything specified for those. I'm pretty sure those have a timing chain, so no interval for replacing that, though there might be some inspection that should be preformed.

EXCEPT, the 08 is the year they changed from the FSI to the TSI engine. If you have the FSI, you have a timing belt. That will need to get changed around 90-95k, so a little early for you yet, but something to keep in mind.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Maybe coil packs if you want to head that issue off before it comes up.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

smax posted:

Maybe coil packs if you want to head that issue off before it comes up.

Happened to read about R8 coil packs being "better" and cheaper than the ones on the TSI motor. Any chance they use the same ones for his FSI? $16 a pop according to a YouTube vid I saw.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the reply guys! It looks Iike I'm covered for most of it so it should be a normal oil change. Do you guys know of an app that can "track" the services that I've done?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use aCar to track my maintenance, fuel economy and money spent on my car. It's one of maybe 4 apps I've bought in the past 6 years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I use aCar to track my maintenance, fuel economy and money spent on my car. It's one of maybe 4 apps I've bought in the past 6 years.

Looks like it's only available for Andriod.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

You spun bottom end bearings, time to pony the gently caress up. You can diagnose it by draining the oil and watching glitter pour out.

This is what my engine sounds like: http://picosong.com/Sr4R

So this motor is pretty might completely hosed right?

Anyone know some good places to find a used motor (CBFA specifically)? I've searched all over ebay, Car-part, VW Vortex and GolfMKV. Ebay has motors for $2000 and up and Car-part is a little more expensive. Just hoping to find a cheaper gem somewhere else.

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The news just keeps getting worse for Volkswagen.

The Guardian posted:

US regulators say they have a lot more questions for Volkswagen, triggered by the company’s recent disclosure of additional suspect engineering of 2016 diesel models that potentially would help exhaust systems run cleaner during government tests...

...Volkswagen confirmed to the Associated Press on Tuesday that the “auxiliary emissions control device” at issue operates differently from the “defeat” software included in the company’s 2009 to 2015 models and revealed last month.

The new software was first revealed to Environmental Protection Agency and California regulators on 29 September, prompting the company last week to withdraw applications for approval to sell the 2016 model cars in the US.

“We have a long list of questions for VW about this,” said Janet McCabe, acting assistant EPA administrator for air quality. “We’re getting some answers from them, but we do not have all the answers yet.”

...If EPA rules the new software is a second defeat device specifically aimed at gaming government emissions tests, it would call into question repeated assertions by top VW executives that responsibility for the cheating scheme lay with a handful of rogue software developers who wrote the illegal code installed in prior generations of its four-cylinder diesel engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Good. I'm glad they are calling VW out on laying all the blame with the Software guys. Someone in management knew about this.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Lol sure, rogue engineers. VW you're a bunch of slimy fucks aren't you :allears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hang all management

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

awesome-express posted:

Lol sure, rogue engineers. VW Every Corporate CEO ever you're a bunch of slimy fucks aren't you :allears:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

go3 posted:

hang all management

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

hang all management

Its the only way to be sure.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I read somewhere, and I can't find the link, that Volkswagen is offering a ton of incentives to move cars right now. Like:
125% trade in value
$2k-$4k dealer cash

Any truth to this?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Germany told VW to issue a mandatory recall on 2.4 million VW's. VW expands it to 8.5 million in Europe: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/business/international/volkswagen-germany-recall.html?_r=0

Earlier VW was trying to get away with a voluntary recall, but seems like Germany was having none of that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My 2010 Golf TDI needs a new battery. Any suggestions or should I just stop by Autozone and get whatever fits?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My 2010 Golf TDI needs a new battery. Any suggestions or should I just stop by Autozone and get whatever fits?

Get an AGM of some sort. The extra cranking power, especially as winter rolls around, is worth it

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

CommieGIR posted:

Get an AGM of some sort. The extra cranking power, especially as winter rolls around, is worth it

Thanks. I was already looking to get one of the higher cracking amps batteries, and those are mostly AGM it looks like.

Also, here's a good article about how Europe's bet on Diesel was a mistake.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/9541789/volkswagen-europe-diesel-pollution

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also, here's a good article about how Europe's bet on Diesel was a mistake.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/15/9541789/volkswagen-europe-diesel-pollution

This article is kinda weird. It has a lot of very valid points about how the Diesel industry likely blocked advances and the effects of NOx pollution, but its rather one sided. If the emissions problems of diesel can be solved, its still likely a better bet than gasoline is, and in the short term diesel isn't going anywhere.

But the fact is, the paper highlights one important issue: The Internal Combustion Engine has to change or die. That's really all there is to it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I read somewhere, and I can't find the link, that Volkswagen is offering a ton of incentives to move cars right now. Like:
125% trade in value
$2k-$4k dealer cash

Any truth to this?

Really depends on the dealer. One of the dealers I was looking at for my R sent me an email for that 2000$ incentive. Of course it came with a big *not for the R.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

125% trade in value
$2k-$4k dealer cash

Any truth to this?

there's some sort of national 2k 'loyalty bonus' thing going on, but what you read could have just been one dealer's offer. those "100+XX % trade in" things are common for a lot of dealers, cause it sounds like a good deal but most likely never really is.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

there's some sort of national 2k 'loyalty bonus' thing going on, but what you read could have just been one dealer's offer. those "100+XX % trade in" things are common for a lot of dealers, cause it sounds like a good deal but most likely never really is.

http://www.thedrive.com/article/469/you-should-totally-buy-a-volkswagen-golf-r-right-now

I am considering seeing what they'd offer me for my 09 GTI with something terrible wrong with the engine. Maybe if with the 125% trade in and $2000 loyalty bonus I'd get a decent trade in price for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

http://www.thedrive.com/article/469/you-should-totally-buy-a-volkswagen-golf-r-right-now

I am considering seeing what they'd offer me for my 09 GTI with something terrible wrong with the engine. Maybe if with the 125% trade in and $2000 loyalty bonus I'd get a decent trade in price for it.

I'm somewhat pissed this all happened a few days after I bought my GTI.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

You'd better not let them hear it running before the ink dries on any trade-in offer they give you. How it is, only the 'push, pull & drag it in' lots would touch it.
Not trying to poo poo on you at all, and I don't know your financial situation, but I personally feel like you'd be better off repairing what you've got. Especially if you still owe a lot on it. Check out some threads on Business, Finance & Careers, lest you wind up paying $50,000 for a stripper model Golf.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm somewhat pissed this all happened a few days after I bought my GTI.

Same, I traded my TDI in on the R on July 30th.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

NoWake posted:

You'd better not let them hear it running before the ink dries on any trade-in offer they give you. How it is, only the 'push, pull & drag it in' lots would touch it.
Not trying to poo poo on you at all, and I don't know your financial situation, but I personally feel like you'd be better off repairing what you've got. Especially if you still owe a lot on it. Check out some threads on Business, Finance & Careers, lest you wind up paying $50,000 for a stripper model Golf.

I bought the car cash and owe nothing on it. I work in banking so I certainly understand all the financials of buying a new car and how trade-ins are not great value at what not. My credit score is just shy of 800 so I would at least get a good rate. I also own four cars but need to sell two of them since they are mostly just sitting around. Despite running fine, those two would be much better candidates for a push/pull/drag lot. I'm trying to weigh all my options so it wouldn't hurt to see what a dealer has to offer.

I actually wouldn't hate a stripper model Golf but I'd get it in manual since the regular automatic probably sucks (coming from a DSG). 170 hp can't be THAT much worse than the 200 (stock) my GTI has. Chipped its not far behind the Stage 1 GTI (which I had). It'd also give me a chance to pick up two extra doors and I could even make some extra money doing Uber/Lyft/whatever. I'd also have peace of mind with a new warrantied car. I don't know how the suspension would compare and I know the brakes are considerably worse than the GTI's which I felt were lacking for a "sports" car. I'd miss the heated seats if I got a stripper model but there are some cheap well reviewed heated seat pads on Amazon that could get me through winter.

Going the keep the the current car route: There's a well recommended shop with new motors that come complete with intake manifold, throttle body and turbo for $3800 + $275 shipping from Canada. I got quoted ~$900 for a motor swap locally. So ~$5000 (but really probably a little more) for a brand new motor. I feel like I'll probably end up better off not having anyone even look into the old/current engine. I was quoted 4 hours of labor at $115/hr at the dealership my car is currently parked at. I'm trying to find some local used/rebuilt motors but not coming up with too many choices. Does anyone know if a 2010 CC motor will swap right in? There's one listed on Craigslist for $2400 with exchange and it's the same CBFA engine code. Also found an EOS engine on ebay for $1500 locally. I read that ECU's can be used with other engines as long as you disable the immobilizer so I'd get to keep my Stage 1 tune.

I've been doing a lot of research into this stuff to find a cheaper way but at this point in time there really aren't too many options. The same shop quoted me ~$1300 in labor for a rebuild but piecing together all the internal parts will probably cost more than a used motor. I'm considering pricing out upgraded internals for a rebuild at this point but it's a lot of effort.

Other thoughts: Someone in PA offered me a bottom end from a perfectly fine running motor for $800 (he is swapping in a built engine). It, unfortunately, is the CCTA engine so I can't use the head/whole engine. I think that finding a CBFA head to go with it by itself and from a known good motor will prove to be a bit difficult. There's also a rebuilt CCTA engine some-what locally for $1500 but again wouldn't work for me. Also I think that rebuilding the motor with all new internals would probably end up costing more than a used motor so that's most likely not a great option.

Sorry for the disorganization, I'm a bit sleep deprived as I've spent at least a few hours every day this week doing research on this. I've come to the conclusion that I hate the VW community (online at least). r/VW is terrible it's pretty much all just people saying "Hey check out my new bone stock MK6!"

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 17, 2015

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

veedubfreak posted:

Same, I traded my TDI in on the R on July 30th.

At lest you could trade it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
My audi a4 has a drooping eye. I still love him though.