Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Peebla posted:

my girlfriend is out of town this weekend, for once I don't have any homework or familial obligations or anything of any importance to do for the next day and a half. I am about to go get a pizza and some beer and sit down in front of the television, hopefully not to move for at least twelve hours.

I haven't had a chance to watch anything new on Netflix for the last couple of months and nothing is popping out at me after a brief scroll-through. Can anyone name a couple of badass, violent, mindless, recently-added flicks (or a tv show, I guess) that I can watch half-drunk for the rest of the night? I love martial arts movies and have seen most of the standard macho action movie fare. Sci-fi, western, weird Korean police thriller, whatever. I don't mind seeing something I haven't seen for a while so it doesn't have to be brand new, but for whatever reason I don't just feel like watching my copies of Total Recall and The Raid: Redemption for the hundredth time. Thanks for any recommendations.

Hot Fuzz, which is as brainless or smart as you want it to be.
Re-Animator is a fun horror-comedy with lots of gore and nudity
The Punisher is up again, it's a solid violent half-drunk watch
Snowpiercer is divisive, but it's unique, stylish, and extremely political if that's your bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Peebla posted:

my girlfriend is out of town this weekend, for once I don't have any homework or familial obligations or anything of any importance to do for the next day and a half. I am about to go get a pizza and some beer and sit down in front of the television, hopefully not to move for at least twelve hours.

I haven't had a chance to watch anything new on Netflix for the last couple of months and nothing is popping out at me after a brief scroll-through. Can anyone name a couple of badass, violent, mindless, recently-added flicks (or a tv show, I guess) that I can watch half-drunk for the rest of the night? I love martial arts movies and have seen most of the standard macho action movie fare. Sci-fi, western, weird Korean police thriller, whatever. I don't mind seeing something I haven't seen for a while so it doesn't have to be brand new, but for whatever reason I don't just feel like watching my copies of Total Recall and The Raid: Redemption for the hundredth time. Thanks for any recommendations.

The Daredevil series if you havent seen it yet.

Also, New World

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Peebla posted:

Sense8 Not mindless. but has some great action after a really slow start. Never mind, half-drunk is not the way to watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Have you seen Ip Man?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sense8 Not mindless. but has some great action after a really slow start. Never mind, half-drunk is not the way to watch it.

Yeah you really need some good acid or a whole liter of vodka, no half measures.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
Goddamn bronze hat formation! how can any Kung-fu practicioner fight with all that light in his eyes? Those tricky loving ninjas better get what's coming to them before this night is over.

5 Elements Ninjas is an amazing start to my night. thanks for the recommendation. I'm still deciding what comes next, but you guys have thrown a lot of great options out there.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just search Jason Statham and watch them all

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hot Fuzz, which is as brainless or smart as you want it to be.
Re-Animator is a fun horror-comedy with lots of gore and nudity
The Punisher is up again, it's a solid violent half-drunk watch
Snowpiercer is divisive, but it's unique, stylish, and extremely political if that's your bag

I loved Hot Fuzz when I first saw it. Went back to it last week and it was unwatchable. I guess in my head I was remembering it being more like In Bruges but the way it's shot was like neausiating.

Just finished Beasts of No Nation. Pretty good

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedy films ever made.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya wtf

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Man From Nowhere is the gold standard for action thrillers, for me at least.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I loved Hot Fuzz when I first saw it. Went back to it last week and it was unwatchable. I guess in my head I was remembering it being more like In Bruges but the way it's shot was like neausiating.

The hell? Hot Fuzz is amazing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Thats odd, I watched it again just recently and it was still awesome.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Btw to the dude that liked Five Elements Ninjas, watch Crippled Avengers next.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedy films ever made.

yarp.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is What We do in the Shadows available to rent anywhere? All I can find is a buy option and it's been out for months.

I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks funny as gently caress.

Edit: Oh wow it went up on UK netflix this week, but the US gets nothing. That sucks!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 17, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

'the one i love' is loving insane

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think Hot Fuzz is a next-level comedy, but i can totally see how it would be grating to some people.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Is What We do in the Shadows available to rent anywhere? All I can find is a buy option and it's been out for months.

I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks funny as gently caress.

Edit: Oh wow it went up on UK netflix this week, but the US gets nothing. That sucks!

I remember seeing it just last night.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think Hot Fuzz is a next-level comedy, but i can totally see how it would be grating to some people.

I feel like you can say this about most really good movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Short Penguin posted:

I remember seeing it just last night.

Are you in the US with a U.S. Account? Says disc only for me.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Hot fuzz does do a triple-cut-film-fade effect which goes about 15% too over the top in the action sequences. But I love the movie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think it's funny as hell but glad to see someone understands how it could be obnoxious too.

Going in expecting In Bruges would be a disaster of course. In Bruges is excellent, but very much its' own thing. Man, that's a good film.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't think Hot Fuzz and Sean of the Dead and that other one were bad but I also don't think they are the height of comedy like some people. They just kind of exist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I feel like you can say this about most really good movies.

well, most comedies anyway. comedy's the most subjective genre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think Hot Fuzz and Sean of the Dead and that other one were bad but I also don't think they are the height of comedy like some people. They just kind of exist.

Hot Fuzz isn't great because it's merely funny (though it is that), it's great because of how ridiculously immaculate the presentation is. It does satire so subtly and so well that it could be read as not even being a satire at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like Hot Fuzz but subtle is not a word I'd use to describe it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hot Fuzz is easily one of the best comedies of the past decade and it's held up marvelously on every rewatch I've given it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

I like Hot Fuzz but subtle is not a word I'd use to describe it

The satire is subtle, especially if you've not seen some of the films it references. The actual script has a lot of stuff that is not at all subtle, like Dalton's entire character, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hot Fuzz is easily one of the best comedies of the past decade and it's held up marvelously on every rewatch I've given it.

:yeah:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision posted:

Hot Fuzz isn't great because it's merely funny (though it is that), it's great because of how ridiculously immaculate the presentation is. It does satire so subtly and so well that it could be read as not even being a satire at all.

It wastes almost no space because every moment of the film is moving the story along, setting up a joke, or playing out a punchline. It's not really subtle, but rather very dense and loaded. It's also well-shot, and I can count the number of good-looking comedies I've seen on one hand.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It wastes almost no space because every moment of the film is moving the story along, setting up a joke, or playing out a punchline. It's not really subtle, but rather very dense and loaded. It's also well-shot, and I can count the number of good-looking comedies I've seen on one hand.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at, it's one of those films that has no fat to trim, every frame is crucial and every line of dialogue has like four different meanings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There are tons of jokes in Hot Fuzz that you'll just outright miss if you're not paying full attention. It's crazy how dense that movie is.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I didn't really like sean of the dead so I wasn't super hyped for hot fuzz, but holy gently caress is that movie great. It can make you laugh with an edit or a zoom on top of having a great script, it's one of the best movies ever made, I'm not even gonna qualify it with comedy. It's just great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

it's one of the best movies ever made, I'm not even gonna qualify it with comedy.

it's almost certainly in my top 10 of the '00s

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hot Fuzz is one of the best plotted films ever. It's so well put together.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yarp.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hot Fuzz is one of the best plotted films ever. It's so well put together.

Every single part of the climactic action sequence contains a visual gag that was set up in the first half of the movie. I can't think of another comedy that is so painstakingly crafted.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The only Edgar Wright film I project that didn't blow me away was World's End, and that was out of disappointment of it merely being good. I feel like he set up an impossible task of satisfactorily wrapping up a three film series where the first two were just so damned great.

I'll qualify Scott Pilgrim inasmuch as I was expecting to hate it and had a great time. I almost don't want to watch it a second time.

e: I watched Spaced again recently, and I guess I don't think it's aged very well. Still a good time, though, and head and shoulders over any slacker comedy of that era.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DangerDummy! posted:

The only Edgar Wright film I project that didn't blow me away was World's End, and that was out of disappointment of it merely being good. I feel like he set up an impossible task of satisfactorily wrapping up a three film series where the first two were just so damned great.

I'll qualify Scott Pilgrim inasmuch as I was expecting to hate it and had a great time. I almost don't want to watch it a second time.

e: I watched Spaced again recently, and I guess I don't think it's aged very well. Still a good time, though, and head and shoulders over any slacker comedy of that era.

Scott Pilgrim absolutely holds up if you liked it the first time. Same as most Wright movies, you catch a lot of things you missed the first time.