Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel
May 2, 2009

I don't get it. Why would anyone want that job. "Seeking workers. The pay is bad, the temperature is freezing, the locality is away from everyone and everything you know, the internet is more than terrible, the systems you'll have to manage are bad and government run so you can't upgrade them, it takes months to get deliveries and packages, we don't allow you to bring friends or family, it's also potentially dangerous. Any takers??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jewel posted:

I don't get it. Why would anyone want that job. "Seeking workers. The pay is bad, the temperature is freezing, the locality is away from everyone and everything you know, the internet is more than terrible, the systems you'll have to manage are bad and government run so you can't upgrade them, it takes months to get deliveries and packages, we don't allow you to bring friends or family, it's also potentially dangerous. Any takers??"

It would be a hell of an adventure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A ticket came in today...

"Hi I'm one of the artists for the game Grim Fandango and I want to purchase your services"

:magical:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jewel posted:

Counterpoint: Penguins.

Oh and seals too. :3:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Jewel posted:

Because you get to do what very few people have done?

Weird that the sense of adventure has been bred out of people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The sense of adventure has mostly been replaced by the urge not to starve to death in a frozen hellhole because the people supplying you forgot that month.
If something hasn't been done very often in this day and age, there's probably a reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Why would you want to golf on the moon? It'd be like golfing in a giant sand trap while wearing deep sea scuba gear.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The sense of adventure has mostly been replaced by the urge not to starve to death in a frozen hellhole because the people supplying you forgot that month.
If something hasn't been done very often in this day and age, there's probably a reason.

I mean I love The Thing too but there's ~1000 people living just at McMurdo, and short of getting drunk and passing out outside, there's nothing that particularly dangerous abut being there. Average lows this time of year are only -10F. It was -40F last winter here in Michigan.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We're discussing McMurdo, not the South Pole base :v:

(South Pole is actually heavily stocked before Winter sets in, due to the fact that they basically cannot fly in or out of the area during winter other than for 100% emergencies and even then it's a "well hopefully we can make it soon" type deal)

Unsurprisingly, the people who run these bases have seem to have thought these things through!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A ticket came in today...

"Hi I'm one of the artists for the game Grim Fandango and I want to purchase your services"

:magical:

:frogon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't think I'm very adventurous and I would totally want to give the South Pole stuff a shot I think.

It's not like they're still living in quonset huts down there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Basically he called in to purchase an online backup service, I was helping the newbies/lower tier out with calls, and I picked him up after he was talking to sales.

Got him started on the product, installed it for him, noticed he had some art open in photoshop, whatever version they use now. I go "are you an artist" and he goes something like "yeah I've done some work, like the background art in Grim Fandango"

My enthusiasm was not curbed, and I said something (in retrospect, I hope I did, and not something with expletives) of the effect of "Oh my god no way" a bit louder than I probably should have. He started talking about how he knows Tim Shafer personally and we talked about telltale and bioware and Deus Ex.

He was also like "hey if you're ever in the area, you have my number right?" (related to getting a job in game development), to which I was like "uh yeah, sure, the system has your number :ninja: "

He was pretty cool and even knew linux so I didn't have to dumb anything down for him. Made my day.

I can't confirm or deny I didn't write down his information.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

http://www.netflix.com/watch/80018331

Watch this and see if you still want to go.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ConfusedUs posted:

It would be a hell of an adventure.
There's also cheap booze.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Antarctica would probably get old quick but if I was young and single it would be cool for a few months.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Basically he called in to purchase an online backup service, I was helping the newbies/lower tier out with calls, and I picked him up after he was talking to sales.

Got him started on the product, installed it for him, noticed he had some art open in photoshop, whatever version they use now. I go "are you an artist" and he goes something like "yeah I've done some work, like the background art in Grim Fandango"

My enthusiasm was not curbed, and I said something (in retrospect, I hope I did, and not something with expletives) of the effect of "Oh my god no way" a bit louder than I probably should have. He started talking about how he knows Tim Shafer personally and we talked about telltale and bioware and Deus Ex.

He was also like "hey if you're ever in the area, you have my number right?" (related to getting a job in game development), to which I was like "uh yeah, sure, the system has your number :ninja: "

He was pretty cool and even knew linux so I didn't have to dumb anything down for him. Made my day.

I can't confirm or deny I didn't write down his information.

That is awesome, and I admit that I'm a little jealous.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sirotan posted:

I actually got an interview for this a few years ago before my current gig. They specifically ask you if you like penguins, and any answer other than 'ehh, happy feet was ok, I guess?' gets you on the 'maybe, edging towards no' list. Apparently they have to deal with some people who are really enthusiastic about penguins trying to get jobs there.

I ended up passing because a better job fell into my lap, and it turns out that trying for three days to get by on dialup grade internet was very much like a heroin addict giving up that sweet sweet tar.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are going to take a job with extremely limited internet access you can make a lot more as a contractor for the state dept overseas. Antarctica would be a unique experience though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lampey posted:

If you are going to take a job with extremely limited internet access you can make a lot more as a contractor for the state dept overseas. Antarctica would be a unique experience though.
RIP Vilerat

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure he had extremely unlimited internet access

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Given that he was chatting with a few of us when Benghazi happened... yes.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

please please open your dumb troll mouth on this subject :allears:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LethalGeek posted:

please please open your dumb troll mouth on this subject :allears:

FireSight posted:

Given that he was chatting with a few of us when Benghazi happened... yes.

^ He had enough bandwidth for casual usage and MMOs, that's kind of the opposite of how little bandwidth/latency there'd be available on the South Pole?

The hell are you so hostile for?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Possibly because his death might be a sore subject for some and they're feeling you're treating it in a flippant manner?

Whether or not you meant to, it came across that way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

McNally posted:

Possibly because his death might be a sore subject for some and they're feeling you're treating it in a flippant manner?

Whether or not you meant to, it came across that way.

How the hell did you get that from "I'm pretty sure he had extremely unlimited internet access"? Considering he worked for the State Dept, that's not an unreasonable statement.

Holy poo poo goons.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

quote is not edit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please be respectful on these forums

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 19, 2015

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I was enlisted in the USMC working with some contractors for the navy, state dept and other agencies. State dept guys got paid the best but they were all making 150k+ in afg. If you are going to be in some desolate place you might as well come back with a lot of cash. Or you can live a normal life somewhere with internet access, normal food and family.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

We need a server which run both IIS and IE8. The initial request was for a Windows 7 Pro VM, but licensing issues will prevent this OS from servicing this need. IE8 is the key requirement for this box because it's providing PDF conversion services using a legacy tool. This tool depends upon IE8 to create pdf files.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Can we please rewrite the loving tool then? IE8 can eat poo poo.

This is assuming you can't just use another tool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You know what isn't worth exta $$$? Living in a war zone.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sickening posted:

Generally you're not actually living *in* the war zone. More like right next to it.

How is it any different than living in the suburbs of, say, Detroit?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

McNally posted:

Generally you're not actually living *in* the war zone. More like right next to it.

Sharia law is an actual thing in one of them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

McNally posted:

Detroit would be a nicer place to stay for one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KoRMaK posted:

Sharia law is an actual thing in one of them.

Yeah, that article was satire.

Sickening posted:

Wasn't actually a war zone when he went there, but risk of sketchy posting is kind of part and parcel of being part of the state dept. It was like someone from this thread working for State.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
nvm

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Sickening posted:

Less sand, true. Probably same level of infrastructure though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sickening posted:

You are doing this backwards.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Raerlynn posted:

Locals just as welcoming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Raerlynn posted:

You'd have to deal with Detroit's super lovely intersection design however :

Just examine it for a bit, look for the stoplights, and imagine trying to understand how you're not going to get hit driving through it. There are u-turns in this mix too.

• Locked thread