Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rib Mountain by Garrett, on Flickr

Parfrey's Glen by Garrett, on Flickr

First shots I've taken in like 5 months. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shell Lubricants by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

MrBlandAverage posted:

Because my first thought was "why isn't the guy in focus?"

I mean that's fair, I just saw that he was wearing dark clothing and I wanted him to appear more as a shadow than a guy that's hiking.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

huhu posted:

Would you, or anyone else, have any tips on how to shoot lights like this without them turning to complete white? I've tried to recreate shots like this several times with no luck.

It's probably a situation where you want to shoot in manual or at least meter off of the lights.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Piazza San Pietro by alkanphel, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

huhu posted:

Would you, or anyone else, have any tips on how to shoot lights like this without them turning to complete white? I've tried to recreate shots like this several times with no luck.

Definitely use manual mode, checking exif I shot that at ISO 400, F13, for 1.6s. When I do night shots most of the time I shoot at ISO 400 and rarely expose for more than 2-3 seconds to keep my highlights from clipping. After that it's just about bringing out shadow detail and lowering color temp.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

RangerScum posted:

Definitely use manual mode, checking exif I shot that at ISO 400, F13, for 1.6s. When I do night shots most of the time I shoot at ISO 400 and rarely expose for more than 2-3 seconds to keep my highlights from clipping. After that it's just about bringing out shadow detail and lowering color temp.

or shoot with Portra 400

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Pukestain Pal posted:

or shoot with Portra 400

That was suggested previously. As always, thank you for your quality posting.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

RangerScum posted:

That was suggested previously. As always, thank you for your quality posting.

that was the joke.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pukestain Pal posted:

that was the joke.

Much like your posting :v:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

RangerScum posted:

After that it's just about bringing out shadow detail and lowering color temp.

So what you're saying is not to shoot with a canon

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I see a book in your future.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

I see a book in your future.

Hm?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Too Much Water (San Marcos, Guatemala) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Forbidden by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Forsaken by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

lovin this

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
There is a lot of really high quality stuff in this thread in general, very impressed.

Daytona Beach, FL by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Hollow Tree Road by alex gard, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So the results of the second year of USA Landscape Photographer of the Year have been revealed. I recall last year the reception here was rather cool; the aesthetic style is definitely closer to popular-on-500px than posted-in-this-thread and some of them are HDR-vomit.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 18, 2015

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those sure are some landscapes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I recall last year the reception here was rather cool; the aesthetic style is definitely closer to popular-on-500px than posted-in-this-thread and some of them are too close to HDR-vomit.
Definitely closer? You mean it is.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Great capture. Did you happen to do any with a different focal point or more depth of field? I know it's what you were going for, but I can't help but feel like the choice of focus draws the eye away from the centre, sort of like it's fighting for attention against all the interest in the middle/background.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Great capture. Did you happen to do any with a different focal point or more depth of field? I know it's what you were going for, but I can't help but feel like the choice of focus draws the eye away from the centre, sort of like it's fighting for attention against all the interest in the middle/background.

Thanks but unfortunately that's the only one I shot of that scene. The contrast of exposure between the foreground and background was rather challenging.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

alkanphel posted:

Definitely closer? You mean it is.
I've corrected my post!

It's interesting. The competition is run by Charlie Waite who a decade ago created 'Landscape Photographer of the Year' which has become the UK's premier landscape competition, yet that isn't plagued by excess HDR. Clearly the american judges have terrible taste...

This is the image that won the UK competition last year. (I think this year's winner might be in today's papers)

A Beginning and an End by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

So the results of the second year of USA Landscape Photographer of the Year have been revealed. I recall last year the reception here was rather cool; the aesthetic style is definitely closer to popular-on-500px than posted-in-this-thread and some of them are HDR-vomit.

Yeah, a lot of those photos are way overdone, to the point where they lose any personality they might have had.

It's enough that I decided to upload an unprocessed photo:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

dope as heck

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Aw why not, another for good measure.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I thought I was done with car parks... then they went and built a new one just up the road from me.

Sutherland by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr