Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Some zoo pics I forgot I had:

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Korsspindel by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 23, 2015

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
A couple zoo shots. I'm new to photography, my primary concern is that I'm overdoing these in post. Any advice?

IMG_9859-1 by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr

IMG_9584-1 by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr

Poor guy. by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

InternetJunky posted:

Some zoo pics I forgot I had:

These are all great but this one in particular is fantastic.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Roger Troutman posted:

These are all great but this one in particular is fantastic.
Thanks.

Roger Troutman posted:

A couple zoo shots. I'm new to photography, my primary concern is that I'm overdoing these in post. Any advice?

IMG_9859-1 by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr

IMG_9584-1 by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr

Poor guy. by Jeremy Sparks, on Flickr
I'm probably the wrong person to give advice on this since I'm heavy-handed with my post work as well, but I don't see any issues with your shots. They look great to me.

Speaking of over-doing post work, here's a vole (I think):

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would crop it down a bit, at least trim off those leaves on the left.

And I don't know if the darkness is the original is underexposed or you did it in post but it's way over the top. It's in sunlight, it should look like sun.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

xzzy posted:

I would crop it down a bit, at least trim off those leaves on the left.

And I don't know if the darkness is the original is underexposed or you did it in post but it's way over the top. It's in sunlight, it should look like sun.
The original was certainly much lighter, but the setting was in a very dark forest and the vole happened to be in a beam of light coming through the trees, so I was trying to exaggerate that effect by making everything much darker except the vole and his light beam. In that context I'm not sure if your comment means I succeeded in the effect I wanted or failed miserably.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I was trying to exaggerate that effect by making everything much darker except the vole and his light beam.

The problem, for me, is that the vole and his light beam still look dark.

The grey boxes under "Color Picker" is the color of the blown out-fur on the vole's back. Ideally you wouldn't want it to be blown out, but if it is, you don't want to darken it to gray. Any blown out highlights should just be left white. You can't recover any detail anyway.

Then the rest of the histogram shows that no pixels are brighter than about 148 out of 255. Obviously this is going to be subjective, but if you want the image of an illuminated vole against a dark background, you're going to want more pixels to be brighter, while keeping the background dark.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

The problem, for me, is that the vole and his light beam still look dark.

The grey boxes under "Color Picker" is the color of the blown out-fur on the vole's back. Ideally you wouldn't want it to be blown out, but if it is, you don't want to darken it to gray. Any blown out highlights should just be left white. You can't recover any detail anyway.

Then the rest of the histogram shows that no pixels are brighter than about 148 out of 255. Obviously this is going to be subjective, but if you want the image of an illuminated vole against a dark background, you're going to want more pixels to be brighter, while keeping the background dark.
Very helpful and it makes perfect sense, thanks!

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I'm pretty sure these don't count as "wild" and I doubt they were alive for very much longer after I left, but I think it still makes for an interesting photo about animals so here goes.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is there going to be a followup shot in the food photography thread?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Took a trip to the Granby zoo in Quebec.

Gorilla by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

long hair colobus by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Red Panda by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Jellyfish by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Lemur 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

-CHA fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 1, 2015

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Cows in a field-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this but "zooming with your feet" thing holds true so I chose here. Thoughts on the one cow turned sideways? At first I was pissed he wasn't facing straight on but then I felt maybe it added to the shot.

Also any thoughts on editing would be appreciated. Here's the original:
wildlife-maybe 02 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

huhu posted:

Thoughts on the one cow turned sideways? At first I was pissed he wasn't facing straight on but then I felt maybe it added to the shot.

It's not so much that he's turned sideways but that he's making GBS threads which distracts me. Other than that it's a fairly photogenic bunch of cows and your editing makes it pop a bit more than the original while looking natural. I'd probably crop out slightly more of the grass and bring the cows lower in the frame, but that's my preference.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

-CHA posted:

Took a trip to the Granby zoo in Quebec.

Jellyfish by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

The gorilla is a powerful shot. Cloning out the grass stalks would be pretty simple and really help draw focus to the eyes. The jellyfish is another great shot -- great colours and it has a very serene feel to it. I'd be tempted to dim the bright white patch that's at the bottom left however.

huhu posted:

Cows in a field-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this but "zooming with your feet" thing holds true so I chose here. Thoughts on the one cow turned sideways? At first I was pissed he wasn't facing straight on but then I felt maybe it added to the shot.

Also any thoughts on editing would be appreciated. Here's the original:
wildlife-maybe 02 by Esa Foto, on Flickr
Why not just switch to an 8x10 crop and trim out everything left of the wrong-facing cow? I tried it quickly and think it really works well. Having all the cows face the same direction really makes the shot I think.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

InternetJunky posted:

The gorilla is a powerful shot. Cloning out the grass stalks would be pretty simple and really help draw focus to the eyes. The jellyfish is another great shot -- great colours and it has a very serene feel to it. I'd be tempted to dim the bright white patch that's at the bottom left however.

I wasn't really sure on what sort of post editing I wanted to do to them, so I just sort of left them alone. I will run them through photoshop and take care of those spots. On the jellyfish one, I'm also thinking of dimming the bright spot on the upper right a bit to help define the outline of the jellyfish more.

Just a couple more from the zoo that I have been playing around with.

Green Basilisk by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Elephant 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Edit: Fixed photo.

Thanks for the advice, this looks much better.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 31, 2015

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Ljungdalen by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

A few reindeers. A free roaming herd, belonging to the Sami people in Sápmi area of northern Sweden.

The goats ran into the house taking shelter from the rain.

erephus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 1, 2015

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Here's some glamour shots of rodents:

Yellowpine Chipmunk by No Small Wave, on Flickr

Golden-mantle Ground Squirrel by No Small Wave, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 6, 2015

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This one seems to me to have a magenta cast to it. I find AWB in greenish nature areas tends to do that. Not sure if that's what happened here.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

It's not so much that he's turned sideways but that he's making GBS threads which distracts me. Other than that it's a fairly photogenic bunch of cows and your editing makes it pop a bit more than the original while looking natural. I'd probably crop out slightly more of the grass and bring the cows lower in the frame, but that's my preference.

Good eyes. Did not notice that at all.

Thanks for the advice:
cows-revisited-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Fart Amplifier posted:

This one seems to me to have a magenta cast to it. I find AWB in greenish nature areas tends to do that. Not sure if that's what happened here.

Huh, yeah it does. Fixed it and edited my post. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice the cast. I use Canon's DPP to convert from RAW and their white balance tool is a sack of garbage so I usually fix it in photoshop. When I convert in Adobe RAW the white balance is easy to adjust and you can see at a glance if its green or magenta shifted out of the camera. Unfortunately, Adobe RAW is poo poo (comparatively) for noise management, detail, and gradient smoothness so I end up using DPP most of the time. Thanks for the heads up.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

seal in the san juan islands

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Not sure why I got this type of brushed metal bokeh, but I don't mind it in this case:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I see your amazing desert animals and present to you... sheep.

(and seals)

Kaikoura by Hannah, on Flickr

Kaikoura by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_8170 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_8091 by Hannah, on Flickr

(That's my gopro, later on I put it in the water to get footage of the seals swimming, and this little guy (or girl) swam up to it and stole it for a second, before realizing it wasn't food I guess and letting it drop)

IMG_8234 by Hannah, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Pictures of non-birds from my birding trip to McAllen, TX, from Sept 17th-21st

my Tamron 150-600mm is having focus issues :(

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Pictures of non-birds from my birding trip to McAllen, TX, from Sept 17th-21st

my Tamron 150-600mm is having focus issues :(

Sorry about the focus issues. I know what that's like - I recently had to start using the AF micro adjust function on my 5D to get decently in-focus shots with my longer telephoto lenses. I don't know if it's my camera, or if both my long lenses are getting worn out :(

But regardless, there are some cool photos in this set. Is that a brown anole? We only have the green variety up a few hours north.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Went to the zoo this past weekend. While my wife was playing with her 5ds, I took the 70D and slapped on our 150-500 sigma making it an effective 240-800, reach out and touch someone! All handheld, and that lens isn't the sharpest but I think I got a pretty decent batch.

(Really like this next shot but because it was through a fence it has some weirdness that I haven't been able to get out. Any advice on how to post that out?)

Played with the colors on this a bit trying to get the glass haze out, it's better than it was but still not great. I love the pose, though. Should I just be going to B&W at this point here or is there some color correction techniques that can save stuff like this?

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 30, 2015

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Anubis posted:

(Really like this next shot but because it was through a fence it has some weirdness that I haven't been able to get out. Any advice on how to post that out?)

Curves layer (and maybe a smidge of warmth) in Photoshop to boost the contrast a little bit, and just paint it over any hazy spots caused by the mesh. Not going to be perfect, but will help a little.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thought this came out looking kind of neat

Deer by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A few from the Woodland Park Zoo here in Seattle last week...

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Got to meet Joel Sartore yesterday. He was in town as the keynote speaker for one of our big conservation donor banquets and opted to do squeeze in some photo shoots for his Photo Ark project. Hung out with him all afternoon while he took photos of a pair of our black lemurs. Nice guy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Category winners of this year's Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...onment_b-gdneco

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Found a couple bucks battling tonight

Bucks Fighting by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not my photo, but the one that was awarded Wildlife Photographer of the Year.

A tale of two foxes by Don Gutoski

The rest of the photos (category winners and finalists) can be found at http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/wpy/gallery/2015/index.html. As always, there's a few I'm not sure about but overall I reckon it's a good year. I'm particularly taken with the winner of the underwater category.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I like the comments from crazy people.

quote:

Sorry to say, this is not a picture I would have picked of a pretty animal being killed. Disappointed in judges decision!!!! Giving a life is nothing to win a prize over even if an animal!!!!!! Made me sick first time I saw it. Pick something more beautiful and pleasant next time!!!!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Wildlife photography can only be beautiful and pleasant, like nature always is.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

From now on I only take wildlife pictures of lions committing infanticide. GOTTA WIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not my photo, but the one that was awarded Wildlife Photographer of the Year.

A tale of two foxes by Don Gutoski

The rest of the photos (category winners and finalists) can be found at http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit/wpy/gallery/2015/index.html. As always, there's a few I'm not sure about but overall I reckon it's a good year. I'm particularly taken with the winner of the underwater category.

The plant photos on here all seem super generic and plain.

is there a way to make this site less slow?