Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

drrockso20 posted:

hopefully the new seasons won't be filled up with old unused scripts from earlier seasons spruced up slightly to be used(seriously I think this is why they got rid of Jeff for a while, so they could use some old unused scripts from before he and Hayley got hitched with as minimal alterations as possible, definitely explains certain other weird characterizations that were in those episodes, even when taking into account the show's continuity and consistency getting worse and worse as the seasons go by), cause man was a large chunk of the first TBS season rather dire(especially American Fung, which might just be one of the worst things I've seen on TV in a long time)

American Fung has to be the worse episode of American Dad. I literally can't think of another episode of AD that comes close to its shittyness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

American Fung has to be the worse episode of American Dad. I literally can't think of another episode of AD that comes close to its shittyness.

My Morning Straightjacket?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

McPhearson posted:

There we go.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Irish Joe posted:

How to Use You're and Your

Mistaking "you're" for "your" - or vice versa - is a common writing error most people have made at least once. It is also a grammatical mistake that can be disproportionately irritating and confusing for the reader. Fortunately, once you know how to differentiate the two, you'll hardly ever mix them up ever again.

1. Understand the proper usage of the word you need. The best way to do that is to sound it out. There is a replacement test that will tell you for certain which word will fit. Read the sentence with you are in place of where the your/you're is intended. If it makes sense, then you're would be right. If not, then your would fit. You could also replace your with my in the sentence. If it fits, then use your.

2. Create a mnemonic to help you distinguish between the words. A mnemonic is a device that helps you remember something. You may find a mnemonic helpful when remembering the difference between you're and your. Elements such as parallelism and vivid imagery are usually effective mnemonic tools.

Consider the sentence "If you're writing it you're, you're writing it right." You are doing something when you write, and thus the contraction you're is correct.
You could also try something like the sentence "Your Outraged Unicorns Race," where the first letter of each word spells out the correct usage. Because the unicorns belong to you, they're your unicorns.

3. Write you're as a contraction or a combination of the words you and are. Other examples of contractions include doesn't for does not, they're for they are, and can't for cannot.

"You're a good friend" means "You are a good friend."
"I don't know what you're talking about" means "I do not know what you are talking about."

4. Remember that you're is actually a combination of two words. It thus fulfills two very important roles in a sentence or clause. Because it includes both a pronoun and a verb, you're will always be the subject and at least part of the verb of any clause in which it appears.

5. Write your as the possessive form of you. The possessive form refers to something that a person has, something that belongs to the person in question, or the person you are talking to. Your reflects ownership, as in "yours, mine, and ours".

"Is your stomach growling?"
"Your book is on the table."

6. Remember that the word your will usually not be followed by an adjective. In most cases, your will not be followed by an adjective (a word that describes something) when that adjective is describing the person that you are talking to.

In other words, saying "Your very kind" will almost never be correct. "Your very kind" would only be correct if someone were describing a noun, as in "Your nice son brought me my coat." Here, your nice is correct because nice is describing the person's son.

7. Take a look at some examples. Each of the following examples shows an incorrect use of your/you're, and why it is incorrect.

"I can't read you're handwriting."
Incorrect, because the contraction for you are is being used in place of the possessive form of you. "I can't read you are handwriting"' doesn't make sense. It should be replaced with your.

"If your hungry, then you should probably eat something."
Incorrect because there is no possession in question. You can be hungry, but in English you don't possess hunger. This passes the replacement test. Rewriting it with you are fits. Your should be replaced here with you're, or you are.

"I think your very smart."
Again, incorrect. The "very smart" does not belong to the person that you are talking to — this doesn't make any sense. Replace your with you're, or you are.

"I'm smarter than you're"
Correct, because the contraction for you are has been used in place of the possessive form of you. However, this unconventional usage is likely to confuse people, so avoid ending a sentence with you're even if it's grammatically correct.

Wow, now he's gonna need this:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McPhearson posted:

That was bad but I think American Fung may have been worse. It really ran the same joke into the ground to an insane degree, and honestly that joke wasn't that funny to begin with.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

At first I thought this one was the ANYONE HAVE ANY RAUNCH CODES episode but oh no

I remember now

oh no

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The worst part of American Fung is that it had potential to be a really solid episode, but it's unbearably bad. Just went to iMDB to specifically give it a 1/10 rating (it averages 3.8 at the moment).

Also exclusive to iMDB is this episode description for 12x01 in broken English!

quote:

Jeff goes out with another women and Stan goes undercover and he spot him with a new girl and she tells Hayley that Jeff ditches her and Hayley goes bananas.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Everyone always mentions My Morning Straightjacket as being the worst episode ever, but I thought it was alright. Had a pretty solid plot, awesome visuals when Stan dreams, Zach Galifianakis as Norman, an Almost Famous parody, a glimpse into Francine's past, and was just well-rounded. Yeah, it's a weird vehicle to whore a band out to since one of the writers wanted it, but it's not as bad as the Internet says it is. "Spider say BURP!"

Then again, I also think Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was just unnecessarily dumb and boring while the Internet raves about it. Oh, goody, a straightforward homage (parody?) to August: Osage County presented at a local community theater level. How exciting :geno:

But yes, American Fung was loving dumb and terrible as all hell.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just irrationally hate My Morning Straightjacket because BBC3 (the channel that shows American Dad in the UK) shows an episode of American Dad every night and it seems like they have to show that episode twice a week or so.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I actually liked MMJ, and I didn't really feel like American Fung was the trainwreck everyone says it was either.

The real answer for worst episode of AD would have to be one of the really early ones, back when they were still trying to be "political Family Guy".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

HorseRenoir posted:

I actually liked MMJ, and I didn't really feel like American Fung was the trainwreck everyone says it was either.

The real answer for worst episode of AD would have to be one of the really early ones, back when they were still trying to be "political Family Guy".

The episode where Trump would show up whenever somebody said "You're fired" was the most FG-ish. The show was able to find its footing rather quickly after that.

Their Christmas shows are usually much better than FG's road shows. I don't think FG could have pulled off the experimental episodes like the stage play or Steve in space ep.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I just irrationally hate My Morning Straightjacket because BBC3 (the channel that shows American Dad in the UK) shows an episode of American Dad every night and it seems like they have to show that episode twice a week or so.

BBC3 seem to run The One That Got Away all the time. Someone has a serious hardon for that episode.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The_Doctor posted:

BBC3 seem to run The One That Got Away all the time. Someone has a serious hardon for that episode.

To be fair, at least that's a great episode.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm not a huge MMJ fan but I like some of their songs. I thought the episode was pretty decent honestly until around the end. The idea of MMJ playing a giant stadium is a bit funny. After they go and try to meet the leader singer, it loses it for me. Otherwise, it's not as bad as everyone says.

American Fung was the worst and this season was the worst. I get that the theme might have touched on TBS's buyout and people worrying it's different? Turner's not exactly Chinese but I thought maybe that was part of the idea behind it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No. 9 posted:

I'm not a huge MMJ fan but I like some of their songs. I thought the episode was pretty decent honestly until around the end. The idea of MMJ playing a giant stadium is a bit funny. After they go and try to meet the leader singer, it loses it for me. Otherwise, it's not as bad as everyone says.

American Fung was the worst and this season was the worst. I get that the theme might have touched on TBS's buyout and people worrying it's different? Turner's not exactly Chinese but I thought maybe that was part of the idea behind it.

Yeah, all of season 12 was terrible and if the 13th starts off the same I guess I'll just catch up on them when they hit Netflix like 4 or 5 years from now.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

You Are A Elf posted:

Then again, I also think Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was just unnecessarily dumb and boring while the Internet raves about it. Oh, goody, a straightforward homage (parody?) to August: Osage County presented at a local community theater level. How exciting :geno:

Blood Crieth Unto Heaven was good because it was bookended by "Patrick Stewart, Actor", and because homage or parody of August: Osage county, it was wrapped around and delivered on pre-existing AD stories.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The MMJ episode didn't bother me too much either. I like when Stan gets way too into something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
American Fung is unwatchable.

MMJ was bad, but not that bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The MMJ episode I'm fine with if mostly cause it's existence lead to Majestic happening

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

The episode where Trump would show up whenever somebody said "You're fired" was the most FG-ish.

What episode is that?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What episode is that?

"Threat Levels"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

The episode where Trump would show up whenever somebody said "You're fired" was the most FG-ish. The show was able to find its footing rather quickly after that.

Lately it seems that footing is slipping, though. I noticed it during the episode with the random kid that would pop in here and there and be all "It's kinda funny. :)" Since then, it's been up and down towards Family Guy territory.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eh, the worst episode of American Dad is the one where Stan gets shot by Haley.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Last season was perfectly fine and if I had to pick the worst episode it would have to be the Stan of Arabia two parter earlier in the series.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Last season was perfectly fine and if I had to pick the worst episode it would have to be the Stan of Arabia two parter earlier in the series.

Really, cause most people consider that the point where the series starts becoming good and more than a Family Guy clone

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

The episode where Trump would show up whenever somebody said "You're fired" was the most FG-ish.

I super don't remember this

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Frostwerks posted:

It was the one where Francine became a realtor and Steve tried to film and sell bumfights to pay for a Playstation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Playstation was Steve's reason for Slippin Jimmy-ing with Roger, wasn't it?

Frostwerks posted:

I don't either, at all.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

It was the one where Francine became a realtor and Steve tried to film and sell bumfights to pay for a Playstation.

Isn't this like the second episode or something?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't this like the second episode or something?

Yes, it was.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
So when is this due to come back on TV?

I also like MMSJ, but yeah, American Fung was the worst.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Finally caught up with the TBS season just now and man, no one was underselling the badness of "American Fung". Absolutely no concept AD has ever tried has struck out so utterly. Nothing about it worked, it was just a hackneyed high concept flailing spraying flop sweat everywhere.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah, it's irritating because when you have a character like Roger you can usually fit a lot of square pegs into round holes...but not this time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Managed to see some of the new episodes. I'm really enjoying them so far. The Morning Mimosa stuff is by far my favorite thing, though blond Hayley made me feel funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had no idea, but this show is going to hit 200 episodes this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy crap you guys were right about American Fung being terrible. It's like a completely different writing staff worked on that episode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Holy crap you guys were right about American Fung being terrible. It's like a completely different writing staff worked on that episode.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they took an incomplete rejected script(the Stan gets Francine committed parts of the episode), and then added the Fung parts to pad it out into a full episode so they'd be able to complete the first season order for TBS, it's hard for me to imagine an episode ending up so badly otherwise, otherwise you are right about the TBS season being fun for the most part, even if the quality has dipped a bit

also anyone else find it kinda weird that we haven't gotten an announcement for when the next season is set to premiere yet?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

also anyone else find it kinda weird that we haven't gotten an announcement for when the next season is set to premiere yet?

They said 2016 I believe; which is weird since the backlog has to be approaching something like 30 episodes at this point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

They said 2016 I believe; which is weird since the backlog has to be approaching something like 30 episodes at this point.

maybe they want a decent backlog for a reason, like maybe it's going to be the center of a programming block or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Well they already have a 2 hour block of american dad every weekday. It's cool that when they play the new season's episodes they don't block out the shits.