Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And then the princess dies because coffee is bad for canines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I don't get how Lily had hope for that dream at all. Possums can't use magic, and wasn't it spelled out in an earlier strip that the vast, vast majority of doctors practice magic medicine? To the point where it's actually incredibly hard to find one that can work on possums at all? I mean, yeah, she's a kid... but even still, I'm surprised that the thing that broke her hope was "You'll probably die before finishing doctor school" and not "You'll never even make it in doctor school to begin with, since you can't use almost any modern medical techniques."
Either way, it's still kind of depressing to see her dreams crushed like that. :negative:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't get how Lily had hope for that dream at all. Possums can't use magic, and wasn't it spelled out in an earlier strip that the vast, vast majority of doctors practice magic medicine? To the point where it's actually incredibly hard to find one that can work on possums at all? I mean, yeah, she's a kid... but even still, I'm surprised that the thing that broke her hope was "You'll probably die before finishing doctor school" and not "You'll never even make it in doctor school to begin with, since you can't use almost any modern medical techniques."
Either way, it's still kind of depressing to see her dreams crushed like that. :negative:

She specifically wanted to be a nonmagical doctor I think, which Is why it would take so long.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, she's smart enough that she might just be able to be one of those people who get a PHD at 13.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

the point was to be a non-magic doctor to help possums, seeing as y'know there's sort of persistent reminders everywhere that her mom's dying and there's a critical lack of non-magic medical staff who can help her.

that there's a comically bullshit amount of rigamarole involved in becoming a possum-doc that seems almost specifically designed to exclude possums just sort of drove home that that world wasn't made for her and she'll never be permitted to be anything but the very few things rejects are allowed to be. Y'know, in the same ~half-hour she found out everyone assumes she must be cheating because she's getting good grades and possums can't even accomplish that much.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I looked back through the Poppy Archives, and I see where my mistake stemmed from. For some reason, I thought Lily had wanted to be a doctor for a while now, I didn't realize that it was a spur-of-the-moment type thing from this page. I was thinking that her crushed aspirations were stemming out of some long-held dream of being a doctor, when it's actually like you said: the realization of how lovely life is for oppressed minorities.

One other thing the trip back through the archives reminded me of is just how much it sucks to be Lily, holy poo poo! When you start actively paying attention to her appearances, you realize that she really only gets major screen time in order to:

A) Screw things up then feel bad about it
or B) Be traumatized

Chapter 1, she gets tossed around by the enforcer. Chapter 2 and 3 she barely makes an appearance. Chapter 4 she not only gets to see her mom almost get killed in front of her, (And is then told that she's responsible by the villian!) but then she also almost ruins a concert and gets to feel bad about that too. Chapter 5, she finds out her friends hate her and society is rigged to prevent her from succeeding. Poor Lily!

Edit: Something else I 100% missed until my most recent read-through: Holy poo poo the evil monk that mutated the boar was actually Poda. :aaaaa: Since Silvana and Friedrich are keeping Kit out of the loop on whatever they're doing, I'm guessing that the strike on the temple was just a way of eliminating Canopy's supply of Dragon's Blood, so Poda and Mr. Hand Man can rope the queen into some kind of supply deal for whatever God's Blood is.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 12, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Dr McNinja: "HE IS A NINJA" is such a great thing I'm surprised he's restrained himself to using it only twice. Perfect timing, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Their Pupils bugging out is a new thing, right?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Quentin's face in the last panel is the best

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Did anyone else do the TJ & Amal Kickstarter? My books arrived and I enjoyed reading them so much I almost wish I had done a higher tier. Luckily Kung Fu Hustlers is only $7 dollars in the online store.

The only quibble I have is that it looks like 3 of the omnibus pages got folded over(?) during the printing process so there are jagged white lines cutting through them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

Did anyone else do the TJ & Amal Kickstarter? My books arrived and I enjoyed reading them so much I almost wish I had done a higher tier. Luckily Kung Fu Hustlers is only $7 dollars in the online store.

The only quibble I have is that it looks like 3 of the omnibus pages got folded over(?) during the printing process so there are jagged white lines cutting through them.

Contact her with a picture of it. I'm sure she'd be willing to swap it.
I haven't gotten my copy yet, but I did get Stand Still, Stay Silent volume 1 hardcover and Widdershins 1-5 yesterday. SSSS's book is just gorgeous. Widdershins is one of the few kickstarters I've ever backed that delivered on time, and it was only ~2 months from the end of the campaign. The estimate on the page was October 2015. I guess when you've already delivered 4 books, a 5th is pretty easy. Probably had the different versions (with/without book-exclusive content) already proofed and the printer ready to start full production as soon as the campaign ended.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 15, 2015

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Pyroclastic posted:

Widdershins is one of the few kickstarters I've ever backed that delivered on time, and it was only ~2 months from the end of the campaign. The estimate on the page was October 2015. I guess when you've already delivered 4 books, a 5th is pretty easy. Probably had the different versions (with/without book-exclusive content) already proofed and the printer ready to start full production as soon as the campaign ended.
Hello! Yes, I had everything pretty much ready to go, I did the bleeds/book exclusive stuff as the campaign was running, and basically sent it the the printers the day the funds came in. Hoping to have it all squared away next month! Happy to hear your books arrived safely.

I got the SSSS hardcover recently too, it's gorgeous. Redtail's Dream is also a beautiful book, she really matches her lovely art with high production values and it's awesome.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: She's not going to stop at the Not-Shadow, is she?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
The background and the alt-text on today's Poppy is amazing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What is going on with Whomp lately? Is Ronnie okay? Real Ronnie I mean. I honestly can't tell but the whole thing seems disturbingly autobiographical, and also just plain disturbing. I'm fairly sure the overarching joke has always been "I'm a fat waste of air", but paging through the last dozen strips or so it seems much less light hearted about it than I remember.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think I speak for all of us people who aren't Ronnie Filyaw when I say just ask him yourself man.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Webcomics Thread 4: The overarching joke has always been "I'm a fat waste of air"

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 17, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Once upon a time, there was a happy whomp, but those days have passed, the bear has been sold.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The background and the alt-text on today's Poppy is amazing.

I'm struggling to decide whether Lilly being flattened or Friedrich's Tactical Earplug action is more hilarious.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
oh poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I need a wiki now because I keep forgetting who these wacky characters are and getting them mixed up. Why is there a ghost astronaut again?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I need a wiki now because I keep forgetting who these wacky characters are and getting them mixed up. Why is there a ghost astronaut again?

I forget the exact details, but it appears whenever a NASA astronaut is harmed to get revenge.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Renaissance Robot posted:

What is going on with Whomp lately? Is Ronnie okay? Real Ronnie I mean. I honestly can't tell but the whole thing seems disturbingly autobiographical, and also just plain disturbing. I'm fairly sure the overarching joke has always been "I'm a fat waste of air", but paging through the last dozen strips or so it seems much less light hearted about it than I remember.

Real Ronnie said on twitter that he's on a diet and has lost 30 pounds so far and still going, so he's probably fine.

I dunno how Whomp can survive if Ronnie isn't fat anymore though. I mean fictional Ronnie can be fat forever but if real life Ronnie isn't then I dunno if it'd still play right.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChairMaster posted:

Real Ronnie said on twitter that he's on a diet and has lost 30 pounds so far and still going, so he's probably fine.

I dunno how Whomp can survive if Ronnie isn't fat anymore though. I mean fictional Ronnie can be fat forever but if real life Ronnie isn't then I dunno if it'd still play right.

Once you are fat you are always fat.

No matter what.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm struggling to decide whether Lilly being flattened or Friedrich's Tactical Earplug action is more hilarious.

It's Friedrich casually waving the guard away.

quote:

Somehow that doesn't bother me with Ronnie, but it does with Ronnie Filyaw-sensei.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

I forget the exact details, but it appears whenever a NASA astronaut is harmed to get revenge.

the Nasaghasts

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Doc easily handles His old foes. I'll be surprised if he doesn't no-sell it with holy shura ken

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

He can do the Ghostbusters song and punch it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I found a very funny comic, I hope you like it here too. :)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I found a very funny comic,

Why?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Somehow that doesn't bother me with Ronnie, but it does with Ronnie Filyaw-sensei.

Speaking of Filyaw-sensei, I read Otaku Dad for the first time yesterday out of curiosity, and I'm glad to see he dropped the right-to-left panel orientation he was originally going for. I have regained faith in Ronnie :shobon:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobulus posted:

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/20p37/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nintendo Disaster sounds like a great name for a chiptune/hard rock fusion band.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Isn't McNinja an astronaut now, too? And King Radical is definitely out to harm more astronauts than McNinja is. Maybe the ghost will go after him instead?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
oh poo poo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I found a very funny comic, I hope you like it here too. :)

gently caress you for reminding me that this exists.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone read Erin Dies Alone on The Escapist? It's kind of a darker spinoff of Critical Miss, but they're taking the schtick where Erin hallucinates videogame characters more seriously.

Ofaloaf posted:

Isn't McNinja an astronaut now, too? And King Radical is definitely out to harm more astronauts than McNinja is. Maybe the ghost will go after him instead?

You have to actually harm the astronaut first. And just because Dr. McNinja's jumped around space in a spacesuit doesn't put him on NASA's payroll.

Of course, Dr.McNinja has fought ghosts before...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does anyone read Erin Dies Alone on The Escapist? It's kind of a darker spinoff of Critical Miss, but they're taking the schtick where Erin hallucinates videogame characters more seriously.

This is the most elaborate suicide note I've ever seen but it makes a compelling case for itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeesh, I didn't expect that comic to be so grindingly depressing, but it was.

• Locked thread