Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ugh, this is drat fun. Only tried elf person out so far but it's fast and good. Add me on steam if you wanna play a bunch, I'm in Australia for the timezone conscious.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/eiderdown/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
^^Added!

Also feel free to add me on steam at the link below, fellow Ausgoons:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/majorisoor/

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

Add me for rat grinding

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nwf

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Just completed multiple three tome, two grimoire runs--the triple-double. Feels good :cheers:

Add me if you want to ~*get on my level*~ http://steamcommunity.com/id/futonforensic

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
This game is fun but good god it has the ugliest loading screens I've seen since 90's playstation titles

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ChickenHeart posted:

This game is fun but good god it has the ugliest loading screens I've seen since 90's playstation titles

I love them it's like a 90s playstation game. Just right for a goofy 25 buck game.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

holy gently caress this game is hard, I can't get through the first map on solo or with pubs.

Also should the bots attack the rat king thing, because they just stood close to it and looked for me?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This might help, makes sense to me

Essentially you can get a few things during a mission that increase your odds at the end, which are represented on the dice screen as suns under the success ratio. The tome and cursed dice replace your six regular dice, the grimoires add an additional die that will always hit.

- Regular dice get 2/6 chance to land, get six of these by default

- Cursed die gets 3/6 chance to land, found in missions, takes up no space in inventory

- Tome dies are 4/6 to land, 3 per mission, takes up your health slot but can be freely dropped and picked back up again.

- Grimoire dice (2 per mission) always land (6/6 chance) and do not replace a die on the board, meaning you always get a one point upgrade on your rolls. That being said, the grims replace your potion slot, will be destroyed if they are dropped, and reduce the health of the entire team by a third. That means that getting two grims gives you a much better chance at getting something good but you will have only a tiny sliver of health left.

For the record, the only way to get to the blues on the top of the stack is for all six dies to hit as well as the two bonus grim dice. So it's a hell of a time.

God help us

Also this: Only three maps, not sure if they are going to expand it but not likely

on nightmare and cataclysm you have ranged friendly fire, but not melee friendly fire. I've been farming magnus nightmare 3 tome 1 grim, and the damage you take from friendly fire isn't too bad. The real issue is that losing any health will gently caress you over because stormvermin/rat ogres can kill you in two hits.

also if you thought orange was the highest level of gear, GET PREPARED FOR RED. On one of my nightmare completions I had a shot at a red helmet or two oranges. I got a green mace instead.

quote:

If you think sword/axe/whatever and shield is a bit light, give that dude a two-handed weapon. I liked the dwarf with a shield, but taking two swipes to kill even a slave got kind of old. Then I got out the soldier's two-handed hammer. All of your attacks are armor-piercing with that thing so you're the go-to guy for stormvermin. The dwarf's two-handed axe is the same way.

2h axes and 2h maces are amazing for hard and normal mode, but quickly get outpaced unless it's orange+ on harder difficulties (higher rarity = higher damage) because they don't 1 hit kill anymore. you really will need a guy with weap + shield as well, since the team surviving a rat ogre usually relies on some str pots, some grenades, and a shield slam taunt. stormvermin packs are a joke as well, since you regenerate stamina faster than all the stormvermin recover from a shield slam.

quote:

Why does the Witch Hunter's rapier have an ammo count?

use your tertiary/special fire key (default is mouse4) and you shoot a pistol with your rapier out. it's really an "oh poo poo he's out of range" kind of button, because the rapier's stab for single target is really good

ps: please enable VOIP in sound options fellas

lewtt fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 17, 2015

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Just having a hard time picturing nightmare+ with pubs seeing as how I still have drops and derp wanderings on hard and normal.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Only played on normal (and easy one clear of the first level a few nights ago) so far, but a friend and I grouping with two randos were having a challenging but fun time clearing the 3 levels available in the beta. Game seems less frustrating than L4D/2 ever were, despite potentially losing 15+ minutes of progress on a wipe. Every white or green piece of loot so far has felt hard won and meaningful, and I'm really excited for release.

Hopefully this game gets the sales numbers it deserves and sees more content after release.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Just got an orange repeater pistol for the empire soldier, i freaking love this thing. Takes out armoured guys crazy fast and i unlocked its +20%ammo skill.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Twin dagger waywatcher is a melee damage output monster who can-opens stormvermin like no tomorrow and can rip a rat ogre in half in seconds with a strength pot up, but really can't deal with crowds at all. It's a pity none of her ranged options can help cover that since the swift bow(logically the "fight lots of dudes" option)'s hip shot damage is trash and the drawn shot is both weaker than the longbow and not really faster.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Vermintide is fun. It is a fun game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was watching a stream and they heard a patrol of stormvermin coming, so they all went and hid in a house for a minute until the patrol had gone by. Really cool that you can do that.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
This game is really fun. Thanks to everyone who helped on the full monty horn missons.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Was watching a stream and they heard a patrol of stormvermin coming, so they all went and hid in a house for a minute until the patrol had gone by. Really cool that you can do that.

You're highly encouraged to do it, especially on higher difficulties, because stormvermin are shitwreckers that can drain a lot of resources if not handled perfectly and you get no real reward for killing their patrols. They're sort of like this game's Left 4 Dead Witch analogue in that they're a really nasty threat that you can hear coming in advance and you're encouraged to avoid.

Well, except in L4D you can trivialize Witches by having people with auto shotties unload into them before they activate using plentiful ammo supplies, whereas the closest Vermintide analogue is to have everyone dump their one-use bombs on a Stormvermin pack and then not have those bombs for an ogre or a horde.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 17, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My group just lob bombs into them. Let them all burn. No rat survives

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Really liking the Bright Wizard. I was worried that her mechanic would be too limiting, but if you make sure to vent every few seconds to stay out of the red zone, you can be lighting rats on fire the vast majority of the time. Which works astonishingly well. And when poo poo hits the fan and someone is being carried off by a packmaster while everyone else is getting swamped by clanrats and there's a ratling gunner tearing the group apart, you can really get stuff done if you just say "gently caress it" and unload. I can't decide which staff to go with though. I like all of them except bolt.

So, what tends to do better melee dps against Rat Ogres, anyways? Light attack spam or heavy?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised how solid the Stingray Engine is. Really good use of shader effects and more importantly it has TXAA out of the box. I might hate jaggies more than rats :v:

add me for rat stomping:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/stanleypain

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Just tried this game and it really feels to me like a skinned over L4D with a less optimized graphics engine and a grindy inventory system. Even more disappointing to hear that the levels don't really do much. Since the whole "Payday 2 CS:GO gun skins transactions" thingy I was hopeful. :smith:

If there's more to the levels than meets the eye I would like to know. I am hopeful. :ohdear:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've only played through a map twice now but it's incredibly simple to get the hang of if you've played Left 4 Dead.

It does make me feel some type of way that voip is off by default and there's no indication that I'm actually speaking/being heard. Also the lowered camera when playing the dwarf just tickles the poo poo out of me for some reason.

Add me to start a merry band of exterminators:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964284948

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's kinda funny what adrenaline will do to you in this game. Put me in the middle of a horde and I am a block-dodge-slash whirlwind. But then I come across some random rat and completely gently caress up, letting in a free hit

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Malek posted:

Just tried this game and it really feels to me like a skinned over L4D with a less optimized graphics engine and a grindy inventory system. Even more disappointing to hear that the levels don't really do much. Since the whole "Payday 2 CS:GO gun skins transactions" thingy I was hopeful. :smith:

If there's more to the levels than meets the eye I would like to know. I am hopeful. :ohdear:

It's L4D with a less optimized graphics engine and a grindy inventory system, but in exchange you get actual meaningful differences between character capabilities, a larger amount of difficulty levels to choose from, and a game that demands actually fighting a lot more than either L4D game ever did because trying to sprint through in this one while holding LMB will get you killed due to the increased lethality of the specials and the fact that clanrats are way more able to gently caress you up than non-special zombies ever could. The focus on melee instead of guns also makes combat inherently more risky.

If you're hoping for levels that massively dynamically change from run to run you're probably going to be disappointed since it's pretty standard L4D style "there's these objectives to eventually accomplish, enemy spawns and item drops are randomized".

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Kanos posted:

It's L4D with a less optimized graphics engine and a grindy inventory system, but in exchange you get actual meaningful differences between character capabilities, a larger amount of difficulty levels to choose from, and a game that demands actually fighting a lot more than either L4D game ever did because trying to sprint through in this one while holding LMB will get you killed due to the increased lethality of the specials and the fact that clanrats are way more able to gently caress you up than non-special zombies ever could. The focus on melee instead of guns also makes combat inherently more risky.

If you're hoping for levels that massively dynamically change from run to run you're probably going to be disappointed since it's pretty standard L4D style "there's these objectives to eventually accomplish, enemy spawns and item drops are randomized".

This is the best summary of it (kind of echoes what I said but it's more accurate and better written.)

I just found it weird (since I left Payday 2 for the changes... that and 500 hour+ burnout) that an established fantasy setting game had fewer RPG elements then a game about shooting endless waves of cops while robbing banks and jewelry stores.

I'm hoping they make changes later on to add them but I'm not holding my breath. (but if they did... :getin: )

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Malek posted:

This is the best summary of it (kind of echoes what I said but it's more accurate and better written.)

I just found it weird (since I left Payday 2 for the changes... that and 500 hour+ burnout) that an established fantasy setting game had fewer RPG elements then a game about shooting endless waves of cops while robbing banks and jewelry stores.

I'm hoping they make changes later on to add them but I'm not holding my breath. (but if they did... :getin: )

I don't think you'll see them retrofit class abilities or RPG-style skill points or anything on, since that's a foundational change that you'd probably see in something like a hypothetical Vermintide 2. Assuming this is successful and gets good post-release support(be it paid DLC or unpaid patches), you will probably see additional classes, maybe more/different types of equipment for the existing classes, new maps, and possibly more enemy types/a versus mode, but I think the existing system is pretty much it in terms of what kind of character progression this game is going to have going forward.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
The bad optimization is what bums me out. The CPU demand from this game is just way too much.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
oof there are some bad pubbies this morning.

also my computer was built like a year ago or maybe a little bit more and handles this game great on high, I haven't had any issues with lag or slowdown on the three available maps

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kanos posted:

I don't think you'll see them retrofit class abilities or RPG-style skill points or anything on, since that's a foundational change that you'd probably see in something like a hypothetical Vermintide 2. Assuming this is successful and gets good post-release support(be it paid DLC or unpaid patches), you will probably see additional classes, maybe more/different types of equipment for the existing classes, new maps, and possibly more enemy types/a versus mode, but I think the existing system is pretty much it in terms of what kind of character progression this game is going to have going forward.

I'm hopeful we'll get something skill point related on top of this game. I think if they add a skill tree + infamy (Legendary!) mechanic, they can significantly lengthen the treadmill. Adding the infamy on day 1 with the skill tree will give people at max level a sense of progression, as instead of just dumping max skill points into a build, they will just be +1 infamy level ahead. It could also be something they phase in gradually, so the skills would be like the current traits on weapons, but you choose for your character. So better pushing, more ammo, etc. This way, it wouldn't significantly break the game in ways that have not been considered, while allowing for even further customization and experimentation.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Trilin posted:

The bad optimization is what bums me out. The CPU demand from this game is just way too much.

i5-4690K and it's running flawlessly. Pretty mid-range CPU, doing the job just fine.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Skandranon posted:

I'm hopeful we'll get something skill point related on top of this game. I think if they add a skill tree + infamy (Legendary!) mechanic, they can significantly lengthen the treadmill. Adding the infamy on day 1 with the skill tree will give people at max level a sense of progression, as instead of just dumping max skill points into a build, they will just be +1 infamy level ahead. It could also be something they phase in gradually, so the skills would be like the current traits on weapons, but you choose for your character. So better pushing, more ammo, etc. This way, it wouldn't significantly break the game in ways that have not been considered, while allowing for even further customization and experimentation.

I keep hoping for this. :ohdear: Hope.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Why does this game have to be all things to all men? Can't it just be a fun 20 minute blast with buddies through hordes of rats? Why bolt on all these other elements and turn it into World of Skavencraft?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There was a post on the steam forum from a dev that went "yeah we are doing post release stuff"; the 30 dollar price tag was meant to get as broad a base as possible for future dlc.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Plavski posted:

i5-4690K and it's running flawlessly. Pretty mid-range CPU, doing the job just fine.

i5-3450. On the weak side these days but it's never given me trouble until this game.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Plavski posted:

Why does this game have to be all things to all men? Can't it just be a fun 20 minute blast with buddies through hordes of rats? Why bolt on all these other elements and turn it into World of Skavencraft?

It doesn't have to be ALL things, but skill trees work well in this type of game, as Payday 2 has shown.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
This is me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jpotts/

Lets whack-a-rat together!

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
Has anyone found any tomes in Smuggler's run or whatever? Does the mission have them? it seems fairly linear.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

It doesn't have to be ALL things, but skill trees work well in this type of game, as Payday 2 has shown.

Payday 2's skill tree sucks though

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was a post on the steam forum from a dev that went "yeah we are doing post release stuff"; the 30 dollar price tag was meant to get as broad a base as possible for future dlc.
Well they have a decent shot at that now because it's #1 on the Steam store. :)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Broguts posted:

Has anyone found any tomes in Smuggler's run or whatever? Does the mission have them? it seems fairly linear.

Yeah but only one. There are some semi-hidden nooks that can have chests. Only the Horn mission seems to have all the bonuses, in my limited experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Reason posted:

Payday 2's skill tree sucks though

Uh. No? :psyduck:

What sucks about it?

• Locked thread