Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This show has the most Gundam end animation I think I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I'm interested to see what combat role the Mobile Workers have now that the Gundam is in play, because an MS beats an entire platoon of tanks with little effort.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reds posted:

I'm interested to see what combat role the Mobile Workers have now that the Gundam is in play, because an MS beats an entire platoon of tanks with little effort.

In next week's IBO episode, the mobile workers play tackle while CGS attempts to gate their cap ships in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reds posted:

It's still only one Mobile Suit though. Having a couple platoons of of low-profile highly-mobile tanks is still pretty useful, even if only as a distraction or to run interference.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reds posted:

It's possible that mobile workers with better armaments would be able to pose a threat to a mobile suit, since the only mobile workers we've seen actually try to fight an MS were terribly equipped child soldier cannon fodder mobile workers. The Gjallarhorn types with the actual cannons might be able to make a dent, for example.

I can also see a situation where the Barbatos has to fight multiple prepared targets being a real problem as long as it's alone, because it's restricted to melee and has a sharply limited operational time until they can iron out the part where it Tallgeeses the gently caress out of Mika. If the Gjallarhorn folks had been prepared for how fast and dangerous it was Mika would have likely had a lot more trouble doing as much damage as he did so quickly, since he basically got to gank one for free and then clown on an overconfident and angry Ein.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is talking about upcoming IBO kits (in the context of the show) OK here, or should we keep that to the Gunpla thread?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it'd be cool to keep it in the gunpla thread

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i think it'd be cool to keep it in the gunpla thread

Yah I feel like that would be the better place for it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

to be fair I don't really see a distinction between vague semi spoilers from model kit promos and vague semi spoilers from the show's website putting up promo illustrations of new mobile suits and characters before they appear on the show, which has happened for the last few Gundam series :shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think it's a question of spoilers so much as the people interested in Gunpla post in the Gunpla thread and not everyone who watches IBO will care about Gunpla.

e; directing people to post about IBO Gunpla in the Gunpla thread is also good for the Gunpla thread since we get more posters, it benefits everyone.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't think it's a question of spoilers so much as the people interested in Gunpla post in the Gunpla thread and not everyone who watches IBO will care about Gunpla.

Eh, Gunpla's a part of any Gundam series, and a little idle chat's not bad to fill the week between episodes. Plus there's always going to be the occasional question of if a specific kit exists, or if its any good, from the curious anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; directing people to post about IBO Gunpla in the Gunpla thread is also good for the Gunpla thread since we get more posters, it benefits everyone.

I know there are people in the gunpla thread who rarely watch anime so heck, I like that line of thinking

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, Gunpla's a part of any Gundam series, and a little idle chat's not bad to fill the week between episodes. Plus there's always going to be the occasional question of if a specific kit exists, or if its any good, from the curious anyway.

Luckily we already have a thread specifically for answering those questions http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
A thing the OP could do though is link to the Gunpla thread in the toys section.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was mostly thinking kits in the sense of information about the future of the show, rather than whether they'd be good to build. Basically, using 'em as fuel for sweet, delicious plot-speculation, which I thought would be better for this thread.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I was mostly thinking kits in the sense of information about the future of the show, rather than whether they'd be good to build. Basically, using 'em as fuel for sweet, delicious plot-speculation, which I thought would be better for this thread.

In that case...

1/144 Barbatos manual

quote:

-overall height:18.0m, dry weight:28.5t

-Gundam Barbatos: About 300 years ago, the Calamity War drove by humanity itself caused the civilization decline. Barbatos is an ancient MS produced in that era. Even with that era's technology mounting 2 Ahab Reactors and making them operate in parallel high output was extremely difficult, so 72 machines using a Gundam Frame fuselage were rolled out. All of those 72 machines have an individual name registered to them, Barbatos' Gundam prefix is a rare name for a MS to bear. The burden on the pilot is high due to the high output and high maneuverability, however it's mitigated by the implementation of Inertial Control due to the use of Ahab Particles generated from the reactor when a phase transition occurs inside its vacuum device. The cockpit structure is positioned in front of the reactor to take advantage of this. Among the same frame machines, Barbatos has been adjusted for an emphasis on versatility, it has the potential to adapt to every circumstance by performing exchanges of all sorts of equipment.

-Mikazuki Augus: boarded the Barbatos when Gjallarhorn attacked the CGS HQ facility then became its pilot. He has received the Alaya-Vijnana(storehouse consciousness concept from Buddhism) System surgical treatment 3 times and still returned alive. This system grants excellent spatial awareness and since ancient MS require rapport from an Organic Device Sytem, compatibility with Barbatos is very good. Inspired by Gjallarhorn attack, he participates with the mobilized children including Orga Itsuka in starting up Tekkadan. He has never been to school and can't read properly.

-Mace: Physical destruction weapon made from a high hardness rare alloy used in MS frames. As MS use Nano Laminated Armor for protection, such striking weapons are considered to be effective. Its pointed end has an spear-like stick out injection mechanism.

-Long Sword: Sword used by MS training at Teiwaz's HQ ''Jupiter'' factory. It shows its superiority during localized attacks because it's easy to handle due to its lightweight.

-Gauntlet: already equipped when Barbatos was discovered on Mars. Thought to be an original Barbatos exchangeable armament, not sure.

-1st Form: from the Calamity War around 300 years ago. Discovered in Mars' desert by Malva Arkay(CGS president). Since its Ahab Reactors were still in operational state it was used as the CGS HQ facility's power source until Mikazuki boarded it.

-4th Form: Based on ancient materials from the time of the Calamity War that had been recorded on Teiwaz's database, Barbatos' original shape reproduced by ''Jupiter'' technicians. Machine's weight balance stabilized because of additional armaments. Reactor output was improved too.

1/144 Graze manual

quote:

-Commander Type model number: EB-06s. Overall height: 17.8m, dry weight:30.2t

-Graze Standard/Commander Type: Gjallahorn's current mainline MP MS deployed in the Earth Sphere and outer space. MS development's keystone, the Ahab Reactor production, has become a monopolized technology by Gjallahorn; the Graze which has been developed in recent years is also a state-of-the-art machine. Because of its general purpose nature the frame construction was precisely planned, by performing exchanges in armaments and armor it takes a structure that can adapt to various environments. In order to development to reach as far many same type trial machines were assembled. The Schwalbe Graze, which achieved higher output and mobility, is a same frame sister machine. From the Graze's versatility pursuit viewpoint even more improvements can be added, multifarious armament variation implementation. Improved stability, aiming to lower the operational cost. It's an easy to handle machine for pilots as well as mechanics, inside Gjallahorn many have voiced their praises for the machine's performance so a negative view on a next version mainline machine development has come up.

-Soldiers of Gjallahorn: they lost because they didn't expect to face a MS in the CGS base attack since under the current Gjallahorn control it's rare for a pilot to have experience on anti-MS warfare, it was the 1st time Ein faced one.

-Battle Axe: because MS are protected by Nano Laminated Armor direct blows are considered to be extremely effective regarding battle between MS. The Battle Axe is an equipment assuming MS battle.

-Rifle: Graze's standard shooting armament. High accuracy, high utility value as the mainline weapon in the role of support armament.

-Standard Machine/Commander Machine: 1 Commander Machine and 2 Standard Machines, 3 units total composition which is the smallest unit, Gjallahorn's Mobile Suit Corps. The Commander Machine can preserve the chain of command even under the influence of Ahab Waves since it has a communication range corresponding to twice the Standard machine.

-Environmental activity: For the Graze, in order to cope with every kind of environment, many retrofit parts exist. To ensure mobility under gravity the armor equipment was made light weight. High movement speed in space because of Booster Unit implementation. All-purpose machine without regard to distance or support in relation to armament too.

1/144 Schwalbe Graze manual

quote:

-Overall height: 18.1m, dry weight:32.5t

-McGillis Schwalbe Graze: The Schwalbe Graze is a sister machine that used the same type frame of the Graze which is currently being deployed in the Earth Sphere and outer space as Gjallarhorn's mainline mass produced MS. The Schwalbe Graze is a trial machine that was born in the Graze's development process aiming at higher output and mobility, so inside Gjallarhorn, as a matter of fact, same type machines called Graze have been operating. Compared with the Graze which aimed for a further general purpose nature, the machine's stability during lower output is inferior so the pilot's talent is demanded for steering. On the other hand, it's superior in the highest output, the more the battle's severity increases the more it displays the performance. Also, commander specification Schwalbe Grazes are being operated, in many cases the passenger is fixed so customization is done to suit the pilot so there is a tendency for each machine's personality to stand out. Standard Graze use equipment retrofit is possible.

-McGillis Fareed: adopted by the current head of the Fareed clan, Izunario Fareed(guy reflected on his sword in the OP?). Friend of Gaelio, Bauduin family is also part of the Seven Stars, and said to be engaged to his sister Arumiria which they haven't seen in a while. When he arrived to inspect the Mars branch it has been decided for him have a deep connection(fate) with Mikazuki and Tekkadan.

-Battle Axe and Rifle have the same text from the vanilla Graze

-Wire Claw: shooting type claw for enemy MS restraint, used for clinging to enemy vessels. Captured item for Barbatos' equipping too.

-McGillis Unit: It places emphasis on high output operation, adoption of Flight Unit equipment makes it possible to combat even within the atmosphere under the great influence of the planet's gravity. As a matter of course, the extra burden affects the pilot too and the machine's control becomes difficult, however, McGillis masters the technique.

-Flight Unit: additional high output propulsion unit that used the same technology of interplanetary cruiser battleship's main thrusters. It becomes possible to fly above ground too.

-Environmental activity: Similarly to the Graze which pursued versatility, the Schwalbe Graze's forte is to not select the environment to operate. In addition to making the equipment lighter, by means of the Flight Unit further high mobility is achieved; it's possible to cope with command, support and melee combat too since it's endowed with abundant armament variation.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

McGillis does seem to have his own deal going on in the OP. Gaelio is fighting and having a blast, but he is standing on a ship deck in Earth with the old guy's reflection on his sword. And he isn't striking me as a true believer in Gjallarhorn from his exposition on how Earth's economy depends on Mars.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder if this show will end up as an all out war between the planets or if it will stay smaller in scale like an AEUG versus Titans scenario.

Also I can't tell if Jupiter is referring to the planet or a ship name. Could this be the first Gundam to not have Jupiter be populated solely by assholes?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Ethiser posted:

I wonder if this show will end up as an all out war between the planets or if it will stay smaller in scale like an AEUG versus Titans scenario.

Also I can't tell if Jupiter is referring to the planet or a ship name. Could this be the first Gundam to not have Jupiter be populated solely by assholes?

Nope, if you thought assholes with their souls weighed down by earth's gravity was bad, Jupiter's gravity is so much worse. ;)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What time does Daisuki normally get the week's episode? It's up on GundamInfo (but not available in the UK).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Daisuki has the episode up right now. Watching as I type.

Mikazuki is one cold motherfucker.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Daisuki has the episode up right now. Watching as I type.

Good timing, it literally wasn't there 15 minutes ago. :v:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I didn't like this episode as much as the last couple, but it pulled it back in the end.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

This is my first Gundam show and im really enjoying it.
Mikazuki is a really neat protagonist, basically what i actually wanted the main dude from Aldnoah Zero to be like.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Orga using Mikazuki as an executioner was hosed up. Also, Mika is kinda hardcore.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

What the christ Mika! I'm really looking forward to a flashback episode to see what lead up to all this. The reason he wears that drat jacket is because he's ICE COLD.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Christ, MIka does not gently caress around.

That was very much playing with the Ramba Ral/honourable enemy captain thing. Particularly when said morals and character just bounce off Mika entirely and mean nothing to him instead of making him an important stepping stone in his character development.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reds posted:

That was very much playing with the Ramba Ral/honourable enemy captain thing. Particularly when said morals and character just bounce off Mika entirely and mean nothing to him instead of making him an important stepping stone in his character development.

They didn't bounce off him entirely, though. Orga said it: Mika is boorish but honourable. Shooting Crank was Mika doing the honourable thing on two accounts: he followed his orders and also granted Crank an honourable death that spared his troops from further disgrace. In fact, the contrast in the entire scene is between Crank and Mika, and it's more of a comparison than a contrast - Crank is an old man and is correspondingly old-fashioned (CGS reacts appropriately to the duel flag by going "holy poo poo, I didn't think someone would actually try to use something pre-Calamity War like that"), and Mika is very similar despite being a kid.

So yeah, good episode. The only thing that felt contrived was the pile driver not instantly killing Crank, but we got some character development out of it. IBO continues to be one of the best Gundam shows.

Is there a full version of the ending song yet?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So yeah, good episode. The only thing that felt contrived was the pile driver not instantly killing Crank, but we got some character development out of it. IBO continues to be one of the best Gundam shows.

The cockpit is the head, not the stomach.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Tae posted:

It's pretty clearly in the chest, the Barbatos stomps on it to open up the cockpit for that scene. Though, that does beg the question just why what looked like blood squirted out of the head when Mikazuki crushed it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Can the thread title be changed, because at this point there's no waiting involved anymore. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yep, Mika continues to be :stare:.

In other stuff, since I said I'd like to chat about upcoming suits and what we know about them thanks to their kits, I figured I might as well do that. Anyways, here's the machines that have toys but haven't shown up on-screen yet:

Graze Kai: Seen in the OP being piloted by Akihiro, the big guy with the red stripe on his jacket. Presumably, it'll be the Orphans' second suit, bodged together from the Graze parts they've captured. Same armaments as the standard model, but (crudely) rebuilt shoulders, head, and cockpit.

Schwalbe Graze: We already had the translated manual for this one - it's a high-mobility Graze variant piloted by McGillis (not-Char) and Gaelio (not-Garma). McGillis has a blue one with a grappling claw (which reportedly gets nicked by the Orphans), while Gaelio has a purple one with a great big gun-lance.

Man Rodi: Big, round, froglike Gjallarhorn suit with a :krad: rocket-cleaver. The design (stumpy legs plus feet built around large thrusters) suggests it's for space combat, so that's likely where the Orphans'll face it.

Hyakuren: Sleek Gjallarhorn suit that kind of looks like the GN-X. It looks like a general-purpose machine, so I'm assuming that it's the next-generation replacement to the Graze that everyone's grumbling about in the latter's translated manual. The one we have a model of appears to be in McGillis's colours, so I'd guess that'll be his upgrade after the Schwalbe Graze gets trashed, although it doesn't really look like a final boss suit so I guess he'll get something nastier later on. Also, it has giant robot knuckledusters holy crap.

Hyakuren (Amida Custom): A pink Hyakuren with a different gun and no knuckledusters (booo). The name and colour scheme suggest a girl's suit - maybe it'll be the ride for McGillis's Mouar or Lalah? Alternatively, Amida might just be a guy who likes pink and is also McGillis's Mouar or Lalah, so who knows?

Hyakuri: A high-mobility machine with an enormous backpack that duel-wields rifles. Everything about its ultra-specialised design screams 'one-off monster-of-the-week gimmick suit', but it's neat-looking enough that I hope it'll become a fixture. Plus, IBO seems to be short on gimmick suits - even the Man Rodi looks set to be reborn as the Gusion.

Gundam Gusion: Widely speculated to be Biscuit's machine due to its portly build and fork emblem, this is a big, heavyset suit with a massive hammer. Its similarities in design and armament to the Man Rodi (the gun is identical) suggest that we may be looking at another Graze Kai situation here, where the Orphans loot a useful-looking enemy suit, although it looks like a rather more sophisticated conversion than Akihiro's ride.

Gundam Kimaris: Unlike the Gusion, this looks like a proper Gundam like Barbatos, one of the seventy-two machines from the Calamity War. It's got a knightly design and an enormous lance, and the colour scheme and tall, pointed head (signifying a commander-use suit) both suggest that this'll be Orga's ride, possibly signifying his role as Kudelia's knight in shining armour.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 18, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
mika is really uncomfortable to watch. he really needs someone like orga, who actually has principles outside of loyalty, to bounce off

he doesn't give a gently caress about his character growth

actually, the reason he's so short is probably because the surgery hosed up his body and stunted his growth

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't think it's likely the Gusion would be called a Gundam if it wasn't an actual Gundam, but we'll see. Also, since the Hyakuri has tiny twig-like arms that fold up into the boosters, I'm going to guess it's a space MS (possibly designed to travel long ranges on its own) and not a general usage one.

Phobophilia posted:

mika is really uncomfortable to watch. he really needs someone like orga, who actually has principles outside of loyalty, to bounce off

I don't know, Orga's principles aren't very developed and you can attribute a significant portion of Mika's hosed-up-ness to him right now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
orga's pretty ruthless, but when the plan to discard kudelia was proposed, everything about his face screamed "gently caress off, that's not even an option"

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm incredibly pleased at where they are taking Mikazuki. I was afraid he was going to fall into the Heero/Setsuna side of Gundam protagonists. I really hope they keep him interesting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Creamfilled posted:

It's pretty clearly in the chest, the Barbatos stomps on it to open up the cockpit for that scene. Though, that does beg the question just why what looked like blood squirted out of the head when Mikazuki crushed it.

Welp, wrong then. Yeah, that scene doesn't make sense then.

Though I'm now curious if kissing a rope bracelet is a martian custom and not just a weird trait the girl has.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Either MS oil is dark red in IBO or it was just a colouring error that'll be fixed on the Blurays, really.

Tae posted:

Though I'm now curious if kissing a rope bracelet is a martian custom and not just a weird trait the girl has.

He was breathing it in rather than kissing it, presumably because it smells of Atra, which means their attraction is probably mutual, which is neat. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Barbatos' mace is also a piledriver! I love piledrivers this owns!

• Locked thread