Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tiggum posted:

So is dragonrend actually useful at all then? Seems pointless.

Besides making them land it also makes them unable to shout, which means no more fire/ice/drain vitality/whatever.

It also has a really fast recharge time so you can keep a dragon perpetually grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thoughtless posted:

Undertale's combat system. I went into it blind and while the story is great I'm seriously displeased with the combat.

Shmup bullet hell, really? It's certainly different, but it's also not fun for me, at all.

Everything about that game looks good and fun except that, and I absolutely hate bullet hells, so oh well.

Now if it was more like Star Soldier and you blow up things with kindness... :haw:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

If you're not heavy into archery or magic you're hosed without it.

This. For the legendary Dragonborn I'm supposed to be, 90% of my pre-Rend dragon fights are "Get the gently caress down here, you little bitch!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And if you are a mage or archer in Skyrim (as I was for 90% of my playtime) dragons are a really weirdly unpleasant fight. They're only really vulnerable if they're preparing to use one of their breath attacks on you, while mages and archers aren't tremendously likely to have the fortitude to protect against that. And the fight actually gets harder if the dragon's weakened (either by health or Dragonrend), because then the dragon is in melee and doing physical attacks, which are actually even harder to handle for them. My mage and sneakthief rued the possibility of facing dragons, they were always dangerous as well as always likely to crop up at any time.

Meanwhile my warrior could out-regenerate a dragon's damage output, while they were attacking, at all stages of the fight. I can't decide if this is the fault of Skyrim itself, or just the dragons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
To this day I really don't get the people who always seem psyched by the dragon battles in Skyrim and even wanted them to be harder. From the get-go they were boring and you spent half the fight waiting for it to land, or just standing there face tanking hits and clubbing it to death. Or if you were anything but a melee character, running around chugging health potions while occasionally hitting it while your immortal companions did the bulk of the work. I guess they had so much HP because fighting a dragon that goes down in two hits would be silly. But they always just dragged the game to a halt and were super dull. Especially when they kept showing up everywhere. There was one at the mage college and I swear to god it respawned every time I went there while doing the mage quest line.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

every encounter with a dragon or a mage who could cast freezy icicle missle resulted in me getting OHKO'd.
Mages as a melee character are the most annoying thing. They hit you in the face with a spell that saps your stamina and takes out most of your health. Then they run the gently caress away. At higher levels they just flat out run faster than you so you have to sprint and use up what little stamina you have left while they're hitting you with more magic. Now you can't hit them back, and they just run away again and alert anything else in the area. Which is usually more wizards.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Oct 17, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

And if you are a mage or archer in Skyrim (as I was for 90% of my playtime) dragons are a really weirdly unpleasant fight. They're only really vulnerable if they're preparing to use one of their breath attacks on you, while mages and archers aren't tremendously likely to have the fortitude to protect against that. And the fight actually gets harder if the dragon's weakened (either by health or Dragonrend), because then the dragon is in melee and doing physical attacks, which are actually even harder to handle for them. My mage and sneakthief rued the possibility of facing dragons, they were always dangerous as well as always likely to crop up at any time.

Meanwhile my warrior could out-regenerate a dragon's damage output, while they were attacking, at all stages of the fight. I can't decide if this is the fault of Skyrim itself, or just the dragons.
I had this problem with Skyrim. I like insanely grognardy CRPGs. Gothic 2, Dark Sun, Wizardry 6-8, you name it, you know? So it's not a difficulty thing. But I really felt like I was doing something wrong with Skyrim because over two or three different characters every encounter with a dragon or a mage who could cast freezy icicle missle resulted in me getting OHKO'd.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had this problem with Skyrim. I like insanely grognardy CRPGs. Gothic 2, Dark Sun, Wizardry 6-8, you name it, you know? So it's not a difficulty thing. But I really felt like I was doing something wrong with Skyrim because over two or three different characters every encounter with a dragon or a mage who could cast freezy icicle missle resulted in me getting OHKO'd.

I love Bethesda-style RPGs, but I hate Skyrim with a passion, it just made every choice about how to be that kind of RPG wrong. I've heard people say that Phantom Pain is the best Metal Gear game, but the worst Metal Gear game, and that perfectly matches my sentiment about Skyrim. As a game, it's the best Bethesda's made; as a Bethesda game, it's such a misstep and mistake that they've entirely lost me on any future titles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Can you literally not bring yourself to read the descriptions of spells and shouts that you have?

I usually just try them out.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I usually just try them out.

So, to recap: you can't be bothered to read a couple lines of text describing what the spell does, and then you get annoyed because you don't understand what the spell really does?

I don't think the problem is actually with the game, friend.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Oct 17, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I love Bethesda-style RPGs, but I hate Skyrim with a passion, it just made every choice about how to be that kind of RPG wrong. I've heard people say that Phantom Pain is the best Metal Gear game, but the worst Metal Gear game, and that perfectly matches my sentiment about Skyrim. As a game, it's the best Bethesda's made; as a Bethesda game, it's such a misstep and mistake that they've entirely lost me on any future titles.

im sorry your opinions are so awful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

To this day I really don't get the people who always seem psyched by the dragon battles in Skyrim and even wanted them to be harder. From the get-go they were boring and you spent half the fight waiting for it to land, or just standing there face tanking hits and clubbing it to death. Or if you were anything but a melee character, running around chugging health potions while occasionally hitting it while your immortal companions did the bulk of the work. I guess they had so much HP because fighting a dragon that goes down in two hits would be silly. But they always just dragged the game to a halt and were super dull. Especially when they kept showing up everywhere. There was one at the mage college and I swear to god it respawned every time I went there while doing the mage quest line.

I played Skyrim as a battlemage and one of the coolest things I've done in a video game was to get near the peak of that bigass mountain, above the clouds, hear the theme kick in, then see a dragon swoop in from the corner of my eye. I fired fireballs and other spells at it while dodging its own breath attacks until I nail it with my 100 destruction electrolaser spell, forcing it to crashland at the base of the mountain. I then shouted myself invincible and jumped off the side of the mountain and freefell all the way down then finished it by slicing its face apart with a pair of ebony swords. I did all this in full ebony platemail with the addition of having the Ebony Mail so I was also seeping black smoke. It was metal as hell.

quote:

Mages as a melee character are the most annoying thing.

Fighting ice mages on the other hand is insanely tedious.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Oct 17, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

aardwolf posted:

So, to recap: you can't be bothered to read a couple lines of text describing what the spell does, and then you get annoyed because you don't understand what the spell really does?

No? My problem was that fighting the big bad dragon was tedious and took too long. Oh, and that the way the game works means that huge dragons pose no threat to me but a random dude in the wilderness can kill me in one hit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how anyone can pay attention to more than about 10% of the dialogue/text in that game, there's just so much tedious bullshit. So is dragonrend actually useful at all then? Seems pointless.

What do you play games for anyway Tiggum? You don't like it when the game has branching paths, missable quests, or secrets, and now you don't like it when the game directly lays things out for you either. Why not just watch movies?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
and deprive us of his posting?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

What do you play games for anyway Tiggum? You don't like it when the game has branching paths, missable quests, or secrets, and now you don't like it when the game directly lays things out for you either. Why not just watch movies?

I don't have a problem with branching paths or secrets, and it's not the game explaining things I have a problem with in Skyrim. I just don't care about the story or worldbuilding so I tend to ignore most of the text and dialogue. It's not a problem that it's there. I also tend to ignore the spell and item descriptions and just mess around and see what happens, but that's also not a problem. I wasn't complaining about dragonrend at all, really, it just would have been nice if the super-weapon I'd just acquired could have made the fight a bit less of a pain.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The thing dragging Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit down is that there's barely any combat and the stealth mechanics are atrocious. All you do is go from A to B. Oh and there's traffic so even if you somehow overtake your opponent (good luck with that it's pretty much impossible without cheating) you can crash into it. What this crashing does is that it destroys your car while your opponent slips by, so the game's unbalanced as gently caress. Then I got to the final boss and guess what. Yeah. A car. Good loving job it's as if they couldn't come up with something more original.

Also the game has terrible tank controls. It literally FORCES me to use the retarded control scheme. Thankfully I found a mod that lets me use the mouse exclusively but the game controls like poo poo nontheless.

Then there's that race 31 where I got completely stuck for hours because of the terrible terrible level design. There's no indication that there's gonna be a turn. How the gently caress am I supposed to know that?! So when I finally figured it out and reached the finish line, guess what? You start the whole race all over again. At that point I just threw the mouse across the room. I 100%ed it but the last few weeks caused me serious physical and emotional trauma.

Whoever designed this game should be tied to a pole and burned alive while their family is forced to watch.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

No? My problem was that fighting the big bad dragon was tedious and took too long.

Yes? It was "tedious and took too long" because you made a conscious decision to ignore the video game actively teaching you how to defeat the end boss. As I understand it, your entire complaint is literally that you couldn't be bothered to put any effort in to playing the game and for some reason failed to achieve a maximal experience. Is it really that hard for you to understand that perhaps you had a little agency in this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So MGSV occasionally tells you to fight tanks and other armored vehicles. Usually it's entirely optional and you can at least sneak around. One of the later missions shoves you into a shootout with about fourteen armored vehicles and tanks, a helicopter and an assortment of dudes and automatically starts you off in alert so you can't even sneak around. You just get hosed. Again and again. By tank shells. Then the game has the balls to give you a bad rank because you call in an airstrike on the like four tanks that are camping the door of the building you're using as cover because it's the only thing the explosions won't penetrate or go around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

aardwolf posted:

Yes? It was "tedious and took too long" because you made a conscious decision to ignore the video game actively teaching you how to defeat the end boss.

So, what was I supposed to be doing? Because I now know that dragonrend forces a dragon to land, and I don't know how that's supposed to help me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

So, what was I supposed to be doing? Because I now know that dragonrend forces a dragon to land, and I don't know how that's supposed to help me.

Have you tried paying attention to the game? Or clicking the left mouse button at any point?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tiggum posted:

Do you use a melee weapon? If so, then it helps a lot.

If not, then it only really helps if you're bad at aiming at a flying dragon, and in fact might actually be harmful to your survival chances regardless, except for the part where I believe you're required to use it on Alduin at the Throat of the World. Considering you just got it and it's named 'Dragonrend' you should probably be using it on the dragon anyway, though.

Dragons are a bit poo poo.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Oct 17, 2015

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tiggum posted:

I don't think anything would help you at this point, man.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Nuebot posted:

So MGSV occasionally tells you to fight tanks and other armored vehicles. Usually it's entirely optional and you can at least sneak around. One of the later missions shoves you into a shootout with about fourteen armored vehicles and tanks, a helicopter and an assortment of dudes and automatically starts you off in alert so you can't even sneak around. You just get hosed. Again and again. By tank shells. Then the game has the balls to give you a bad rank because you call in an airstrike on the like four tanks that are camping the door of the building you're using as cover because it's the only thing the explosions won't penetrate or go around.

You go on the offensive, apply smoke grenades liberally and steal all of them. But yes, this took more trial and error than it should have taken and was severely frustrating. Those one hit tank shells can gently caress right off. The easy way would be to hide somewhere with the Anti-materiel rifle and take them out at range but you just have to steal all the tanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Do you use a melee weapon? If so, then it helps a lot.

If not, then it only really helps if you're bad at aiming at a flying dragon, and in fact might actually be harmful to your survival chances regardless, except for the part where I believe you're required to use it on Alduin at the Throat of the World. Considering you just got it and it's named 'Dragonrend' you should probably be using it on the dragon anyway, though.

Dragons are a bit poo poo.

See, that's what I'd figured out (without whatever I was supposed to have learned from paying attention to the tedious dialogue).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

See, that's what I'd figured out (without whatever I was supposed to have learned from paying attention to the tedious dialogue).

Tiggum

For gently caress's sake

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

So, what was I supposed to be doing?

Tiggum posted:

See, that's what I'd figured out.

Which is it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Which is it?

Both? I don't know what you are trying to tell me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

I don't know what you are trying to tell me.

Finally, we share some common ground.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tiggum is wrong to not understand how Dragonrend works. Like....its in the description.

But he's right that Skyrim does kind of fall flat. I thought it was great, I had a ton of fun with it. But about 80% through the game I was like "ok lets get this over with. Yes another dragon, oh noes. Whatever. Oh a bandit that does more damage than the dragon, thats nice...."

The game is GOOD, its just too FORMULAIC. Once you're about 50% through the game and discover dragons and the mage college you've pretty much done everything there is to do that is unique and cool. Which is honestly too bad because the game is a lot of fun before it wears off.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The thing dragging dragonrend down: sometimes it takes so long to actually make dragons land that I've already killed them off with arrows and magic.

Nuebot posted:

Mages as a melee character are the most annoying thing. They hit you in the face with a spell that saps your stamina and takes out most of your health. Then they run the gently caress away. At higher levels they just flat out run faster than you so you have to sprint and use up what little stamina you have left while they're hitting you with more magic. Now you can't hit them back, and they just run away again and alert anything else in the area. Which is usually more wizards.

On the other hand, melee characters as a mage. You can stunlock them, but the spells deal so little damage you'll be standing there peppering them with fireballs with your eternal mana bar, being in absolutely no danger but having absolutely no fun either.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm glad the thread came together to help out a fellow gamer.

Nuebot, either use the Brennan or CGM and Battle Dress. Don't bother bringing in DWalker bc when the fighting starts it'll get dismissed. Have some sleep and smoke grenades ready to distract the infantry and stay in cover to avoid sniper fire. Don't do the extract challenge until you get the mission right the first time. I had to call up sandstorm and use stealth cam and it was still a bitch to get done.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I agree that Dragon fights were pretty lame after a while.
I agree that Dragonrend is poo poo to use if the dragon has no where to land close by.

But Tiggum, I don't think you brain works very well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tiggum posted:

I didn't know DarkSydePhil had a SA account.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I didn't know DarkSydePhil had a SA account.

Looks like it's that time again!

Oxxidation posted:

The most wonderful thing about Tiggum
Is Tiggum's a little bit thick.
His brains are made out of rubber
So facts can never quite stick.
His posting, posting, posting, posting's dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb
But the most wonderful, wonderful thing about Tiggum is he's the only one.
He's the only one.
*fart*

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dont use the awful lock on launchers. Use the not Carl-G or the RPG you get for free. The range on the lockon. is too short.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SpookyLizard posted:

Dont use the awful lock on launchers. Use the not Carl-G or the RPG you get for free. The range on the lockon. is too short.

The CGM is a lock on launcher but if you're good at blind firing, you're basically blind firing 5 rockets at once. :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i'd rather get a good lock so i can fire and forget rather than have to lead my shots with dumbfire rockets. the fb launcher does have the best damage and i think has the fastest speed, though.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Brogue is one of the first roguelikes I've ever enjoyed. I enjoyed all of it except the godawful hunger system. You know what usually kills a run for me? Not powerful enemies, or clever traps, or a cursed item. It's hunger. You start starving to death within ten minutes of starting and food is the scarcest item in the game. It's constantly ticking down and you literally have to skip entire levels of the game to make it to the end with the amount of average amount of food in the dungeon. That is part of the strategy of the game that people discuss.

The laziest challenge you could put in the design of a game. Garbage.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
You can't eat corpses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Death Zebra posted:

Torchlight is the worst for this as you get very limited space which can be filled by the loot from a single wave of enemies and Money is relatively hard to get so I don't want to leave loot behind. There's no inventory sorting of any kind. The item storage chest also has far too little room (which is bizarre given it was made for the PC first)

It's easy to understand when you remember that Torchlight is Diablo 2-B, but that still doesn't make it a good design decision