Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
There's a limited time deal on a Dutch site (bol.com) today where you can buy this on PS4 for 23 euros, so I could not let this go by. However, I ordered the Tamriel Unlimited version and later found out there's also the Tamriel Unlimited Day 1 Crown Edition which has free crows for the same price, so I cancelled the first one and ordered this. Unfortunately this crown edition will not arrive next Tuesday, but two weeks later. Hope the extra crowns are worth it.

Typical newbie questions:
Since I sneak-bowed my way through Skyrim, this time I would like to just sword/shield or two-hand my way through it. Any suggestions on which class/race/faction to choose? I'm thinking Orc/Nord with a two-hander or sword/board. Are the dragonknight and templar the two specific melee type characters?
I might change my mind later and go for a mage of some kind. I will probably be mostly playing solo, since none of my friends play this. However, if dungeon grouping with pubbies is possible and the matching system works in this game, then I will probably try to group some dungeons. Are mages better for solo play than sword/shield?
How is the goon presence on euro PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Every character does melee pretty well, but differently. DKs are noteworthy because of an ability they can pick up and morph into a stamina-restoring spike self-heal that costs magicka to cast and animates like goddamn instantly, so they become very efficient.

Templars get to suck health and stamina from nearby dead bodies through the power of regret or something, which is also pretty good for stamina builds. Nightblades are my favourite, but they lack the two super-distinct advantages those two classes have and instead have an ability that leeches resources from weapon hits. That ability used to be a toggle but is now a short-duration buff, which has functionally led to a lot of people (Scyantific?) no longer being on speaking terms with it.

Sorcerers make great melee builds because you can turtle up and surround yourself with pets and maybe hit things with a sword sometimes. That's kind of like melee, right?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

doomfunk posted:

stam sorcs are terrible at melee

I can't hear you over the sound of 60% healing on crit.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Can't hear you over the sound of me wrecking multiple scrubs in non-vet PvP.

Also Siphoning Attacks is ok, I still use it.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So, how grindy is this?

I'm thinking about getting it for ps4, but don't have much time to waste away. Is the leveling/exploration fun?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

So, how grindy is this?

I'm thinking about getting it for ps4, but don't have much time to waste away. Is the leveling/exploration fun?

Sub-50 is fun. Once you hit veteran ranks it grinds to a near halt.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Yeah I stopped playing once I hit V1. I spent a little while in the newbie area but there was no progress happening and it was just doing the same old missions again. PVP was lovely because I'd get raped by V14 gankers if caught alone. PVE on PS4 sucks because there aren't many good healers about. If only there was text chat...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Even with all their changes to increased veteran quest XP and lower XP requirements to level? I don't know, I just found VR1-14 to just be a longer version of 1-50. 14-16 was pretty quick with their changes, all I did was go to Cyrodiil and grind dailies with an XP potion.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's not the exp that's the problem, it's just that veteran ranks are an especially lazy way to extend the game's content.

I mean the only reason I'm trudging through veteran grinding on my templar and DK is so I can say that yes, I have fully leveled each class.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Aren't they going to remove VR or something

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

I have fully leveled each class.

Does it really count if they're all magicka?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

asap-salafi posted:

Yeah I stopped playing once I hit V1. I spent a little while in the newbie area but there was no progress happening and it was just doing the same old missions again. PVP was lovely because I'd get raped by V14 gankers if caught alone. PVE on PS4 sucks because there aren't many good healers about. If only there was text chat...

Not sure where you're looking, but I never have an issue finding good healers.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

Does it really count if they're all magicka?

I could ask you the same question :cheeky:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

killstealing posted:

They say a lot of things. I think everyone with a brain knows they're just waiting until everyone forgets.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

killstealing posted:

That's what they say. The Champion system was supposed to be it's replacement.

Sky Shadowing posted:

They say a lot of things. I think everyone with a brain knows they're just waiting until everyone forgets.

What makes you say that? So far they've been following the outlined plan to phase it out.

Or am I thinking of Vet Points?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Patch notes 3.0: Champion system removed in favor of additional veteran ranks. Level to veteran rank 30 as you experience Dark Tamriel and foil Molag Bal's even-darker schemes! Dark Tamriel consists of the same award-winning content as your first Tamriel adventure, but this time, the brightness has been turned way down.

Patch notes 3.0.1: Brightness restored to normal in Dark Tamriel.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

tgidieday posted:

Patch notes 3.0: Champion system removed in favor of additional veteran ranks. Level to veteran rank 30 as you experience Dark Tamriel and foil Molag Bal's even-darker schemes! Dark Tamriel consists of the same award-winning content as your first Tamriel adventure, but this time, the brightness has been turned way down.

Patch notes 3.0.1: Brightness restored to normal in Dark Tamriel.

I'd actually be okay if they went "A Link To The Past" with this.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

tgidieday posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of 60% healing on crit.

Hey, I didn't say sorcs are terrible at stam/melee builds - I was just saying pets are pretty popular right now!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

doomfunk posted:

Hey, I didn't say sorcs are terrible at stam/melee builds - I was just saying pets are pretty popular right now!

Pets loving suck and the only reason people bother with them are because of the Expert Mage passive to stack ridiculous amounts of spell damage for Overload builds.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
BEST SORC BUILD 2.2.1 21K DPS++++

*only uses ultimate*

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

BEST SORC BUILD 2.2.1 21K DPS++++

*only uses ultimate*

Hey it worked for Senaxu and all of Beyond Infinity during their Sorc only Trial runs!

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

The friend list broke after the last patch, is it just me?

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Can I get an invite to the guild @val'uum? The argonian racials were sadly too unminmaxed for my aspie tastes, please dont judge.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I just hit the vamp level where I can give dudes. If anyone on PC EP build needs a bite, holler at @Overchromed.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

SO I have two templars and two nightblades...I decided I should really try some other classes and playstyles.

I haven't really messed around with bows or two handers, so I'm gonna make two new guys with that in mind.
Haven't played a Sorc or a DK much. Which should be the sniper and which should be the two hander?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you're gonna PvP, stamina DK. I'll link a cool and good DK PvP video later.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The two hander stamina sorc build that tgitieday invented is super fun.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Mostly I just need to get one or two chars up to and through the VR, level undaunted, unlock and learn the CP system. I should have time this week.

My temptation currently is to make a Bosmer Werewolf Stam regen build. I think it might be the basis for making a sort of hybrid. It seems to me that the big downside of hybrids is that you potentially nerf alpha damage, but I think you could make a variety of things capable of real sustain.

Also, my stamplar project is now a Werewolf. I think he has all the skills. I can put a point into Bloodmoon if anyone needs a bite.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Well then, now we got a reason to do Pledges.

New Mercenary motif drops from Undaunted chests and the style material drops from end bosses in dungeons.

Edit: And they managed to gently caress that up too. Style material (Laurel) will only drop if you have any chapter of the style learned. It's a guaranteed drop if you know all 14 chapters of the style. Oh and it's Bind on Pickup too, for an extra dash of "gently caress you."

Crafters are up in arms about this

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 19, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If your crafter isn't undaunted 9, I don't know what to tell you.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I played this for a a couple of days at launch. Haven't touched it since. I just got bored. How is it now?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I played this for a a couple of days at launch. Haven't touched it since. I just got bored. How is it now?

Run.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

As in you don't realize how bad it is until you hit level cap or its so drat good your wife will leave you?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If your wife doesn't have 15k dps, I don't know what to tell you.

The game is less of a cluster than it was April of last year. The skills got a serious overhaul, and the difficulty is more consistent. But the combat feel and quests are basically unchanged (other than being less buggy), so if those didn't appeal to you then, they might not appeal to you now.

That said, since you already bought a copy, might as well download the 80 gigs of patches for free and join us on PC NA Ebonheart.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 20, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

As in you don't realize how bad it is until you hit level cap or its so drat good your wife will leave you?

As in get out, lest you be consumed by the sheer amount of :psyduck: that is Zenimax Online Studios' own brand of "gameplay balancing."

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
It can't be as bad as Archage, right?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That depends. Has the Archeage team been so drat lazy about fixing visual errors in their game that they have literally changed multiple gameplay elements to alleviate the issue without thinking about the ramifications of said changes?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Don't listen to him, the balancing is fine and the game is a lot of fun.

Not being able to revive while hidden is such a tiny change.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Got two Vet 3 Willpower pieces, but I'm not a magika based character, so I don't need them. How much can I sell these for on PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

If you already purchased ESO, the game is definitely at least worth a playthrough from 1-50. After 50 it can be a take it or leave it situation but personally the Cadwell's levels, AKA vet ranks 1-16, don't bother me much. (I just wish they weren't instanced only to others of my own faction, it feels like such an empty world outside of my own faction because there's no one else to see :smith: )

And yes, it's better than Archeage. Not as innovative, but not as much of a cesspool either.

• Locked thread