Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Guessing they're having the artist/s work on gnomes while the programmers do all this balance stuff or something.

Also I never really understood what was so hard about adding new races, all the iconics are just head swaps of other races. So other than checking if every helmet or set of goggles looks alright what takes so much time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I think it's mostly that they artists always have things to work on. Designers/programmers do too for the most part, but art is usually up there as far as expenses go for video games. Basically takes a lot of time to get the new art done for any given module and they're likely working 2-3 modules out at least. So most of the animations and armor stuff can be transferred if it looks mostly the same, but there's still a fair amount of art. Plus the one new racial talent tree for the designers/programmers to work on. All for a questionable thing to add from a market or gameplay perspective.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I keep wanting to get into this game, but it feels so hard. Everyone is like reincarnated dozens of times and has super strong stuff and I just don't get past level 14ish before burning out.

Do you guys have any advice on how to get over that hump? I like the game itself.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Set it down for a few weeks if you get frustrated, come back and run hards or normals.

Alternately, grab an experienced goon and have them complete content on elite for you while you read comics or whatever.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also find a friend to drag along. Then you guys can duo stuff without getting bored hopefully and you don't have to worry about people blitzing through stuff faster than you can figure out what's going on.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I keep wanting to get into this game, but it feels so hard. Everyone is like reincarnated dozens of times and has super strong stuff and I just don't get past level 14ish before burning out.

Do you guys have any advice on how to get over that hump? I like the game itself.

Exact same thing here - Everyone has done every quest 100 times each and just blitzes them while in groups I sort of just stand in the corner and pretend to be useful. I feel like the game would be amazingly fun with a fellow idiot newbie. I'm in as Splorkus McShootypants and other variously terrible names if you have anything from like 5-12 and want to play.

Edit - wrong character names

Kablammo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 19, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Kablammo posted:

Exact same thing here - Everyone has done every quest 100 times each and just blitzes them while in groups I sort of just stand in the corner and pretend to be useful. I feel like the game would be amazingly fun with a fellow idiot newbie. I'm in as Splorkus McShootypants and other variously terrible names if you have anything from like 5-12 and want to play.

I'm getting the itch to start playing DDO again, too. I'd be up for blundering about with other newbies. I've got a level 5 Wizard named Dadalan.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm getting the itch to start playing DDO again, too. I'd be up for blundering about with other newbies. I've got a level 5 Wizard named Dadalan.

We had a newbie duo going on today - lots of fun vastly over-estimating our abilities with elite quests and instant kill traps. The more people the better!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Man, I am regretting going pure monk punching stuff. But on the upside the group of friends who I thoroughly expected to burn out in the early teens made it to 20. Now we're just running into the issue of one guy really wanting to TR and two not (I could go either way). Not to mention two of them don't have epic destinies so they're locked out of a bunch of cool poo poo.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Kablammo posted:

This game is incredibly fun with other idiot newbies, that's how I got addicted.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Alright, I think I'm getting back into the swing of things. Should be able to spend some time catching up tonight. Might even bite the bullet and buy MOTU Standard to give Phiarlan Carnival a try. Still, what I really want is a proper (pointy) wizard's hat.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

There is one!

...but it requires not only buying Shadowfell Conspiracy but paying $40 for the Legendary Upgrade which gives you: Owlbear Defender (level 17/25 hirelings), 2x +3 skill tomes, 5 Sovereign 1 XP potions, Lesser Tome of Epic Learning for every character, tan striped pseudo dragon pet, wilderness cosmetic armor.

To be fair though, the potions are worth 2400 TP ($30~), so it's not a terrible deal... jus feels lovely when you're already paying a chunk for the expansion. People were pretty unhappy about the whole editions + upgrade + TP offer poo poo they did for the expansion.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

DemonMage posted:

There is one!

...but it requires not only buying Shadowfell Conspiracy but paying $40 for the Legendary Upgrade which gives you: Owlbear Defender (level 17/25 hirelings), 2x +3 skill tomes, 5 Sovereign 1 XP potions, Lesser Tome of Epic Learning for every character, tan striped pseudo dragon pet, wilderness cosmetic armor.

To be fair though, the potions are worth 2400 TP ($30~), so it's not a terrible deal... jus feels lovely when you're already paying a chunk for the expansion. People were pretty unhappy about the whole editions + upgrade + TP offer poo poo they did for the expansion.

Mmm, that is rather tempting. Too bad there aren't any sequins.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

DemonMage posted:

There is one!

Speaking of, do you remember if the upgrade option gave a separate key? I got it with MotU but not shadowfell and I can't remember.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah my order email has a CE and a Legendary key in it.

Product SKU: DDO-SC-LEGENDARY
Product Name: Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Shadowfell Conspiracy™ Legendary Upgrade - Digital Download
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $39.99
Digital Rights: <key>

Also the worst part about that hat and hats in general in DDO is that you lose your hair. I get the why, but it sucks big time. MotU Spider Mask or showhelm off 24/7.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Thanks. I might buy it and sit on a copy the next time it goes on super sale in case I manage to rope more friends in or if they're not around to buy it at the time and grab the legendary key for myself, too. Maybe even grab the discount TP bundle because I'm a whore for ddo. Always and forever.

I was super disappointed I only got the red spider mask and not the silver one, too.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
The terrible newbie duo is at a not-so-newbie 12 now. This game kind of kicks rear end (on average.. see below) once you get past the 100 or so sewer quests at the beginning, fighting nothing but slimes and kobolds for 6 levels. Combat is really fun, even in just a straight up slugfest between you and some trolls or whatever there's quite a lot of strategy involved compared to other games. I think the constant threat of failure - whether being turned into a fine red mist by an ogre's club rolling a critical hit on your nuts, or getting sliced into 3 by a trap you missed - really keeps things involved and interesting. The party's wizard walking through a door and getting blasted into a million pieces by a fireball trap never gets less hilarious either.

Occasionally though there's just some loving horrendously bad level design though. Find 20 corpses scattered throughout the level.. oh wait, you cant find the last one because it's really really hidden or has fallen through the world or something? Too bad, gently caress you. Party died to a trap at the end of a giant underwater maze taking at least 10 minutes just to swim through (assuming you took the correct path).. too bad there's no shortcuts back. Get swimmin' bitch. Constantly respawning enemies in a maze level can also eat a bucket of fucks. Most of the quests are great,but holey moley, some bad ones should really be displayed in satan's trophy cabinet.

Kablammo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 21, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Out of curiosity, which underwater maze do you mean?

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

DemonMage posted:

Out of curiosity, which underwater maze do you mean?

Sounds like Tomb of the Shadow Guard, which really goes quite quick once you've run it a few times (like most things). Dying close to the end is loving horrifying, though. Brings to mind the one and a half Coalescence Chamber runs I did before noticing there were air jet runes to recover from a fall :smithicide:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ahh yeah. That one is irritating, I couldn't think of any traps in it offhand, but it's been so long since we've run that series that it's starting to go foggy. And Coal Chamber didn't always have those air jets either, those were the fun days!

Bright side is that you can easily skip the small handful of lovely quests, or quests you hate in the heroic levels, and most of the epic ones are pretty solid.

musicshemale
Jan 28, 2012
I've always really wanted to play this game with a group of people that had no idea what was coming up or going on, like myself. I wrangled up some friends of mine a few years back but they didn't really get into it so I didn't continue on by myself.

The idea of dying to crazy traps, doing puzzles, working as a team, and generally just bullshitting seemed like a good time.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I love necro 2 and 3, they're pretty different to the general TR train quests and the xp is pretty great. Much more fun than doing The Tear of Dhakaan x5 for the millionth time or zerging the Lordsmarch chains again.

They really should have a warning though if they don't already(only done 1 TR from level 1 since Iconics came out), that poo poo is brutal if you don't know what you're in for.

Woden fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 22, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah they're not terrible quests really, but they're brutal when you're new. They can be confusing your first time or two through blind, they're filled with mobs that stat drain and are incorporeal so a lot of newer melees are doubly hosed in them. They're also long (at first) due to that stuff. It's just a series of tough bullshit after tough bullshit. Later on when you have Death Ward, easy restoration, passive Ghost Touch, all that poo poo is far less annoying, and you know the quests enough to aim right for the objectives.

It also helps if you have solid AE since they attack in huge groups.

But again, even if you're TR2 there's so much experience in the game that if you hate them or don't have good AE or whatever, you can easily skip the quests, which is a nice change from the old days. Pre bravery streak and lowered XP required TRing loving sucked. Lets run a quest 8x normal, 1x hard, 1x elite. And then do that for half the quests in the game. So fun!

musicshemale
Jan 28, 2012
Sooooo yeah. Any newer folks need a certain class that I could build up for a newbie group?

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
I've only seen a handfull of people in the newbie brigade, but so far there's been no melee. Maybe that?

honestly though, whatever class tickles your fancy is probably the best choice.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Kablammo posted:

I've only seen a handfull of people in the newbie brigade, but so far there's been no melee. Maybe that?

honestly though, whatever class tickles your fancy is probably the best choice.

Rogues are also nice. Stupid traps.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Though learning how to avoid traps without disarming them is a valuable skill! But it's nice to have someone who can disable too just incase. Or for bonus experience.

Release notes. New DDO Store, Arcane Archer changes, Balance Pass changes. And the Night Revels event is live [Edit]Apparently not live yet, but "preview" will be on Friday[/Edit].

Also incase anyone missed this part of the Balance Pass:

quote:

Several named items that have larger than normal critical threat ranges have had their ranges expanded, similar to the range they had when the Improved Critical feat erroneously doubled their threat range modifier.

It's not 100% the same, but it's pretty close. Future named items will be balanced around the correctly working IC.

Also

quote:

Swashbuckling now grants double the range bonus if you have the relevant Improved Critical feat.
Knife Specialization now grants double the range bonus if you have the relevant Improved Critical feat.

quote:

Use coupon code ekBfC3lxNcB2B to receive two free +5 Hearts of Wood in the new Store!
VLkKU7w8L4PvF to get 4 free Lasting Night Revels Keys for tomorrow night's preview event

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 22, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Oh man. Can't wait to get home and fiddle with my AA. Maybe use a heart of wood on it.

quote:

Two Weapon Fighting now animates more quickly.

Is this just an animation thing or does mean an effective attack speed increase? I can't remember if DDO has the attacks tied to the animation.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 23, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006
The when moving animation was bad DPS so they sped it up to up the DPS.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Some upcoming potential caster changes:

quote:

Casters have some cool stuff coming in Update 29.

~ Casters will see their spellpower bonuses for each epic level (like the melee power and ranged power bonuses) to help make epic levels more relevant.

~ There will be at least one epic metamagic. We are also working on how it will affect Warlock abilities.

~ There will be ways to increase mana efficiency in epic levels, particularly against bosses.

This will be in addition to the Legendary level 30 feats they can choose from.

We are also exploring some other ideas that require tech, like a temporary spell point buff if an enemy makes its saving throw against your spell, but no promises there. We might have to drop the idea for tech or balance reasons.

Sev~

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The bonus sp on save sounds cool but I doubt it'll happen. Seems like it would be a bit unbalanced and I don't know if the implementation currently supports "notifying" the caster that a mob has saved to then grant the caster the temp sp buff. It seems like it would generate a tonne of extra traffic, too.

edit: So I've been reading the first impressions of Night's Revel on the oforums and apparently its astoundingly grindy. Any goon feedback yet?

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 23, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

We didn't have a chance to run the event when it was up for all of one Friday night but it's supposed to be enabled after the Hotfix tomorrow. So hopefully it's not too grindy since that was literally one of the points of the new version... that you could easily finish it off and so the ingredients going away each time wasn't a big deal.

quote:

Mortal Fear is powerful, but it won't work in new Legendary (CR 31+) content.

Sev~

I figured this kind of thing was coming, so glad we didn't bother to grind them out. I bet they'll still see plenty of use, but I don't know who thought they were ever a good idea.

quote:

~ Just a reminder that epic levels are increasing to level 30 with Update 29, so if you are working on an Epic character for the purpose of a true reincarnation you might want to level before update 29 as it will be take more XP when you can go to level 30.

~ Yes, we have read the question about what happens when a level 28 character starts a reincarnation and then the level is increased. We are discussing that internally.

Sev~

Sigh. I was really hoping they would go the route of making 30 take as much experience as 28 and rebalance epic level requirements for that.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 28, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I ran it a bit that night and the new stuff is not grindy, however the old mabar stuff is super goddamn grindy to get. Especially if you had terrible key drop chances like me. My buddies would get 5-6 keys for every one I got. I really wish they'd standardize the drops across the group so you don't have to wait for one person to get the drops needed. Especially since there's no lockout timer like cove where you're basically guaranteed to at least have 2 compasses by the time the door opens.

Other than that, take someone with strong AoEs. The quests are pretty easy to power through, so most of your time is going to be farming stuff and the despawn timer/range on enemies is pretty aggressive so you'll lose out a lot if you're melee.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 28, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Good to hear, don't think we really care about any of the old stuff. Mostly just want the new clicky items and maybe an augment or two.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
God drat I miss this game. I can't wait till I can afford VIP again.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Should I bother using the raid box they gave a while ago to crack open and Antipode for my monk or would I be better off getting handwraps from a quest and maybe sitting on the box in case I TR? I'm probably not going to upgrade them at all since we're a group of 4 that will probably never run raids and I don't ever see CitW PUGs anymore.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You're better off using a staff on a monk than handwraps right now. They want to rip out the handwrap tech and make them work like other weapons, but who knows when that'll be.

And at 28, let alone 30, you guys could 4 man CitW normal. Or Fall of Truth. FoT is always 1 Commendation on normal. It's slow but doable. CitW gives you only a chance of tokens.

Game_Whino posted:

God drat I miss this game. I can't wait till I can afford VIP again.

Was wondering what was up with you! Not that we've been playing much lately, and Original Sin EE just came out that we've got to play. And then Fallout 4 in 2 (!!) weeks.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
RIP. And drat, free re-feating at fred is over, too. If I switch over to qstaffs, would it then be a good idea to uncrate Sireth?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

My gut says yes. Sireth is a powerful and fun weapon. And it's usable on more builds than handwraps would be. Antipode isn't great even as handwraps go is another reason not to go for them.

quote:

Get 4 free Night Revels keys in the DDO Store for the festival with coupon code TpeKXaryH8QkL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The only reason I'm not doing it immediately is I already have a stickrogue(with an uncrated sireth) at 16 and my monk is mostly a tank that stuns stuff so my dps is almost irrelevant due to how much damage the arti and sorc in the party do. I probably will in the end, though. My monk has been struggling quite a bit for the last couple levels ever since hitting epic content . I just need to find a decent build that doesn't expect you to have past lives or eaten a bunch of tomes. Especially since tomes are so goddamn expensive and most of the tomes I find are upgrade tomes but without the +1 to start.

edit: I do have a +0, 5 and 20 lesser heart if it came to needing to take some different levels...

double edit: Apparently warlock/monks are hilariously strong tanks. I might give that a shot and switch to sticks, too. I am pretty poo poo at theorycrafting in this game though so hopefully there's a simple enough build I can follow.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2015

• Locked thread