Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I also like it. Concrete owns.

Really just needs a button to retract the stairs. That would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

hydo posted:

I flipped through the thread, hopefully I'm not reposting.

Ranier Tower in Seattle.

I had to work in this place and I'm scared as poo poo of heights. The money was really good, so that helped.

You can feel it sway in a high wind, and when it does it creaks like an old battleship. I've seen the structural engineering diagrams of the building, and it's bottom-heavy as all hell, but that doesn't really help much when you're sitting at your desk and you can feel the building rock back and forth.

They missed a trick with this building by not turning that ugly concrete bottom bit into a rock climbing centre.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hydo posted:

Ranier Tower in Seattle.

I had to work in this place and I'm scared as poo poo of heights. The money was really good, so that helped.

You can feel it sway in a high wind, and when it does it creaks like an old battleship. I've seen the structural engineering diagrams of the building, and it's bottom-heavy as all hell, but that doesn't really help much when you're sitting at your desk and you can feel the building rock back and forth.
I posted it but many pages ago so you're forgiven. I used to work in the London office of a company that was based there, 22nd floor or thereabouts, used to visit once a year or so. It's kind of ugly and boring on the flat part but cool to look up at from the bottom.

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
I think that building is very Seattle! It has this weird "we built it in the 60s! JET AGE MOTHERFUCKER" vibe to it, like a lot of Seattle does. You think they take the wings off a 747 and built a building around it. It sort of floats there!

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

I think that building is very Seattle! It has this weird "we built it in the 60s! JET AGE MOTHERFUCKER" vibe to it, like a lot of Seattle does. You think they take the wings off a 747 and built a building around it. It sort of floats there!

There's a :911: joke in here somewhere...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kavak posted:

It looks like the prison room Starbuck was kept in on New Caprica.

Which, like her and Boomer's apartments on Caprica, were real apartments in the Waterfall Building in Vancouver.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 17, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Those apartments are good and I wish I could live in one.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

hydo posted:

Ranier Tower in Seattle.

They should have a little cardboard sign posted at the top of the concrete base that says "no poors allowed"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The University of Technology, Sydney, features a Frank Gehry building, and it’s bad, but it somehow manages to not be the ugliest building on campus (through no effort of its own):

Wait, what’s that in the upper right?

:barf:

Gehry’s building is still unparalleled on the inside, though:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a scifi movie where, like, a black hole eats the building from the inside.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a scifi movie where, like, a black hole eats the building from the inside.

We can dream.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Those apartments are good and I wish I could live in one.

I agree, although I wouldn't move out of my current house to live there.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Grim Up North posted:

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEfY4ZB8YY

this house unironically owns. if I didn't live near the arctic circle I would've loved to live in that

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

ulvir posted:

this house unironically owns. if I didn't live near the arctic circle I would've loved to live in that

I like how more and more YT videos are becoming 1080p/60fps

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I haven't been to Tampere, but I have a feeling that will be much more popular in January. Being able to go between buildings in indoor clothes is a luxury in the winter.

Not really, no. The distance between the buildings is so short it just isn't worth the time it takes to go up there, because both ends of the pipe are in extremely bad places where you normally never need to go, unless you're specifically going to the pipe.

One end is on a part of the floor where there's nothing there except one single department and the university chapel. So unless you're going to one of those, you never have any reason to be there. That building also has more floors than the other one, so to connect these there's that tiny tower with absolutely nothing in it except for the stairs and an elevator leading to the pipe. Like I guess if there's a bigass storm or something it'd be nice, but even during winter it's just very inconvenient and nobody ever uses it.

(I graduated from there last year)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That looks a lot like "I've seen Scandinavian interiors and I'm going to do it too only I didn't actually get it".

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

What's that cool looking art deco tower to the right? Lots of good buildings in this pic.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ulvir posted:

Winter really sucks when I comes to house-design options. If I lived on the west coast (BC) I'd most definitely build something like this.

Creekside Cabin in Seattle. There is more to it hidden at the back, but I would love to have a nice glass wall in the living room (not the bedrooms) that looked like a mural of a lush forest. Also I would not have those sink basins as they are a bitch to clean underneath the edges.

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax

kemikalkadet posted:

What's that cool looking art deco tower to the right? Lots of good buildings in this pic.

Post-modernist crap!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Blistex posted:

Winter really sucks when I comes to house-design options. If I lived on the west coast (BC) I'd most definitely build something like this.

Creekside Cabin in Seattle. There is more to it hidden at the back, but I would love to have a nice glass wall in the living room (not the bedrooms) that looked like a mural of a lush forest. Also I would not have those sink basins as they are a bitch to clean underneath the edges.

This doesn't belong within 5 miles of this thread. It owns.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kemikalkadet posted:

I didn't know anything about it except that I remember it being the tallest building in that area when I used to visit. Wikipedia says it's 1201 Third Avenue, which is a poo poo name, so let's use the original: Washington Mutual Tower

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Bluemillion posted:

This doesn't belong within 5 miles of this thread. It owns.

That wood siding in the living room might, though.

Do floor to ceiling windows look very modern to anyone else? I feel like they require the rest of the interior look like this:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Blistex posted:

I also want a sweet cabin like this too. There's some Finnish/Norwegian designed ones with efficient woodburning fireplaces/stoves that can keep the place warm even in bitter winters.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

CJacobs posted:

"It's very bottom heavy" is rear end in a top hat lovely architect code for "Don't wooorry it's fiiiine what could possibly go wrong"

It's a Yamasaki so :911:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

red19fire posted:

I also want a sweet cabin like this too. There's some Finnish/Norwegian designed ones with efficient woodburning fireplaces/stoves that can keep the place warm even in bitter winters.

Huge windows and efficient heating is the architectural equivalent of a healthy McDonald's meal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Huge windows and efficient heating is the architectural equivalent of a healthy McDonald's meal.

You can make walls that are more energy-efficient than any window but you can also make windows that are more energy-efficient than most walls actually built in the US.

e: Actually that might not even be true since walls don't let in light.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kunstler's website was down for a little while and it made me sad because no one complains about lovely buildings like him.

It's back now.

quote:

Hey, who left that stack of Fed-Ex boxes in the middle of downtown Vancouver? Wait a minute… that’s the proposed new Vancouver art museum designed by Swiss starchitects Herzog & de Meuron. Anyone who’s been through the Vancouver Airport knows that they are very into the “environmental look” there. In the building trades, that means lots of wood, because wood is “organic” and “natural.” It is of nature, and therefore stands for nature in the center of the horrible mechanistic city, with all its baleful glass-skinned boxes. Note, also, the miniature British Columbian forest around the base, a totemistic exercise to ward off the encroaching anti-nature of the surrounding city. The darn thing looks a bit top-heavy, though, as if the top three boxes are supported by stacked levels of…playing cards! Lots of theoretical people in the rendering, enjoying the “green space.” Experience actually suggests that public places enfronted by multi-laned motoring corridors will probably be shunned by casual droppers-by. Modernism lives… until the long emergency drives a stake through its snooty heart.

Thanks to the nearly a dozen people who rushed to send this nominee in: Michael King, Lorne Beaton, et. al.

Edit: This is from Kunstler's "Eyesore of the Month" category.

http://kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2015

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can make walls that are more energy-efficient than any window but you can also make windows that are more energy-efficient than most walls actually built in the US.

e: Actually that might not even be true since walls don't let in light.

Yeah, look at Werner Sobek's buildings, he builds passive solar glass houses which are recyclable - he calls it Triple Zero „Zero Energy / Zero Emission / Zero Waste“.

Here's an article on one of his latest ones, B10, which is a bit experimental:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/greathomesanddestinations/a-glass-box-of-a-house-in-germany-that-thinks-for-itself.html?_r=0

He himself lives in R128, in Germany so its not like his designs only work in warm climates:

http://www.wernersobek.de/en/projects/material/glass/r128/

His houses are great but I'd appreciate a bit more privacy.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Blistex posted:

This could easily work in a cold enviroment, too. Just need to make sure the windows and wall sare properly insulating. I've seen houses here in Norway with really large windows, and "winter verandas" are a big trend in certain apartment complexes here.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 18, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grim Up North posted:

Yeah, look at Werner Sobek's buildings, he builds passive solar glass houses which are recyclable - he calls it Triple Zero „Zero Energy / Zero Emission / Zero Waste“.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/greathomesanddestinations/a-glass-box-of-a-house-in-germany-that-thinks-for-itself.html?_r=0

He himself lives in R128, in Germany so its not like his designs only work in warm climates:

He can call it that, but it sounds like marketingspeak.

The link says that house R128 is "is self-sufficient in terms of heating energy requirement" which is significantly different from "self-sufficient." It claims the enclosing triple-glazing has a k-factor of 0.4, which is about 10 times that of fiberglass or foamed-plastic insulation.

His stuff at least looks good, though.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Kunstler's website was down for a little while and it made me sad because no one complains about lovely buildings like him.

It's back now.

make sure not to give us the link our anything though

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It really doesn't look that bad, at least in concept art. It feels like minimalism crashed in orientalism. It's not super practical but art museums get some slack in that regard.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Fabricated posted:

It's back now.

He's got bad opinions about open space, HTH.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I really dislike 432 Park Avenue.

It looks like the original WTC. But if the WTC was made of Lego, 432 Park is made of Duplo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jaramin posted:

So does everyone. It was literally inspired by a trash can.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

While we love to rag on Ghery but it is important to remember that a lovely building that doesn't meet the needs of the occupants, is awful to maintain, and is not easily fixed/renovated is possible in any style.

The brutalist FBI building is a good example.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

I'm the gigantic tape dispenser.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jaramin posted:

It looks like the original WTC. But if the WTC was made of Lego, 432 Park is made of Duplo.

It looks more like it's made from these:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Adix posted:

make sure not to give us the link our anything though
Put in an edit but:

http://kunstler.com/featured-eyesore-of-the-month/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Grim Up North posted:

Here's a video of a house of a Japanese couple with cats. There are some elements of the architecture that I find interesting like breaking up the hard boundary of inside and outside without giving up privacy, but lol its a high-concept deathtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgEfY4ZB8YY

Sweet Jesus. I got vertigo just from watching that.

• Locked thread