Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The black and white one is better, getting stuff in focus matters about as much as Vendagoat's opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

try it with a lime posted:

The black and white one is better, getting stuff in focus matters about as much as Vendagoat's opinions.

My Opinions, My photography and this thread....

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

hi liter posted:

So I was grumpy about the blown focus but a month later I still kind of like this photo. Same as before, poo poo or not poo poo? Also, better as color or black and white?

Critique: They are loving terrible. Post less.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Black and white one is pretty good but I think it could go with some richer blacks/contrast on the shadow end.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm getting some mixed signals here. I'll split the middle and come away with the conclusion that its 'meh' and could be better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not a good photographer but here's my feedback:

* it's out of focus, you know this already
* it's not well framed, the crown doesn't work cropped imo and there's a ton of poo poo in the right hand side of the frame that detracts
* I'm not seeing anything of interest

The 3rd one is the killer one. The other 2 you could probably get away with on an individual basis, but I don't know what it is I'm supposed to take away from it. The kid has some weird expression on her face after touching a dog who doesn't seem interested. There's nothing here at all.

Do you know the kid in question? Maybe the dog? If so perhaps they are biasing your opinion. You said after a month you still like it, but what is it you like? Nobody here knows, I'm afraid.

E: after looking at your Flickr and realising you're the guy who posted that neat rainbow light picture 2 pages ago, I'm guessing you're totally loving with us. Your bike photos look sweet, I totally need to hook up with my friends who still skate and see how badly I do at that.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 15, 2015

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing you're totally loving with us. Your bike photos look sweet, I totally need to hook up with my friends who still skate and see how badly I do at that.

I'm not trying to gently caress with anyone, I'm just trying to put forth an :effort: and don't have people to get feedback from outside of this forum. Like I mentioned I've been kind of back on forth on this and I wanted the opinion of the thread, which I have since gotten and appreciate.

I do know the dog, it's my friends service dog. A group of three kids ran up and started excitedly petting it as kids tend to do, and I tried to capture that moment, which I felt was a spontaneous human interaction worth trying to capture. I have 4 shots from that, and I liked this one the most because I captured a clear subject (the girl in the crown) as she looked up to my friend to ask her about the dogs name and such. I think I had just taken a strangers portrait beforehand and was shooting at f/2.8 to isolate him, and didn't stop down again before this happened. Focus is something people are divided on though, so YMMV.

Getting feedback as helped me think more critically of this photo. I'm now thinking of ways this could have been stronger. I could have captured a better expression of joy/moment. Also I'm kind of tall, and the steep angle looking down on the girl puts her in an somewhat demeaning perspective. We spent a solid minute interacting with her and her friends while they pet the dog, and I could have talked to her a little more and gotten her to pose for the things I mentioned before (perspective, expression). I personally like the hand reaching down to the girl on the right side of the frame, I feel like its a typical gesture of how adults interact with children, but again, from the perspective of the photo its awkward.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

hi liter posted:

I'm not trying to gently caress with anyone, I'm just trying to put forth an :effort: and don't have people to get feedback from outside of this forum. Like I mentioned I've been kind of back on forth on this and I wanted the opinion of the thread, which I have since gotten and appreciate.

I do know the dog, it's my friends service dog. A group of three kids ran up and started excitedly petting it as kids tend to do, and I tried to capture that moment, which I felt was a spontaneous human interaction worth trying to capture. I have 4 shots from that, and I liked this one the most because I captured a clear subject (the girl in the crown) as she looked up to my friend to ask her about the dogs name and such. I think I had just taken a strangers portrait beforehand and was shooting at f/2.8 to isolate him, and didn't stop down again before this happened. Focus is something people are divided on though, so YMMV.

Getting feedback as helped me think more critically of this photo. I'm now thinking of ways this could have been stronger. I could have captured a better expression of joy/moment. Also I'm kind of tall, and the steep angle looking down on the girl puts her in an somewhat demeaning perspective. We spent a solid minute interacting with her and her friends while they pet the dog, and I could have talked to her a little more and gotten her to pose for the things I mentioned before (perspective, expression). I personally like the hand reaching down to the girl on the right side of the frame, I feel like its a typical gesture of how adults interact with children, but again, from the perspective of the photo its awkward.

1) you are overthinking it.
2) if you are back and forth on a photo, it means it probably sucks. Go back to it in a month and see if you still feel the same.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's a bad photo. It's an out of focus portrait with a weird facial expression and no context to support it.

See: you are over thinking it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's a bad photo. It's an out of focus portrait with a weird facial expression and no context to support it.

See: you are over thinking it.

This plus it's a totally meaningless photo. Feels like a random camera phone shot you took just for fun. It's the kind of photo I would delete straight-away when curating my photos, unless that kid was my daughter or that's my dog.

If you feel it's a moment worth capturing, then you have the do the usual position yourself properly, compose properly, etc etc. And if you failed, like in this photo, used the lessons you've learned from the feedback and go out to take more. We all have tons of poo poo photos like this anyway.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 15, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hi liter posted:

I'm not trying to gently caress with anyone, I'm just trying to put forth an :effort: and don't have people to get feedback from outside of this forum.

The reason I thought you might be messing with us is because the rest of your stuff in your Flickr is just so, so, much better.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

* it's not well framed, the crown doesn't work cropped imo and there's a ton of poo poo in the right hand side of the frame that detracts

The photo isn't particularly thrilling or anything, but the takeaway if anything is the framing. There's a lot going on in the edges that lead the eye very well (at least in the B/W version, colour one doesn't work at all), it functions on that level much better than most of the stuff in this thread. This is a good shot to learn from, but apart from any sentimental attachment, it's probably not worth holding on to.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if in doubt, toss it out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What's That in the Window? (Antigua, Guatemala) by Esa Foto, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jesus...

The people are so loving ancillary, but.....

It's good.

It does not belong here.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Jesus...

The people are so loving ancillary, but.....

It's good.

It does not belong here.
Stop loving posting please

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
*Vendagoat shatners out of the thread *
*faaaart*

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

*Vendagoat shatners out of the thread *
*faaaart*

8th-snype packed my bags....

Pre flight......

Zero.......hour.....

Nine..am.

and I'm gonna be hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh as ansel autisms, by
then.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'll never understand this thread.

south-east-asia-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

huhu posted:

I'll never understand this thread.

south-east-asia-1 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

I like this. Why is the photo private?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

I like this. Why is the photo private?
Didn't actually want it showing up on my Flickr.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Selfies by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

ansel autisms posted:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Can we pretend these are not backs of heads, and that there is no rogue shirtless fat biker in the second photo? TIA

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VendaGoat posted:

8th-snype packed my bags....

Pre flight......

Zero.......hour.....

Nine..am.

and I'm gonna be hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh as ansel autisms, by
then.
I hope your plane crashes into the ocean.

Which one of the portland krew is that in the zip off pants?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Musket

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Somehow, the guy taking the selfie looks a lot like Marco Pierre White...

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Nah it's Bryan "Mr Green Jeans" Peterson, author of Understanding Exposure

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm sure he sold that selfie for a tiny fortune and will remember to tell us all about it in his next book.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

feigning interest posted:

Nah it's Bryan "Mr Green Jeans" Peterson, author of Understanding Exposure

Holy poo poo, it's totally him.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

That magnificent hairline and glorious package is unmistakable

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Print the photo and ask for an autograph

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Mr Yuck
Jun 5, 2005

She was your regular kinda dame.. Then she put me into a deep beta freeze..
Heading off to war ain't such a happy thing.

Off to war by Mryuck88, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Reggio Emilia by Massimiliano Marsiglietti, su Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel