Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

e: Fox News didn't tell me which side to take. Is it the combat veteran or the stand-your-ground gunman?

You can almost hear something in the Fox journalist break as he tries to decide to support the armed gunman or the former bomb sniffing dog.

"Guy saves himself with gun! Good!"

"Saved himself from dog?"

"Dog was pet of a veteran with PTSD...dog had PTSD?"

"Dog was awarded combat veteran?"

"But...good guy with gun saved the day! Right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why does a dog get a medel? Doesn't that cheapen it for the people?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If I were that dog I would not just stand there and let him shoot me.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

PhazonLink posted:

Personally, I'd say humans getting medals cheapens it for the heroic dogs.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Naw, most people who earn straight Bronze Stars are staff weanies who get it as an end of tour award. The Dog probably did more for the war than they did.

The Dog should have been carrying.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PhazonLink posted:

As I understand it the stars were awarded to the guy and they wrote the dog in to be nice.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

Naw, most people who earn straight Bronze Stars are staff weanies who get it as an end of tour award. The Dog probably did more for the war than they did.

The Dog should have been carrying.

Wow even the army is giving millennials participation trophies.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The gunman can't get everyone if all the neighborhood dogs rush him at once.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Something Else posted:

How about a loving warning shot?

Silence, you fool! You'll summon LeJackal to the thread!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Silence, you fool! You'll summon LeJackal to the thread!

We have a whole thread for that now. Like a beacon of 'human being' accusations and gun pics.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That dog story is the saddest thing I've read in forever. I was messed up for a long time after my dog died and we didn't fight in a loving war and have PTSD together.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

Dog awards are informal and not officially recognized. Dogs are equipment according to the DoD. Equipment cannot receive awards.

Unless they changed rules recently, there are dumb things like not giving government subsidized healthcare to retired military dogs, because you don't pay maintenance costs on discarded equipment.

IIRC there were bills to at least allow the DoD to allow private entities to donate money to be dispersed. War is Hell.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mlmp08 posted:

Dog awards are informal and not officially recognized. Dogs are equipment according to the DoD. Equipment cannot receive awards.

o rly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Effectiveness_Award

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Classical bigotry in the military being hung around our necks like some sort of albatross.

What if a Humvee does a really good job? Does it not earn the oil change by the sweat of its brow?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Something Else posted:

Man shoots elderly WW2 veteran sitting on porch while trying to fend off attack from War Hero Service Dog

You failed the mission

Continue? YES/NO

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ben Pawson throwaway account spotted

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Navy is loving weird and that's really no different than a unit award IMO. If they gave a specific serialized cannon an award it's be more apt to what I was talking about.

Yeah after reading that lol the equipment is not getting the award.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

CommieGIR posted:

We have a whole thread for that now. Like a beacon of 'human being' accusations and gun pics.

That sounds about right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like this Huffingtonpost article because the idea of Rubio and Bush tearing at each other while Trump throws in weapons is great.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tension-builds-between-2016-gop-rivals-rubio-and-bush_56225e71e4b0bce34700f056?hzolxr

Or maybe they're faking us out and then they'll turn on Trump and hit him with a chair!!!

REPORTED
Feb 15, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That dog story is the saddest thing I've read in forever. I was messed up for a long time after my dog died and we didn't fight in a loving war and have PTSD together.

It really is. I went to an event a couple weeks ago about PTSD and TBI, and one of the issues discussed was how helpful service dogs are to people suffering from those conditions. There was a woman there with PTSD who said without her service dog, she would have a hard time leaving her home. I hope this guy gets the help he needs (but it won't come from the laughably ineffective treatment provided to most veterans) before it's too late.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mr. mephistopheles posted:

My family dog is ailing and I've been surprised by how much it's hosed me up. People are lucky to have a best friend as good and loyal as the dog.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
So when you get where you're going, do you take the gun out of your bike holster and put it in your sling holster, or do you lock the gun to the bike?

In which case why not just put it in your sling holster in the first place?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Stories like this make me in favor of no guns, they're a crutch for the weak and the cowardly.

edit:

quote:

When he shot the animal, it was about 5-10 feet away, the man said. He had not thought the single round of bird shot had killed the dog, Mathess said of the man’s account.

A dog is barking at you 5-10 feet away is not an attacking dog.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Hollismason posted:

I like this Huffingtonpost article because the idea of Rubio and Bush tearing at each other while Trump throws in weapons is great.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tension-builds-between-2016-gop-rivals-rubio-and-bush_56225e71e4b0bce34700f056?hzolxr

Or maybe they're faking us out and then they'll turn on Trump and hit him with a chair!!!

It's pretty funny that the article barely mentions in passing that they are both polling in the single digits.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Something Else posted:

Dogs are smart and all but I don't think they really comprehend the concept of a warning shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Dogs are smart and all but I don't think they really comprehend the concept of a warning shot.

Especially one trained to survive in combat environments.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

The Navy is loving weird and that's really no different than a unit award IMO. If they gave a specific serialized cannon an award it's be more apt to what I was talking about.

Yeah after reading that lol the equipment is not getting the award.

Imagine getting your pill factory blown up by these chucklefucks.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Westboro Baptist is doing some next level trolling.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cheekio posted:

Stories like this make me in favor of no guns, they're a crutch for the weak and the cowardly.

edit:

A dog is barking at you 5-10 feet away is not an attacking dog.

Yeah it wasn't like trying to tear his leg off. Just to remind people the man was not treated afaik from reading the article for any injuries.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Isn't there a lot of weird misogynistic stuff with the President's office as well? Other than the First Lady thing. It's going to be cool as hell having her as a president.

It's so weird that the office of the Leader of the Global Patriarchy would have sexist or misogynistic trappings!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Maybe they realized their agenda will get more support if they argue the opposite.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BonoMan posted:

"Bicycle Mounted Holster."

That's like some lovely hipster band name. Also someone has a bicycle mounted holster which just makes me hate life.

I could see that as a viable thing if you're biking on trails a lot out there or down in to the Rockies where "oh hey a grizzly/cougar I guess I should bike away" as your only option means you're dead dead if it decides to follow you and you don't have a lot of open ground to haul rear end across (even then I give the cougar good odds at being able to run you down). Biking through (sub)urban areas not so much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

Despite its vocal anti-gay agenda, the church believes that Davis should issue marriage licenses to gay couples, saying she has a duty to uphold the laws of God and the laws of man – referring to the oath she swore to the Constitution.
Kim Davis' Lawyers Say Altered Marriage Licenses Are Valid
"God will NEVER have Same-Sex Marriage, but he does not require YOU to disobey to deal with this nation," the church wrote on its website, which says picketers will protest Davis's Rowan County Clerk's Office on Sunday morning.
The church's problem with Davis stems from the supposed sins in her personal life, the church said.

:psyduck:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Fred Phelps dying really opened them up to new ideas.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The WBC is right.

About a thing.

How many signs of the apocalypse are we at now?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fred Phelps dying really opened them up to new ideas.

Wait, that old fucker finally died? How on earth did I miss that?!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wait, that old fucker finally died? How on earth did I miss that?!

Dropped dead last spring.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Dropped dead last spring.

Gonna be smiling all day, despite learning of it so late.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't have a funeral or something like that either so people couldn't picket it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't have a funeral or something like that either so people couldn't picket it.

Pretty certain Fred Phelps was disowned by his family/the WBC on his deathbed, which is probably why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I gotta watch the news more, this is great.

• Locked thread