Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Tanreall posted:

It's not active right now but you can make channels in the misc section. They just don't stick around after you leave. If we get enough people coming on mumble we can ask LumberingTroll for a normal channel.

Misc channels actually do seem to stick around. I had one for me and a friend like 3 months ago and its still up in the misc section. I'll go ahead and throw up WoW is a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Guess I messed up because I had made it earlier but it's gone now.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Tanreall posted:

Guess I messed up because I had made it earlier but it's gone now.

weird, oh well its up now.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Ok I'll be a gnome warlock at server up. I'll get on mumble a half hour or so before the server is up.

I'm down for skipping early stuff. I only need to kill the mages in the caves to get 3 feathers (seem to be 100% drop) so I can train imp. But I'm down for skipping anything else.

I figure we can start out, go straight to the burly Trogg and troll camps in the to to grind. Once we get close to 5 we can head to the tunnels and grind boars before we ding 6 and start at Kharanos.

Now green or pink hair...

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 17, 2015

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
I'm on trains all day today, so I'm looking forward to winding down tonight wih this. And then getting wound up again trying to actually do quests.

:effort: is taking the lead so far. I can't remember, can chat channels be created by anyone in game? I'll try to jump on mumble, but having an in game chat until the guild is up would be helpful as well.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Bahaha, I like Lowtax Shrugged, I'm not very imaginative so if it was me I'd probably just call the guild Zanu PF

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Guess I'll have to download (and config) Mumble.

I could also check out Discord more fully, if you folks are interested, but I don't much know about it.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
You guys are monsters our guild name is going to be a loving emoji.

I've never used Discord but I don't really care as long as we have a place to shoot the poo poo while leveling and running dungeons.

EDIT: If you played on another server or the PvP server you might need to run this notepad ++ fix. To get your addons working correctly on the new PvE server. Obviously change it to Nostalrius Begins PvE not what's in the post. https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23695&start=40#p163946

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 17, 2015

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
So I was messing on PvP server for an hour to dry run skipping newb area stuff. Is the long relieving character list the servers being slammed?

Also what was that WDB folder deleting?

I want to make sure I've got all my poo poo straight for launch to avoid the plague of newbies.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
The WDB folder is a cache of information from the server. If you unzip a fresh copy of WoW 1.12.1, it will be pre-populated with 1.12.1 data, which means item descriptions will be wrong, since the the server will be running on an earlier patch. Deleting the WDB folder prompts the client to fetch all the item particulars and other stuff from the server to re-populate the cache with the correct data.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Edit: Too slow

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Billy Elliot posted:

Also what was that WDB folder deleting?

Edit: found it
Deleted my WTF file (for some reason I recall having to do that every so often) as well.

Dunno what I am going to be yet. Thinking grabbing names, then perhaps a pally that will swap to end game healeradin.

This is at 11AM MT if my scientific calculations work correctly.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 17, 2015

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Should I expect to be getting disconnected upon trying to log in at this point? I know it's early but was going to peek into PvP for the time being.

Aha,

quote:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft Classic which includes the Screenshots, WDB & WTF folder.

WDB and WTF files are also hiding there, awaiting deletion. All is good now.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 17, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cartouche posted:

Should I expect to be getting disconnected upon trying to log in at this point? I know it's early but was going to peek into PvP for the time being.

They updated their realm list with the new PvE realm but when you attempt to connect you get instantly disconnected.

Then you try logging in again, it successfully authenticates and attempts to connect to your last selected realm (Nos PvE) and you get instantly disconnected.

To fix it, open the file WTF\Config.wtf in a text editor and change the line

code:
SET realmName "Nostalrius Begins PvE"
To

code:
SET realmName "Nostalrius Begins PvP"

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Cartouche posted:

Aha,
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft Classic which includes the Screenshots, WDB & WTF folder.

WDB and WTF files are also hiding there, awaiting deletion. All is good now.

I don't have this? I was using the old Rebirth/ED install standard install file, should I be using some custom Nost install? I had been fine logging on the PvP server for testing but had some of those long delays retrieving character list.All my WTF/WDB/SS folders re in my wow 1.12 install.

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2015

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
You should be fine if you were connecting to the PvP server.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I keep my WoW folder inside my user folder on Windows 7 to make sure it doesn't need admin rights to write to any of its files. That VirtualStore garbage is Microsoft's attempt to solve the problem with old software that wanted to write data to its %PROGRAMFILES% folder.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So we should be deleting WTF as well as WDB?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

So we should be deleting WTF as well as WDB?

IIRC, the wtf folder sometimes get fugly and needs deleted. They both reappear fresh after you log back in.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
WTF contains all your interface/addon settings which I guess you'd want to reset anyway, so sure. If you have addons installed then don't.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I can't make heads or tails of Mumble's new certificate thing. But I've set us up with a Discord server. The link should be this one: https://discordapp.com/channels/104975094312341504/104975094312341504

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Once we get character names nailed down, perhaps list them for each person in this thread?

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

For anyone that's interested, I have a levelling guide/FAQ for vanilla wow located here that can help you decide on race/class choices, levelling specs, etc. I asked a lot of nolifers on nostalrius for their opinions on each class, and everyone has a different opinion so please don't argue over the minutiae. If you don't like min/maxxing thats fine the only race/class combos that actually matter are Dwarf Priest and human rogue/warrior to a much lesser degree.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Asclepius posted:

:effort: is taking the lead so far. I can't remember, can chat channels be created by anyone in game? I'll try to jump on mumble, but having an in game chat until the guild is up would be helpful as well.

They can to my knowledge, unless that was different in early vanilla. I'd also like an ingame chat til we get the guild charter done.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

AzureSkye posted:

They can to my knowledge, unless that was different in early vanilla. I'd also like an ingame chat til we get the guild charter done.

Wow is a video game is winning.

So I deleted my WDB and WTF folders and am ready to go. I hope.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I'm going to nerd out and stream at http://www.twitch.tv/rankil if anyone gives a poo poo to watch.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:siren: its up :siren:

gotcha

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Stuck on "Connected" forever, rip

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Character Creation failed?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

a real jerk posted:

Character Creation failed?

Yep. Not sure what's up with that.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I was actually in briefly but character creation failed and like a moron I went back to the realm selection list.

I just want to grab a couple of favorite character names before I go to lunch.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Is something wonky on my end or is the PvE server listed as PvP under type.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

AzureSkye posted:

Is something wonky on my end or is the PvE server listed as PvP under type.

I saw that earlier too. Not sure what's up with that.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

In as povertyghost the warrior. Also snagged oomkin, clownbaby, and spankbank.

No goku though :(

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
In as Niliah, human warlock. Also good lord northshire abbey right now.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Try /join Goons when you get in and see if that channel works until the guild is up.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Hurrah, got my character names. I'll be in as Melni-Dwarf Priest later. I wonder if the lowbie zone furor will have died down in another 10 hours..

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Asclepius posted:

Try /join Goons when you get in and see if that channel works until the guild is up.

Channel is working, erryone do this please.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

"Wow is a video game" is just terrible. You can't even search for it.

On as Silverlox, Gnome Warlock.

Starting area is PACKED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In as Beep, gnome warlock. Don't have mumble on this computer, since it's not my usual one.

• Locked thread