Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
that marine should be really happy to see that he didn't lose his legs for no good reason. look at all those little assholes not exercising their rights. drat.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
"kevin, i lost my legs as payback for that time we all raped an iraqi girl and shot her dad right in front of her. then we blew up a wedding with the assistance of deadly sky robots"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"hey mister, which war did you fight in again? because america's freedom hasn't been at stake since the 19th century"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
having to pledge allegiance to the country every day in school is the weirdest thing. does anyone else even do that or is it only america and like north korea?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what happened at fukishma? The lftr dude says it was just a hydrogen explosion but the wiki page and other stuff says radiation containerization happened and also theres those pictures of whole places abandoned.

I wanna believe the lftr man but i gotta get the facts on this

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

big scary monsters posted:

having to pledge allegiance to the country every day in school is the weirdest thing. does anyone else even do that or is it only america and like north korea?

only in those two and possibly any up and coming fascist countries, have to work to brain wash those masses you know

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
i pledge allegiance to yospos, funny computer for all, till death do us part amen

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure one of the reactors had a meltdown

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

what happened at fukishma? The lftr dude says it was just a hydrogen explosion but the wiki page and other stuff says radiation containerization happened and also theres those pictures of whole places abandoned.

an earthquake and subsequent tsumani knocked out power and backup generators, which shut down cooling to three of the reactors. there were hydrogen explosions too, but those came from oxidized zirconium

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

KoRMaK posted:

iirc it melted down (obv) and aside from the initial outpouring of radtiation the meltdown has been contained, but eventually it will work its way into the nearby ocean. the problem with getting in there and doing work to avoid it leaking into nearby water is that it's just too radioactive to get close to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
kamikaze fukushima warboys

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

its even creepier if you pay close attention to the wording - youre pledging allegience to the flag, first and foremost, and also to the nation for which it stands

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

this would make for a good moosemilkie

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Space-Pope posted:

iirc it melted down (obv) and aside from the initial outpouring of radtiation the meltdown has been contained, but eventually it will work its way into the nearby ocean. the problem with getting in there and doing work to avoid it leaking into nearby water is that it's just too radioactive to get close to

The hydrogen explosions were due to the spent fuel rod pools running out of water and the rods overheating and oxidising the zirconium casings. The explosions seriously hosed up the pools and risked the rods melting. The "solution" to this was to continuously pump sea water over the wrecked buildings to keep them cool. Huge volumes of radioactive water have been created by this which they have no loving clue what to do with.

Last I heard they were going make an ice wall to stop it leaking into the environment

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/03/11/national/fukushima-1s-never-ending-battle-radioactive-water/

edit:

And lol at the idea of the problem being contained.

They are dumping 300 tons of irradiated water into the sea every day.

jre fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 17, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FMguru posted:

its even creepier if you pay close attention to the wording - youre pledging allegience to the flag, first and foremost, and also to the nation for which it stands

i thought that's because the flag is the primary symbol of the usa

in a nation with only a couple hundred years of shared history, based on immigrants, you have to project your patriotism and national pride on something else (rather than a deeper well of culture and history), and the flag is a pretty good symbol for that

saluting it each morning and pledging your allegiance to it is where it gets creepy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

no it's p hosed up jingoistic bullshit

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
clearly they just need to build this: http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

just slap some evangelion references in there and i'm sure they can get the funding

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Clean coal: power for the future, today

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

i thought that's because the flag is the primary symbol of the usa

in a nation with only a couple hundred years of shared history, based on immigrants, you have to project your patriotism and national pride on something else (rather than a deeper well of culture and history), and the flag is a pretty good symbol for that

saluting it each morning and pledging your allegiance to it is where it gets creepy

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jre posted:

The hydrogen explosions were due to the spent fuel rod pools running out of water and the rods overheating and oxidising the zirconium casings. The explosions seriously hosed up the pools and risked the rods melting. The "solution" to this was to continuously pump sea water over the wrecked buildings to keep them cool. Huge volumes of radioactive water have been created by this which they have no loving clue what to do with.

Last I heard they were going make an ice wall to stop it leaking into the environment

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/03/11/national/fukushima-1s-never-ending-battle-radioactive-water/

edit:

And lol at the idea of the problem being contained.

They are dumping 300 tons of irradiated water into the sea every day.

nitpicking but this is yospos after all, irradiated water doesn't matter the problem is that it's radioactive

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

in some states it's actually mandatory for kids in school to salute the flag, there's no choice to opt-out. It's mostly the same states where they still practice corporal punishment in schools

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ack ackkkkk

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Broken Machine posted:

in some states it's actually mandatory for kids in school to salute the flag, there's no choice to opt-out. It's mostly the same states where they still practice corporal punishment in schools
wow i didn't even realise this still went on in the states. is it one of those on the books but never actually happens things or are teachers actually beating kids? how often do they get hit back?

here is a cool view of pluto

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Damon Dubots ‏@BigDDubots Oct 12

I miss the specific ocean

I went to Asheville last weekend and some woman asked my girlfriend if she had seen Mars Attacks! Keep Asheville weird, etc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wow i didn't even realise this still went on in the states. is it one of those on the books but never actually happens things or are teachers actually beating kids? how often do they get hit back?

still practiced; the supreme court found requiring students to recite the pledge illegal decades ago and it doesn't matter, the south, and yes they still paddle kids but need parental consent

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs-q-2893uw

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

do they let kids recite the pledge in Spanish or is that not allowed

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

that would be like reciting the lord's prayer not in latin

so no

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Katana Gomai posted:

do they let kids recite the pledge in Spanish or is that not allowed

hispanics count as black and are thus forced to attend a school that can't afford a flag

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SATURDAY EVENING MOTHER FUCKERS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alone in a dark room

sounds about right

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

SATURDAY EVENING MOTHER FUCKERS

your burgers are glowing and it looks like the one on the right is talking

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
that's just my poor camera skills

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

that's just my poor camera skills

i have a friend who studied photography and the only thing he ever told me about photography is "if you don't know how to use a flash, DON'T." my pictures got noticably better since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

your burgers are glowing and it looks like the one on the right is talking

in the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room

• Locked thread