Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it looks a lot harder than it actually is

maintaining chef/puppet on a local machine is as simple as what you described: you stick poo poo in a git repo and run "script-to-setup-server.sh"

you stupid fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i wasn't suggesting creating a bash script, but rather using the command 'script' to log cli stuff as i'm setting up whatever. you know, just to serve as a reference for later if/when i want to set up another vm. seems like it would be needs suiting. whenever i do setup another vm, it might not be on the same os version, or maybe it will be a different os entirely.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
haha lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

i wasn't suggesting creating a bash script, but rather using the command 'script' to log cli stuff as i'm setting up whatever. you know, just to serve as a reference for later if/when i want to set up another vm. seems like it would be needs suiting. whenever i do setup another vm, it might not be on the same os version, or maybe it will be a different os entirely.

wtf, wtf is this

lol cool:

code:
Script started on Sat 17 Oct 2015 01:43:34 PM EDT
➜  ~  man script
➜  ~  script --help

Usage:
 script [options] [file]

Make a typescript of a terminal session.

Options:
 -a, --append            append the output
 -c, --command <command> run command rather than interactive shell
 -e, --return            return exit code of the child process
 -f, --flush             run flush after each write
     --force             use output file even when it is a link
 -q, --quiet             be quiet
 -t, --timing[=<file>]   output timing data to stderr (or to FILE)
 -V, --version           output version information and exit
 -h, --help              display this help and exit

For more details see script(1).
&#10140;  ~  man script
&#10140;  ~  exit

Script done on Sat 17 Oct 2015 01:43:57 PM EDT

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow it's like autoexpect but somehow dumber

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
obviously the answer is to use absible to install puppet/chef and then go from there

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

wow it's like autoexpect but somehow dumber

i dunno what that is either but this is useful and I will start to use it

thanks barnyard protien

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you don't know what expect is ... ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nope

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
now I do. that's neat. fortunately ive never needed that thanks to only being a programmer after the year 2012

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

now I do. that's neat. fortunately ive never needed that thanks to only being a programmer after the year 2012

it's still useful for automating processes you couldn't easily otherwise

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
expect is a great tool, this article is very interesting and worth a read http://expect.sourceforge.net/doc/seven-years.html

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Broken Machine posted:

it's still useful for automating processes you couldn't easily otherwise

i'm not an ops guy so it's not something that i do often / ever.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
barnyard there is nothing complicated about ansible. you pretty much only need two files on your local system. the host inventory and your playbook

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

pram posted:

barnyard there is nothing complicated about ansible. you pretty much only need two files on your local system. the host inventory and your playbook

i'll have to give it another look the next time i have to setup a linux. i guess its like learning maven, where at first it was confusing as gently caress but its easy and great now that i know the problem its trying to solve.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

you write your 'commands' in yml and you put all the important variables in {{ these }} in your config templates and that's it really

someone will come and tell me thinking in commands is impure and gross and you should be describing state but its the easiest way to get started

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 17, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i told him he needed configuration management, which is not the same thing

installing one rpm to get a local puppet/chef is a sane and necessary measure for any linux deployment, no matter how small

setting up a puppet or chef server for one vm would be really dumb and no one would recommend that

I wonder why things like the Intel Edison board don't come with this kind of set-up, given the main idea is to have many of them

I've thought about getting a couple more to start doing more prototyping with, and it seems like having some tools I could run on my main Linux box that would then just push the right everything to the Edisons would work well

do any Linux distributions even come set up to search for directory service bindings at startup? OS X will find directory services automatically via Bonjour and I think DHCP during first boot set-up, and ask if you want to set up the system's admin account as a remote user account (which will also make the system use those directory service bindings)

you can also use MDM to push directory service bindings to Macs

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

eschaton posted:

I wonder why things like the Intel Edison board don't come with this kind of set-up, given the main idea is to have many of them

the cross-domain knowledge isn't there. that is the case in my work experience, at least.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

I've thought about getting a couple more to start doing more prototyping with, and it seems like having some tools I could run on my main Linux box that would then just push the right everything to the Edisons would work well

do any Linux distributions even come set up to search for directory service bindings at startup? OS X will find directory services automatically via Bonjour and I think DHCP during first boot set-up, and ask if you want to set up the system's admin account as a remote user account (which will also make the system use those directory service bindings)

yes you can have a pxe and kickstart server that can bootstrap physical servers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

god that idiot with the vps listening to bsd about setting up a chef or puppet master

you would have to be an idiot to set up a puppet master for only one vm

that's loving ridiculous

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

which will now be on the rhce gents so study up

that seems unlikely. red hat already owns/maintains/sells two other configuration management systems (cloudforms, satellite) and neither of those is on the rhce.

they also have a third system, a puppet-based replacement for satellite that is in never-ending beta.

so i guess now red hat is really doing four different systems, because reasons

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well he didnt set up anything period. fantastic work, epic even

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

well he didnt set up anything period. fantastic work, epic even

seems about right for linux. a never-ending cycle

1. person with time, need, and interest enters a linux support group
  2. nerds argue about what the best course is
  3. o.p. fucks off and does something retarded because sifting through advice is tiring

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

do any Linux distributions even come set up to search for directory service bindings at startup?

no, because there are about 5,000 directory configurations using a loving grab bag of technologies

• ldap (and every office has its own LDAP schema and schema extensions)
  • kerberos (sometimes this is combined with ldap. sometimes it's not. and there are three major implementations, all different)
  • active directory, which is a combination of ldap, kerberos, and proprietary pixie dust. (and it often falls over if you tie unix clients to it, because unix clients are chatty as gently caress)
  • nis
  • nis+ (yes this is completely, totally distinct from regular nis)

after you have figured out your lovely grab bag of server side technologies, it's time to consider your wide set of client side technologies

• pam_ldap
  • pam_krb5
  • sssd
  • centrify
  • likewise
  • vintella

every item in this list duplicates the features of every other item. and it's very common to find two or more in use on the same system. enjoy

eschaton posted:

OS X will find directory services automatically via Bonjour and I think DHCP during first boot set-up, and ask if you want to set up the system's admin account as a remote user account (which will also make the system use those directory service bindings)

osx cuts the gordian knot by just sucking out loud. binding macs to directory services is an endless source of pain and suffering.

it's really easy to automatically configure something to not work

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 18, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
is there a name for the process of being technically write at the start of a conversation and then hurling yourself to the ground like a fish out of water while you gasp for air

because BSDing sounds like a good name for that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osx cuts the gordian knot by just sucking out loud. binding macs to directory services is an endless source of pain and suffering.

it's really easy to automatically configure something to not work

actually it seems to work pretty well in my experience, at least with Apple Open Directory as a server and OS X as a client

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
just wanted to drop in and say that nbsd is like a retarded rip van winkle, whereupon he might have known what he was talking about in mid 1980s but slept for a few decades, and JUST woke up, of course rather than learning anything he just gives dated, bad advice

also nbsd do you use FORTRAN or COBOL? that is a boolean question btw, not a multiple choice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

actually it seems to work pretty well in my experience, at least with Apple Open Directory as a server and OS X as a client

if this particular configuration did not work well, i would be disappointed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ldap is the first thing i ever used where i found myself thinking "this would be better if it used xml"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I currently can't get our drat OS X boxes to talk to the ldap servers but I blame oracles implementation because it's loving oracle

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh man are you using OID lol condolences

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
weve got that whole loving stack and its really nice to to see it go down and take all of SSO with it in one fell swoop

iirc its also the platform that torpedoed the gently caress out of healthcare.gov v1.0?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

I currently can't get our drat OS X boxes to talk to the ldap servers but I blame oracles implementation because it's loving oracle

there's plenty of blame to go around here

it's not like the osx directory service client works worth a drat. on the other hand, oracle. i'm sure no client works worth a drat ootb

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I busted out lirc tonight to setup an old usb receiver for xbmc and configuring it is just lol and I remember it being this bad like 10 years ago. stay classy, linux

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UG4lQOMBC4

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

I busted out lirc tonight to setup an old usb receiver for xbmc and configuring it is just lol and I remember it being this bad like 10 years ago. stay classy, linux

when you bust out 1990s technology you get 1990s results

i just have a wireless remote that is an HID device, no lirc or mapping required

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

:wtc:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cool update: im getting hosed up my rear end hardcore by cgdisk b/c i dont understand whats happening. fml + rip

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
another savage sick update: We're sorry, but your operating system is not currently supported by SlingPlayer for web. Please use either Mac OS X or Windows OS . Click here for more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

just watched through this waiting for it to start looking good