Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I got told to come here and post the (possibly) piece of poo poo I'm considering buying. I have no real preferred brand or design biases. I'll take the blandest looking poo poo as long as it displays well for it's price point.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-25um56p
I'm considering buying this because it's a 2560x1080 resolution screen at a cheap price. if it's garbage, I'll reconsider, but I really want to stay within $50 of that, so max of $250 for it.

what do you fellows think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That's a rather small monitor. The screen is only like 10 inches tall, which for a normal 16:9 monitor would be less than a 20 inch screen. If you don't mind that size (which for 1080p its good) then i don't see why not. It's ips at least.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

yeah, I can deal with the size arrangement. I do better with wider screens, as opposed to taller ones due to some eyesight issues.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks guys. I need to resolve this soon, as my current machine is on its last legs and threatening to die any moment.
Your first question is something this thread cannot answer for you: it's 100% a personal call. For me, I'd rather have 1440+ at 60FPS than 1080p at 80FPS. Other people feel the complete opposite. I will note that, as a general rule, people who are really into FPS games will generally benefit from higher framerate more than higher resolution, while RPG/MMO/strategy games are the other way around.

Of note, a single 980 will not be able to push TW3 on Ultra (hairworks lolololol) on a 1440+ screen at anything over about 55-60FPS. So if you want 2560x1600 and 60+ FPS, that's a Ti or bust, son. If you want 100FPS now you're talking SLI Ti's.

As to your second question, there are already several IPS monitors out with decent response times, though for most of them you're going to have to sacrifice those vertical lines, and accept 2560x1440p. Acer currently has the XB270HU, a 27" IPS 144Hz G-Sync monitor, and is coming out with several more in the 27-34" category soon(tm). ASUS has been baiting everyone along with promises of similar monitors but from a company that claims to actually have a QA process, but none have appeared yet. I don't think there are any 1600p monitors on the horizon with better than 60Hz rates, though, so there's your trade off.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

nehezir posted:

yeah, I can deal with the size arrangement. I do better with wider screens, as opposed to taller ones due to some eyesight issues.

We have those monitors at my university, they are super super tiny in actuality. The 29 inch model is much better for your money. The 25 is basically a 20 inch monitor with 30% more horizontal space, whereas the 29 is a 24 with 30% more. Vertical space makes a much bigger difference than you think.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

alright. I'll find a way to squeeze it in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the system building thread or here, but it's largely monitor-based, so here goes:

I'm building a new PC for work and gaming (games of note on my radar are Witcher 3, Cities Skylines and the recent Total War titles). I prefer the 16:10 ratio, and currently use a 1920x1200 screen (Dell U2410), but I thought it might be nice for both the aforementioned purposes to go up to 2560x1600. However, my concern is the extra horsepower draw.

Question 1. From a gaming point of view, is the resolution jump worth the extra resource drain? Am I better off staying with my current resolution and enjoying better framerates and max settings for longer, or should I take the jump up?

Bear in mind I can make the system pretty beefy if I want; I am looking at a new Skylake i7 with a GTX 980, maybe a Ti or Titan... maybe even two cards in SLI if advised to do so for smoother 2560×1600.

Question 2. I believe there were supposed to be some IPS screens coming out this year with decent response times. Any such monitors with native 2560×1600 to be aware of?

Thanks guys. I need to resolve this soon, as my current machine is on its last legs and threatening to die any moment.

Question 1: All you need is a single card, a 980ti. And yes it's worth playing at the higher res. A single 980ti will have no problems powering your games past 60fps at 2560x1600. Any other card will struggle by itself (any cheaper card).

I don't know about what's out there for those monitors.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

DrDork posted:

Your first question is something this thread cannot answer for you: it's 100% a personal call. For me, I'd rather have 1440+ at 60FPS than 1080p at 80FPS. Other people feel the complete opposite. I will note that, as a general rule, people who are really into FPS games will generally benefit from higher framerate more than higher resolution, while RPG/MMO/strategy games are the other way around.

Good point. I veer towards strategy and RPG, so that's a point in favour of upsizing resolution.

DrDork posted:

Of note, a single 980 will not be able to push TW3 on Ultra (hairworks lolololol) on a 1440+ screen at anything over about 55-60FPS. So if you want 2560x1600 and 60+ FPS, that's a Ti or bust, son. If you want 100FPS now you're talking SLI Ti's.

VelociBacon posted:

Question 1: All you need is a single card, a 980ti. And yes it's worth playing at the higher res. A single 980ti will have no problems powering your games past 60fps at 2560x1600. Any other card will struggle by itself (any cheaper card).

So it sounds like as long as I go really high end card-wise, performance at 2560x1600 shouldn't be a problem for a while. Think I might genuinely consider SLI this time round. Either Ti or Titan cards. Someone will probably tell me the latter is overkill.

DrDork posted:

As to your second question, there are already several IPS monitors out with decent response times, though for most of them you're going to have to sacrifice those vertical lines, and accept 2560x1440p. Acer currently has the XB270HU, a 27" IPS 144Hz G-Sync monitor, and is coming out with several more in the 27-34" category soon(tm). ASUS has been baiting everyone along with promises of similar monitors but from a company that claims to actually have a QA process, but none have appeared yet. I don't think there are any 1600p monitors on the horizon with better than 60Hz rates, though, so there's your trade off.

Hmm. The U2410 is not exactly a gaming monitor and I've never found it too problematic. Possibly in part because of the abovementioned genre preferences. I'd probably rather keep that extra bit of screen real estate than go for 2560x1440 with better gaming specs.

What are my best bets at 2560x1600 if I'm resigned to make that compromise?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 17, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Good point. I veer towards strategy and RPG, so that's a point in favour of upsizing resolution.

So it sounds like as long as I go really high end card-wise, performance at 2560x1600 shouldn't be a problem for a while. Think I might genuinely consider SLI this time round. Either Ti or Titan cards. Someone will probably tell me the latter is overkill.

Hmm. The U2410 is not exactly a gaming monitor and I've never found it too problematic. Possibly in part because of the abovementioned genre preferences. I'd probably rather keep that extra bit of screen real estate than go for 2560x1440 with better gaming specs.

Leaving aside response time/refresh rate, what does the thread generally recommend in terms of 2560x1600 monitors?

I just said you only need a single 980ti, why would you SLI for that resolution? It's pointless.

e: You also play the type of games which require the least GPU power.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Unless you intend to game at 1600p+ at 100+ FPS, a single 980Ti will be just fine, no need for SLI. Also Titans are a complete waste--50% more cost for about 5% more speed.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Witcher 3 is not GPU intensive? I've found the last two Elder Scrolls games to be heavy going too. I take the general point, though. Maybe I just have too much concern about the resource requirements of that resolution. So no reason to think I would be glad of the SLI in the future? I'd like to keep the performance up for a long time. I suppose if I need to there would probably be something to replace the 980ti with down the line.

What monitors should I consider, then? Is the U3014 a good bet?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 17, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

The reviews for the BenQ are only a few months old, but I also couldn't find any to buy. The Z35 is a better product though, if anything it at least has built in a USB hub and G-sync.

Had a guy at BestBuy check their system, it's already listed as end-of-life/no restock even though it's in their system as "stocked" until 2018. Also there are no units in the continental US. So weird.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Witcher 3 is not GPU intensive? I've found the last two Elder Scrolls games to be heavy going too. I take the general point, though. Maybe I just have too much concern about the resource requirements of that resolution. So no reason to think I would be glad of the SLI in the future? I'd like to keep the performance up for a long time. I suppose if I need to there would probably be something to replace the 980ti with down the line.

In all honesty if you want more power down the line picking up another 980ti and using SLI would probably be the best option (in the coming years). I know this stuff grows exponentially but it's hard to imagine what might require more than 2 SLI 980ti's.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

They probably mean MMORPGs, which are far more reliant on CPU than GPU. SLI carries it's own set of problems, micro stuttering, incompatibilities, and much higher heat/power issues. Generally when it comes to games, you have a choice of 3 options.

Detail, Frames, and Resolution. In most cases, you have to pick which of the two you want to have the most of (I.E. Higher Frames and Better Detail = lower resolution, Higher Resolution and Better detail = lower frames, and higher frames and better resolution = lower detail). When you pick up a super robust GPU (like the 980 ti), you have a lot more leeway between those choices. Think of it as an arbitrary point system, where your GPU determines how many points you can throw at each category. The 980 ti has the most points. Let's say 1080 is 10 points, 1440p is 20, and 4k is 30. You have 80 points with the 980 ti. You can run it at 4k with either lower frames or less detail, or run it at 1440p fully maxed.

Does that make sense?

meatliner
Apr 17, 2010
Anyone here using a Dell U2715H? I bought one recently and it has a noticeable amount of backlight bleed in the upper left corner. I've had multiple replacements from Dell, all of which seem worse than my original monitor. Do they all suffer from this? Should I seek a refund or stop being a manchild and just put up with it?

Between the bleeding and the IPS glow it seems like a downgrade from my U2410 which didn't have either of these problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

meatliner posted:

Anyone here using a Dell U2715H? I bought one recently and it has a noticeable amount of backlight bleed in the upper left corner. I've had multiple replacements from Dell, all of which seem worse than my original monitor. Do they all suffer from this? Should I seek a refund or stop being a manchild and just put up with it?

Between the bleeding and the IPS glow it seems like a downgrade from my U2410 which didn't have either of these problems.

It somewhat depends on your lighting conditions but backlight bleed is more common on larger models like the 27" ones, same thing for IPS glow. Even in TFT Central's review sample they noticed some pretty big brightness uniformity issues, so it might be a problem with that model. The Asus PB278Q seemed to be much more uniform and had less backlight leakage but since these are just review samples YMMV.

meatliner
Apr 17, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It somewhat depends on your lighting conditions but backlight bleed is more common on larger models like the 27" ones, same thing for IPS glow. Even in TFT Central's review sample they noticed some pretty big brightness uniformity issues, so it might be a problem with that model. The Asus PB278Q seemed to be much more uniform and had less backlight leakage but since these are just review samples YMMV.

The Dell forums seem to be awash with people complaining about uniformity issues on a "Professional" monitor. Dell support have been fantastic, I just get the feeling I'm wasting my time as all the samples they've sent me have the same problem in the same region of the screen. If I sought a refund, I'm not sure what would I would replace it with. The PB278Q looks OK but it seems to have a fair bit of input lag.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

FraudulentEconomics posted:

They probably mean MMORPGs, which are far more reliant on CPU than GPU. SLI carries it's own set of problems, micro stuttering, incompatibilities, and much higher heat/power issues. Generally when it comes to games, you have a choice of 3 options.

Detail, Frames, and Resolution. In most cases, you have to pick which of the two you want to have the most of (I.E. Higher Frames and Better Detail = lower resolution, Higher Resolution and Better detail = lower frames, and higher frames and better resolution = lower detail). When you pick up a super robust GPU (like the 980 ti), you have a lot more leeway between those choices. Think of it as an arbitrary point system, where your GPU determines how many points you can throw at each category. The 980 ti has the most points. Let's say 1080 is 10 points, 1440p is 20, and 4k is 30. You have 80 points with the 980 ti. You can run it at 4k with either lower frames or less detail, or run it at 1440p fully maxed.

Does that make sense?

Sure it does. I was trying to gauge the rough ratio of "points" for the top cards versus the resolution requirements, to use your way of explaining. I've got a good idea now, thanks to the kind responses.

I don't have any recommendation for a monitor yet, though. I'd like to know if I'm barking up the right alley thinking of the U3014. I'm pleased with the U2410, and the former seems like a good screen from some cursory research. Maybe there's better out there, though. I plan to do some more reading of course, but I know I will get knowledgeable recommendations in here, so I'd welcome any.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I have a single 980Ti and it stomps W3 at 3400x1400 - for the size you're looking at it's not going to be a problem.

In a couple of years you'll either have the choice of getting a second 980Ti for SLI, or offloading the one you have for the new hotness.

As far the monitor goes, 2560x1600 is a weird size, the U3014 is very good but also overkill for gaming as it's aimed more at graphic production etc. (and yet only does 60Hz refresh rate), but there aren't too many other options - seems to me for the cheap ones you have to go the Korean dropship route, since all the good poo poo is coming out in 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 sizes.

If money is no object the Dell is a pretty good bet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sure it does. I was trying to gauge the rough ratio of "points" for the top cards versus the resolution requirements, to use your way of explaining. I've got a good idea now, thanks to the kind responses.

I don't have any recommendation for a monitor yet, though. I'd like to know if I'm barking up the right alley thinking of the U3014. I'm pleased with the U2410, and the former seems like a good screen from some cursory research. Maybe there's better out there, though. I plan to do some more reading of course, but I know I will get knowledgeable recommendations in here, so I'd welcome any.

The U3014 is a really nice monitor but it's also really, really expensive. I'd look at the U3415W, it's much cheaper and you might end up liking the extra horizontal space more than the vertical space offered by the U3014.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

VelociBacon posted:

In all honesty if you want more power down the line picking up another 980ti and using SLI would probably be the best option (in the coming years). I know this stuff grows exponentially but it's hard to imagine what might require more than 2 SLI 980ti's.

Holding out for the new hotness and flipping it before people notice can work great too.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Looks like I'm an awkward bastard again, being dead set on 16:10 when it's so much less well catered for in a gaming sense than 16:9. But I like the extra pixels (and in those proportions) damnit.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Looks like I'm an awkward bastard again, being dead set on 16:10 when it's so much less well catered for in a gaming sense than 16:9. But I like the extra pixels (and in those proportions) damnit.

The original idea of 1920x1200 was A) fit 1600x1200 pillarboxed and B) fit 1080p editing with tools on screen.

2560x1440 can do both and still be 16:9.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't blame you, I'm using a 16:10 screen myself(Dell U2415) for much the same reasons but if you are looking to spend a shitload of money there are a lot of options you should look at before buying like the ultrawide screens or a more traditional 16:9/1440p screen, you can save a load of money that way. But if you think that the U3014 is what would make you happy and you are willing to spend the money on it I say go for it, better to be happy with the U3014 than unhappy with the U3415W.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you really like the proportions, that means 16:10 and there's no way around that. If it's the extra pixels, remember that 1440 is already taller than 1200, so consider how often you find yourself wanting a bit more than a bit more height. I find 1080 vertically cramped but have no problems whatsoever with 1440 that make me want 1600, so I think 1200 is the inflection point where diminishing returns start. It'd take 4K to really make me think the height was worth it because then I could stack windows pretty well outside a few small things I can do fine by 1440.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The OP's recommendations seem to be quite out of date. I'm looking for a second monitor for home use. I currently have an HP IPS 24" from 2009 which I'm happy with and want probably a 20\22" to have vertical next to it. This will be used for browsing while I'm gaming. Cheap is good but not sure if I have to get another IPS?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

The OP's recommendations seem to be quite out of date. I'm looking for a second monitor for home use. I currently have an HP IPS 24" from 2009 which I'm happy with and want probably a 20\22" to have vertical next to it. This will be used for browsing while I'm gaming. Cheap is good but not sure if I have to get another IPS?

I'd recommend an IPS screen for that usage, mainly because you want good viewing angles if it's going to be off to one side.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd recommend an IPS screen for that usage, mainly because you want good viewing angles if it's going to be off to one side.

Okay. Has monitor technology changed enough since 2009 that maybe I should replace my HP and then use that as my secondary?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Okay. Has monitor technology changed enough since 2009 that maybe I should replace my HP and then use that as my secondary?

You don't have to but It's probably better to do that since the new monitor would have better image quality than your old one. How much were you looking to spend and are you looking for something about the same size as your current monitor or something larger?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How acceptable is vertical banding in larger displays and TVs? Is this something that is inevitable?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a 75" TV and have never noticed any. It would make me quite cross.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You don't have to but It's probably better to do that since the new monitor would have better image quality than your old one. How much were you looking to spend and are you looking for something about the same size as your current monitor or something larger?

24" 1080p IPS and on the cheap side if possible.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

24" 1080p IPS and on the cheap side if possible.
Just go to NewEgg or your other vendor of choice and search for one. I'm really not joking--that specific market segment is saturated by good options, so really you just need to pick one that meets your needs in terms of price vs looks vs random other features you might want (USB ports, adjustable stand, inputs, etc). Most monitors in that segment from known names (ASUS, Dell, HP, etc) will all be perfectly acceptable, especially if you just want to use it as a secondary monitory.

On that note, things have progressed a bit since '09, to the point where you can probably find a monitor now for <$200 that will have better input lag than your current HP without much effort. Just a thought.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

For what it's worth I have a U3014 and it's great.

I use it mostly in sRGB and with an icc profile that fixes the slight green tint it came with for everyday/gaming stuff.

That said, it's not a very good monitor for gaming (especially the big pixel overshoot which creates halos around fast moving light/shiny objects) and in retrospect I would sacrifice the reproduction gains for gaming gains.

If I were buying today I would probably get an Acer XB270HU.

I've thought about getting one anyway, to replace my crappy old 24" BenQ as a second monitor, but I'm going to have a really hard time stepping down from 16:10 and 30" as a primary display after having experienced it; the real estate is amazing.

Someone should make something like the XB270HU but in 30" 16:10.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 19, 2015

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Are there some better 144Hz G-Sync/ULMB IPS/VA options coming out between now and Christmas? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a XB270HU but I can wait if there's something better in the pipeline. I may even a prefer a 24in option.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Jack the Lad posted:

Someone should make something like the XB270HU but in 30" 16:10.

That would be fantastic. In the absence of it, though, I think, with the games I tend to play, the gaming drawbacks of the U3014 will not be particularly prominent. I will need a good icc profile for it, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

dy. posted:

Are there some better 144Hz G-Sync/ULMB IPS/VA options coming out between now and Christmas? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a XB270HU but I can wait if there's something better in the pipeline. I may even a prefer a 24in option.

Acer has the z35 coming out for about $1000, 35" 2560x1080p 144/g-sync VA.

They also have a 34" 3440x1440p IPS 75/g-sync which will be about $1300.

Asus has their version of the same thing coming as well that will probably overclock to a higher amount of hz, but details are more scarce.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dy. posted:

Well, there's Acer's own refresh model, the XB271hu coming at some point, which will presumably be a bit less hit or miss.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

That would be fantastic. In the absence of it, though, I think, with the games I tend to play, the gaming drawbacks of the U3014 will not be particularly prominent. I will need a good icc profile for it, though.

I have the 3014, and while the Acer 270hu certainly blows it away for gaming, the only time it's atrocious pixel overdrive was really obnoxious in games for me was in War Thunder. Dark player nameplates against the bright light blue sky was pretty much the perfect situation to show off how bad the overshoot effect is.

Why Dell didn't make that a god damned option like it is on other panels is a mystery to me.

30" 16:10 is far larger physically than 27" 16:9 though, too. 27" 16:9 tends to be about the same physical dimensions as a 24" 16:10 monitor.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Well, there's Acer's own refresh model, the XB271hu coming at some point, which will presumably be a bit less hit or miss.
Thanks, I will likely pick that up.

Monitors are so weird now. Why do the nice ones have speakers in them? And who is buying these ultrawide gaming monitors? They can't be selling all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dy. posted:

The ASUS PG348Q is supposed to drop in November, I believe.

Question for the field: DisplayPort can carry USB in either direction, but I've never heard of a monitor using its DP connection for that. Are they out there?